It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:54 am 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -hormones/

Descendants of Holocaust Survivors Have Altered Stress Hormones

Parents' traumatic experience may hamper their offspring's ability to bounce back from trauma
Feb 12, 2015 |By Tori Rodriguez

A person's experience as a child or teenager can have a profound impact on their future children's lives, new work is showing. Rachel Yehuda, a researcher in the growing field of epigenetics and the intergenerational effects of trauma, and her colleagues have long studied mass trauma survivors and their offspring. Their latest results reveal that descendants of people who survived the Holocaust have different stress hormone profiles than their peers, perhaps predisposing them to anxiety disorders.

More at link with picture

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 pm 

That is very interesting Packy, we already know that trauma can change the chemistry and pathways of the brain so why couldn't it change the cells produced in the reproductive system thereby changing the genetic makeup of any children produced?

The natural order of being is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:34 pm 

Yes amazing.

Psychological development does seem to have a greater effect then maybe previously thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:08 pm 

I'll drink to that :63 .

I posted this before but during brain mapping a schizophrenic's brain lights up in the same area that a normal brain lights up, when a schizophrenic is having auditory delusions. That of course is part of the reason why it is nearly impossible to convince them that the voices they are hearing are within their own head because their brain is telling them the voices are coming from someone else. I think this is just so fascinating. I can't imagine the horror of not being ale to trust your own brain, or thoughts, no wonder the mentally ill fight the diagnosis tooth and nail.