It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:44 am 
ADMIN

Giant Queensland spider devours snake
By Emily O'Keefe, ninemsn
09:00 AEDT Fri Apr 20 2012

It's the stuff nightmares are made of — a giant spider slowly killing a snake snared in its web.
Cairns man Ant Hadleigh filmed this creepy encounter in a friend's backyard on Wednesday.
He told ninemsn he spotted the brown tree snake snared in the golden orb spider's enormous web.
"The snake was probably a few feet long and the spider about the size of your hand," Mr Hadleigh said.

.........more at link (Includes Video of the event)
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/845 ... ours-snake

PHOTOS:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 pm 

Bowmanville's 'bird man' carries on after a beloved macaw is kidnapped

Longtime pets Sam and Buford were abducted; only Sam escaped

Mary Schmich
June 8, 2012

Buford and Sam were kidnapped last Friday at approximately 5:30 p.m. in the alley behind Nick Butkovich's house.

Butkovich had turned his back to putter with some bridles and sleigh bells — he was getting ready for the neighborhood yard sale — when he heard Buford and Sam scream. He whirled around just in time to see someone — a woman? — hustling them into a black Jeep Cherokee.

Butkovich, who is 65 and heavyset, dashed for his car and went in pursuit. The Jeep vanished.

By the time he got home, his neighbors, some of whom witnessed the crime, had gathered to share his dismay. There, in his despair, he got another shock.

Sam.

more at link..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... 594.column

So sad, I hope those kidnappers are caught! :97

Post subject: Animals do Mourn . .
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:55 pm 

10 Heartbreaking Animal Mourning Rituals

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/07/31/10-heartbreaking-animal-mourning-rituals/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D186413#photo=10

I once saw a documentary about a young male gorilla/chimp whose mother died. The troup gathered around her but moved on the next day.

He remained with his mother -- inconsolable -- and showed signs of extreme depression.

He made a nest in a tree, refused to eat and died.

figg :69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm 
ADMIN

Partners in crime
08:00am 31 Aug 2012 8 comments
NICK BARNETT

You have two pets, of the same species. Do they collude? Do they conspire? Do they concoct and contrive? Of course they do. Well, it seems as though they do. If only you could catch them in the act.

Trouble and Cloud are a formidable but subtle team. "Nice place you've got here. Shame if something happened to it."

More photos at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs ... s-in-crime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:07 pm 
ADMIN

My dear old deaf cat
NICK BARNETT
Last updated 08:30 29/08/2012

A vet confirmed last night what I'd suspected for the past week: that my cat Merrick has lost his hearing. Looking back, I realise that it hasn't happened suddenly or recently - Merrick has expertly masked his deafness by using his other remarkable cat-senses.

I think back to April, when pet photographer Erin McNulty called at our house to photograph our cat and dogs (the pictures of Merrick on this page are Erin's). She had a job getting Merrick to look at her - he just seemed to ignore her.

I think back to a couple of times this year when Merrick failed to notice me in the room and got startled when I sat down next to him.

And I realise now how soundly Merrick has slept, through barking sessions by the dogs and over-loud movies on TV.

What made me finally twig to Merrick's deafness was my failure to get him to come to the kitchen for a feed, despite my calling and tapping his food bowl. I then did some tests of his hearing, talking or clapping or clicking my fingers behind his head; his ears never twitched.

The vet says it's all to do with age: Merrick is about 13, and his body is showing wear in various ways.

But he's still plugged in to the world, thanks to all the other senses that are stepping up to compensate for the fading of one.

He can feel through his paws when I close the bedroom door in the morning, signalling that I'm up and able to feed him; he can probably also detect the gossamer tread of my feet down the hall.

His fur and whiskers pick up tiny changes in air pressure or puffs of displaced air as people move around him. I speculate that, though his ears won't pick up the frequency of Phoebe's barking, his lungs will (mine do).

His nose can track down a plate of food, even if someone else is eating it, from anywhere in the house. Especially if there's cheese content.

Above all, he has those big yellow eyes, which are as keen as ever.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs ... d-deaf-cat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm 
ADMIN

Return of the wandering cat
NICK BARNETT
Last updated 11:54 23/08/2012

Some cats are wanderers. Maybe yours is one. They stick around home most of the time, and get on well with their human companions. But every now and then they vanish for a day, two days, even three, then return. But three months?

This is the story of a ginger cat named Tig. He had been part of Kathryn's family since he was a tiny orphaned kitten. "He became my elder daughter's beloved boy and they were devoted to each other," says Kathryn. "They both grew up, she went away to university and he tolerated the rest of us until she came home for holidays. He was a lovely cat but had some hangups and a certain aloofness due, I suppose, to his difficult start in life."

Tig reached his mid-teens, remaining fit and with hunting skills much appreciated on the semi-rural property where his family lived.

Then, one evening in April, he went out for the night as usual but didn't turn up at the door the next morning to be let in. Kathryn was surprised but assumed Tig would turn up in due course. He didn't. Nor the next day, nor the next. "This was so out of character for this boy," she says. "[In recent] he would enjoy going from the house to the hay shed and that was about his lot. So after a few days I was getting very worried.

"We looked everywhere over the next week, all over our place and the neighbours'. I rang the SPCA and went and viewed one with a similar description (heartbreaking when it's not a match). After a few weeks we started looking for a deceased cat, along the road and under nooks and crannies, under the house. Nothing. We were all so sad. The house was unbelievably empty without him."

No sign, no answers. Then one evening, almost three months to the day of his disappearance, Kathryn was locking up the house for the night when she noticed what she thought was her younger ginger cat at the ranchslider waiting to come in. But it wasn't - it was Tig.

He wasn't a patch on his former seven-plus-kilo self. He was hungry, nervy and anxious - but home at last. It was a great day.

For a week, he spent most of the time on the upper shelf of Kathryn's wardrobe, only coming down when he heard activity in the kitchen. But now, a month later, Tig is his old self, hanging out by the fire in the evenings and finding the sunniest spots during the day. "I get the feeling he'll be staying around now," says Kathryn.

Link to story
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs ... dering-cat

The lesson of the story, she says: "Never give up on your missing felines. Sometimes they return."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:49 pm 

LOVEY'S WATER RESCUE

A series of photos by Gerald Herbert documented the scene as Don Duplantier paddled a canoe to and from his flooded home to rescue two items of precious cargo: Lovey the cat and a bridesmaid’s dress Don’s daughter will wear at her brother’s wedding.

The Duplantier family evacuated ahead of Hurricane Isaac last week, and Don went back yesterday to retrieve Lovey and the dress. Residents are officially barred from returning to their flooded homes at present, but Don was able to talk his way in past the barricades.

http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2012/09/03/loveys-water-rescue/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm 
ADMIN

Glad Lovey was rescued..... I guess the dress too since he was there :9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Glad Lovey was rescued..... I guess the dress too since he was there :9

Poor little kitty still looks frightened. but at least she's ok! :8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 am 
ADMIN

Missing cat found 6 days after Indianapolis blast

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A missing family cat has been rescued from the ruins of a home near the center of the deadly Indianapolis house explosion.

Fire Capt. Rita Burris says the black cat named Gidget had been missing since the fiery blast late Saturday night.

A federal investigator found Gidget on Friday hiding behind a couch in the home of her owners, Glenn and Gloria Olvey. Burris says the cat was scared but otherwise in good condition. The Olveys already had recovered their other three pets.

The family lives next door to the house where the blast is believed to have originated.

Glenn Olvey says the blast hurled him several feet and trapped him, his wife and one of their two teenage daughters when their roof collapsed.

Shelters are housing several recovered pets.

http://www.local8now.com/news/weird/hea ... 28961.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:46 am 

Nice story with good news.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
ADMIN

3-week-old kitten rescued from Abraham Lincoln statue

Cat may be adopted, renamed Abe

Author: Kala Rama, Anchor/Reporter,
Published On: Nov 18 2012 01:09:17 PM EST Updated On: Nov 19 2012 06:24:50 AM EST

CLERMONT, Fla. - A 3-week-old kitten trapped inside the Abraham Lincoln statue at the Clermont President's Hall of Fame was rescued Sunday afternoon, and the animal may soon have a new home -- and name.

The Humane Society and Minneola firefighters cut a hole into the statue, and a firefighter went inside the statue to rescue the kitten.

The cat was dehydrated and hungry but will be nursed back to health by a local veterinarian and put up for adoption.

The Curator at the President's Hall of Fame is hoping to adopt the cat and name him Abe.

...more at link
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/3-week ... index.html

Video Report:
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/3-Week ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm 

Awww...so glad "Abe" was rescued and hopefully has a new home soon! :8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:06 pm 
ADMIN

Kittens left to die
By reekah Fraser

The Hokitika SPCA is appalled with the find of six kittens, discarded and left to die at Lake Kaniere. A woman found the litter at the back of the Sunny Bight toilets on Friday and managed to capture six kittens. The mother and two other kittens were unable to be caught and had to be left behind. Efforts are being made to rescue them. SPCA manager Louise Royal said the six-week-old kittens were toilet trained and were used to human interaction. “For whatever reason, they’ve been dumped. It’s very sad. There’s 1080* in the area and birdlife. All they had to do was bring them here instead of dumping them.” The SPCA wanted to hear from anyone who may know where the kittens had come from. “It’s also an important reminder to spay and neuter your pets so these situations don’t happen,” she said.

http://greystar.co.nz/content/kit%E2%80 ... 80%8At-die

* 1080 = Poison laid to control possums

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm 

Image Rumpy, are you on your way to the SPCA to adopt those kittens? Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:57 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks, nameofthepen... you might have noticed a slight bias towards cats and cat stories on my part? :31

So it's good to get some other input... an impressive rescue... herds of animals always look impressive.. the Vangelis music adds to the splendour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Thanks, nameofthepen... you might have noticed a slight bias towards cats and cat stories on my part? :31

Gee, no. I didn't notice. :12

Rumpole wrote:
So it's good to get some other input... an impressive rescue... herds of animals always look impressive.. the Vangelis music adds to the splendour

Glad you liked! Yes, I posted some horses, because I thought that maybe, like me, you're trying to gain some control over your addiction to cats. :9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 pm 
ADMIN

Moved some "Chat" to daily chat thread
It's as much me as anyone else.... sorry to move stuff. :24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am 
ADMIN

Pets who rule the roost: Caught red-pawed
LISA DU FALL
Last updated 14:30 11/12/2012

RED PAWED: Mochi gets caught in the act in the bookshelf.

So often I come home from work and there's some sort of mess which I can only assume is from the cats. Feathers all over the bedroom, skinks tails on the carpet, cat beds overturned or paw prints on the bench.

Our cats spend more time at home than we do, and they certainly seem to make the most of it.

It seemed the latest adventure was the bookshelves in the lounge. I kept coming home to various titles having been pulled out of the shelves. About the third time it happened, I caught one of them in the act, although she was already caught by the looks of it...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/pet ... -red-pawed

Vandal cat - Moochie caught on camera

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am 

This does not surprise me at all. I know they sometimes do naughty things during the day when I'm at work. The look on the dog's face usually gives it away! :84

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next