It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:56 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:59 am 

Support group forms for fired beach officer

"The Volusia County beach officer fired over his messages and Facebook comments about Trayvon Martin has support from a growing number of people who say the firing violated his First Amendment rights and unfairly ended the career of a good officer."

"What’s coming next: some form of protest against the “cowardly damn politicians that don’t want to stand up against race baiters,” organizer Greg Gimbert said Saturday."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... ch-officer

https://www.facebook.com/supporttoddsni ... ts&fref=ts

Pushback time! I believe this officer will appeal his firing and it's good to see others publicly taking his side.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 am 

Amen! Yay! So glad and I hope this keeps snowballing out of the BGI's control! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 am 

liesel wrote:
Amen! Yay! So glad and I hope this keeps snowballing out of the BGI's control! :D

:98 :87 :91 :slap :95 :35 :69 :26 :17 :52 :N3 :Q7
That's all I have to say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:19 am 

A picture is worth a thousand words! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:26 am 

This guy does tell it like it is about Trayparents™:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:37 am 

SuzanneGamboa-ConnieCass wrote:
A look at federal role in civil rights cases

Associated Press/Orlando Sentinel, Gary W. Green, Pool - FILE - In this July 13, 2013, file photo, George Zimmerman, center, talks to his attorneys Don West, left, and Mark O'Mara during jury deliberations …

WASHINGTON (AP) — Almost as soon as George Zimmerman was pronounced "not guilty" in a Florida courtroom, the cry went up.

The U.S. government must get "justice for Trayvon," insisted protesters angry about the fatal shooting of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin. The call will resound again later this month through events marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.

Attorney General Eric Holder, the first black man to lead the nation's law enforcement, says the Justice Department is investigating.

Why would the feds consider stepping into a state murder case?

The federal government has claimed its power of protecting civil rights against violence as far back as the Reconstruction era. Empowered by constitutional amendments and early civil rights laws passed after the Civil War, the government sought to protect newly freed blacks and their voting rights, mostly from the Ku Klux Klan.

But then court decisions, the end of Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow laws essentially "defanged" the federal government of its power to police civil rights when state and local governments would not, said Darrell Miller, a Duke University law professor.

It wasn't until the 1960s civil rights movement — exemplified by the historic Aug. 28, 1963, march — that new laws began strengthening the federal role.

Now, the Justice Department is expected to pursue civil rights prosecutions. But in many cases that inflame racial passions, federal prosecutors don't find the evidence needed to support civil rights charges.

A look at some cases through history:

Read more at Yahoo! News.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:14 pm 

This article has nearly 3000 comments.

I left my job over a computer-desktop hoodie
By Brenda Howard, Published: August 16

So, I went to my computer and composed a letter of resignation. It would be the last document I would ever complete at my workplace of six years. It wasn’t easy, but it also wasn’t hard. Either way, the real problem remained. When everything was said and done, the life of a young man who should have made it home safely that night still had been cut short.

Full article... http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm 

Hiya, FreeGZ! Thanks for the link. Did you take a look at the comments? Do they seem to be more pro-rule-of-law or do they seem to be more imprinted racist rantings? I won't have time to look for a while - irl things to do. ;)

Anyway, for those who don't want to give hits to such a sorry, whiny piece of smug, narcissistic nonsense, here is the gist of it:

Quote:
...But that’s not what happened in my case. On Aug. 1, at the end of a long work day, my boss called me into his office. Apparently, during the two weeks since I had selected the hoodie image for my computer desktop, some of my co-workers had complained. They felt that this image, which could be seen only when I logged in or minimized all the windows open on my screen, was inappropriate. My boss, looking distressed, told me that I had to change it.

There was no room for discussion between him and me or me and them. There would be no way to explain, to anyone who felt frightened or threatened by what I had done, that I wasn’t making some call to arms, or a black-power salute, or in fact trying to express any anger at all. It was merely an image of a piece of clothing worn by a young man who was wrongfully killed. By displaying it, I was simply saying that I was sad.

Yeah, the coworkers were "threatened" and "frightened" - not that she talked to any of them, by her own admission. She just knows that's how they felt. And she's just saying she's sad, not saying she supports a thug who viciously attacked an innocent man. And anyone who's not ok with TM™'s actions is the one with a problem, not the one so blinded by race that she wouldn't bother to get the facts. :wall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:41 pm 

Sorry - still fuming over that ignorant wretches piece published in a widely circulated publication - Yeah, she doesn't have strong feelings; just showing she was "sad" that's why she quit her job in this economy. And when one quits a job, they're generally not eligible for unemployment, unless there's a new TM™ exception? I hope she rues that day and grows up at least a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:55 pm 

FreeGZ wrote:
This article has nearly 3000 comments.I left my job over a computer-desktop hoodie
By Brenda Howard, Published: August 16

Stupid Woman. One of those "I have a right to my opinion that you should all hear, and you should all shut up." And, in my opinion, along with the jury and the law, Traythug was not "wrongfully killed." :TF And, evidently a lot of people agree. :38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:12 pm 

Yes, very much the most important people, auscitizenmom, the jury, and also Florida law agreed with you. :D

I also agree, stupid woman wanted to inflict her opinions on her co-workers without them being allowed to voice any opposition. That was a look-at-me-how-special-I-am move, imo.

I skimmed some of the comments there and saw a lot of people pointing out that it was her work computer, not her personal space. She is allowed to have whatever she wants at home or on her iPad, or other personal property outside of the workplace. But no, so special her had to have her way at work. I'd be willing to bet a lot that her co-workers were glad to see her go, and for more reasons than the wallpaper she chose without permission for her work computer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

My guess is there's more to the story than she's saying. I find it hard to believe there were no discussions among her coworkers about the case. She probably was in the minority on her opinion and put the picture up as her own "protest". I suspect she was going to quit anyone, just using this as an excuse. Now she becomes another "victim" of those racists who don't agree with her.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:51 pm 

I agree there is more to the story - her passive/aggressive tendencies didn't likely start with the GZ case, and her co-workers may have been sick of her for years. I got the impression from reading her whining that there wasn't any discussion of the case or anything else, at least with her, kwim? Her co-workers may be normal people that tired quickly of dealing with the perpetual victim mentality she apparently loved enough to quit her job over it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

Saturday August 17, 2013 Ms. Sybrina Fulton will sit in on the Panel: “Racial Profiling: Life to Death.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/life-de ... is-weekend

While her and Crump were there, article doesn't say much about what/if they contributed to the discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:15 pm 

:Gslap - I think we can make an educated guess what they contributed - and we can bet some of it was very in our tickle it! :lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:15 pm 

And a quasi-rebuttal - not intended as such, but I found it to be a good fit:

JohnBoot wrote:
5 Ways Lee Daniels’ The Butler Rewrites History to Suit Liberals
The film fails to treat the Civil Rights movement with the seriousness it deserves.

The Oscar-for-Oprah campaign starts now, with the oversimplified Hollywood tearjerker Lee Daniels’ The Butler, a film by the director of Precious that plays Hollywood’s white liberal guilt like a Stradivarius. Marching through the decades like a chocolate Gump, the title character (Forest Whitaker) is a stolid, nonpolitical White House servant (Winfrey plays his wife) in every administration from Eisenhower to Reagan. Through his eyes we witness many of the most telling chapters of the Civil Rights epic. But the movie doesn’t treat the topic with the seriousness it deserves. Here are five big conceptual errors in the movie.

5. It overstates its case.

Whitaker’s Butler is a tortured soul (largely the creation of screenwriter Danny Strong, who also wrote the Sarah Palin hatefest Game Change) who has known all kinds of heartbreak, but the Washington Post article about a real long-serving White House butler that was the original basis for the movie is free of the anguish or anger with which the movie is loaded. In the first two or three minutes there are references to two lynchings, a rape (of the butler’s mother) and a racist murder (of his father). None of these things happened to the actual butler, who also didn’t have an activist son or another son who died in the Vietnam War.

Read more at PJMedia.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 pm 

I swiped this from the PJMedia article linked above. Yeah, I know because of who is being quoted, some (not pointing at you, Rumpole - at least not that you can see ;) ) may think this fits better in the political snippets thread, but I'm posting here because I feel that it appropriately describes one aspect of the injustice suffered by GZ. Please don't auto-reject the sentiment because of who is quoted!

LMK what you think - quickly! Before Rumpole moves it! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
ADMIN

H/T Sundance, CTH...

Trayvon Martin’s Mother Tells David Gregory: Stop and Frisk Is Racial Profiling
by Evan McMurry | 1:29 pm, August 18th, 2013

On Meet the Press Sunday morning, Trayvon Martin’s mother Sabrina Fulton denounced New York City’s Stop and Frisk law, arguing that it was part and parcel with the racial profiling George Zimmerman used when he approached Martin before the fatal shooting.

“I think it’s all about laws,” she told host David Gregory. “You have to give, not only civilians, but the police officers the right direction. You can’t give people the authority, whether it’s civilians or police officers, the right to stop someone because of the color of their skin.”

“Arizona has SB1070, New York has Stop and Frisk,” Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump said. “No matter what you want to call it, essentially it’s racial profiling. And we know Trayvon Martin was profiled that night, and he had broken no law, he was just walking home. That’s the problem: when you start this racial profiling, it’s a slippery slope. It’s so bad for so many in the community. Where does it stop? How do we protect our children when you give police or neighborhood watch authority to profile us?”

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly had appeared earlier on the program to defend Stop and Frisk. He argued that the Trayvon Martin case had little to do with the law, as Zimmerman was not a police officer.

...more at link
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trayvon-mart ... profiling/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next