It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRICKET BASICS - Q&A
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:25 pm 
ADMIN

Yes. Cricket is tricky to pick up. An acquired taste.

BUT..... I have managed to talk a few Yanks thru recent games. Some are "Fans" now.

There is a World Cup starting 14th Feb. In NZ and Australia this time around.

WC is good time to look at an unfamiliar sport. The only time I watch Soccer is WC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am 

Hmm.. I may check it out just to learn something new, I don't even know if I can get it on TV or if I would have to find it on the internet.

You can give me some advice on how to watch a "match"? See I don't even know what to call it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:39 am 
ADMIN

"Match" is ok so is "game"

Some games better than others. Reasonably good score for side batting first is more fun to watch than people batting but scoring few runs. Then also that sets a difficult target number of runs for team batting second. The playing surface (pitch) preparation, weather conditions and various things effect what IS a good score, but these days most pitches should be prepared to facilitate batting and a score of 250.. maybe 300+

It is hard to watch for entire 7 hours or so. Watch the start and see how game looks. If it is an exciting game the last hour or so is the most exciting bit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:04 am 

7 hours? Is that the normal length of a cricket match?

Post subject: CRICKET BASICS - Q&A
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:28 pm 
ADMIN

Cricket matches vary. At the International level the epitome of cricket is TEST CRICKET. That is a 5 day game! Weather permitting 5 x 8hr days in succession. However, The One day game (ODI) is now established as a legit International Contest, hence the World Cup.The length is 7+ hours. The limit is "50 overs" Each side bowls at the other for 50 overs. An over comprises a bowler bowling 6 times at the batsman.

is also now a shorter version T-20 (Twenty Twenty).

20 overs each way. Tends to be crash and bash.. big hits. International games played at night as a single evenings entertainment. It's fun to watch International sides, but I dont like it much as a form of cricket. It misses out on all the subtleties of cricket. History. Standards of fair-play, honour, strategy etc that are actually ingrained in (British) culture.

Post subject: Re: CRICKET BASICS - Q&A
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:56 pm 

I like this new folder! yay :52
Already know I will be using often during WC. Thanks, R :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:02 pm 
ADMIN

HOMEWORK

There will be a test on knowledge of basic cricket terms.. Time and date TBA :roll

Several sites have Glossary of Cricket terms..eg

Wanderers Cricket Club
GLOSSARY OF CRICKET TERMS & SAYINGS

http://www.wandererscricket.com/glossary.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 am 

Is the test going to be multiple choice or essay? :28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:15 am 
ADMIN

No multiple-guess :cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:17 pm 

Carm, Wiki is also my fave site for learning rules, terms etc :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm 

Thanks Molly :69 I'll start there Rumpole as I don't even know enough to ask a question yet :cry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm 
ADMIN

Questions not compulsory, if you watch a game or 2 feel free to ask... Molly can probably answer now.. she is almost fully trained ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 pm 
ADMIN

The tables etc drawn up prior to WC starting were based on 2012 rankings.
You might have heard cricket is a funny old game? Rankings do change game by game.. and even on average. Not surprised that 2012 order of teams not what I estimate from current form in 2015.

I do have list of pool teams posted and a points table link. That will only make any sense after a few games. Basically every team plays every other in their pool of 7.... so 6 games each. winning 3 or 4 will assure a place next round, and there may well be tension amongst bottom 4 teams. A "fight to the death to be the 1 of the 4 who progress to next round.

Not sure how they match up places in top 4 with next round ( I'll look it up)*.. but there could be some reasons to battle for higher place, even though thru to next round for sure. It may well give a match up with a team seen as "easier to beat" in the Quarter finals.

* See post
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1346&p=83656#p84278

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 pm 
ADMIN

Cricket point occurs to me as I watch.

Commentators talk about the ball "making the fence"

They actually mean the rope.

Historically the actual fence (usually pointed pickets) was the boundary that the ball had to reach (for a 4) or go over (for a 6). That was somewhat dangerous with fielding players running at fence to stop a ball.. also a bit ambiguous... a gutter or gap along bottom of fence added to ambiguity.

Nowadays the rope is used.. on some fields quite a way in from fence making playing field smaller.

However the HISTORY has commentators still referring to "clearing the fence" when they mean boundary rope. This may be confusing if you get the impression the fence beyond the rope means extra points.. it DOES NOT.

PS: hitting the rope on the full (or fence in old days) is counted as a 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 pm 
ADMIN

Just had WI batsman DM Bravo "retired hurt"
This happens on the odd occasion.. injured during play. The player CAN come back and continue his innings at the fall of a wicket (player out). However if unable to resume the team is deemed all out after 9 wickets down

Aside
In the BAD old days an injured player, capable of standing and batting, but not running between wickets, could have a "runner". Another player standing off to side of the wicket to do all the running. Dressed the same as injured player, same helmet etc and with a bat in hand. When done it was always a bit of a farce. Three players out there. Confusion over "run outs" in regard who had bat over the line etc. The practice has been abandoned for ODI's

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:58 pm 

THX. I really do enjoy reading these tidbits of information you have starting posting. Will mention on other Twitter acct. soon. Very helpful in understanding. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:36 pm 
ADMIN

Cricket Bowling Action

Watching Malinga bowl for Sri Lanka

Early nickname was "Malinga the Slinga" (slinger) implying that he THROWS the ball rather than bowls it.

NOT TRUE but his bowling action IS unique and was questioned early on.

Bowling rather than throwing the ball IS a rule of cricket. Over the years some bowlers actions have been questioned.

From Wikepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_%28cricket%29
Quote:
Bowling the ball is distinguished from throwing the ball by a strictly specified biomechanical definition which restricts the angle of extension of the elbow.

Umpires can (and have) call "no ball" it they do not aprove of the bowlers action. Bowlers have been forced to modify their action to comply.

Over the years some bowlers actions have been subject to ICC investigation and consideration before approval. Perhaps with some modification to comply.

TWO examples that come to mind are both Sri Lankan bowlers.. both "cleared" after some controversy to become renowned International bowlers.

Muttiah Muralitharan
A spin bowler whose (short) "run-up" and action was reminiscent of a convulsing spider.. arms and legs in all directions :)

Lasith Malinga
Bowls at pace.. but his action is is more a horizontal, rather than normal vertical arc of the arm. He caused quite a stir when he first arrived on the international scene. Batsmen had trouble "sighting" the ball as it left his hand. At point of release from the bowler's hand, the ball tends to appear directly in front of Umpire, rather than at a height above umpire's head, and off to the side. There were occasions where Umpires were asked to remove red tie (test cricket game) because the red ball blended with red tie material, or simply the red material was a distraction at critical point of sight.

Aside:
The background behind the bowlers arm is Controlled.. it does effect sighting of the ball. You will notice "sight screens"(black to contrast white ball in ODI. White to contrast red ball in Test cricket) and unoccupied seats directly back behind bowler, from batsman's point of view. Batsman can (and do) back away and wait if there is movement behind bowlers arm. From time to time spectators will meander across. Sometimes sun reflecting off windows etc can be an issue.
Even for minor games, cricket fields have sight-screens at edge of playing field..directly behind bowler at each end. Often moveable to match up with critical area.. which varies depending mainly which side of the stumps bowler chooses to bowl (Arm over or around the wickets)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:13 pm 
ADMIN

Underarm bowling incident of 1981

Oh and I HAVE to mention the INFAMOUS "Underarm incident" Where an Australian bowler was told by Captain (Greg Chappell (booo Hissss)) to bowl last ball of a game UNDERARM.. which was allowed under rules at that time. Straight arm rule said nothing about overarm vs underarm.. but it was stretching the spirit of game for sure ("Not Cricket"). Rule was changed after that.

The reason was to make it impossible to hit a boundary(6) off that ball, and so assure a win for Aust.

Wikepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_b ... nt_of_1981

Quote:
The underarm bowling incident of 1981 took place on 1 February 1981, when Australia were playing New Zealand in a One Day International cricket match, the third of five such matches in the final of the Benson & Hedges World Series Cup, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. To prevent New Zealand from having any chance of scoring the six they needed to tie, the Australian captain, Greg Chappell instructed his bowler (and younger brother), Trevor Chappell to deliver the last ball underarm, along the ground. This action was legal at the time, but nevertheless seen as being against the spirit of cricketing fair play.

Here is the vid. This was a great era in Cricket.. NZ cricket included. I was a big fan of these guys.. and Aust were arch rivals.
Note
The opening narrator of the item is Ian Chappell.. former Aust captain (still commentating today)retired already even back then. He is describing his younger brothers Greg and Trevor.
Note also YOUNG Ian Smith walking out. Former GREAT NZ wicket keeper (and occasional pinch-hit batsman) Same Ian Smith (much older) is the old fat dude commentating at current games :eek
The Aust anchor man is highly respected former Aust Capt. Richie Benaud. He was outraged at the time, as were most cricket ppl world-wide. Greg Chappell remains a villain.

Most disgraceful moment in the history of cricket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 pm 
ADMIN

Five-fer

When a bowler takes 5 wickets in an innings it is a "milestone" Bowlers equivalent of batsman's "century"
"5 for (whatever runs)"

10-fer in an innings might be likened to a double century

Such bowling milestone are not frequently achieved in ODI cricket, with a bowler having no more than 10 overs, but it happens more often in Test Cricket with an individual bowler bowling 40+ overs in an innings.

(In test cricket note is made if a bowler takes 10 wickets for the match, but has two innings to achieve that)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:28 am 
ADMIN

In the sport of cricket the word wicket has several distinct meanings:
1. a set of stumps and bails;
2. the pitch (The playing strip)
3. the dismissal of a batsman.

I have been asked several times about the English phrase "Sticky wicket"

It refers to the pitch.. described as "sticky" if it contains some moisture. Hard to bat on, so hence the phrase

"sticky wicket" meaning Difficult situation.

The state of the pitch depends on a LOT of factors. Different for each venue, generally different Country to Country.
Weather of course effects the pitch. They are covered during rain showers.. but can get effected by rain even so. The SUN drying out the wicket has an effect as day (or 5 days) wears on. Different venues have different soil. Different grass varieties are used. These days some places have "Drop in" pitches... the whole thing grown and prepared on a different part of the ground (or even a different ground) and dropped into prepared trench in the middle of the field. This is increasingly favored, especially on grounds where other sports (such as rugby) are played. That can play havoc with pitch preparation for cricket, as well as giving a hard patch in middle of rugby playing area.

Every effort is made to prepare it to be at its best, but "best" in itself a debatable concept.

For test cricket you require a pitch that will last 5 days. To achieve that it often is perhaps moist on day 1 with some remnants of grass even. Groundsmen are NOT allowed to water or modify the pitch once game has commenced.. even for 5 day games. If a pitch is TOO dry it tends to break up, give uneven bounce, cracks which make batting difficult as well. Put simply, a Test wicket is a little difficult to bat on when game starts, but generally OK later in 1st day and for next day (or2) but for last day it often shows signs of wear. Perhaps foot marks that (spin) bowlers can land the ball in and cause ball to jump around a bit with unpredictable sideways movement.

For an ODI the pitch is (supposed) to be prepared to suit batting. Lots of runs scored is what punters pay to see.. so the wicket is generally dry, flat, even surface offering little assistance to bowlers. Teams toss to get choice of batting first or second. In theory, in most cases that should NOT be a huge advantage in itself. The wicket should be good for whole game. However, there may be some advantages especially if rain has been around, or perhaps overhead weather conditions at start of play. Perhaps some small advantage in bowling first.
As I say the wicket should be OK batting 1st or 2nd. The advantage of the toss should be mainly about team preference... to SET a total for opposition to chase, or to bat second and achieve a known target set. Different teams do have preferences in that area.

Wikepedia's take on wicket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicket

Quote:
The term sticky wicket refers to a situation in which the pitch has become damp, typically due to rain or high humidity. This makes the path of the ball more unpredictable thus making the job of defending the stumps that much more difficult. The full phrase is thought to have originally been "to bat on a sticky wicket." Such pitches were commonplace at all levels of the game (i.e. up to Test Match level) until the late 1950s.