It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
ADMIN

Nasty 'crazy' ants even drive out fire ants in Southeast

By Douglas Main LiveScience

Invasive fire ants have been a thorn in the sides of Southerners for years. But another invasive species, the so-called "crazy" ant — that many describe as being worse — has arrived and is displacing fire ants in several places.

"When you talk to folks who live in the invaded areas, they tell you they want their fire ants back," said Edward LeBrun, a researcher at the University of Texas at Austin, in a statement from the school. "Fire ants are in many ways very polite. They live in your yard. They form mounds and stay there, and they only interact with you if you step on their mound."

Crazy ants, on the other hand, "go everywhere," invading homes and nesting in walls and crawlspaces, even damaging electrical equipment by swarming inside appliances.

A study published in the April issue of the journal Biological Invasions found that in areas infested with crazy ants, few to no fire ants were present. Exactly how they are able to outcompete fire ants is so far unknown. In areas with crazy ants, the researchers also found greatly diminished numbers of native ant species, according to the study.

...more at link
http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/0 ... heast?lite

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm 
ADMIN

When I saw headlines "Crazy Ants" I imagined Cindy and George :lol

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

These ants may be even more annoying than those Ants!

That article is right. Fire ants are bad if, and only if, you accidentally stand on a mound. Their stings burn like the Dickens! Years ago my collie stopped to poop next to one (at night when I couldn't see them) and got attacked by dozens...I had to hose him off to get them out of his fur. I'd still rather have fire ants in the yard then these darn crazy ants in the house. Until I found a powerful insect spray that lasts 9 months, I couldn't get rid of the darn things for long. They seem to congregate near water...around the sink, pet water bowls, bathtubs, etc.