It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm 
ADMIN

This BRILLIANT comedy actor may not be too well known to US peeps.

But he was a HUGE favourite of mine.. from way back in the 60's he has starred in UK TV sitcom type comedies. In later life he also won accolades for forays into some Shakespearean roles.

Probably best known for his role as "Tom Good" in the "Good life" comedy series... and he was great in that, but I remember him most for his role as "Marin Bryce" in the show "Ever Decreasing Circles" That show I watched several times... there are aspects of Martin in me :24

It is available on Youtube.

I used a very short clip as a lead in to one of my Weekly Polls here........

"The Dice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 pm 
ADMIN

The Good Life actor Richard Briers dies aged 79 after battle with lung disease
Matilda Battersby Author Biography
Monday 18 February 2013

(More photos at link)

Just two weeks after the actor Richard Briers told press he was struggling with lung disease his death has been confirmed by his agent.

The Good Life star was 79 and had been battling emphysema for a number of years.

In an interview with Daily Mail in early February Briers said: "I was diagnosed five years ago and didn't think it would go quite as badly as it has. It's a bugger, but there it is. I used to love smoking."

He added: "It's totally my fault. So, I get very breathless, which is a pain in the backside. Trying to get upstairs... oh God, it's ridiculous. Of course, when you're bloody nearly 80 it's depressing, because you've had it anyway."

Briers said he stopped smoking 10 years ago, but by then it was too late. He said: "If you do it in your 30s, you're OK, but after 30 it gets you.”

The actor was best known for appearing alongside Felicity Kendal in long-running TV sitcom The Good Life. His television credits also include Ever Decreasing Circles, Monarch of the Glen and Marriage Lines.

Both on stage and film Briers was famed for his Shakespearean performances. As a member of Sir Kenneth Branagh’s Renaissance Theatre Company he appeared in the director’s film adaptions of Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet; on stage he played King Lear and Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

His other film credits include Peter Pan, Frankenstein and the recent Danny Dyer vehicle Run For Your Wife.

Briers died "peacefully" at his London home yesterday, his agent Christopher Farrar said today.

....more at link
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 99744.html