It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:40 am 

Charges detail Waukesha pre-teens' attempt to kill classmate
By Ellen Gabler of the Journal Sentinel
June 2, 2014

Suspects Morgan E. Geyser (left) and Anissa E. Weier in a Waukesha County courtroom.

The 12-year-old girls had been plotting the murder for months, police say.

Morgan E. Geyser was allowed to have two friends over each year for her birthday. This year, she'd celebrate on May 30. That is the day she and Anissa E. Weier would try to kill their friend during a sleepover.

On Monday, the two Waukesha girls were charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide, each facing up to 65 years in prison. Their victim, another 12-year-old from Waukesha, was stabbed 19 times by either Geyser or Weier or both, according to a criminal complaint. All three attend Horning Middle School in Waukesha.

Geyser and Weier are being held on $500,000 bail each. The pre-teens attempted murder, they told police, to pay homage to a fictional character who they believed was real after reading about him on a website devoted to horror stories.
[...]
Both suspects explained the stabbing to police referencing their dedication to Slender Man, the character they discovered on a website called Creepypasta Wiki, which is devoted to horror stories.

...more at link
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/wauk ... 34171.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:44 pm 
ADMIN

Quote:
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel normally does not name juveniles involved in crimes, but is naming the suspects because they are in adult court and because of the severity of the charges. A criminal complaint filed Monday detailed the allegations.
[...]
Schimel, a Republican running for state attorney general, said he had to bring the case in adult court because of the level of charges against the girls. He said he expected the girls' attorneys to attempt to "reverse waive" them into juvenile court, which he said he would resist.

If moved into juvenile court and convicted, the girls could be held at most until they were 25 years old, Schimel said.

"It's a very shocking incident. There's no two ways about it," Schimel said.

My immediate thought was "Heavenly Creatures"... a movie by NZer Peter Jackson... based on a TRUE case in NZ... two giggly girls murdered one girl's mother.

Quote:
Heavenly Creatures is a 1994 New Zealand drama film directed by Peter Jackson, from a screenplay he co-wrote with his partner, Fran Walsh, about the notorious 1954 Parker–Hulme murder case in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Heavenly Creatures - Wikepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavenly_Creatures

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:30 pm 

Thanks for "fixing" it for me Rumpole. I'm not familiar with Heavenly Creatures, dark, dark children these two.Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel is a bit of a pussyfoot so we will see if he stands on his word of trying them as adults.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 pm 

I have a son turning 12 in a few months. I cannot fathom a child his age planning a murder. I don't use the word evil lightly or often, but one or both of these girls is that. They are old enough to understand what they were thinking and doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 pm 

Amazing, isn't it Hope? The girls were found walking near an expressway on their way to the fictional Slender Mans, mansion. It was long planned since October.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 pm 

Sensationalized but a lot of information.

Revealed: Father of girl, 12, who stabbed 'school friend 19 times to prove Slender Man myth was real’ proudly shared her sketch of horror creature on his ‘DEADBOY’ Instagram

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z33dDc7yFE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:12 am 

My first thought too was the Parker-Hulme case which the movie Heavenly Creatures was based on. That murder was in the 50s and they planned it ahead of time too. Interesting that one of the girls became a detective novelist after being released from prison.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:09 am 

Read your link, Carma. That article reverses which girl was the instigator. Geyser was the follower in other accounts. Clearly something is seriously wrong with both girls...

IMO the parents' Goth and Instagram etc. stuff is largely irrelevant. I used to play Skyrim on Xbox....my son watched sometimes as I killed beasts and bad guys with bow and arrow or sword.

If the world was trying to make sense of my son being killer I suspect I'd be blamed for setting an example about the fun of killing or some such. A very wrong impression. I'm actually a pacifist, and won't even allow my child to play with toy guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm 

I agree Hope, a friend asked me who do I blame the parents or "Slenderman" I said I blame the girls. And yes they have both given different accounts of who did the actual stabbing, one actually has both of their hands on the knife together at one point, (and as far as I know it has morphed again). No one saw anything particularly odd with these girls.

The DA is pushing to keep it in adult court (he is not known for his particularly hard stances but it looks like community pressure is strong enough that they will be tried as adults unless one or both are deemed incompetent to stand trial). Geyser's attorneys are petitioning for a juvenile case. So far no word on a mental health defense and I am guessing that will depend on what is found on the computers history though it is likely they will both be given a competency to stand trial evaluation. People who have visual and auditory delusions like Geyser is describing (especially at 12) tend not to be able to behave normally for extended periods of time. This attack has been in the works for 6 months.

I'll go with two very dark children.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:16 pm 

Thanks Packy I had never heard of the Parker- Hulme case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:43 pm 

Interesting article on NGBMI and GBMI and competency to stand trial.

INSANITY DEFENSE FAQ's

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /faqs.html

Wisconsin is a GBMI state.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 pm 

Two very dark children indeed. Did you ever see the movie Bad Seed?

On nature or nurture I say both, but it takes a lot of abuse or the like to twist an otherwise normal child.

One of the most striking things one of the girls said was something like..."its funny how I don't really feel remorse. ". Eek!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 pm 

Never saw Bad Seed.

It was Geyser who said that she feels no remorse. The whole scenario that the two girls have put forth is curious, they started to try to kill her in the bathroom (because there was a drain for her blood to collect) yet the victim still went into the woods to play hide and seek with them? The victim is going to have a third version of events is my guess.She was alert enough and rational enough to tell to the bicyclist that found her that she was capable of taking shallow breaths, I have a feeling she is going to be a very good witness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't think it's as uncommon as most may think for children to kill. When JQ declared that all children are automatically the victims in a crime, I did an online search of "homicides committed by children (or juveniles) " and "mass killings by children" and was shocked.

Although when I think about how vicious children were to each other in middle school and high school, I can imagine some of them turning into killers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 pm 

I'm sure you are right Maltese probably not a number I even want to know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 pm 

Both girls held on $500,000.00 bond. Attorneys for both are trying to get it moved to Juvenile court.

http://wsau.com/news/articles/2014/jun/ ... bing-case/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm 

Well this is probably going to get more interesting. WI has the youngest age for trying children as adults. 10.

The girls were read their rights but waived them, both seem fairly well spoken, but can they really understand what “waiving their right to counsel” means? So they were interrogated without an attorney and without parental consent.

Wisconsin youths charged as adults in attempted murder case

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/06 ... a-j01.html

An interesting aside it appears that at least Geyser did not live in the school district where she attended school.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:18 pm 

Amazing the little vicim has already gone home.

I live in Waukesha county and have been paying attention and talking to people about the whole legal challenge of trying Geyser and Weier in adult court.

The girls were mirandized but waived their rights. Anyhow they were interrogated without attorneys and without parental consent so that is the trump card for trying to get the case moved back to Juvenile Court.

Our DA who is not necessarily known for his hard stance in the courtroom is IMO waffling at trying the girls as adults. That said he is under extreme pressure to do so and Waukesha is the most conservative county in Wisconsin.

Brad Schimel (our DA in Waukesha) is running for Attorney General of the state, to have a prayer he will have to try the girls as adults.

Waukesha County DA explains why girls being charged as adults

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/waukesha-count ... s/26317076#!VUO8h

I've talked with one girl who knows a girl who went to school with the girls and the two perpetrators were in her opinion simply typical "emo or goth" kids. No hint of a break with reality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:26 am 

Im interested to hear more about the girls and their families.

I dont think they should be tried as adults at 12 years old, and I hope the case gets transferred back to juvenile court where they are more capable of dealing with the unique issues of juveniles committing horrific crimes. A 12 year old should be given an opportunity for rehabilitation and intensive treatment before they are locked away for 65 years.

It might be that they are just evil and defective, but I dont think theres any way to make that conclusion about a 12 year old.

There are questions in my mind about severe mental illness and psychosis - a 12 year old does not believe in a real SlenderMan who lives in a mansion and requires human sacrifice unless there is a severe mental or cognitive disturbance or immersive indoctrination from parents and community (like a cult).

Just my initial thoughts based on very sparse information. The crime is shocking and outrageous, and it may be that these girls will need to be separated from society for the rest of their lives, but the brutality of the crime should not be the end of the inquiry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:43 am 

Oh, also, the fact that they were allowed to waive their rights without first consulting with an attorney is unconscionable and could lead to the case being blown if their confessions are suppressed as I believe they should be. Most states have caselaw and statutes that prohibit a minor from waiving constitutional rights without consultation with an attorney and the consent of their parents. Children are typically considered incapable of waiving constitutional rights on their own.

That was a really bad mistake on the part of the police or prosecutors who questioned them.

Reminds me of 8 year old Christian Romero who murdered his father and another man, confessed to police officers who obtained the confession without allowing him to consult with an attorney or have family members present. The confession was thrown out by the judge, and it forced the prosecutors to accept lesser plea of negligent homicide with a probated sentence. After 4 years of having lived in the community - he was still violent and too dangerous to live in the community.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... s0220.html