It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 am 
ADMIN

Sydney man hides $15k in oven, wife cooks it
15:30 AEST Thu Jul 26 2012
By Martin Zavan, ninemsn

A Sydney man who hid $15,000 in cash in his oven was left with a colourful melted mess after his wife turned it on.

The Merrylands father-of-two, who did not want to be identified out of embarrassment, sold his beloved Toyota Supra sports car for $15,000 on Saturday afternoon and stashed the wads of notes in his kitchen oven.
He said he believed the cash would be safe in the oven because his wife never used it.
It was a decision he regretted yesterday after his wife struggled to tell him the money had literally gone up in smoke.
She had turned on the oven to pre-heat some chicken nuggets for their two girls and inadvertently cooked the cash.

After discovering his cash had been burnt he immediately set off to his bank in an attempt to deposit the money but the teller at Merrylands' Westpac branch refused to accept the cash.
"I was quite insulted. I asked her to send it to the RBA, I told her 'please it's all I got' but she didn't want to," he said.
After being contacted by ninemsn today, a spokesman for Westpac Merrylands offered an apology and said "we will do whatever we can do within the guidelines" to help him.
The Reserve Bank of Australia has a clear policy on damaged and incomplete banknotes and advises people to take their damaged notes to banks.
"If several pieces of the same banknote are presented, the Reserve Bank's policy is for each piece to be worth a share of the value in proportion to its size," the RBA policy reads.
"The combined value paid should be the face value of the original banknote."
If less than 20 percent of the note is missing full face value is paid but if between 20-80 percent of the note is missing value is paid in proportion with the percentage remaining.
If more than 80 percent of the banknote is missing no payment is made.

(Source: Westpac, Reserve Bank of Australia)

....more at link
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/850 ... e-cooks-it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 am 

:11

That's great that they'll replace the money, or at least a portion of it. I just assumed it that once it was damaged, it wasn't worth anything.

:41 I guess he's learnt that just because she doesn't "cook", it doesn't mean she doesn't use the oven!