It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:48 am 

There's Minor in all her being fair glory.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 am 

Thanks Minor for accepting my invitation to join in the conversation and for for your legal knowledge.

Just a couple of facts about WI law;

We have the lowest age of reason 10 (seems impossibly low to me but that it what it is).

So a far it has been deemed that because a 12 year old is at the age of reason they can waive their right to counsel.

A crime of murder or attempted murder in WI committed by a child 10 or older is automatically considered an adult crime.

We have GBMI rather than NGBMI.

If the case is moved to juvenile court, the girls are free at age 25 unless deemed a danger to themselves or others due to mental defect, then they would have to appeal for their freedom every 3 months (I think that is the correct number).

IMO it was believed that the victim was going to die given the number of wounds (19) and the elapsed time (some blood on her shirt was dried) which is my best guess why the interrogations began immediately, I don’t know if the confessions will be tossed out as I don’t know that there is a legal basis to do so given WI law.

I do believe that the attorneys for the girls will use the waiving of their rights and the interrogations without parental consent and not having legal consul present as a bargaining chip to get the case moved to Juvenile court.

And specific to Waukesha,

It is an extremely conservative town.

That said our DA Brad Schimel is not known for his hard convictions or indictments and he is running for Attorney General so it is rumored that he will go with what ever is expedient for his political career,.

From the buzz around town these girls were no more Emo or Goth than some others their age. The little I have heard of their words their vocabulary and grammar is of at least average intelligence.

Now if childhood schizoid affected disorder, schizophrenia or a shared psychosis is diagnosed then everything changes. Whether they (one or both) believed Slendernam was real is yet to be determined.

What I know of the parents of Geyser, it appears from early reports that they were into the counter culture “dark” death online stuff, horror as entertainment, and that it was cultivated in their home. I know nothing of Weiers family. Weier introduced Geyser to Slenderman/Creepy Pasta, (Slendermans host site).

Things that point to psychosis Geyser claims that Slendrman is real, that he watched her, that he would kill her family if she did not kill someone, she also claimed that she had Slenderman radiation sickness. It is interesting that according to reports it is originally Weier that came up with the idea of killing their classmate.

I don’t think Geyser’s parents knew in any way that she was turning the atmosphere of the grotesque, horror and dark entertainment, into a plan of action.

They will be back in court this week, for some reason Wednesday is sticking in my mind but I have lots of days running about in my mind so I could be wrong.

The police report states that Weier said it was Geysers plan to kill their classmate to become proxies of Slenderman.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:15 am 

The abridged version :)

I am not convinced that Geyser or Weier are not putting on acts when she says Slenderman was real. Their language demonstrates some sophistication. Plotting and using code words demonstrates sophistication in the thought process not disordered thinking.

Right now personally I want it to remain in adult court I do not want either of theses girls in the system for 13 years and then out to continue any type of evil. IF we had a truly rehabilitative system I might feel otherwise. As it is our system does nothing to make functioning well intentioned citizens out of people who choose to plunge a knife into someone 19 times.

If mental defect is found I'll have another opinion.

Last edited by Carmelita on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:22 am 

Hope4More wrote:
There's Minor in all her being fair glory.. :)

LMAO. Can't you see I'm just hedging til I find out more about what's really going on :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am 

Carm - thanks for the info. From the little I read, I can see that WI has a very tough-on-crime system of processing juveniles and generally a very conservative criminal justice system over all.

There are gaps that leave no real effective outcome for a case like this since they can only be detained or kept within the juvenile justice system til they're 25 (no exceptions, from what I understand) and adult sentencing guidelines if tried as adults.

That makes me so uncomfortable because there's no certainty these girls will be ready to reintegrate by age 25, but if you sentence them to 60 years then there's no possibility of rehabilitating them at all when there's a chance that these 12 year olds could be reformed into law abiding citizens.

In Texas we have an option for indiscriminate sentencing of juveniles for serious violent crimes - meaning they can be detained and treated, educated, etc in the juvenile justice system til they're 19, and a decision about further detention in adult prison doesn't have to be made until age 19. They can be sentenced to a maximum of 40 years but they can also be provided services and released on parole at any appropriate time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:39 am 

I'm wondering if there's a shared delusional disorder. Way too little information to draw any conclusions yet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:52 am 

Yes our system leaves a lot to be desired.

A shared psychosis has been suggested. There is no way that they will not receive a mental health evaluation so that is good. I find them very articulate, and according to Geyser Weier was going to do the stabbing as she knew "all the soft or vulnerable spots" that speaks of a truly mentally aware thought process in my mind. I see nothing disordered in the planning, other than the obvious evilness of it and that it was planned by 12 year olds with their limited capabilities and accesses. The Slenderman beliefs will obviously have to be thoroughly evaluated. I'm sure their computers (school issued iPads) will be scrutinized as will their home computers for search history.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:11 am 

Anyhow I hope the information's of some help.

I am off and running.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm 

A bit of an update for anyone who is following

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10592210&postcount=68

Doctor to evaluate 12-year-old stabbing suspect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:43 pm 

So they're not both being evaluated at the same time? The other one will be evaluated "later." Ummm...somebody's taking a deal I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 pm 

Weier (the one not being evaluated) has claimed all along that Geyser did the stabbing. I don't know if it has been released nationally yet or not but in the phone call from the man who found the victim, the victim when asked "who did this to you" responded "My best friend Morgan Geyser."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:52 pm 

I think the call was released and that you're right -- she said it was Morgan. So the other girl fesses up (formally -- I know she already gave a potentially invalid confession) gets a slap and Morgan gets committed? Seems that's the way they're proceeding given this development?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:18 am 

I think the confessions are sound. WI age of reason is 10 so the girls had the legal right to waive their rights. Did they understand what they were doing? According to WI law, yes. Now if Geyser is going to go for incapacity then her confession may be deemed inadmissible.

Is Weier trying to cut a deal. Could be.

WI is a GBMI state I don't know what ramifications that would have on Geyser (because of her age) if she is deemed 1) mentally incompetent to understand the proceedings or 2) deemed competent to understand what is happening but mentally ill or 3) mentally ill to the point of psychosis.

Geyeser said something very sophisticated she said "I thought that I would have liked to have given Bella an extra day" that speaks to a very ordered thought process and to an intellectual and emotional awareness as to the gravity of the crime that she was planning to carry out.

Our DA is an establishment waffler, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out here. Believe me Schimel is not pleased to have the eyes of the nation on him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:24 am 

Some thoughts from a DA who prosecuted 13 year old children in WI as adults. They rcieved life terms.

Should 12-year-old girls be charged as adults? Prosecutor familiar with young suspects weighs in

http://fox6now.com/2014/06/04/should-12 ... weighs-in/

We look at what they did and I think that`s how most prosecutors look at it.   What did you do?  Not what you look like.  What did you do?” DeCecco said.
FOX6 News spoke with the Waukesha County District Attorney on Wednesday, June 4th about the Miranda rights issue.

He says the officers who conducted the interviews have experience interviewing young suspects.

He says he believes the girls’ statements will hold up in court if challenged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 pm 

Wisconsin girls accused in 2014 ‘Slender Man’ attack to be tried as adults, appeals court rules
My FOX59.com | Updated at 08:07am, August 1, 2016

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character “Slender Man” should be tried as adults.

Last week’s ruling from the 2nd District Appeals court affirmed a lower court’s decision last year that Morgan E. Geyser and Anissa E. Weier should be tried as adults. The girls could appeal the decision to the state’s Supreme Court, according to the Waukesha Patch.

The girls were 12 years old in 2014 when they lured their classmate into woods in Waukesha after a birthday sleepover and repeatedly stabbed her, according to court documents. The victim, who was also 12, was found along a road, bleeding from wounds that nearly killed her. Investigators said she was stabbed 19 times. The victim crawled to the side of a road where a passing bicyclist found her the next morning. She made a quick recovery and returned to school a few months later.

Police said the girls spent months plotting the attempted killing. If they are tried as adults, they face up to 65 years in prison.

http://fox59.com/2016/08/01/wisconsin-g ... urt-rules/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:00 pm 

Second of two 14-year-old girls charged with trying to stab a 12-year-old classmate to death to please mythical 'Slender Man' pleads insanity

• Anissa Weier pleaded not-guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder
• She and Morgan Geyser, both 14, are charged with luring their 12-year-old classmate to a park in 2014 and trying to sacrifice her to 'Slender Man'
• Payton Leutner was stabbed multiple times but managed to escape
• Both are being tried as adults in the case and face up to 40 years in jail
• Geyser also entered an insanity plea to the charges in court last month
• Judge Michael Bohren appointed two doctors to examine both girls
• If found mentally deficient, they'll be confined to a mental hospital

By Hannah Parry | Daily Mail | September 9, 2016

Two teenage girls charged with trying to sacrifice a 12-year-old classmate to please the mythical 'Slender Man' have pleaded insanity.

Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, both 14, are charged with attempted murder after they lured their friend Payton Leutner to an isolated park in Milwaukee in 2014 where they stabbed her multiple times.

Today, Weier pleaded not-guilty by reason of insanity to the charges during a 15-minute proceeding in Waukesha County Circuit Court.

Judge Michael Bohren appointed two doctors to examine her, and report back on her mental status by October 6.

Her insanity plea follows that of co-defendant Geyser's last month.

Experts have testified already that Geyser suffers from schizophrenia and oppositional defiant disorder and maintains relationships with imaginary characters.

Bohren said he will look to schedule a trial in March or as soon as prosecutors and Cotton are ready for both girls.

The teens are being tried as adults in the case and face up 40 years in prison and 20 years on extended supervision if convicted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... anity.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:08 pm 

Many hearings going on with this case - dismissal of confessions, seeking separate trials. I'll update when a trial is set (March, 2017).

This is an article about the HBO documentary. It also has current photos of the girls. Posting fyi, not gonna watch it. There are full videos on it at YouTube. ;)

11/11/2016
Beware the Slender Man': Haunting trailer for new documentary is released about how internet creation motivated two girls to 'stab their best friend 19 times' - as they both appear in court ahead of trial next year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ntary.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm 

Hi Molly, I think both gils are mental deficient and morally defunct I'm not convinced either is or was psychotic at the time of the attempted murder.

They planned to kill Peyton for months, they knew the wrongness of their deed because they used codewords on the school bus so that others would not know what they were talking about. It can be argued that they personally didn't think it was wrong but they knew others that did not understand about Slenderman would think it was wrong and that is why they talked in code, that is a rough row to hoe.

Geyser has already been diagnosed with early onsets schizophrenia. Weir I think has a weak case for mental incapacity.

We are a very conservative community. Our DA seems to have the stomach to see this through.

The confessions are not going to be thrown out. Both girls have tried to be released and go live with various family members, all requests have been denied. Both rolled the dice here, if they claim that they are mentally well and competent enough to live outside of jail they can hardly claim that they are too mentally unwell to participate in their own defense. The age of competence before the court is 10 in WI.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm 

Separate trials ordered in Slender Man case
By Bruce Vielmetti | Journal Sentinel | December 12, 2016

Waukesha — The judge in the Slender Man stabbing case on Monday ordered that the two girls charged with trying to kill their friend in 2014 will have separate trials, after learning both defense teams and prosecutors agreed that a joint trial could pose legal risks.

In their long statements to investigators, Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier have each implicated the other as more culpable for certain aspects of the incident or made statements inconsistent with the other girl, such that it would be difficult to handle evidence prejudicial to one of the defendants if both were on trial together.

Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren announced his ruling at the end of a hearing on another pretrial issue that remains in dispute — whether statements Geyser and Weier made to police upon and after their arrests should be allowed as evidence.
[...]
The judge is also considering requests from both defendants that juries for their trials be chosen from outside Waukesha County. No trial dates have been set but are not likely until summer at the earliest.

More at link: http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crim ... /95338628/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 am 

In their long statements to investigators, Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier have each implicated the other as more culpable for certain aspects of the incident or made statements inconsistent with the other girl, such that it would be difficult to handle evidence prejudicial to one of the defendants if both were on trial together.

Yes both of the girls are trying to say "She made me do it." Yet both are trying to say that they are too crazy to be culpable. Funny that. They are cognitive enough to know that they should blame the other girl and can remember the events and their chats, the plotting, the secret code words all leading up to the sleepover and the plunging of a knife into their best friend's little body 19 times but neither thinks they should be held accountable for those actions.

:TF