It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:54 pm 
Online
ADMIN
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm
Posts: 46251
Location: Pomeroy's Wine Bar
Esteban Santiago - Islamic savage gone feral

Seems to be showing his index finger... It's an Islamic "we ass-wipe with our fingers" thing I guess?


Image

_________________
Image Do not go gentle into that good night.
___________ Rage, rage against the dying of the light


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Security footage shows the horrifying moment the 'Fort Lauderdale killer' pulled out a handgun and started firing inside the airport's baggage claim

• Surveillance footage from inside the terminal shows Esteban Santiago open fire
• The horrifying video starts as the 26-year-old appears to be walking calmly away
• He then reaches into his waistband and pulls out the handgun and starts firing
• The Iraq War veteran killed five people and wounded six others in the massacre

By Liam Quinn | Dailymail.com | Updated: 13:53 EST, 8 January 2017


Image

This is the moment the Fort Lauderdale killer pulled out his handgun and started firing at innocent passengers.

Esteban Santiago, 26, shot dead five people and wounded six more when he opened fire inside the baggage claim at Terminal 2 of the Florida airport on Friday afternoon.

Shocking surveillance footage, first obtained by TMZ, shows the Iraq war veteran calmly walk into shot before pulling the pistol from his waistband.

He then begins firing, appearing to be aiming initially at a man in front of him.

Santiago then runs out of the frame as people desperately take shelter.

The 26-year-old could face the death penalty after being accused of an act of violence at an international airport resulting in death, and weapons charges.

Santiago flew into the airport from Anchorage, Alaska - with a layover in Minneapolis-St Paul - on Delta flight 2182 with a firearm as his only piece of checked luggage, in accordance with TSA regulations, authorities believe.

The 26-year-old, who was dressed in a Star Wars T-shirt, claimed his bag, went to the bathroom to load his handgun and then started shooting people dead, according to the county commissioner.

More [in-depth] at link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rport.html


Last edited by Molly on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Airport shooting suspect gets public defender in court
By Curt Anderson | AP U.S. News | January 9, 2017, 5:23PM ET


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The Iraq war veteran held in the fatal shooting of five people inside Fort Lauderdale's airport was appointed a federal public defender on Monday after telling a judge that he has no job and only $5 or $10 in the bank.

Esteban Santiago, 26, spoke clearly during a brief hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Alicia Valle, who ordered him held until his next hearings.

Shackled in a red jumpsuit in the heavily guarded federal courtroom, Santiago answered mostly yes or no to questions, and told the judge he understands the charges, which include committing violence against people at an international airport resulting in death, and two firearms offenses.

She told him the death penalty could apply.

"We are telling you the maximum penalty allowed by law so that you understand the seriousness of the charges," the judge said.

He said he had been in the Army, where he made about $15,000 a year. He mentioned expenses including $560 in monthly rent, plus phone and other utility bills. He said he owns no property and doesn't have a vehicle. He said he had worked for a security company, Signal 88, in Anchorage, Alaska, until November, making $2,100 a month, but currently only had $5 to $10 in the bank.

Given his finances, the judge decided he's eligible for government lawyers at taxpayer expense.

Valle set a detention hearing for Jan. 17, followed by an arraignment for entering a plea for Jan. 23.

More than a dozen officers kept watch outside the courthouse, carrying rifles and wearing bulletproof vests. There were also mounted police and K-9 units.

More at link: https://apnews.com/b91167fffa4046599a78189d19fe0c3d


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:19 pm
Posts: 2957
It's a shame someone didn't pop him off at the airport and save the tax payers the expense of a trial.

_________________
If your mind is agitated you will find agitation everywhere. Where else will you find peace if not within you? __ Papaji


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Suspected Airport Shooter Used Florida License For Gun Permit
By CBS Miami | January 20, 2017


FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) — Esteban Santiago provided a Florida driver’s license when he applied for a gun permit in Puerto Rico, according to court records obtained by the Sun Sentinel.

So did the 26-year-old accused airport gunman ever live in Florida?

Official records show he didn’t.

It raises questions about federal laws and procedures concerning identity and combating terrorism.

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shows Santiago obtained the ID in August 2012 and it expires in 2021. Two months later he applied for the weapons permit in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory.

Even more odd, the ID lists his “prior state and driver license number” as “foreign country.”

Obtaining Florida ID’s require several forms of documentation to prove residence, including a birth certificate or passport, Social Security card and two items mailed to their Florida address, like utility bills.

Esteban Santiago told authorities that he bought a one-way ticket to Ft. Lauderdale and planned out the attack.

More at link: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/20/su ... un-permit/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Grand Jury Formally Charges Man Accused In Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting
By Giovanna Maselli | CBS Miami | January 26, 2017


Image

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) — A federal grand jury indicted the man accused in a deadly mass shooting at a Fort Lauderdale airport.

On Thursday, a federal grand jury handed down a 22-count indictment against Esteban Santiago in connection to the shooting on January 6th at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

Santiago’s arraignment is scheduled for Monday, January 30th at 10 a.m. before a federal judge in Fort Lauderdale.

More at link: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/26/fo ... -santiago/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
He confessed to FBI and gave specifics how he carried out the shootings. Today he pleads not guilty. :doh

Accused airport shooter Esteban Santiago pleads not guilty to 22 charges
By Paula McMahon | Sun-Sentinel | January 30, 2017


The Iraq war veteran charged with killing five people and injuring six others in a mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale's international airport pleaded not guilty to the allegations against him on Monday.

Esteban Santiago, 26, leaned over the wooden lectern in court and appeared to read along as U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Seltzer read the entire 17-page indictment aloud to him - including the names of the five people killed in the mass shooting.

Santiago replied "yes" after each of the 22 charges when Seltzer asked if he understood them.

Santiago appeared calm and spoke in the same monotone he has used in all of the prior hearings. He was handcuffed to a chain around his waist, shackled and wore a red jumpsuit with the words "Max Custody Inmate" in black letters on the back.

One of his lawyers then told the judge that Santiago was pleading not guilty to all of the charges.

If convicted of the most serious counts, he faces life in federal prison or the possibility of the death penalty.

He is charged with five counts of causing death at an international airport, six counts of causing serious bodily injury at an international airport, five counts of causing death during a crime of violence and six counts of using a firearm during a crime of violence.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Judge has concerns about airport shooting suspect's mental health
By Paula McMahon | Sun-Sentinel | February 16, 2017


The judge overseeing the case against the man accused of the fatal mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport expressed serious concerns about his mental health on Thursday.
[...]
Prosecutor Lawrence LaVecchio told the judge that when Santiago was interviewed by agents in the hours after the shootings, he appeared to understand what he had done, answered questions in a "cogent and responsive" way and detailed his activities that led to the shootings.

After initially claiming to have been "programmed" to commit the offense, LaVecchio said Santiago "later recanted that" and said he had planned the shooting. Agents previously testified that Santiago said he had gone into "jihadi" chat rooms online and was influenced by Islamic State terrorists. But prosecutors have not filed any terrorism-related charges after examine his computers and phones.

Santiago, who wore beige jail scrubs and was handcuffed and shackled in court, answered the judge's questions with a series of "yes" and "no" answers. He said he understood what was going on in his case and had no objection to the delay.

The defense lawyers told the judge they have not yet received Santiago's medical records from the Broward County Main Jail, where he was initially held, or the federal detention center in downtown Miami.

They said it is the recommended practice in potential federal death penalty cases for defense lawyers to wait to request a legal competency or mental health evaluation until after they have completed much of their investigation about the person's background and any possible evidence that might help to persuade prosecutors not to seek the death penalty.

The judge said she could independently request a competency evaluation, given her concerns. But she agreed to wait for at least 30 days to let the defense get all of Santiago's mental health records and after the lawyer assured her that they think he is legally competent at this stage.

The judge said agreed to wait at least until Santiago's next court appearance, which she scheduled for March 15.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
He's due in Federal Court tomorrow. :roll

Airport shooting suspect is being treated for schizophrenia, defense team says
By Paula McMahon | Sun-Sentinel | March 13, 2017


Airport mass shooting suspect Esteban Santiago is being treated for two severe mental health conditions that can cause people to lose touch with reality, but he remains legally competent to stand trial, court records show.

Two teams of doctors at different jails have diagnosed Santiago with two psychotic illnesses: schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, according to his defense attorneys. Both conditions, when not treated correctly, can result in hallucinations and delusions, mania, depression and other symptoms.

Santiago, who turns 27 on Thursday, refused to take medication for a short time after his arrest Jan. 6, but he has been taking a prescription medication, Haldol, for the past month, his lawyers wrote in recently filed court records.

“As [he] is now committed to adhering to the medication regimen prescribed for him … his mental stability is unlikely to change before trial,” Assistant Federal Public Defender Eric Cohen wrote in a status report for the judge.
[...]
Santiago’s trial is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 2 in federal court in Miami.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Not much gonna happen on this one for a while. Will put on the back burner for the time being. :roll

Death penalty decision in airport shooting case could take year or more
By Paula McMahon | Sun-Sentinel | March 15, 2017

It could take a year or more before prosecutors decide whether to seek the federal death penalty for the man accused of killing five people and injuring six others at Fort Lauderdale's international airport.

During a brief court hearing for Esteban Santiago on Wednesday, prosecutors said that the Washington, D.C.-based panel that advises the attorney general on capital cases wants detailed reports from the defense and prosecutors before making any decision.

In less complicated cases involving a single death and no mental health challenges, that process can take the defense eight months, Santiago's attorneys told the judge. But they said a year would be a more realistic estimate in such a complicated case, involving multiple deaths, serious mental illness and witnesses who live in several different states.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
The judge says this date is "realistic". :roll

Airport shooting suspect Esteban Santiago set for trial Jan. 22
By Paula McMahon | Sun Sentinel | June 9, 2017


Esteban Santiago, accused of killing five people and wounding six others at Fort Lauderdale’s airport, has been scheduled for trial Jan. 22.

U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom set the trial date Friday in federal court in Miami. Santiago, 27, has pleaded not guilty to 22 charges linked to the Jan. 6 shooting at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

His defense attorneys told the judge there has been no change in his mental health since the last court hearing and that he is still competent to face trial. He is taking Haldol, an antipsychotic prescription drug, they said.

Bloom has been closely monitoring the case because Santiago has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and refused to take medication at times soon after his arrest.

Federal prosecutors have not yet decided whether they will seek the death penalty or life in prison.

That decision process is expected to take several months. The prosecution and defense must compile extensive paperwork before presenting the reasons why execution may or may not be the appropriate penalty to a committee in the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. The final decision lies with U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Both sides said they are still painstakingly going through an enormous amount of evidence in the case.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 am
Posts: 5116
Location: Fort Worth
Fort Lauderdale airport shooter has resumed taking meds, awaits death penalty decision
By Paula McMahon | Sun Sentinel | November 3, 2017


The man accused of killing five people and wounding six in a mass shooting earlier this year at Fort Lauderdale’s international airport has resumed taking anti-psychotic medication for schizophrenia and remains mentally competent to stand trial, his attorneys told a judge on Friday.

Esteban Santiago, 27, stopped taking the drug Haldol in September because he was experiencing painful side effects, his defense team said.

Officials at the U.S. Justice Department have not yet decided if they will seek the death penalty for Santiago.

The defense has a Nov. 22 deadline to submit a package of evidence and arguments to try to persuade prosecutors not to seek the death penalty. The filing is expected to include details about Santiago’s history of mental illness, his military service in Iraq and other aspects of his life.
[...]
His trial is currently scheduled for Jan. 22 in federal court in Miami, but it could be delayed.

More at link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group