It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm 

Sheriff Arpaio is one tough dude! :34

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Attorney-S ... l-process-

Attorney: Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s lunch and sleep policies interfering with judicial proces

PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is known for his unconventional jail policies, which have raised complaints from inmates in the past.

"If they don’t like it, I would highly recommend not coming to jail,” said Sheriff Arpaio. :13 ..... :HSG

Now it is not the inmates complaining, but attorney Jason Gronski of the Maricopa County Public Defender’s office.

“We’ve come to find out clients are not eating, are sleep deprived, and aren’t able to assist us at trial, assist council. That’s become a major problem,” said Gronski.

Sheriff Arpaio confirmed that on trial days, inmates in Maricopa County jails are awoken between 3 and 4 in the morning for trials that begin at 10:30 AM. They are given a breakfast when they wake up, then nothing until 6 in the evening when dinner is served at the jail.

Gronski argues that skipping lunch and waking early on trial days is interfering with the judicial process.

“My clients are not getting fair trials,” he said. “What they are doing is giving the state a tactical advantage during trial.”

After one client complained of hunger during a trial, Gronski drafted a motion asking the judge to force the Sheriff to provide lunch.

“My client was basically spaced out. He didn’t understand what was going on. He was very lost. He couldn’t focus,” Gronski said.

The judge agreed that the client needed food, but that he had no power to force the Sheriff to provide it.

“The judge made a ruling, granted our motion for lunch and was informed by the Sheriff’s Department they would not be doing that and unfortunately the judge said there is nothing I can do,” Gronski said.

According to Gronski, legally no one other than the Sheriff or his deputies can provide food for an inmate during the trial.

“If I hand them something to eat, it’s a class 2 felony,” he said

The self-proclaimed “toughest Sheriff in America” defended both his meal and his sleep policies.

“If they didn’t get their full amount of sleep and they’re not happy, they can always catch a nap in the holding cell,” said Arpaio when asked about waking up inmates 6 to 7 hours before the start of trial.

When asked about skipping lunch, Arpaio responded, “I don’t know why they are complaining. They’re still getting 2600 calories a day.”

Arpaio contends that the meals provided to inmates meet the nutritional guidelines mandated by the state.

Phoenix psychiatrist Dr. Michael Yasinski, who has significant court room experience, said one or two days of skipping lunch or skimping on sleep might not have a big impact, but over time could be devastating.

“We use that as a form of torture,” he said. “It’s to get people feeling extremely uncomfortable, willing to say and do things they wouldn’t do normally.”

Dr. Yasinski believes that the Sheriff’s lunch and sleep policies could have a direct impact on a trial.
“Over the course of days and weeks your brain can start to be poorly nourished. The memory, the cognition, the behavior all can change pretty drastically and can contribute to someone's performance in a courtroom as a defendant in terms of how they answer questions, their logical thinking can be impaired,” he said. “Jurors can perceive some of their agitated behavior as nervous or uncomfortable.”

Gronski said he plans to continue fighting the policies in Arizona’s court system.

“Under the laws and the constitution, you can’t go ahead and punish a person while they’re in custody and our argument is that this is basically what Sheriff Joe is doing,” Gronski said.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 pm 

This is WORTH a read about Sheriff Joe Arpaio! Wish he was here in MY state! :NN6

http://sactodan.com/post/866098489

(excerpt)

He cut off coffee since it has zero nutritional value...... When the inmates complained, he told them, “This isn’t The Ritz/Carlton; If you don’t like it, don’t come back.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 pm 

I don't think it's right that he's withholding sleep and food to those awaiting trial. Sounds like his behavior could cause a mistrial or grounds for an appeal.

edit Mal
I added "to those awaiting trial".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
I don't think it's right that he's withholding sleep and food. Sounds like his behavior could cause a mistrial or grounds for an appeal.

There are articles saying he has been sued at least 4 times by the ACLU and Arpaio has won every single time. Apparently, there was an insulin dependent diabetic who went without insulin for 4 days and died - and when taken to court, Arpaio prevailed.

I do believe that anything inside the courtroom should be at a judge's discretion. But according to the article I posted upthread, attorney Gronski says,“If I hand them something to eat, it’s a class 2 felony.” That, to me, is wrong.

The people of Arizona love Arpaio - 83% vote for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm 

I do like that he treats inmates CONVICTED of crimes like criminals, but every American is supposed to have the right to a fair trial and are innocent until proven guilty. Some of the people he is withholding the food and sleep from may be innocent. IMO, he shouldn't have the power to interfere with the process and give the state an unfair advantage.

Now...what he does with those convicted is another story. It is a prison.