It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm 

I had a dream that she woke up too. Then right after that she was walking along, dragging her back leg saying "brains, brains" So I clubbed her in the head with a Cricket bat. I think it was a dream anyway, I might have been watching Shawn of the Dead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm 

Whoa, something just came to me. I was wondering why they were keeping her current location secret. I figured it out, they are afraid Simon Pegg or Bruce Campbell might find her!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm 

mung wrote:
I had a dream that she woke up too. Then right after that she was walking along, dragging her back leg saying "brains, brains" So I clubbed her in the head with a Cricket bat. I think it was a dream anyway, I might have been watching Shawn of the Dead.

:slap LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:24 pm 

BertaBlue wrote:
This article is disturbing, another "false narrative". Don't expect this to be over any time soon, poor Jahi

Omission of the life support contraption ... the brain dead pregnant women were on life support.

Ignance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 pm 
ADMIN

If we are talking "dreams" and "What ifs....."

If there is some sort of miracle and they can stop the decay of the corpse, there is still the small matter of the brain... it's dead.... it's GONE!!
The the ONLY way to reanimate a corpse with no brain is to insert one... a transplant. Brain transplant technology is in it's infancy in the legit real medical world... so I guess they need look to precedents in.... The Twilight Zone!! :eek

The only place this "medical procedure" is documented is in works of fiction... most famously in Mary Shelley's novel "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus" Good book... good book! The story repeated many times in "Frankenstein" movies. So there you have it..... all they need is a brain.... we don't have the technology to create a NEW brain.. so they will need to "harvest" a "used brain".... :eek

I happen to know a web site where many posters have functioning brains that are hardly used at all.... InSession2 (formerly Justice Quest) :slap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 pm 
ADMIN

The Science Behind Brain Death
By BENEDICT CAREY and DENISE GRADYJAN. 9, 2014

In one way, the cases are polar opposites: the parents of Jahi McMath in Oakland, Calif., have fought to keep their daughter connected to a ventilator, while the parents and husband of Marlise in Fort Worth, Tex., want desperately to turn the machine off. In another way, the cases are identical: both families have been shocked to learn that a loved one was declared brain-dead — and that hospital officials defied the family’s wishes for treatment.
[...]
A person who has received a brain-death diagnosis cannot breathe on his or her own and is legally dead, in all 50 states. In two states, New York and New Jersey, that hospitals must take into account the family’s religious or moral views in deciding how to proceed in such cases. In all others, including California and Texas, hospitals are not required to consult the family in how to terminate care.

Doctors at Children’s Hospital in Oakland pronounced Jahi, 13, brain-dead on Dec. 9. She developed complications after surgery for sleep apnea and lost a large amount of blood. Ms. Muñoz , 33, got the diagnosis at John Peter Smith Hospital after she collapsed from a blood clot when she was 14 weeks pregnant. The hospital, citing a state law, refuses to remove the ventilator because it would harm the fetus, now in its 20th week.

The two cases are poignant in part because of a biological quirk of the body: The patients’ hearts continue to beat. Hearts have their own biological pacemaker and can continue to function for days and even months after brain death, experts say, depending on the health of the patient and how much treatment is provided. The heart usually stops within a day or two, with ventilation and no other medical intervention.

...more at link
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/healt ... .html?_r=1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
ADMIN

Medical Board of California Should Investigate Mcmath Clinicians

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Jahi Mcmath died on December 12, 2013. Yet, in just the past few days, clinicians inserted a feeding tube and tracheotomy tube at the "undisclosed facility" to which Mcmath was transferred from Oakland Children's Hospital.

The Medical Board of California should investigate the clinicians that inserted these tubes. Performing such procedures under these circumstances is way outside the prevailing standard of care.

...more at link
http://medicalfutility.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... l?spref=tw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 pm 

This poor child will be under ground and gone soon enough. The family is doing what they think best. They are on the side trying to help her. What's the hurry? Actually, I think the Hospital and Docs acted to fast. Burying her is not going to bury their liability. When did the Docs come in on the complication anyway? Be with G-d and the Angles when it is time to leave, child.
As a side note, what is wrong with giving a fetus a chance for life?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm 
ADMIN

Jahi died just after surgery... death certificate within a few days on the 12th December. It was some time after that (19th? don't quote me) that the hospital wanted to turn off the ventilator.

It's not a matter of "being in a hurry"... she is DEAD. Unfortunately it happens often. The family have the situation explained and the ventilator is respectfully turned off. (been there done that). The ventilator is not "keeping her alive"... it is no more than a machine to pump oxygen.. in this case into a corpse. Many dead people could be animated in this way... for long periods.

If you want to talk BLAME for the death... that is a whole 'nother story. I don't want to speculate too much before the facts are known... but there are already reports posted in this thread that the family did not follow instructions post-op. The hospital have not commented as far as I have seen? No mention of anything "going wrong" during the operation, though. No "malpractice" suggested (yet).... all that stuff will no doubt be argued in court. First step is an autopsy.. and my guess is that the sooner that is done.. the more it can reveal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm 
ADMIN

Jahi McMath: Medical experts say organ failure inevitable
By David DeBolt
Posted: 01/09/2014 04:05:52 PM PST
Updated: 01/09/2014 04:20:26 PM PST

OAKLAND -- One month after Jahi McMath entered Children's Hospital Oakland for surgery to treat sleep apnea -- and just days after she was taken out of the facility after a fierce legal battle -- her family says the teenager's health is improving as she receives nutrition, but medical experts say it is only a matter of time before her deteriorating organs give out.

"This is basically organ support; it's not life support," said Dr. Neal E. Slatkin, a neurologist and chief medical officer at San Jose's Hospice Of The Valley. "Her organs are alive, but she's not alive. Her organs are slowly dying. Her fate is written; it's just a question of when everything fails."

Thursday marked one month since Jahi entered the Oakland facility on Dec. 9 for surgery to remove her tonsils and clear tissue from her nose and throat. Complications after surgery -- massive bleeding, cardiac arrest and brain swelling -- led doctors to declare her brain-dead Dec. 12, a diagnosis confirmed by multiple doctors.

...more at link
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... rynews.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 pm 
ADMIN

Criteria of Brain Death
by Walid Maani, Professor of Neurosurgery at University of Jordan on Oct 17, 2012

A comprehensive discussion of death and the criteria required to assert it.What is clinical death and the conditions needed to diagnose it

Slideshow of discussion points...
http://www.slideshare.net/WalidMaani/cr ... rain-death

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm 
ADMIN

'Inevitable': As Jahi McMath deteriorates, brain-death case nears end
By Ari Bloomekatz
January 9, 2014, 5:35 a.m.

The lawyer for the family of Jahi McMath said this week the 13-year-old girl's body had deteriorated badly since she was declared brain-dead at an Oakland hospital.

But it's an inevitable end, according to a physician's declaration filed in court during the battle to keep her on a ventilator.

The deterioration of Jahi's body is now the only possible course and "became inevitable the moment she died," according to a court declaration from Dr. Heidi Flori, a critical care physician at Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland, which had sought to remove the teen from the ventilator after she was declared brain dead Dec. 12.

"The medical team and I believe that additional and more dramatic signs of the body's deterioration will continue to manifest over time, regardless of any procedures and regardless of any heroic measures that any facility in the country might attempt," Flori said in the declaration filed in U.S. District Court.

"Mechanical support and other measures taken to maintain an illusion of life where none exists cannot maintain that illusion indefinitely," she added.

Jahi underwent surgery Dec. 9 to remove her tonsils, adenoids and uvula at Children's Hospital Oakland. She was declared brain-dead three days later after going into cardiac arrest and suffering extensive hemorrhaging in her brain.

At least three neurologists confirmed Jahi was unable to breathe on her own, had no blood flow to her brain and had no sign of electrical activity.

...more at link

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z2pxJcsto8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 pm 
ADMIN

Handy Reference.....
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci ... source=pkg

Jahi McMath: Timeline of events in case of brain-dead Oakland teen
By Natalie Neysa Alund Oakland Tribune
Posted: 01/05/2014 09:27:39 PM PST

Dec. 9, 2013: Jahi undergoes tonsil surgery and two other procedures to remove throat and nasal tissue to treat sleep apnea at Children's Hospital Oakland. She reportedly awakes from surgery but later suffers complications, goes into cardiac arrest and is placed on a ventilator.

Dec. 11: Doctors declare Jahi legally brain dead. Jahi's family asks the hospital to keep her on a ventilator, believing she will recover.

Dec. 16: Jahi's family asks doctors to perform an additional test on her brain's electrical activity to see if she has any chance of recovery.

Dec. 17: Jahi's family lawyer emails a cease-and-desist letter to the hospital, demanding that doctors "refrain from any actions or activities which would remove Jahi from life support" and asking them to move the girl to another facility.

Dec. 18: Jahi's family calls on people from around the world to pray for Jahi, saying her fate should be in the hands of God, not in the hands of doctors. Jahi's mother tells the media she's asked the hospital for her child's medical records but was denied because the records were "not final."

Dec. 20: Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo rules that officials at Children's Hospital Oakland must keep Jahi on a ventilator until a court-approved doctor can assess whether the teen has any chance of recovering.

Dec. 23: Grillo extends an order keeping Jahi on a ventilator through the evening of Dec. 30. A court-appointed pediatric neurologist, Dr. Paul Fisher of Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, examines Jahi, looking for any signs of electrical activity or blood flow in the brain.

Dec. 24: Fisher testifies that Jahi meets all medical criteria for brain death. Grillo denies a petition to keep her on her ventilator past Dec. 30.

Dec. 26: Jahi's family says they have found a Bay Area facility willing to accept the girl for long-term care, but they refuse to identify the facility.

Dec. 27: Officials at Children's Hospital Oakland say they'll agree to release Jahi to long-term care but will not surgically insert a breathing or feeding tube, both of which are needed before she can be taken to a care home.

Dec. 29: Jahi's family announces that without the breathing and feeding tubes, they have been unable to secure a bed for the girl at a Bay Area facility or a second facility in Southern California. They say they are continuing to discuss the girl's case with a facility in New York state.

Dec. 30: Grillo extends his order keeping Jahi on a ventilator through Jan. 7, after the family says they plan to move her to the New York facility. A state appeals court also agrees to hear the family's case, issuing a temporary stay to block any changes in her care.

Dec. 31: The facility in upstate New York that may take Jahi for long-term care is revealed in court documents: The Medford, N.Y.-based New Beginnings Community Center, an outpatient facility founded by a former hair stylist after her father suffered a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident. The Terri Schiavo Foundation, named for the Florida woman whose persistent vegetative state provoked a fierce national debate over the rights of loved ones to make medical decisions, announces that it has been quietly aiding Jahi's family in finding a care facility.

Jan. 3, 2014: A negotiation supervised by Grillo and agreed to by both the family and the hospital allows Jahi's mother to remove her daughter from the hospital under certain conditions. The Alameda County Coroner issues but does not publicly release a death certificate for Jahi, marking Dec. 12 as the date of her death but listing no cause of death pending an autopsy.

Jan. 5, 2014:A team hired by Jahi McMath's family transfers her out of Children's Hospital Oakland and moves her to an unknown location.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:17 am 
ADMIN

I can NOT confirm this.... but I have seen many allusions to the family feeding Jahi post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhope
Okay, I'm gonna post this because it may explain what happened - I found it on the nurses message board that I have been reading about this case.

A man who was in both the recovery room and the PICU with his 4 year old son witnessed a lot. He posted in the LA Times in comments on a few of the articles which wound up deleted and comments disabled. I think they were compelled by lawyers for the hospital probably contacted him right after. Anyhow his description of what he himself witnessed went something like: 1. His son is 4 Nd was in Recovery Room. He said his son was not "special enough" to have both his parents in at the same time so they had to take turns to be with him. The RR nurses were distracted to the degree of clearing the other 15 family members all loud as can be from the RR. As the nurses did this mama and grandma fed Jahi bites of their Big Macs. Jahi started with a few bites then grandma provided the Popsicle but she had begun bleeding. Then mama fed her last few bites of Big Mac and immediately began bleeding heavier until it became waterfall like. I am going to venture a guess. Big Mac bites popped sutures to arteries. Grandma began suctioning and then the use of a large bucket was required. Hospital staff reacted to the situation as best as possible and as quickly as possible. 2. Later on in the PICU the father and his wife at separate times witnessed abuse of medical staff and all hospital staff in general by the entire family. The father describes the family as extremely ignorant, uneducated and disruptive. Ghetto period. The family had blatant disregard for every other family with critical children trying to survive and live these families also had to endure this circus. Disrespectful and selfish entitled behavior exhibited by the mother and uncle in particular. I feel terrible for all the families and hospital staff, doctors, nurses, pcas and CNAs right on to the janitor for having to be subjected to these.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 am 

It was just a matter of time:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 am 
ADMIN

I'll also post this in Marlise Muñoz - Brain dead and pregnant thread
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1167&p=66058#p66058

Ethicists criticize treatment of brain-dead patients
Liz Szabo, USA TODAY 10:17 p.m. EST January 9, 2014

Brain death raises ethical issues.

The cases of two young women — a California teen and a pregnant Texas mother — have generated sympathy for their families, but also have left some doctors and bioethicists upset about their treatment.

Many doctors are questioning continued medical procedures on a 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead nearly one month ago, calling interventions to provide nutrition to a dead body unethical.

Many people around the country also have questioned the decision of a Texas hospital to refuse to remove a pregnant woman from a ventilator, although her husband says she is brain dead. Her husband has asked for his wife to be taken off a breathing machine. The hospital, John Peter Smith Hospital in Forth Worth, has not commented publicly on her condition.

...more at link
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/4394173/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:19 am 

Be careful, if Jahi's family finds out that they will keep her alive if she is pregnant, they will have someone try to get her pregnant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am 

Mung! :lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 am 

Like you would put something like that past this family?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 am 

(I meant you are hilarious!)

No, I wouldn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next