It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: RT Members Pets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:41 am 
Global Moderator

A little :OT

But I IZ not Global Mod for nuttin' :cool

Stray Cat Strut by The Stray Cats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:37 am 

Ginger, I enjoyed that video. Cats are fascinating, regal, soft, and cuddly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 pm 

Ginger I enjoyed it too. AND so did Lilly. Ran over here and STAYED FOCUSED until it was over.
Such beautiful eyes they have ... really.
What a fascinating trip this is, being owned by Lilly. I am grateful to my
neighbor who found her, out there - for almost a month we were guessing. Was quite a sad little thing ... fleas, dehydrated, starving, 3 pounds underweight, limping, dirty.
How long would it take being "out there" to lose 3 pounds of their body weight? AND one neighbor was feeding her tuna for the last few days. Anybody know? I took her to the Vet the next day!!
Now she is going to the Holistic Vet... I do love them. Our babies are the best and deserve nothing BUT the BEST!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:47 pm 

I have become SUCH a cat person because of my Lilly. Always loved/love dogs all through my life though...
Looks like I am in good company ... both here and from reading these quotes from Mark Twain:

"I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."
When his daughter was ill, he got her a cat she named Bambino. When Bambino went missing, Twain's ad in the New York American contained this affectionate description: "Large and intensely black; thick, velvety fur; has a faint fringe of white hair across his chest; not easy to find in ordinary light."
Happy ending with Twain's kitty finding its way home!
Twain held cats in such high regard he once noted, "If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
But of all people he viewed cat lovers in a fonder light, writing, "When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."
Above from the winter issue of "Healthy Pet".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:51 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Joni.

I have seen your "awakening" as a cat person over the past 2 years?

I think you always were a latent cat person... great to see you "coming out of the closet" :lol

Give Lilly a pet and a kiss from me :cat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:16 pm 

Ha ha ha ha ha... so I'm exposed!!!! :86

My latest with Lilly. She doesn't LIKE to be held. I sometimes do hold her when in my office chair...
When I move slightly back and forth, she kind of gets hypnotized from the movement I think. So funny.

She really has become my shadow, and NOT just in the kitchen, ANY room. Some day I will write down a comparison between her and my dogs that I have had. :66 More similarities, than differences??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:38 pm 
ADMIN

I have not said anything, because I did not want to bring this thread down with sad news.... but now that things have worked out Ok I will outline recent problems with Ivor (Peg Leg.. my 3-legged cat)

It's been a period of worry with him vanishing for days and being off his food when he does show up.Once he turned up and stayed long enough to be evaluated, he clearly had some problems in his mouth and we took him to emergency after hours VET. Who was useless. Said Ivor had toothache.. which we had guessed, charged $150 and sent us home with two applications of Gel to rub in his mouth to ease pain. That did nothing and Ivor was more and more distressed and in extreme pain. He is a free range cat, but we kept him locked in, which added to his distress, so we had him here in the morning to take to proper vet. Where he stayed all day... had inspection/operation under anesthetic. He had broken canine tooth.. and massive infection in lower jaw. The remnants of the tooth had to be dug out. ( another $550)
We had faith that that would ease his distress eventually, but when we got him home he was groggy from the anesthetic, still in extreme pain, and distressed about being locked in the house. He bacame more and more agitated, clawing at his own mouth blindly in reaction to the pain, rearing up, running about in a frenzy. Likely to claw anybody who tried to touch him. It was disturbing for us too to see him so distressed. To calm him I risked being ripped to shreds, and held him... llying down with him in the crook of my arm, his head on my shoulder gazing into my eyes an inch away. I could see the pain and terror in his eyes... but he was at least not clawing at himself.... after an hour or so he eventually slept... more an unconscious state, from the residual effect of anesthetic, and his sheer mental exhaustion I think. He was a little more relaxed after that. For a day or so I lay with him on our bed off and on, gently petting him and he did relax and sleep. He seemed to be past the severe pain...still not eating and not happy about being locked inside......
Yesterday morning was the big day... since he had started eating, to let him out... and all went well. He does like to spend most of his time roaming his territory... but he pops back inside when it suits him. All now seems well with Ivor.

Still has to have antibiotic tablet each day... he just came in when I called him for that... but I doubt he will fall for that trick tomorrow :)

Ivor on the mend - just annoyed that I wont let him out

I mention the cost only for your info... $700 Total :eek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:50 pm 

Baby Ivor has a lot of heart ... like some boxers. I HOPE he stays ok - - outside.
Does he know THAT'S where he gets into trouble I wonder?

I think he has as much heart too, as some of those Olympians, also HUGE RISK TAKERS! May he stay STRONG and survive, like them. :heart

If you have time check out on youtube... Frank Sinatra's "Here's To The Winners". Have to go food shopping.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:30 pm 

Poor Ivor... and you, having to go through all that! :give Glad to hear he is doing better and happily outside again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

Ivor is in my thoughts too. Poor little guy with so much heart ... and 3 legs. :cat
I worry about him ... always.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:58 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Joni....

Don't worry... that's my job :cool

Ivor is a cat... a Tom Cat.... as free as a domesticated cat can be... he has a great life. He has never complained about having only 3 legs. He does all the stuff cats do... runs (hops) about... hunts....fights with cats who come on his turf...climbs trees and manages to get on roof of neighbors house (though I think he finally has realized that "climbing down" has extra challenges with just 3 legs) ;)
And... being a free roaming cat is just his "Day Job" Whenever he is in the mood he can, and does, lie about the house being a softie getting petted....cuddles and tummy rubs etc (which he loves)

Today he seems totally recovered. He still has to have antibiotic tablet each of next 3 days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 pm 

How difficult is it to make him take it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm 

Praying for Ivor. He is so lucky to have such a loving family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm 

:28 Hi Mal! I was wondering about that too ... a pill? Difficult?
My Vet has me rubbing some stuff on Lilly's gums now. A prelude to brushing?
She doesn't like it ... but lets me do it. I guess they do allow things, when they trust and love you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 pm 
ADMIN

Over the years I have tried ALL the tricks for getting cats to take tablets... mixing with food etc... NONE WORK!!!

And various notions about wrapping cat in towel to restrain it, or two people working on it even... end in tears... blooded arms, and a wet tablet that the cat spits out anyway. :6

You just need a good technique to hold them and put tablet down their throat... by yourself. You need to exude confidence, authority, and have the technique "off pat" so that the whole thing takes seconds. Do not telegraph what you are about to do... else the cat will be gone before you get withing 3 feet of it.

I basically kneel from behind the cat... so that it is restrained between my legs. Tilt its head back grasping its head from behind with my left hand (have pill ready in my right hand)... as I tilt head back..fingers and thumb on either side of mouth to force mouth open... drop pill right at back of throat... hold mouth shut... sometimes stroke throat with head still tilted back. Only release the beast when you are sure pill is swallowed. It seems complicated to write as description... but it all takes just the blink of an eye. That is a big part of why it works. The cats has no time to "think" and so does not rip you to shreds with its front claws. If you dither about the cat will claw you to shreds :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:36 pm 
ADMIN

Pleased to announce that I just gave Ivor his anti-biotic tab. It's the last one. No trouble :cool

He's a "good boy" :cat

He seems back to his old self... bright-eyed and bushy-tailed... literally... he does have a very bushy tail.. it's a feature.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 pm 

10 Signs Your Kitty Actually Loves You
by Abigail Geer
July 25, 2013

1. Head butting. If a person were to do it to you, then you’d have a pretty good idea of what they were trying to tell you, but with a cat it’s a whole different story. To be on the receiving end of what is actually known in the cat world as ‘head bunting‘ is a very special privilege indeed. During this exchange your cat deposits facial pheromones that represent their feelings of trust and safety they have with you.

2. Powerful purrs. Cats purr for all sorts of reasons, but there is one unique full bodied rumble that your kitty saves exclusively for their true love. Purring also lowers your kitty’s heart rate and helps them to relax and exhibit feelings of contentment.

3. Love bites. If your cat is a chronic nibbler, then chances are they’ve got a thing for you. It’s pretty easy to tell the difference between a love bite and a regular cat bite, one hurts and the other tickles! Nibbling isn’t a common sign of love, but when a cat employs it, they’re trying to say “you’re awesome.”

4. Tail twitching. You can tell a lot by looking at a cat’s tail. Just as their tails puff out when they get scared or agitated, their tail will twitch at the very tip when they are feeling bliss. If you notice this action when your cat approaches you, then you can be sure that they think you rock their world.

5. Tummy up. When your cat throws itself on the floor and starts rolling around, they are trying to get your attention. Cats only show their tummies voluntarily to those they can trust. Feeling safe means a lot to a cat, so when they sprawl out in front of you, this is a sign that they feel loved and protected.

6. Licking your hair or ears. It’s not often that humans are deemed worthy of these very special grooming sessions, but if your cat has chosen to bestow you with hair or ear licking, rest assured you have been welcomed into the inner circle. Grooming is one of the most obvious signs of the friendship and trust you have with your furry companion.

7. Kneading. Kittens knead against their mothers to stimulate milk production, which is why experts believe that kneading behavior in cats is nostalgic of kittenhood and acts as a way of reliving the happy moments they experienced as little ones. So next time your kitty starts moving its paws up and down on you, remember that they are not just trying to soften you up before taking a nap, but that they’re expressing their adoration for you.

8. Slow blinking. It is said that cats kiss with their eyes, so don’t expect to share this sign of affection with any old cat. Cats save eye contact for people they know and trust. If that eye contact is coupled with slow blinking then you’ve just received a kitty kiss. Return the love by mimicking the behavior.

9. Nap time. Kitties crave warm safe places to sleep, so if your fluffy feline decides to snuggle down beside you or better yet, on your lap, then you should feel especially honored. Cats are most vulnerable when they are sleeping, and there is no greater compliment than when they choose you as their snooze spot.

10. Gifting. There is no denying that a small dead something is not at the top of our wishlist, but a kitty that presents you with this bounty deserves to be praised. Despite our domestication, cats still have the inner hunter and sharing their prizes with you is a sign of true friendship.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/10-signs-your-kitty-actually-loves-you.html#ixzz2u0E5wZPn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:45 am 

Ahhh, yes, I was once the recipient of the "gift." I opened the back door when I heard my cat meowing to come in and found her standing there with a rabbit head in her mouth. Before I had a chance to slam the door shut, she pranced right on in and laid the "gift" at my feet! Such devotion to give me such a treasure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:03 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:09 am 
ADMIN

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next