It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm 

Rumpole: I could not find proper discussion forum please move this post as necessary and accept my apologies sir.

Maybe this is a good place to document news links and such for these type of cases ? :

(/me wishes the Kunz case was solved)

Anyway:

Logan street closed as police investigate ‘very credible tip’ regarding location of missing girl
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/05/uncle-of-missing-utah-girl-charged-with-murder/

and

Elizabeth Shelley’s body has been recovered, uncle’s attorney says
https://www.ksl.com/article/46562499/uncle-of-elizabeth-shelley-charged-with-murder-girl-not-yet-found

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:32 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks WKC

It looks like a "crime" and so I'll move your new thread to "General Crimes and Trials" :)

If it develops into something more... like a perp and a trial it might require expanding on

This is all new to me... sadly there are too many tragic cases for anybody to keep up with.

The Images I pulled out and added to your post are a HUGE memory trigger to the case of Caylee Anthony.. Missing... lots of pictures of a very cute 2 year old....but then her body found.. pictures of a Canopy over remains location..... then all that followed from that.
It was the Anthony case that was my first serious case to follow closely online. I joined Websleuths, and later Justarse Quest and got very involved. After being BANNED I started my own forum...Random Topics... so a real sense of Deja Vu seeing this case.

Body found on "Day 5" of search...At least in this case there were not MONTHS of BS "Missing child"... crazy mother and Grandparents on TV every night.

I don't want to SIDETRACK this new case with the Anthony case... but allow me just one vid (of mine) that summarizes the Anthony case...

Casey Anthony - The KC Files

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:04 pm 
ADMIN

Seems they had NOT found the body at the time of reports and presser?

They are charging the perp anyway.... and body has since been found.

Uncle of missing 5-year-old Utah girl charged with her murder, police say
By Chris Boyette, Ray Sanchez, Madeline Holcombe, CNN
Updated 2039 GMT (0439 HKT) May 29, 2019

(CNN) The uncle of a 5-year-old Utah girl who went missing from her family's home on Saturday was formally charged with aggravated murder Wednesday, hours after investigators had held out hope of finding Elizabeth Shelley alive, police said.
Alex Whipple, 21, who has been the main suspect in the girl's disappearance, was also charged with a count of child kidnapping, two counts of obstruction of justice and a count of desecration of a body, said Logan City Police Chief Gary Jensen.

...more at link
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/29/us/u ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:09 pm 
ADMIN

Police Announce Missing 5-Year-Old Girl is Dead - Press Conference

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm 
ADMIN

Alex Whipple: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Alex Whipple is a 21-year-old Utah man who is being questioned by authorities in connection to the disappearance of his niece Elizabeth Shelley. Whipple has been arrested on a prior warrant, and his bond is set at $25,000. He has not been charged formally with any crimes related to the disappearance of Elizabeth Shelley.

Five-year-old Elizabeth Shelley was reported missing on May 25 at 10 a.m. She was last seen around 2 a.m. sleeping in her family’s Logan, Utah home. Logan City Police reported that Alex Whipple was at the family home on the night of May 24, but in the morning both Whipple and Elizabeth were gone.

Cache County Police found Whipple in Hyrum, Utah, about 10 miles from the Shelley home in Logan. According to Logan City Police, Whipple has not been cooperative in questioning.

....more at link
https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/alex-whipple/

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm 
ADMIN

Body of missing 5-year-old Lizzy Shelley found; uncle charged with aggravated murder, kidnapping and other counts
By Erin Alberty
Published: 5 hours ago
Updated: 8 minutes ago

The body of 5-year-old Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley was found Wednesday afternoon, according to the attorney for her uncle, who has been charged with her murder.

...more at link
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/05/29/ ... l-collect/

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pm 

Rumpole that is appreciated and understood.

We can never keep up with all the evil in this world. This was semi local to me and on the news last few days.

I was under impression they are still searching for the body but reports changing as I post it seems... so things developing today.

(Also wow you dug up a lot of info links fast!)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 pm 
ADMIN

Attorney: Body of missing 5-year-old Elizabeth Jessica Shelley found
abc4utah
Published on May 29, 2019

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 am 
ADMIN

Another Presser after body found.

Here is Fox13 fb link
https://www.facebook.com/fox13newsutah/ ... 715295394/

I will look for a Youtube version...

Police confirm they've found remains in Lizzy Shelley case
abc4utah
Published on May 29, 2019

The bargain was to take Death Penalty off the table...
Perp Provided a MAP
Body in area close to home, that was searched, but body missed (just like Anthony case)
In same area they found evidence items, and searched thoroughly (they thought)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:19 am 
ADMIN

Body of missing 5-year-old Lizzy Shelley found after negotiations with her uncle, who has been charged with aggravated murder
By Erin Alberty, Taylor Stevens
Published: 14 hours ago, Updated: 3 hours ago

Whipple disclosed the location of Lizzy’s body, buried under leaves and debris in a wooded area about a quarter mile from her home, said Shannon Demler, Whipple’s attorney. Demler said he took police to the site, and the girl’s body was recovered about 1 p.m.; police gave a slightly later timeframe.

Jensen noted that Whipple had offered the information in exchange for prosecutors taking the death penalty “off the table." Investigators have not established a motive for the crime.
[......]

Charging documents allege that Lizzy’s blood was found on Whipple’s wristwatch and a hooded sweatshirt that he was wearing when he was arrested on Saturday. On the grounds of a nearby charter school, investigators found a broken knife that had Lizzy’s blood on it and matched the brand of a knife that was missing from her family’s kitchen, according to charges.

Officers also found a piece of PVC pipe that carried a partial palm print in a red substance; the palm print matched Whipple’s hand, according to charges. A block from the school, a homeowner found a beer can that had Whipple’s DNA on it, police wrote.

About 50 yards from the parking lot, investigators also found a teal blue skirt — clothing that Lizzy was last seen wearing — “hastily buried” under some dirt and bark. The skirt also had blood on it, according to charges.

Police found Lizzy’s body near 455 W. Center St., “in the general area that we’d found several of the evidence items,” Jensen said Wednesday. "We felt we’d searched that area hard. I’d love to share a picture of the area that her body was found, just because it’s amazing the overgrowth and the difficulty of the scene.”
[....]

Charging documents say that Lizzy’s mother, her mother’s live-in boyfriend and Whipple had stayed up late Friday night drinking beer and rum and playing video games. The couple went to bed and Whipple stayed the night on the couch.

The girl’s mother told police she last saw her daughter in her bed around midnight, and said the girl was wearing a teal skirt with white lace and a Fourth of July-themed shirt.

When the couple woke up at around 9:30 a.m. the next morning, Lizzy and Whipple were gone — and the front door was wide open. They called police.

The mother told investigators that she didn’t know where Whipple would have taken Lizzy, according to charges, and said he didn’t have a vehicle and often walked or rode a skateboard. His skateboard and cellphone had been left at the home.

...more at link
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/05/29/ ... l-collect/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:28 pm 

Thanks Rumpole!

What a fucked deal...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:17 pm 

So I said to myself... self I said:

How did the dogs not find this body sooner?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 pm 
ADMIN

No doubt this case is tragic, but I think sadly it is now "just" a murder like so many others. A lot of the public (and media) interest was in the fact that a child was MISSING... the search etc.
Now it's "mystery solved". I would guess the guy will plead guilty? We may get a bit more detail, but it seems clear that (drunk) uncle murdered the girl while he was "in a drunken state". I guess likely a sexual advance gone horribly wrong? He dumped the body nearby with no hope of getting away with it. I see the lawyer is already talking about "mental illness. :roll
Often a "defense" that is tried, but rarely works. The standard of knowing right from wrong at the time of the offense is usually met.
It may be some time before the case is advanced through the court system, and national media coverage may miss updates?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm 
ADMIN

Here is Daily Mail coverage. The mail in UK is just as biased as other comapnies... but they do have a knack of including clear phots with their stories :)

Police confirm buried remains found in Utah belong to a missing five-year-girl after her uncle, 21, is charged with her murder and was 'caught licking blood off his hands in interrogation room after his arrest'

• The body of Elizabeth 'Lizzy' Shelley was found on Wednesday less than a block from her home in Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Her 21-year-old uncle Alex Whipple, who is charged with her murder, led police to the dirt-covered body
  • Authorities only confirmed the little girl's identity on Thursday afternoon
  • Her body was found hidden under trees and brush heavily wooded area less than a block from her home five days after she went missing
  • The discovery came hours after he was charged with murder and other counts
  • Whipple provided the map in exchange for prosecutors taking the death penalty off the table

By Emily Crane and Snejana Farberov For Dailymail.com
Published: 08:28 AEST, 31 May 2019 | Updated: 11:00 AEST, 31 May 2019

Police have confirmed that human remains found hidden under a tree in Utah belong to a missing five-year-old girl who was taken from her home and allegedly murdered by her uncle.

The body of Elizabeth 'Lizzy' Shelley was found on Wednesday less than a block from her home in Salt Lake City after her 21-year-old uncle Alex Whipple led police to the dirt-covered body.

Authorities only confirmed the little girl's identity on Thursday afternoon.

...more at link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... elley.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:56 pm 

Yes sir. I agree. Mystery solved. I am *glad* it is. When I posted I had no idea it would unravel so quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 pm 
ADMIN

911 call released reporting 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley missing
KUTV2News
Published on May 30, 2019

(**This call has been edited to protect personal identifying information. It also contains information that may be unsettling to some listeners.**) Logan Police released the 911 call that its dispatch received reporting 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley missing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14 pm 
ADMIN

‘Live like Lizzy:’ Family and friends remember the 5-year-old girl for her joyful, loving nature
By Jessica Miller

Logan - She was the type of little girl who kicked off her shoes so she could feel the dirt between her toes, a 5-year-old who befriended every bug she saw and who loved to splash in the mud.

Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley enjoyed picking flowers, so much that her mother had to set a rule during their walks: She could only pick one flower per yard, per day.

And when it was nighttime, Lizzy would look up at the sky and exclaim, “Wow! The moon!” If she didn’t think her mom was listening, she would announce once more, “Mom, did you hear what I just said? There’s a moon!”

...more at link
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/06/04/ ... old-lizzy/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14 pm 
ADMIN

Uncle charged with killing 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley appears in Utah court
Lauren Bennett,
June 4, 2019

LOGAN, Utah (KSL.com) — Alexander Whipple, the man charged with killing his 5-year-old niece, Elizabeth Shelley, appeared in 1st District Court Monday and the county prosecutor said the state is looking to “lock him up for the rest of his life.”

Whipple, 21, was charged Wednesday — before police found Elizabeth’s body — with aggravated murder and child kidnapping, both first-degree felonies; two counts of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony; and abuse or desecration of a body, a third-degree felony.

The court didn’t set a date for the preliminary hearing Monday but instead made a decision to set a preliminary hearing date on June 24 at another court hearing. Whipple stayed silent during his court appearance and the judge ordered he be held without bail.

...more at link
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/06/u ... tah-court/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:34 pm 

Rumpole = Master of Google search apparently!

I am local and I learn new facts here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 am 

The pic of that guy is downright scary. Brother or not he would not be allowed at my home, given the few details given about him. Plus the scary.
The father of little girl not even in her life. Terrible situation.