It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 pm 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn to go on trial for murder of Jordan Davis in September
Published: 4/09

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The man who claimed self-defense in shooting Jordan Davis to death will go on trial in September.

A judge set a trial date of September 23 for Michael Dunn. He is accused of the first-degree murder of 17-year-old Jordan Davis last year.

The attorney for the family of Jordan Davis says the trial should last about five days.

Defense attorneys argued for more time, saying they needed at least six months to go over all the evidence.

The shooting happened at a Gate gas station on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.

Police say Dunn got into an argument over loud music with a SUV full of teenagers, including Davis.

Dunn asked the teens to turn down their music. He told police the teenagers flashed a shotgun before he opened fire on their SUV, killing Davis.

Police never found a weapon in the teenager's SUV.

Dunn also faces three counts of attempted murder.

...more at link
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/to ... Jlf-Q.cspx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 am 

State Attorney Angela Corey is personally prosecuting this case

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013 ... z2YiHQTKcN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 am 

John M. Phillips

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M._Phillips

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm 

Another stand your ground case coming up in Florida.

http://www.nonprofitquarterly.org/polic ... davis.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm 

Color me surprised Fred is jumping on the Dunn bandwagon. Guess he and his merry band of bobble heads need a victory.

http://frederickleatherman.com/2013/07/ ... ndictment/

Sad to say though, this one might be another toughy for Coreys SAO in Jax. Murder 1 is a stretch although I think Dunn was a Morin in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am 

Don't worry, they will ask for lesser included charges all of the way down to firing a firearm in the vicinity of combustible material.

But Dunn is guilty as sin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 am 

I don't disagree. Dunn is going down. I just find it humorous the attempts to co-opt this case because they so desperately need a win. They can have it for all I am concerned.

And Dunn's a moron..not quite sure what a morin is :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm 

I have a very general sense of this case but haven't followed it closely. Please correct me if I'm wrong but iirc, Dunn was at a gas station, complained about loud music in the vehicle Davis was in, words were exchanged, Dunn saw or thought he saw the barrel of a shotgun being aimed at him from the other vehicle, and opened fire, killing Davis. Is that about it?

Very diametrically opposed views of the case but it may be hard to prove Dunn wasn't in fear. OTOH, other vehicle occupants will no doubt testify they did nothing, didn't threaten, etc. and of course, no weapon was found in the Davis vehicle which would tend to indicate Dunn didn't see what he thought he saw. Dunn was returning from a wedding, and could have been under the influence of alcohol. Wow! If Dunn is telling the truth, how messed up is this case? It seems fairly clear from what I've read so far that he's likely to be convicted of something, maybe a lesser included, but something. Wow...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:37 pm 

I have been on the fence about this case, because there was enough stupidity to go around for everyone. Dunn might be counting on the fact that at least one of the occupants is indeed a known gang banger.

And they drove off..he can easily claim they ditched the shotty.

Hard telling. Personally I don't think Dunn deserves my attention...I just don't know if I am going to follow this one. I am actually more interested in the Crystal Scott/Jonathan Ables Case in Houston...the reverse Zimmerman IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:06 pm 

Hi, thehoff71! I haven't heard about that case. I hope you start a thread on it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 am 
ADMIN

I see the Traybots are coming out of retirement (depression) to adopt this case.

It is becoming like a pacifier... but they don't miss a chance to make comparison with GZ case.

Same old morons saying the same old stuff. The case could be worth following just for the laughs from Traybot posts?

I can not see any news or developments. As far as I know trial is still scheduled to start September 23rd. I have no idea if it will be covered by MSM... or streamed online, but we can follow the trial news at least.

Post subject: move
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 am 

IDK. I side with them on the Dunn case. That he left the scene and returned to his hotel room leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

it is a common reaction that drunk drivers do when they have had a wreck (at least around these parts.) They run away only to be found later when their BAC is normal.

Freely admit, though, I haven't read the discovery or delved into it very much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 am 

Though I think the boys in the car may have been playing the badass role and possibly said "shoot the MFer", I also agree that alcohol may have played a big role in Dunn's reaction/shooting into the car. Had he stayed on the scene this would have been known as I'm sure the police would have ordered a breathalyzer or blood BAC test had they smelled alcohol on his breath or noticed any potential signs of intoxication.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 am 

I'm not so sure Dunn is going down though the odds are not in his favor.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/witness-sa ... index.html

Here's some things that I'm sure the defense is going to push hard in the trial.

Quote:
Seconds after 17-year-old Jordan Davis was shot outside a Gate gas station in November, a man was leaving The Loop restaurant with his sister and son next door.
He heard the gunshots and called police, telling the dispatcher he saw the driver and passenger get out of the red Dodge Durango that was carrying Davis and three other teens.
"One was on his cellphone looking back, and it looked like they were pretty much just -- I don't know if they were trying to stash something in the car or look for something or what, but it looked like they got out, kind of brushed themselves off and then they got back in," the witness told a 911 dispatcher.

A weapon could have been retrieved later in the evening when things had cooled down.

Quote:
Police never found a weapon either, but by their own admission, investigators didn't do a comprehensive search of the crime scene, including rooftops, until four days later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 am 

DebFrmHell wrote:
IDK. I side with them on the Dunn case. That he left the scene and returned to his hotel room leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

it is a common reaction that drunk drivers do when they have had a wreck (at least around these parts.) They run away only to be found later when their BAC is normal.

Freely admit, though, I haven't read the discovery or delved into it very much.

Nice to cyber see you, DebFrmHell!

I don't know enough about the Dunn case to have a firm opinion, and agree there are several points that make him look bad. What keeps me from running with that and firming up an opinion against Dunn are 1)the TM™ debacle and all of the lies told around it, meaning I can't know what's true or not about this case which may be another pack of lies to foment racial tensions and line the pockets of unscrupulous lawyers - once bitten twice shy and all of that; 2)the history of teens and especially groups of teens embracing a thug culture and the plausibility of them at least pretending to have a weapon and making threats; 3)that Dunn's gf was in the store so he couldn't very well leave her there to escape... off the top of my head, without following the case. Oh, and 4)JQ is against Dunn! :Gslap Good rule of thumb when in doubt is to go against JQ 'borg and Freddie's brain dead crew. :Gslap (Joking - I don't make any decisions based on anything any of them post.)

But again, the points you raised are just as, and maybe more important. I may watch the trial to figure out what's what, but the pre-trial hype, at least for now, isn't something I'm making time for. I hope the guy gets a fair trial; I hope GZ's case plays no role in it whether overtly or surreptitiously.

Of course, I'd want that for the 3 teens who viciously beat a younger boy on a school bus, if they weren't already virtually guaranteed a sentence of at most 9 months probation, no juvenile detention. Cos they were charged as minors, of course, and then may be able to get their records sealed in the future. I mean, we all know snitches get stiches, right? So that's not an aggravating circumstance, that's just following the thug code. :wall

Florida has charged a 12 year old as an adult for pushing his brother; another 11 or 12 old at the time of the crime of beating a homeless guy to death, part of a group of much older boys, tagging along for the most part, was charged as an adult and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole at the ripe old age of 14, iirc. But these three, a year older than him when he was sentenced, 3-4 years older at the time of the crime, they get charged as juveniles and get probation. Their victim only had a broken arm, ribs, and the snot beat out of him. SMH :wall Maybe when they kill someone for telling on their drug dealing they'll get tried as adults and actually sent to jail.

That's some really heart-wrenching daft going on in the Florida judicial system when it comes to minors, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:12 pm 

Hi there!!! Liesel, it is good to see you too.
:81

The youngster on the bus...I watched that video and in the beginning, he seems to be hiding his head while they are seated behind him. He knew what was coming from them. IMO, of course.

I need to read discovery for Dunn to see the evidence. But I really do not like that he left the scene after his GF ran out of the store, leaving her potential purchases on the counter.

I will look for some good links to it in the future if anyone cares to read it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Deb.

I need edumacating on this case... so love to see your links :give

IF there is enough to be of serious interest.. I could set up a Dunn Forum... with discussion thread and a thread for reference...documents etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm 

I have a lot of interest in this trial. Of course, the Traybots are doing the little black boy routine again, totally disregarding what part the 4, 17 to 19 year olds had to play in the tragedy as they cursed and threatened Dunn. Can Dunn show fear of those guys? I dunno. The radio business is annoying while the only comfort for those disturbed by the decibels is that those listening to the loud music are losing their hearing and will be sorry later as I am sure these guys are sorry they did not leave the music turned down. It was the teenager shot that insisted his pal turn the music back up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:36 am 

In my opinion, this case isn't anything like the Trayvon Martin case except that it involves a black young man.

I have posted about this "hey, look at me I'm enlightened" meme on political boards but nothing shows it more than this case. You can always tell when someone is doing this and it becomes more than silly. It is tantamount to people who always seem to preface their remarks with my black friend, my black son - anything that purports to show that they are enlightened. LOL

Unless something surprising comes up in court, this is a clear cut case of murder. Mr. Dunn was angry and he acted on that anger. He left the scene - I agree it was because he was drunk - and his story does not comport with the scene when the police arrived.

I can't imagine that a jury will find anything other than guilty in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 am 

Hiya, DebFmHell! :86

Yes, if you run across some info, please do post it here. Seems like there are a lot of contradictions. I don't really hold it against Dunn that he left the scene before one of Davis' friends used the weapon Dunn believed they had but I do blame him for not contacting LE. There are a couple of reports that indicate the possibility of the teens ditching a weapon, if one existed. Dunn was pretty specific on the exact weapon, it wasn't a vague "some kind of gun" to leave open the possibilities, kwim?

This case may be enough of a mess that even if guilty, it won't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Conversely, Dunn could be telling the truth but be convicted anyway because of the GZ verdict and fears of rioting/racism accusations that should have no impact on any trial.

I probably will watch the trial, if it's available, just to see what's real, kwim? After the GZ case, we all know the media will just plain make stuff up, edit to deceive, not report exculpatory info, etc. It's not as easy to do that at trial, but will be attempted by both sides, no doubt. Again, the GZ case showed us the state will do all the media did and more to try to get a conviction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next