Wow! Thanks, packy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 am 

James "Whitey" Bulger
07/31/2013
No word yet if Bulger will testify at own trial

http://wildabouttrial.com/prosecutors-w ... l-testify/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 am 

Good morning, packy! :)

What do you think? You've been following this closer than anyone I know, so I'm curious about your thoughts. Do you think he'll testify, and what are your general thoughts on this case?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 pm 

Hi, Liesel

Not sure what to think but I wish they would have let the immunity defense in to see if it could be disputed or not. But they say it wouldn't be permissible in a murder trial. Confusing.

He is being called a coward now for not talking according to the following article of August 2, 2013.

’Whitey’ Bulger won’t testify, calls trial a sham

BOSTON — Alleged Boston mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger revealed Friday that he wouldn’t be testifying in his own defense, but he said the decision was involuntary and that his racketeering trial was a “sham.”

Defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. met with Bulger on Friday morning and returned to the courtroom to tell the judge that he had finished presenting witnesses.

Bulger, who is on trial in a broad racketeering indictment that accuses him of participating in 19 murders in the 1970s and ‘80s, then told the judge that he had “involuntarily” decided not to testify.

“I feel that I’ve been choked off from having an opportunity to give an adequate defense,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned, I didn’t get a fair trial. This is a sham.”

More at link

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/2013 ... -sham.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:43 am 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... ing-trial/

August 4, 2013 9:05 AM

"Whitey" Bulger Trial: Highlights of the reputed mob boss' racketeering trial

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 am 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/06/ju ... latestnews

Jury in Bulger trial set to begin deliberations on racketeering charges

BOSTON – After nearly two months of testimony from gangsters, FBI agents and relatives of murder victims, the jury in the James "Whitey" Bulger racketeering trial is set to begin deliberating on a litany of charges against him.

The jury was expected to get the case against Bulger Tuesday after receiving instructions on the law from the judge.

Bulger, 83, is charged with participating in 19 murders during the 1970s and '80s while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.

During closing arguments Monday, Bulger's lawyers tried to put the government on trial, accusing federal prosecutors of making sweetheart deals with ruthless killers and pathological liars.

A prosecutor called Bulger "one of the most vicious, violent and calculating criminals ever to walk the streets of Boston."

More at Link

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:17 pm 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 2016.story

Judge tells 'Whitey' Bulger jury to focus on mob charges

Richard ValdmanisReuters
10:23 a.m. CDT, August 7, 2013

Excerpt

"The issue of statute of limitation should not concern you," U.S. District Judge Denise Casper told the 12-member jury on its second day of deliberations over whether the 83-year-old defendant is guilty of 32 criminal counts that could send him to prison for the rest of his life.

The jury of eight men and four women had asked if the statute of limitations applied to any of the charges, which include 19 murders the former leader of the feared "Winter Hill" gang is accused of committing or ordering in the 1970s and '80s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:33 pm 
ADMIN

'Whitey' Bulger guilty of 11 murders in sweeping Boston mob case
Scott Malone Reuters
4:29 p.m. CDT, August 12, 2013

BOSTON (Reuters) - James "Whitey" Bulger, a brutal gangster who ruled over Boston's criminal underworld in the 1970s and '80s and evaded capture for 16 years, was found guilty of murder and racketeering by a jury on Monday and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

The 83-year-old Bulger, dressed in a gray shirt, dark pants and white sneakers, stood quietly as the verdict was read, showing little emotional response to the decision by jurors to convict him after five days of deliberation in Boston federal court. His sentencing was scheduled for November 13.

...more at link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 2016.story

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 am 

For families, Bulger verdict brings closure, angst

Excerpt

BOSTON (AP) — The guilty verdicts against James ‘‘Whitey’’ Bulger brought catharsis and closure to relatives of the 11 victims in whose killings he was convicted of playing a role, but for the families of the eight people whose deaths couldn’t be definitively linked to the Boston mob boss, peace will be harder to come by.

Much more at link in two pages with reactions from various family members and pictures.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/ ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 am 

Hiya, packy! :) I thought of you when I heard this on the news yesterday. You've followed this closer than anyone I know - was it the right verdict?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 am 

:49 Bumping for packy to see question above. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 pm 

Whitey Bulger Sentenced To Pair Of Life Terms Plus Five Years In Prison

AP | By DENISE LAVOIE Posted: 11/14/2013 8:03 am EST | Updated: 11/14/2013 10:34 am EST
BOSTON (AP) — Former Boston crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger was sentenced Thursday to life in prison for his murderous reign of terror in the 1970s and '80s, bringing to a close a case that exposed FBI corruption so deep that many people across the city thought he would never be brought to justice.

Bulger, 84, was defiant to the end, calling his trial on racketeering charges a sham and refusing to testify or provide information to probation officials preparing a sentencing report for the judge.

A jury convicted Bulger in August in a broad racketeering indictment that included murder, extortion, money-laundering and weapons charges. The jury convicted Bulger in 11 of the 19 killings he was charged with participating in but acquitted him of seven and could not reach a conclusion on an eighth.

Judge Denise Casper heard testimony Wednesday from a dozen relatives among the 19 slaying victims. They called him a terrorist, a punk and even Satan. Prosecutors called him a sociopath.

More at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... lp00000009

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 pm 

I have to wonder, Liesel, when you hear what this juror thinks. http://www.wcvb.com/news/whitey-bulger- ... index.html

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I got really busy and didn't follow the trial as much about half way through. Wish I had now.

Bulger juror calls trial 'circus, sham,' regrets guilty verdictExcerpt

"We don't know half of what the FBI did," Uhlar said, referring to the government corruption that was documented at the trial and the deals that former Bulger associates got in exchange for their testimony.

Uhlar, who is an author, said she has been writing to Bulger in jail in an effort to "get at the truth."

"I have been," Uhlar said. "To try to get to the truth of it. He's written me, I don't know if it's the truth."

"I'm not telling you what he told me," Uhlar said.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/news/whitey-bulger- ... z2kdZR9jcJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:32 am 

Associated Press

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:07 PM

BOSTON — Convicted Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger has been moved to a federal prison in Arizona.

The U.S. Bureau of Prisons website on Friday listed Bulger as an inmate at the U.S. Penitentiary Tucson.

More at link

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/f ... izona.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks Packy :give

You have done a great job updating this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 am 
ADMIN

Whitey Bulger's attorneys appeal his conviction
By PHILIP MARCELO of Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) — Former Boston crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger is appealing the federal conviction that sent him to prison for life last year, arguing that he was unable to fully present his defense.

Bulger, who's 84, was convicted and sentenced on racketeering charges that tied him to 11 murders and other gangland crimes from the 1970s and '80s.

In an appeal filed Thursday in the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Bulger's lawyers Henry Brennan and James Budreau argue he was "deprived" of a critical defense in his trial: that a now-dead federal prosecutor had given him immunity from his crimes.

Bulger had been an FBI informant against the rival New England Mafia, which his lawyers say allowed him to avoid prosecution for almost 25 years while his Winter Hill Gang consolidated power and built a criminal enterprise that took in millions of dollars through drugs, gambling, loansharking and other illegal activities.

...more at link
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/white ... conviction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:35 pm 
ADMIN

James 'Whitey' Bulger dead: Notorious Boston mob boss found dead in West Virginia prison
Bulger, the former leader of the Winter Hill gang, was recently relocated to the West Virginia penitentiary.

By Pete Williams, Tom Winter and Rich Schapiro
Oct. 31, 2018

Notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger was found dead at a federal prison in West Virginia Tuesday, federal officials said.

Bulger, 89, had recently arrived at the high-security penitentiary USP Hazelton in West Virginia, according to the Boston Herald.

The feared former leader of the Winter Hill Gang, Bulger was convicted in 2013 of participating in 11 murders stretching from Massachusetts to Florida to Oklahoma.

Bulger was serving a life sentence.

He was previously relocated from a Florida prison to a facility in Oklahoma. Though Bulger is known to have medical ailments, it's not clear why he was on the move, the Herald reported.

...More at link
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-cour ... on-n926266