It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 pm 
ADMIN

We have only heard "the woman's side" of the story the cat needs to lawyer up and stay schtum!

There is NO WAY that a cat could "trap" two adults in a bedroom. The woman is clearly nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 pm 
ADMIN

Florida couple calls 911 after 'freaked out' cat goes berserk, traps them in their bedroom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 pm 
ADMIN

Russian Blue Cat in central Florida goes wild, prompts owner to call 911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:48 pm 
ADMIN

Man feeds scores of abandoned cats in war-torn Syria
25 September 2014 at 7:54pm

An ambulance driver has taken it upon himself to feed scores of cats abandoned by their owners in a war-torn part of Syria.

Alaa spends around £2.50 on meat each day to feed a small army of hungry strays - an act of kindness he has kept up for the past two months.

Many of the cats in the district of Masaken Hanano in Aleppo face the risk of starvation after residents fled heavy shelling by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.

MORE PICS at link
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-09- ... orn-syria/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm 
ADMIN

15+ Cat-Thieves That Were Caught Red-Pawed

There's a saying that goes “honest as a cat when the meat's out of reach”- those adorable furballs might purr and beg for a scratch behind the ears, but as soon as you turn your back, they're back to their scheming ways. Here's a list of cats that have been caught red-pawed in the act of stealing a tasty morsel.

In truth, owners should be mindful when their cats try to get their paws on human food. Their digestion works differently from ours, and many foods, even ones they love, like milk, can give them upset stomachs or worse. Chocolate and onions are especially dangerous, and should be kept tucked away far out of reach.

MORE PHOTOS at link
http://www.boredpanda.com/cats-stealing-food/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:10 pm 
ADMIN

Aerosmith’s Joe Perry writes sweet letter to his cat
By Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Posted: 10:41 a.m. Friday, Nov. 7, 2014

Rock guitarist Joe Perry says he was a dog person until a Maine Coon named Icon sauntered into his life.

Perry confesses his cat crush in the new book, “A Letter to My Cat,” a collection of personal letters from celebrities to their beloved cats.

Raving about Icon’s grace and majesty, Perry brags that the cat is in a class of its own.

Apparently Perry is even forgiving of hairballs and those early morning nose taps that Icon delivers just as Perry is going to sleep after a late night performance. Icon demands Perry’s company while eating breakfast.

Perry wraps up his love letter by saying, “You are truly one of a kind and have a special place in the Perry clan’s heart of hearts. I love you and always will.”

Sounds like Icon has found the “purrfect” home.

...more at link
http://www.wftv.com/news/lifestyles/pet ... witter_sfp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:12 pm 
ADMIN

Joe Perry: A Letter To My Cat, Icon
By Joe Perry
November 07, 2014

As part of the recently released definitive cat lover's book A Letter To My Cat, Aerosmith rocker Joe Perry had this to say about his pet Maine Coon, Icon.

Quote:
Dear Icon,

We have had many animals as part of our family over the years, everything from horses to dogs. We love and have loved them all. But there was one animal we never had a chance to make part of our clan that always intrigued us: the Maine Coon cat. In my search for a Maine Coon for my wife Billie’s birthday, chance and fate brought me, and I was able to meet you in person for the first time.

As a kitten you were larger than some cats are when they are full grown! You sauntered over to me and there was an instant connection between us as you curled your body around my leg and rubbed your head on my hand.

Already at this young age you moved with a grace and majesty I had never seen before. Icon, you are in a class of your own.

I love when you express yourself by actually chirping, and I even love when you wake me up at 7 a.m. with your gentle taps on my nose because you like to have me keep you company while you eat your breakfast. (There is always food out for you, you know.) This is after I explain to you I had a gig the night before and have just gotten to sleep! I really don’t mind, though; your touch is always gentle and loving.

I have always been a dog person, but you won me over! Your beautiful coat, your instincts that seem to let you read our minds, the way you MUST sleep so that you’re in constant touch with Billie and me. There’s no denying that you’re there . . . you’re so BIG! In fact, when I brought you home, Billie was disappointed because she wanted a tiny kitten and she thought you were full grown! But much to her astonishment, your actions proved you were a kitten.

You came with the name “Icon” and it’s the name you still have now because you live up to every definition of the word! You are truly one of a kind and have a special place in the Perry clan’s heart of hearts. I love you and always will.

All my best,
Joe

P.S. I don’t even mind the gigantic hairballs squishing between my toes at the most inconvenient times, and that’s saying a lot!

https://www.thedodo.com/community/JoePe ... 46277.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:08 pm 
ADMIN

Denver animal shelter won't let 'Elsa' go, saves frozen kitten
A four-month-old kitten found in near-zero temperatures was unresponsive and suffering from the effects of hypothermia when the Denver Dumb Friends League brought the cat back from the brink.
BY Jason Molinet
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, November 14, 2014, 12:45 AM

Image Image

They refused to let her go.

A frozen kitten found in near-zero temperatures was brought back from the brink by a Denver animal rescue thanks to heating pads and a hair dryer.

An Arctic system that ripped through the Rockies saw the thermometer plunge overnight Wednesday, creating dangerous conditions. The kitten, suffering from the effects of hypothermia, was near death.

The cat was rushed by a family to the Denver-based Dumb Friends League, where volunteers found she had no temperature on the thermometer and was unresponsive. She was given a warm IV solution and laid on a bed of heating pads, ABC Denver reported.

The 4-month-old orange kitten was appropriately named Elsa in honor of the snow queen from the animated film "Frozen."
The Denver Dumb Friends League said it will put the lucky kitten up for adoption once healthy. The Denver Dumb Friends League said it will put the lucky kitten up for adoption once healthy.

After an hour of attention and treatment, Elsa stabilized.

The Dumb Friends League said it will put the lucky kitten up for adoption once healthy.

...more at link
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2010703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm 
ADMIN

Kitten saved after good Samaritans find her nearly frozen; vets name her 'Elsa' for Disney film
Brian Hernandez, Marshall Zelinger 4:28 PM, Nov 13, 2014

A kitten that nearly froze to death when it was found outside in the cold suffering from hypothermia on Thursday was rescued when she was spotted in the snow and taken to the Denver Dumb Friends League.

The 3- or 4-month-old old kitten was brought to the shelter by Allison Baker, whose friend found the kitten covered in snow in a neighborhood just north of LoDo.

"A friend of mine called me this morning and she had a cat that she found outside. It was half covered in snow and (she) said it probably wasn't going to make it," said Baker. "I was convinced the cat was dead when she brought her here."

Video at link
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... ue11132014

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 pm 
ADMIN

Japanese Island is Overrun by Cats !
March 5, 2015

Tourists from all over Japan have been swarming to Aoshima, a small island with a tiny fishing community, all because this once looked over island has been overrun by cats!

The cats were originally bought over to deal with the mice that were plaguing the fishing boats, but have since developed a small community of their own. In all there is over 120 cats, who are occasionally fed by the 22 locals but mainly by the cat loving tourists that come to see them.

You can see why this place has now been nicknamed “Cat Island”.

...more at link

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:06 pm 

Kevin, Orange Tabby Cat Missing Since 2013, Is Home With South Carolina Owners

I :heart stories like this! Returned last night to owner :)

Link to short story and 2min video:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cat-home-south-carolina-owners-after-epic-cross-country-journey-n326411

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:36 pm 

Pinkie, the Rare Pink Dolphin, Spotted in Louisiana Waters Confirmed a Female

ABCNews.com
By Nicole Pelletiere | Sept 9, 2015, 1:34 PM ET

A rare pink dolphin appropriately nicknamed Pinkie has been discovered to be female since a charter boat captain spotted the rosey-colored mammal mating in Louisiana waters two weeks ago.

"I've taken a ton of pictures of her mating and it proved she's a female," Capt. Erik Rue told ABC News today. "I believe I'm first one who saw her and I know I'm the first one to take pictures of her.

"I've learned a lot since I've spend a lot of time following her around."

Rue, a charter boat captain at Calcasieu Charter Service in Lake Charles, Louisiana, said he was shocked seeing Pinkie for the first time in June 2007, along with four others on board his charter.

Since then, he added, Pinkie's been a local celebrity, where people take trips on Rue's charter in hopes to get a glimpse of her.

"I think many are a bit surprise when they actually see it and it's actually bright pink like we've told them," Rue said. "They say 'Oh my gosh it's really pink.' They are surprised that it's just the way we described it to them.

More at link (video): http://abcnews.go.com/US/pinkie-rare-pink-dolphin-spotted-louisiana-waters-confirmed/story?id=33625545

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:07 am 

Not sure where to put this link to Blue Dragon that's pretty in pics but NFW would you catch me holding it dead or alive in my bare hand. Guess the mollusk is fine wine to puss & vinegar cured jelly fish :)
http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/7140 ... pectacular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:36 am 

:28 Aww thanks for adding image. Was fascinated so googled the blue dragon mollusk and saw short vid with someone using their finger to nudge a baby over to two larger blue dragons in a shallow dish that had a few more too, they weren't harmedand no indication that venom was released. Still less scared to scoop a black widow or brown recluse into plastic container than use bare hands to nudge or hold this venomous this creature . :98

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:25 pm 

Wow, he's a little feller :)
I'm captivated by science and nature, LR ... love the article. I am so fascinated by the means to keep predators away (gorgeous markings) and repurposing (ha) the venom.

:69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 pm 

Those gorgeous markings are captivating. Glad these dragons aren't local to us, raising kids in Florida they mastered 'red by black get back jack' before they knew mother goose nursery rhymes. Those colors would have caused ten times the why questions and splaining brown recluse did. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:33 am 

This is also a Darwin Award nominee. :eek

Deputies: Burglary suspect hiding in pond killed by 11-foot alligator
By David Harris | Orlando Sentinel | December 7, 2015

A 22-year-old burglary suspect trying to evade authorities was killed by an 11-foot alligator last month, the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies said Matthew Riggins drowned as a result of the gator attack. He was missing his lower extremities and part of an arm, according to deputies.

Riggins and another man were in Barefoot Bay to commit house burglaries in the late evening hours of Nov. 12 and early morning hours of Nov. 13. A resident called deputies around 2 a.m. to say the two men, dressed in black, were walking behind houses near Tequesta Drive.

Riggins and the other man were spotted on Royal Palm Boulevard, but they fled.
[...]
His body was found in a Barefoot Bay lake just north of Ocean Avenue Way on Nov. 23.

While sheriff dive team members were recovering Riggins' body, they encountered a large gator "aggressively approaching" them.

The gator was trapped by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and euthanized.

"A forensic examination of the alligator located remains consistent with the injuries to Riggins inside the alligator's stomach," deputies said.

The other man who was with Riggins has been identified, but is not cooperating with the investigation. Deputies didn't say if he was charged.

More at link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-alligator-attack-florida-burglary-suspect-20151207-story.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:51 pm 

In addition to chocolate, salt dough is also dangerous for pets. :cat :N10

Family sends warning after dog dies from eating handmade ornament
http://dailym.ai/1Ywczyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:06 am 

Cat Refuses to Leave Store — And It’s an Adorable Act of Defiance

No matter how many times he gets kicked out, Olly the cat keeps coming back to a Sainsbury's market. Customers love him!

By Gayle Hickman January 11, 2016

Six-year-old Olly is — well, how should I put this? — stubborn. The feisty ginger tomcat won’t stay away from his favorite hangout, no matter how many times he gets thrown out.

Olly lives next door to a Sainsbury’s supermarket in Brockley, south London, and has adopted the store as his home away from home. His first visit was 2 months ago, and he has been back every day since.

Customers find him irresistible, with many taking a moment to give him a little rub. But because of health department rules, he should not be loitering inside. Security has removed him from the premises several times, but he refuses to stay away for long.

He seems to enjoy being photographed in various positions within the store — lying by the door, while enjoying the warmth of the heated fans, or perched atop a fridge or grocery shelf.

His grumpy-looking face just seems to make him all the more adorable.

Besides gaining some fame on the Internet, he has become somewhat of a local celebrity — and even received an “Animal of the Week” title from Time Out London.

More pics at http://www.petful.com/buzz/sainsburys-cat/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:24 am 

Aw, I'm glad Olly is persistant! Good to see you Mal :69

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next