It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:00 am 
ADMIN

Testicle-chomping fish found in Sweden
ninemsn staff
7:13am August 12, 2013

A piranha-like fish known for biting off men's testicles has been caught in European waters for the first time, showing up off the southern coast of Sweden and prompting safety warnings to male swimmers.

A 21cm "pacu", which is normally found in the rivers of Brazil's Amazon forest, was caught last week by a fisherman in the Oresund Sound, a strait that separates the Danish island Zealand from Sweden's southern province Scania, The Telegraph reports.

"Keep your swimwear on if you're bathing in the Sound these days — maybe there are more out there," Denmark's National History Museum said in a statement.

The pacu, a relative of the piranha, can grow up to 90cm and weigh up to 25kg.

It is nicknamed the "ball cutter" for its attacks on the male genitalia.

In areas where they proliferate, fishermen have reportedly bled to death after losing their testicles to the fish's jaws, which are flatter and stronger that those of piranhas and ideal for crushing.

They have appeared in the PNG and several US states but never in Europe until now.

Henrik Carl, a fish expert at the Danish museum, told a local news outlet: "They bite because they're hungry, and testicles sit nicely in their mouth.

"And its mouth is not so big, so of course it normally eats nuts, fruit, and small fish, but human testicles are just a natural target.

"It's not normal to get your testicles bitten off, of course, but it can happen, especially now in Sweden."

The pacu caught last week is undergoing DNA tests to confirm its identity.

...more at link
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/0 ... -in-sweden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:19 pm 

"It's mouth is not so big...." Hahahahaha!
Sounds like a news story out of the National Enquirer!! If its true, I hope my ex goes fishing around those parts!! Sorry Rumphole! I know you are a guy and are cringing with every nut cracking word!! Haha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 pm 
ADMIN

I think the story is real... it was picked up by several MSM.

I take your ex is VERY ex :)

Not a worry for me... my wife would have to sew them back on first. :slap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 pm 
ADMIN

Scandinavian men can return to the water: testicle-eating fish is a myth
By Harriet Alexander
7:12PM BST 13 Aug 2013

Scandinavian men have been told that it's now safe to go back in the water – because claims that a testicle-munching fish have invaded are probably untrue.

Reports of the preferred snack of the pacu – a sharp-toothed cousin of the piranha – caused panic among swimmers.

A Danish fisherman caught the pacu in his nets while fishing in the Oeresund Strait – the channel of water separating Denmark and Sweden. And a Danish fish expert's joke alarmed many men.

"If they bite, they can bite hard ... especially when they bite you where you really don't want to be bitten," said Peter Resk Moeller, of the Natural History Museum of Denmark.

However, Mr Moeller was forced on Tuesday to clarify that he was joking – and that the pacu is unlikely to feast on human flesh.

"All we said last week (with a smile) was that male swimmers should keep their pants on in case there are more pacus out there in our cold Baltic waters," Mr Moeller told National Geographic magazine.

"Its teeth and powerful bite can for sure be dangerous, but to meet one here and [have it bite you] is highly unlikely, of course."

The pacu that was found is the only one that has ever been caught in the wild in Scandinavian waters. It was captured on August 4 by fisherman Einar Lindgreen, who spotted the red-bellied, big-toothed fish among the eels and perch in his net.

The fish look like piranhas, but mainly eat vegetables – using their powerful jaws to crack open nuts that fall into the water in the Amazon. They also eat other fish.

But suggestions that they nibble on humans are wide of the mark, said Lars Skou Olsen, from Copenhagen's Blue Planet aquarium.

"I think it's just a rumour," Mr Olsen said. "There's no need for swimmers to worry at all. They will be lucky if they see a pacu."

... more at link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -myth.html