It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 pm 

Aurora theater shooting trial could finish by Labor Day

DenverPost
By John Ingold | Updated 3/12/2015

CENTENNIAL — Jury selection in the Aurora movie theater shooting trial passed a key milestone Thursday, one day after the judge said the entire trial should be finished by the end of summer.

Judge Carlos Samour and the attorneys on both sides on Thursday qualified the 68th juror to move onto the final stage of jury selection. That number is significant because it is the minimum number of jurors needed in the final phase to seat a jury.

Samour is ultimately looking for 12 jurors and 12 alternates who can fairly listen to evidence in the case. Those 24 will be chosen after one final group questioning of potential jurors — a phase scheduled to begin on April 13. During that final stage, each side will also have 22 peremptory challenges, which they can use to strike a juror without giving a reason.

Thursday marked the halfway point for the current stage of jury selection, during which Samour and the attorneys spend up to an hour questioning individual prospective jurors.

"We are right on track," Samour said at the end of Thursday's session.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27700902/aurora-theater-shooting-trial-could-finish-by-labor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:54 am 

Openings in Aurora theater shooting trial to begin on April 27

DenverPost
By Tom McGhee | Updated 3/18/2015

Opening statements in the Aurora movie theater shooting are scheduled to begin in Arapahoe County District Court on April 27, a court spokesman said Tuesday.

Rob McCallum, a spokesman for the Colorado Judicial Department, said he has no further information on the timing of the trial of James Holmes, who is accused of killing 12 people in July 2012.

District Court Judge Carlos Samour Jr. is handling the case, including overseeing jury selection. Because of the magnitude of the case, he summoned an unprecedented 9,000 potential jurors.

But jury selection has gone much faster than expected, and opening statements are now scheduled more than a month earlier than originally planned.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27728914/openings-aurora-theater-shooting-trial-begin-april-27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:53 pm 

Jury selection continues this week.
Here’s how hard it will be to put Aurora theater shooter to death

FOX31DENVER
By HSING TSENG | 3/20/2015

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Sentencing someone to death in Colorado is harder than you may think, as proven by the lengthy process involved in capital punishment cases.

It’s a process that thousands of potential jurors in the Aurora theater shooting trial have been getting an education in over the course of the last three months.

Usually in a first-degree murder trial, if the jury returns a guilty verdict, the judge must return a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. However, in cases like the theater shooting trial, when the prosecution seeks the death penalty, as the Arapahoe County District Attorney is doing in this case, it’s the jury that decides the sentence.

This is why jury selection on capital punishment cases takes so long: The court has to ensure each and every juror can be fair and impartial throughout both the trial and the sentencing hearing, if there is a sentencing hearing. Following a guilty verdict, jurors have to be able to consider both penalties – life imprisonment and death by lethal injection – and follow a specific process to decide the appropriate punishment.

...more at link
http://kdvr.com/2015/03/20/heres-how-hard-it-will-be-to-put-aurora-theater-shooter-to-death/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:42 am 

There is minimal news online during the jury selection process.
This is the best source I can find to follow, until the jury is seated.

Hsing Tseng retweeted
Brandon Johansson@SentinelBrandon 3/24/2015, 5:30PM EDT
Just two jurors asked to return in #theatershooting trial today, rest released. 86 headed to next round. Court in recess until tomorrow.

Hsing Tseng, Intern at FOX31Denver
Brandon Johansson, Reporter for the Aurora Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 am 

Defense jury strategy could decide Aurora theater shooting trial
Opening statements in the trial are scheduled for April 27.

DenverPost
By John Ingold | Updated 3/29/2015

CENTENNIAL — The conversation between defense attorney Tamara Brady and Juror No. 1073 was nearly identical to dozens that had come before in jury selection for the Aurora movie theater shooting trial.

For 15 of her allotted 20 minutes, Brady explained the multistep process for deciding a death sentence in Colorado. Then she reached the final step — the step where jurors would make the ultimate decision — and she looked at No. 1073.

"That," she told him, "becomes more about you."

If jurors convict but then spare the life of James Holmes at his upcoming murder trial, it could well be because of a carefully calibrated jury selection strategy being used by Holmes' attorneys that places the moral weight for a death sentence onto individual jurors. The strategy, known as the Colorado Method, was developed by public defenders in Colorado three decades ago and is now being used by defense attorneys across the country.

It is an example of how attorneys use the tedious jury selection process not only to weed out unfit jurors but also to get a head start on persuading those who might serve.

But, with Holmes' case and another death penalty case in Denver set for trial this summer, the Colorado Method is facing a new test in the state of its origin.

"I think a decent prosecutor can counter it," said former Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant.

Death sentences must be unanimous; even one juror who votes for life can override the votes of 11 others choosing death.

So, at its most basic, the Colorado Method coaches jurors that a death sentence is a deeply personal choice and not a collective analysis.

"You teach jurors that morality-based thinking is different than fact-based thinking," said Denver defense attorney David Lane, who teaches classes on the Colorado Method across the country.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27806839/defense-jury-strategy-could-decide-aurora-theater-shooting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:30 am 

The attorney already trying to put emotional guilt on the juror just pisses me off. I know that is her job. If I was sitting there as a potential juror I would think "No, you disgusting human being, that would be on Holmes for being a mass murderer, and that is what I would tell any wavering jurors if I made it through the whole process.

In a psychological way the technique might back fire as people who can accept the responsibility for punishing evil may have the same reaction I did to the scummy attorney.

Anyone here read anything about Holmes that gives a good pro and/or con case for his mental state at the time of the massacre ? My understanding which is not that well informed is that he had taken some psych classes and that the attack was a bit too well ordered for someone in a psychotic break.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:51 am 

Hmmm.. just a little research and I found that Holmes searched "Rational Insanity" before his massacre.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/web/kmg ... -testimony

It is an odd term to search if you just feel like you are going crazy. And usually crazy people aren't cognizant of their decent into madness.

He was on Psychotropic drugs. It appears he likely had a high genius IQ as he stood out in the Neuroscience Program. Being a genius and part of the world of academia in the neuroscience field he could have intellectually grasped to one degree or another that his brain was betraying him and was doing the intellectual research to try and find a solution.

Much of the left leaning mental health field is pure trash, I call it the Oprah effect, where one just has to think, wish, whatever, but somehow magically change their body chemistry. I had a huge fight in a classroom about 3 years ago with a licensed visiting Psychiatrist who told an entire classroom of young heads full of mush, that many of the mentally ill do not need medications but only proper support. Dangerous dumb man. I said he was giving them dangerous advice and things went downhill pretty quickly.

:WW <<< That was me.

Interesting piece;

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... -murderer/

Holmes acting one way in front of jurors and another when they are not present is another ..hmmm..

Holmes was also interested in dysphoric mania and under the care of a therapist.

I am on the fence here but I'm leaning toward Holmes battling the loss of his mind. Either way Holmes should never be outside of a prison or a locked psych facility for the rest of his natural life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 pm 

:28 Hi Carm,

Thanks, as always, for your comments. I just found an article about Holmes' parents' interview with a station in California, and thought about you. ;) Not posting as the next one covers it along with other information. I cannot find ANY news about this long, exhausting jury selection process. Four more weeks until trial. :98

Last edited by Molly on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:58 pm 

Mother of Aurora theater shooter writes book as trial looms

FOX31DENVER
By Chuck Hickey | March 31, 2015

DEL MAR, Calif. — The mother of Aurora theater gunman James Holmes has written a book, revealing she prays for the victims of the shooting daily.

Most of the book, titled “When the Focus Shifts: The Prayer Book of Arlene Holmes,” contains a collection of prayers from her handwritten journals.

It also includes Arlene Holmes’ feelings of guilt for not recognizing her son’s mental illness and not getting him help. In one passage, she implies her son lived so he could be studied to prevent a future tragedy.

“What were you thinking, Jim? And what are you thinking now? Praying for Jim in jail; please don’t commit suicide. You lived so that we could understand you and others could study you and learn to prevent future tragedy,” Arlene Holmes wrote in an entry from Jan. 12, 2013.

Holmes’ parents and his attorneys have said he was in a psychotic episode when he burst into the midnight showing of “The Dark Night Rises” at the Century Aurora 16 Multiplex Theater and opened fire on July 20, 2012.

Each of the 12 people who were killed and the 70 others who were injured are named in the book.

Arlene Holmes said in an interview with the Del Mar Times that James Holmes was never violent.

“We never owned a gun,” Arlene Holmes said. “James showed no interest in guns.”

She and her husband, Robert, say they are preparing for their son’s trial and hope his life can be spared. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

The trial is expected to begin with opening statements April 27.

...more at link
http://kdvr.com/2015/03/31/mother-of-aurora-theater-shooter-writes-book-parents-give-interview-as-trial-looms/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:13 am 

Thanks for the link Molly. I don't have time at the moment to really process everything I've read but I find the attitude of Holme's mom very interesting and not in a good way. I don't like her and I don't trust her and I think she is working the emotional suffering mom angle with disgusting audacity.

This line is from her open letter to the "world"

We do not know how many victims of the theater shooting would like to see our son killed.

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com ... arents.pdf

How dare Arlene Holmes try to make the victims of her son's murderous rampage feel guilty if they think that Holmes was not insane and think the appropriate punishment for Holmes is the death penalty. That does not mean they would like to see James killed it means they think that when a man chooses to open fire in a closed movie theater, killing maiming and scarring for life dozens of people that the perpetrator of that crime has forfeited his right to life, even a life behind bars.

I can not even for a moment imagine the grief a mothers heart would be filled with after her son's rampage, but this case is about justice not one mothers heart.

This is an interesting article from 2014 Feb.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25214 ... e=infinite

My best guess is that this is going to be an epic battle about many things including; legal insanity as defined by Colorado, mental illness, Mental health experts opinions, what Holmes "searches" on the internet reveal and what state of mind (premeditation and deviously setting up of an insanity defense before the attack) Holmes was most reasonably in, the death penalty, and the legal difference between your simple evil sociopath and the criminally insane.

I've read quite a bit now and I am more inclined to believe that Holmes was a bad egg with anti social issues kind of like Ray Routh.

I don't buy the psychotic break during the time of the attack, Holmes well ordered and stoic behavior as rescue crews got to the scene, his outfit that made first responders think he was a Swat member or other such rescuer go to premeditated deception aimed at getting away, Holmes setting up the booby trapped apartment, his purchasing of the guns, his purchasing of other items used as early as 4 months before the attack all point to an ordered mind not a psychotic mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:54 pm 

Emotional Aurora theater shooting trial juror says daughter nearly attended fatal movie premiere

AuroraSentinel.com
By CLAIRE SISUN |April 9, 2015

CENTENNIAL - A woman whose daughter nearly attended “The Dark Knight Rises,” where accused theater shooter James Holmes killed 12 and wounded 70, was kept as a potential juror Wednesday.

The woman, who said her daughter’s friend was among those who were killed, cried during questioning April 8 and said that despite her connection to the shooting and her previous experiences, she could be fair and impartial.

“I have had bumps in my road. I lost a child,” the prospective juror said during questioning by Holmes’ attorneys.

Judge Carlos Samour Jr. said the juror wasas “a tough person” and a “very strong woman.”

One juror was released because in 2008 he witnessed a shooting at a house party on Halloween. He said that serving as a juror would be emotionally difficult and would bring back bad memories. Other jurors were released for financial hardship, the inability to presume Holmes as innocent and the inability to sentence a defendant to death.

As of April 8, 111 jurors have been scheduled for group questioning on April 13th. The final 24 jurors that will hear the case will be selected during group questioning next week. Opening statements are scheduled for April 27.

Source:
http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/emotional-aurora-theater-shooting-trial-juror-says-daughter-nearly-attended-fatal-movie-premiere/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:10 am 

Aurora movie theater shooting jury pool cut down to 115 names
Opening statements are scheduled for April 27.

The Denver Post
By John Ingold | April 10, 2015

CENTENNIAL — From an unprecedented 9,000 jury summonses sent out for the Aurora movie theater shooting trial, the judge has whittled the pool to 115 names.

The second phase of the arduous jury-selection process ended Friday, when Judge Carlos Samour and the attorneys on both sides of the case concluded with one-on-one questioning of jurors. Next comes a final scrutiny of the jurors in a big group. If all goes as planned, a jury could be seated in the nearly 3-year-old case on Monday.

Samour had hoped to have 120 to 130 jurors still in the pool at this point. But, despite a better-than-expected start, Samour and the attorneys had an increasingly difficult time qualifying jurors as the questioning sessions went on.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27891792/aurora-movie-theater-shooting-jury-pool-cut-down

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 pm 

93 left in theater shooting jury pool with 1 day left of selection

FOX31DENVER
By WILL C. HOLDEN | April 13, 2015

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Some claimed new hardship. Others claimed a change of heart about their ability to be impartial. Some voiced claims the judge felt were credible. Others shed what the judge felt were crocodile tears.

Regardless, even after excusing 19 potential jurors during the first day of group questioning in the Aurora theater shooting case on Monday, the presiding Arapahoe County District court still had 93 potential jurors remaining to fill 24 seats in the final stage of jury selection, which will conclude Tuesday.

District Court Judge Carlos Samour Jr. would like to proceed to trial with 12 jurors and 12 alternates. However, he indicated on Monday he could take as few as eight alternate jurors if need be.

Among the 93 potential jurors still remaining after Monday’s session was a husband-and-wife duo, the first such duo Samour said he has ever seen in a jury pool. Samour indicated the court would only keep one of them, and when pressed by the judge, the wife indicated it would be easiest on their family if her husband was retained.

The woman added “sorry honey,” before making that statement.

...more at link
http://kdvr.com/2015/04/13/93-left-in-theater-shooting-jury-pool-with-1-day-left-of-selection/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:28 am 

Jury chosen in Colorado theater shooting trial

USATODAY
By Trevor Hughes | April 15, 2015, 7:05 a.m. EDT

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- Jurors late this month will begin hearing the legal arguments against accused theater shooting suspect James Holmes, who faces the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutors want to execute Holmes in connection with 12 shooting deaths at a suburban Denver movie theater in July 2012.

The Arapahoe District Court on Tuesday seated the 12 jurors who will decide his fate, along with 12 alternates in case any jurors drop out during what is expected to be a months-long trial filled with graphic descriptions of the shooting and aftermath. Opening arguments are set for April 27.

...more at link
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/14/jury-chosen-in-colorado-theater-shooting-trial/25794939/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 am 

Details emerge about jury picked for Colorado theater shooting trial
Consultant: “If I was helping ... I would be concerned about that juror”

Yahoo News
By Jason Sickles | April 15, 2015

The State of Colorado v. James Holmes finally has a jury: 19 women, five men and a host of potential concerns.

At least two of the 12 jurors and 12 alternates reportedly have ties to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, including a man who was a student there at the time. The man, known only as Juror No. 737, fled the building safely, but was childhood friends with the gunmen and went to prom with a victim.

The niece of Juror No. 535 is also a Columbine survivor, according to Fox 31 in Denver. The woman's niece escaped physical injury, but was in the cafeteria that the killers tried to bomb.

Both jurors were handpicked from a pool of thousands to decide if Holmes is guilty in the Colorado movie theater rampage that left 12 people dead and 70 others wounded in 2012.

The three-month selection process involved summonsing 9,000 candidates, the largest jury summons in U.S. history.

[Reminder: The trial was scheduled to start on April 20th. One of the jurors is getting married the prior weekend. Opening arguments are set for April 27th.]

...more at link
http://news.yahoo.com/details-emerge-about-jury-picked-for-colorado-theater-shooting-trial-192409225.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:05 pm 

At least two of the 12 jurors and 12 alternates reportedly have ties to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, including a man who was a student there at the time. The man, known only as Juror No. 737, fled the building safely, but was childhood friends with the gunmen and went to prom with a victim

First thing I think of when I read this is that the prosecutor is not up to par, childhood friends with the gunmen, the juror is likely of normal human emotion and compassion and like many folks wonders what went wrong with his childhood friend, IMO he is going to try and learn something about why Columbine happened, rather than just be able to independently weigh the evidence in this case. I would have had him removed for cause if I was the prosecutor and if the judge said there was no cause I'd take the him out with a peremptory challenge.

Not a striking beginning for the prosecutor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:19 pm 

Molly wrote:

Among the 93 potential jurors still remaining after Monday’s session was a husband-and-wife duo, the first such duo Samour said he has ever seen in a jury pool. Samour indicated the court would only keep one of them, and when pressed by the judge, the wife indicated it would be easiest on their family if her husband was retained.

The woman added “sorry honey,” before making that statement.

:Gslap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:10 pm 

I know, right Carm? :D

I can't get over the fact that out of 9K potential jurors, they have one who is getting married this weekend. I can't imagine planning a wedding knowing you will be sitting on this jury until Labor Day. :eek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:41 am 

Theater shooting trial Defense Attorney Tamara Brady prepares for case of a lifetime
The Denver Post
By John Ingold | April 26, 2015

CENTENNIAL - Her voice in court usually varies between a delicate warble and a professional hum, but Tamara Brady can be loud when she wants to be.

Two Aprils ago, Brady, one of five defense attorneys in the Aurora movie theater shooting case, rose to address the judge. The district attorney had just announced he was seeking the death penalty in the case.

The judge wanted to know how long the defense needed to prepare for trial.

Eight months? Longer, Brady said.

Fourteen months? We need more time, Brady insisted.

Victims of the shooting sitting in the audience sighed. The judge looked puzzled. A prosecutor grumbled.

And Brady's voice grew suddenly fierce.

"They are trying to execute our client," she responded, hammering each word. "We will do whatever we can to save his life."

What drives someone to defend the accused?

...more at link (good interview with John Ingold in video)
http://www.denverpost.com/theater-shooting-trial/ci_27990276/defense-tamara-brady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:39 am 

Trial begins Monday for James Holmes in Colorado movie theater massacre

FOXNEWS
AP - April 26, 2015

CENTENNIAL, Colo. – James Holmes was growing volatile well before he put on a gas mask and body armor, strapped on a rifle, shotgun, pistol and ammunition, and slipped into a midnight premiere of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

He was a sought-after neuroscientist-in-training, but he was falling apart. He told a classmate he wanted to kill people, prosecutors say. He fell out of favor with his professors, who suggested he find a new career. He stopped seeing his psychiatrist, then sent her text messages so threatening that she alerted University of Colorado campus police. He even mailed her his journal, in a package with burned $20 bills.

Months before Holmes opened fire on the audience on July 20, 2012, killing 12 and injuring 70 more in one of America's deadliest mass shootings, the 24-year-old doctoral student was preparing for violence.

He stockpiled weapons, ammunition, tear gas grenades and riot gear, and rigged his apartment to become a potentially lethal booby trap, cranking techno music in an apparent attempt to lure someone into opening his door. One neighbor who came to complain narrowly avoided a fiery explosion by walking away.

...more at link (video)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/26/colorado-movie-theater-shooting-suspect-studied-brain-disorders/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next