It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm 
ADMIN

Body of woman, 56, who collapsed and died in her home is gnawed and eaten by her own CATS on her kitchen floor

• Body of Janet Veal found at her isolated home in Ringwood, Hampshire
  • Neighbours raised the alarm after she had not been seen for some time
  • Home contained a number of dead animals but others had survived
  • Parts of Mrs Veal's body had been eaten away by her own animals

By Steve Robson
PUBLISHED: 11:18 GMT, 13 August 2013 | UPDATED: 14:33 GMT, 13 August 2013

Isolated: Mrs Veal's body was found at her home at the end of a farm track off Crow Arch Lane in Ringwood, Hampshire

The body of an animal lover was gnawed and eaten by her own cats after she died at home alone, a court heard.

The decomposing corpse of Janet Veal, 56, was discovered on the kitchen floor of her isolated house in Ringwood, Hampshire, on April 4.

Neighbours had raised the alarm having not seen her for some time and noticing that her letterbox was overflowing, Southampton Coroner's Court was told.

Inside they found 'a distressing scene'. There were a number of dead animals - including a cat and a dog - in the kitchen and living room, but others had survived.

It is believed the hungry animals had begun to eat their owner after being left without food for months.

PC Dave Ivey said the house had clearly not been aired for numerous weeks and he could not see the floor for all the rubbish.

The court heard that Mrs Veal was something of a recluse and had become estranged from her husband.

Recording a death from natural causes, coroner Keith Wiseman said: 'These animals had been, the officer thought, confined in these two rooms downstairs for what may well have been a period of many weeks, stretching quite possibly into several months.'

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -died.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:28 am 

Which only proves people who are older and live alone should wear one of those emergency alarm things around their necks. (John Walsh advertises one - I trust him.) You have a few seconds of consciousness no matter what happens to you, I think - enough time to push it. Had she had one, probably none of that would have happened. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:07 am 

I am 67 and recently tripped on a bed frame in my garage. I was knocked unconscious and almost bled to death, losing almost 40 percent of my blood, before I was taken by ambulance to a hospital. My Springer Spaniel may have saved my life because he continued to lick the blood from the most serious wound until it stopped. I have slipped and fallen several times in my shower so I am now considering something like the Life Line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:09 pm 

Regardless of age, I think everyone should have a life alert if they live alone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:09 pm 

I have been shopping off and on but cannot find any great deals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 pm 

If you can't afford monitoring, maybe just get something really, really loud, so as to alert a neighbor? I'm with DebFrmHell - many should have them, if not most.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 pm 

I am looking ...... Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:56 am 

liesel wrote:
If you can't afford monitoring, maybe just get something really, really loud, so as to alert a neighbor? I'm with DebFrmHell - many should have them, if not most.

Back in the 70's, we (us girls in the apt complex) bought those air horns that you use to referee.

We all lived within a door or two of each other and we exchanged keys with each other too. One blast and we were there. Did practice runs for security. I may go buy a couple of those...

:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 pm 

Air horns are a great idea. I have several on hand that I carried on my boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am 

How sad about Mrs. Veal.

I do carry my cell in my pocket everywhere I go just in case.