It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 am 
ADMIN

I am reluctant to start this thread.

The news is about Joran Van der Sloot's possible extradition to USA to face EXTORTION CHARGES.

It is NOT about charges related to the actual disappearance of Natalee Holloway!!

Where there is still..... NO EVIDENCE OF A CRIME.... let alone proof of WHO committed any crime.

To this day, nobody knows what happened to Natalee, and Joran is not charged with any crime related to that.

Lets stick to Extradition and the Extortion charges... this is not the place to redo Natalee Holloway's disappearance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:32 am 
ADMIN

Peru agrees to extradite Joran van der Sloot to US
Monday 23 April 2012

Peru has agreed to extradite Joran van der Sloot to the US in connection with the blackmailing of the mother of Natalee Holloway, according to local media quoted by news agency ANP.....
.....the Dutch national is also wanted in the US to face blackmail charges. Van der Sloot allegedly tried to blackmail Beth Holloway into giving him €250,000 in return for information on the whereabouts of her daughter's body. Some of the money was paid over, according to US media reports.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... _joran.php

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:46 am 
ADMIN

Most undercover operations like this run the risk of being labelled as "Entrapment"

And here that problem is compounded by the fact that Beth Twitty teamed up with Dutch Tabloid TV "journalist" Peter De Vries to make a tabloid "Documentary"... including Beth's version of the FBI operation. Her evidence on the matter will (I am sure) be questioned and labelled as sensationalised in order to make that money making documentary.
Beth Twitty compounded the problem.. by taking part in the infamous (and illegal) confrontation of Joran in Castro Castro Prison... filmed with hidden cameras.. again for a De Vries Tabloid Shockomentary.
Legal analysts at the time suggested that Beth had all but destroyed any chance of a conviction on the extortion charges.
Her evidence can be questioned... perhaps thrown out.. in light of her money making ventures based on the incident.. as well as her confronting the "defendant"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:48 am 
ADMIN

At the time that Beth Twitty "confronted" Joran in Castro Castro prison, there were any number of legal opinions that she had seriously damaged the "Extortion" case.
(Below is just one of many reports at the time)
And it wasn't just that one set up for a Dutch TV show. Beth teamed up with infamous Dutch tabloid TV "journalist" Peter De Vries... to produce a series of Tabloid type shows.. including an interview where outlined her version of the "extortion".

---------------
Van der Sloot Aided by Holloway Mom Visit?
(CBS/AP)
Has Beth Holloway Twitty, the mother of Natalee Holloway, hurt her efforts to bring Joran van der Sloot to justice?

The mother of the missing Alabama teen has come under some fire after reportedly sneaking into a Peruvian jail to confront the main suspect in her daughter's disappearance…….<SNIP>

Michael Griffith, an international criminal attorney, said on "The Early Show on Saturday Morning" that Twitty did a very inappropriate thing.

"She used very bad judgment," Griffith said, adding that her visit could hurt her case against van der Sloot. "She's a complainant in a case in Alabama for extortion, where van der Sloot (allegedly) took money from her. Since she's a possible witness, this could be construed as possible witness tampering. I don't know what he said to her, but even if he was inclined to speak to her, by bringing ... the reporter who had already once tricked van der Sloot into giving a confession, I'm sure he would have shut up seeing him there with Mrs. Twitty."

Griffith added it's unlikely Twitty will face charges for her contact with van der Sloot, but it could "certainly" hurt her case in the U.S. for extortion.

……….more at link
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/18/earlyshow/saturday/main6878945.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 pm 
ADMIN

LiveLaughLuv wrote:
Rumpole wrote:
I am reluctant to start this thread.

The news is about Joran Van der Sloot's possible extradition to USA to face EXTORTION CHARGES.

It is NOT about charges related to the actual disappearance of Natalee Holloway!!

Where there is still..... NO EVIDENCE OF A CRIME.... let alone proof of WHO committed any crime.

To this day, nobody knows what happened to Natalee, and Joran is not charged with any crime related to that.

Lets stick to Extradition and the Extortion charges... this is not the place to redo Natalee Holloway's disappearance.

Rumpole, no evidence of a crime? You did say a while back that you didn't think JVDS would be extradicted...but the paperwork is starting to flow..

No evidence of a crime in the disappearance of Natalee... I am not going through all that again.

The news is about extradition procedures starting.

There is a LONG way to go before it actually happens.

Obviously there is evidence in this extortion case.. there is no denying that... but I imagine that US LAWYERS will have a field day arguing this case... entrapment, contamination of witnesses, ulterior motives on Beth's part (Money and a chance to trap Joran so she can interrogate him about Natalee etc)

I am assuming that Joran will jump at a chance to get out of Peru... so maybe he and his lawyers will facilitate his extradition?

I don't suppose he will be keen to go back to Peru.. whatever the outcome of any US trial.... so I would expect another legal battle at that time.

I have yet to see where the authorities in Peru are agreeable to extradition? Politics will come into this sooner or later.
Maybe three-way politics with Dutch authorities involved?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:26 pm 
ADMIN

Several hurdles left to clear before US case begins against convicted murderer Joran van der Sloot
By Steve Harrigan
Published May 08, 2012
FoxNews.com

Joran van der Sloot may eventually face trial in the US on fraud and extortion charges, but there are still a number of hurdles to clear before the 24-year-old Dutchman serves any time in a US jail.
<SNIP>
In 2010, van der Sloot was indicted by an Alabama court for wire fraud and extortion. He had offered information to the Holloway family regarding the location of Natalee’s body in exchange for money. He received $25,000, but offered no information.
Van der Sloot used the $25,000 to go to Peru, where he entered a poker tournament and met Flores, who he then murdered in his hotel room.

Read "more": http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/08 ... z1uJOh8Fp0

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:28 pm 
ADMIN

Yet another story based on absolutely no new information or research :59

It is not in fact news at all?

Just a "journalist" interviewing his Blackberry

This renewed burst of interest in Van der Sloot is based solely on a statement by his defence lawyer. Perhaps Joran and his Lawyer would LIKE an extradition to USA? But "Many hurdles" is an understatement!!!

Not only multinational legal hurdles, but political ones with USA, Peru, Netherlands/Aruba all wanting a say I am sure.

Then...my guess..... a possible argument over jurisdiction? The alleged "extortion" took place in Aruba.... so it does not seem to me to be clear why the case should not be tried in Aruba??

Then.... the evidence is yet to be tested... was it entrapment?

Then.... the biggie..... Beth Twitty has brought her "evidence" into considerable doubt by using the incident and her (embellished) version of events in a money making Tabloid venture!

As always the article Repeats that Joran was "suspected" in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway...but there is STILL no evidence as to what happened to Natalee.. let alone Van der Sloot's involvement.

If the Extortion case does ever get tried.. it may raise questions about WHY it involved bank rolling Joran and enabling him to flee Aruba.. and as it turns out.. Murder Stephany Flores?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
ADMIN

Joran van der Sloot challenges extradition to U.S.
From Mayra Cuevas, InSession
May 9, 2012 -- Updated 1225 GMT

(CNN) -- Joran van der Sloot told a judge and prosecutor Tuesday that he would prefer to finish serving a 28-year murder sentence in Peru rather than be extradited to the United States to face charges related to the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, his Peruvian lawyer said.

Representatives from the U.S. Embassy and the FBI attended the extradition hearing, which was not open to the public, Maximo Altez told InSession on Tru TV.

....more at link
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/pe ... Stories%29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 am 
ADMIN

Van der Sloot's Extradition to US Must Wait
By Andrew Chow, JD at FindLaw.com
Mon Jun 4, 2012 9:46pm EDT

Joran van der Sloot's extradition to the United States will not happen
until after he serves his sentence for murder in Peru, the country's
highest court has ruled. That could be as long as 28 years.

But the decision by Peru's Supreme Court is not final, as Peru's justice minister and Cabinet must also approve it, van der Sloot's lawyer told the Associated Press.

Van der Sloot, convicted of murder in Peru, faces U.S. charges in connection with the disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba. "At the end of the day, the decision on whether to extradite Joran is political," his attorney told the AP.

The political process is rooted in the extradition treaty between the United States and Peru. The treaty allows a person who's convicted of a crime in Peru to be extradited to the United States to face prosecution for a separate crime.
If convicted and sentenced in the United States, the person would be sent back to Peru to finish his sentence, then extradited again to the United States to serve time there.
But Peru's Supreme Court apparently wants Joran van der Sloot to first serve out his Peruvian prison sentence before standing trial in the United States on lesser charges related to the Holloway case.
As other Peruvian prisoners are "in the same situation," the Supreme Court felt "[t]here's no reason Joran van der Sloot should be different," van der Sloot's lawyer told the AP.

....more at link
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/ ... 6920120605

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 am 
ADMIN

Joran Van Der Sloot blames lawyer for long prison sentence
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:42:11 AM
Updated: 7/5/2012 7:42:51 AM

CHICAGO (WLS) - In two letters, Joran van der Sloot blamed his lawyers for his nearly three-decade prison sentence, while he reiterated he had nothing to do with the 2005 disappearance of Natalee Holloway and begged for forgiveness for the murder of Stephany Flores.

Van der Sloot, 24, is serving 28 years in a Peruvian jail for the murder and robbery of Flores, a 21-year-old business student whose body was found in a Lima hotel room in May 2010 -- five years after the disappearance of Holloway.
Quote:
"I ask God every day that Stephany's parents can find it in their heart to forgive me," he reportedly wrote in the letters released by his attorney.

The letters, in which he refers to himself as a "psychological mess," were said to have been written in June and released this week by van der Sloot's attorney, Max Altez. In the letter, he asserts that he has "nothing to do with" Holloway's disappearance, while blaming poor legal representation for his long prison sentence. He says that a previous lawyer told him if he pled guilty he would only be jailed for 15 years.
Quote:
"My rights have been constantly abused," van der Sloot reportedly wrote. "After bad legal advice in which my lawyer promised me I would receive 15 years if I plead guilty, I did....I have a history of psychological problems which were never taken into consideration."

The Peruvian Supreme Court last month ruled that van der Sloot can be extradited to the U.S. to face charges that he extorted $25,000 from Holloway's mother, allegedly telling her that he could give her information that would lead to her daughter's body.

On Sept. 6, 2010, Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reported that van der Sloot admitted to the extortion, saying, "I wanted to get back at Natalee's family. Her parents have been making my life tough for five years"

...more at link
http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2487606&spid=

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:03 am 

Oh poor Joran...how HE's suffered so! :Q28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:20 pm 
ADMIN

Is Joran Van der Sloot going to be a father?
Convicted killer 'impregnated woman INSIDE Peruvian prison'

By Rachel Quigley
UPDATED: 13:28 GMT, 8 October 2012

Joran van der Sloot, who is serving a 28-year-sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman, has impregnated a woman while imprisoned in Lima, according to reports.

Van der Sloot's lawyer Maximo Altes told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf the pregnancy is past its third month.

The paper also claims that Van der Sloot confirmed the news in a telephone call.

The woman, identified by the paper only as 'Leidi', is said to have become pregnant during an unsupervised visit with the 24-year-old.
...snip....

This is just the latest in a slew of rumors surrounding the famous prisoner. In July, it was reported that he was planning to marry a mystery woman while behind bars. It is unclear whether it is the same woman.

The Dutchman’s lawyer, Maximo Altez, denied the tabloid rumors at the time, but added: ‘I’m just in charge of his legal issues, and I don’t participate in his private life.’

Mr Altez told the Daily Beast that the Peruvian newspaper cited him as their source on the matter, but said: ‘I deny all of that.’

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z28jkXiJQS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:57 pm 
ADMIN

To quote my old friend "pixies" (who deserves better than JQ) :42

"Wow, I was wrong. Prisons in Peru are awesome. All the drugs and sex you can want."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm 

Prison is supposed to be punishment, not fun!!! :62

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:38 pm 
ADMIN

It wont be fun when she visits and Joran has to change it's diaper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm 

And what happens when he doesn't want to change the diaper? Will he become enraged and kill her?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 am 
ADMIN

IF this story is true (big if) then it could be a very smart move on Joran's part.

Marry the girl perhaps... certainly father a Peruvian child... makes his extradition less likely?

Besides.... sex and drugs helps pass the time away in prison

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
One my early run-ins with JQ lynch mob mentality was over Natalee Holloway case.

I was accused (seriously) of being Joran Va der Sloot... because I kept pointing out there was no evidence of a crime.. let alone evidence to pin something on him.

I have a dear friend who refused to sign the paperwork for her daughtrer to go on that trip, and who said "poor sweet Natalie" was wild as a buck in rut, and just as fast. She said she seriously doubted anyone had to drug her to get her in that car, and she probably is still alive, and doesn't want to be found, because she would have to deal with Beth again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 pm 
ADMIN

One of the problems I had is that as in the GZ case... Natalee (and Beth) were decreed to be "victims" from the outset.

Sure.. on a simplistic level the person dead (or missing) is the victim, but it is silly to then refuse to "have a bad word said" about them.. because there may well be some negatives.. and you need to review ALL the evidence to get at the truth.

So... with Beth... I pointed out that she interfered in the case... told blatant lies on TV night after night.. and so actually corrupted the investigation. And since then as well. She is an "in your face" loud opinionated woman... I can well imagine a teenaged daughter wanting to get away from her.

Personally I don't think Natalee simply ran away.. she would have shown up by now... would have taken more of her stuff.

BUT whatever Joran did or didn't do... there is no evidence.

The most likely scenario (still supposition) is that Joran DID leave her (drunk) on the beach.. she went on board, or was taken on board one of the MANY overseas yachts that were coming and going for the annual "Soul Beach Music Festival"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:19 pm 

The lack of evidence was always overlooked, he was pronounced as guilty, regardless. I was living in GA at the time, and some of the local coverage did cover the problems between Natalie and Beth, none of it made the national media, though. A lot of similarities in the coverage of this and Zimmerman's case.