It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm 
ADMIN

IANAL
But it seems to me that there have been MANY instances where Nelson's rulings seem to fly in the face of the what seems to be correct. (supported by ration legal opinions expressed on line) and so there may well have been several previous matters that could have been referred to DCA.
I guess lawyers use that "big stick" sparingly... but perhaps now the gloves should be off... and if Nelson persists in shonky rulings they should be referred to a "Grown up" (DCA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 pm 
ADMIN

Rumpole wrote:
And by calling it something it's not... some people get confused.

murderbythebook wrote:
That's because some people don't have any idea how statutes are written. It can be called a stand your ground hearing because that is exactly what it is.

NO

It CAN NOT reasonably be called a "Strand your ground" hearing in this case (for instance) ..... because it is NOT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm 

murderbythebook wrote:
So what I said is true. Some call it an immunity hearing and some call it stand your ground. Most call it stand your ground.

No, it's not a "stand your ground" hearing; it is an immunity hearing, also known as a self-defense immunity hearing. Just because "most people" call it a "stand your ground" hearing doesn't make that term correct or accurate. And in fact, Nelson corrected super-prosecutor BDLR on that exact point, in the last hearing.

murderbythebook wrote:
It just doesn't have a separate statute on it's own.

Yes, it does have its own statute: 776.032. Here it is, in its entirety.

The concept of a hearing isn't actually in the statute. The statute merely indicates that one who is justified in the use of force in the referenced statutes is immune. Previous trial courts have established that immunity is determined at a pre-trial hearing.

The so-called "stand your ground" clause is part of a separate statute, 776.013. The term "stand his or her ground" appears in Section 3 of statute 776.013.

The standard justification for use of force, including deadly force, in self-defense, is in yet another statute, 776.012. This standard self-defense statute does not mention "stand your ground":
776.012 wrote:
However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

Claiming self-defense under 776.012 does not require or even imply invoking the right to stand one's ground; thus, immunity granted on the basis of 776.012 would likewise have nothing to do with the "stand your ground" section in 776.013. Therefore, it would be inaccurate to refer to such a hearing as a "stand your ground" hearing.

"Stand your ground" simply does not apply to this case. It never did. Zimmerman was attacked, feared for his life, and was thus justified in defending himself with deadly force. Zimmerman never had the means or opportunity to choose to flee or to stand his ground, because he was restrained by his attacker and prevented from attempting to flee.

The distinction is important, because the conflation of "stand your ground" in this case is intentional, in order to push a narrative to support a political agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
NO

It CAN NOT reasonably be called a "Strand your ground" hearing in this case (for instance) ..... because it is NOT!

I'm not talking about this case. I am talking about the statute.

776.013(3)
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Last edited by murderbythebook on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm 

Rumpole wrote:

murderbythebook wrote:
That's because some people don't have any idea how statutes are written. It can be called a stand your ground hearing because that is exactly what it is.

And what of those defendants who invoke immunity using 776.012, and without reference to 776.013? Why would such defendants' immunity hearings be called a "stand your ground" hearing?

murderbythebook wrote:
ETA

776.013(3)
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

That's not the immunity statute. The immunity statute is 776.032. It explicitly applies to the justified use of force per multiple statutes, not merely the statute that includes the so-called "stand your ground" clause.

Last edited by chipbennett on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 pm 
ADMIN

murderbythebook wrote:

I'm not talking about this case. I am talking about the statute.

But it is more precise to use the term "Immunity Hearing" Covering when the SYG statute is evoked as well as when it is not.

And in this case (which is what we are discussing) it is WRONG to call it a "Stand Your Ground" hearing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 pm 

Rumpole wrote:

Sooooooooo true! :83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 pm 

chipbennett wrote:

That's not the immunity statute. The immunity statute is 776.031. It explicitly applies to the justified use of force per multiple statutes, not merely the statute that includes the so-called "stand your ground" clause.

I believe you are mixed up with stand your ground hearing before trial and regular self defense at trial.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 pm 

Rumpole wrote:

auscitizenmom wrote:
Sooooooooo true! :83

That confusion is intentional.

In most any jurisdiction, a person who is attacked has the right to defend himself. In most any jurisdiction, when your attacker has broken your nose, knocked you to the ground, mounted you, prevented you from escaping, and continues to assault you, you have the right to defend yourself with deadly force.

"Stand your ground" simply does not apply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
That's not the immunity statute. The immunity statute is 776.032. It explicitly applies to the justified use of force per multiple statutes, not merely the statute that includes the so-called "stand your ground" clause.

murderbythebook wrote:

I believe you are mixed up with stand your ground hearing before trial and regular self defense at trial.

No, I'm not confused - though I did have, and corrected, a typo. The immunity statute is 776.032 (I had written "031", which is the use of force in defense of another person.)

Please cite the statute that references a "stand your ground" hearing, pre-trial or otherwise.

(I'll save you the time and effort; there is no such statute. There is only the immunity statute, 776.032.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm 

Even BDLR is forced to refer to the immunity hearing as an immunity hearing:
http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/0413/mo ... nquiry.pdf

But he just can't drop old habits. He qualifies the immunity hearing as "immunity hearing (self-defense/stand your ground)" and "immunity (self-defense/stand your ground) hearing ".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... ack-voices

George Zimmerman's 'Stand Your Ground' Defense Deadline Looming

"I know the state would like to have that information, it seems. I don't feel compelled to advise anybody of my strategy in this case," O'Mara said.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
Even BDLR is forced to refer to the immunity hearing as an immunity hearing:
http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/0413/mo ... nquiry.pdf

But he just can't drop old habits. He qualifies the immunity hearing as "immunity hearing (self-defense/stand your ground)" and "immunity (self-defense/stand your ground) hearing ".

FGS it is the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm 

And note that the official court docket refers to the hearing as an immunity hearing:
docket wrote:
02/14/2013 MNF MINUTES FOR MOTION BEFORE JUDGE DEBRA S NELSON
02/14/2013 MNFD --HAS SET ASIDE THE WEEKS OF 4/22/13 AND 4/29/13 FOR IMMUNITY HEARINGS...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
"Stand your ground" simply does not apply.

And, that is what Omara said. :83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:32 pm 

Sorry you are fighting a losing battle. Just because the press decided to call it something it is not doesn't make it true. Trayvon wasn't a candy eating baby either.

Chip is 100% right and arguing with him isn't going to change it. In fact the so called Stand Your Ground law isn't called SYG in the statute at all. It is a phrase that the media came up with to define what the statute really says.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm 

murderbythebook wrote:

No, it's not.

If Zimmerman doesn't invoke 776.013, but instead only invokes 776.012, then he's not claiming that he was standing his ground. He's merely claiming that he was justified in the use of deadly force to defend himself against the commission of a forcible felony, and/or out of reasonable fear of imminent risk of life or great bodily harm.

"He didn't have to get out of his car..." is a direct challenge to Stand Your Ground. I refuse to let that conflation remain unchallenged, because I refuse to life in a society that expects law-abiding citizens to cower in their homes and cars, abrogating our freedoms lest we find ourselves faced with violent criminals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 pm 

auscitizenmom wrote:
And, that is what Omara said. :83

I know what O'Mara said and I have never said it does apply. Just what it is called. :wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
ADMIN

murderbythebook wrote:

It is very much is NOT "the same thing"

The internet is FULL of people banging on about "Stand your ground" and how it applies to GZ... when it is NOT part of this case at all.

Using incorrect language is (IMO) done on purpose to confuse people (especially potential Jurors)

murderbythebook wrote:
I know what O'Mara said and I have never said it does apply. Just what it is called. :wall

but its is NOT what it is called in this case... for you to be perpetuating the INCORRECT term when posting about THIS CASE.. is adding to the confusion...

Give it a rest!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
No, it's not.

If Zimmerman doesn't invoke 776.013, but instead only invokes 776.012, then he's not claiming that he was standing his ground. He's merely claiming that he was justified in the use of deadly force to defend himself against the commission of a forcible felony, and/or out of reasonable fear of imminent risk of life or great bodily harm.

"He didn't have to get out of his car..." is a direct challenge to Stand Your Ground. I refuse to let that conflation remain unchallenged, because I refuse to life in a society that expects law-abiding citizens to cower in their homes and cars, abrogating our freedoms lest we find ourselves faced with violent criminals.

I believe this case is a regular self defense. The state wants them to say they are not using stand your ground elements in the trial.

ETA immunity elements. Is that better? You won. Congrats.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next