It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:48 am 

Seems like a case of Oprah upset at not being recognized as Oprah so … racist! is a piece up at Legal Insurrection describing Oprah asking to see a $38k bag and the clerk advising against it, so, um, racism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

Joni wrote:
O.T.
One Paul Deen case has been thrown out - I think.

I need to catch up on Paula Deen. I love her and her simple form of cooking

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... e/2645967/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

Does this sounds like an apology? Not to me...

Oprah apologizes for bag-gate at 'The Butler' premiere

At the premiere Winfrey was in good spirits, telling the AP that account of her experiencing racism in a store in Switzerland recently was "just an incident," and not an indictment of the country. "I'm really sorry that it got blown up," said Winfrey. "I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place that people wouldn't expect that you would be there."

But she stood by her account. "For me, racism doesn't show up" outside of Facebook or Twitter, the media mogul explained. "For me, it shows up differently...I'm in a store and the person doesn't know that I carry the black (Amex) card, and they so they make an assessment based on upon the way I look...I guess I didn't dress up enough."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... s/2647045/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

uh oh perhaps it wasnt that at all

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

Ugh! Don't get me started on the racism thing. I watched a panel tonight talking about Paula Deen and her apology. The talking head first said Paula never said she was sorry. The host said yes she did. Then the woman said well the apology didn't mean anything. Umm what?

Racism will continue if minorities incessantly demand special privileges, recognition and continue to make mountains out of molehills that don't exist to start with!

TM case did more to further racism than anything else has in a long time!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am 

flgirl543 - I agree it's not much of an apology but, and this to me is the big takeaway, she did say maybe she didn't dress up enough. That's backing off the racism thing at least a bit, and also backs up what a poster here said about that type of store.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 am 

Totally agree, Kakax. You should check out the political snippets thread. There is a lot more there on similar topics. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 pm 

I'm posting this in various threads in hopes more people will see it. Who'd a thunk I'd ever quote Ashton Kutcher, much less email a video of him to all of our children; "Mom says you must listen to this all of the way through and pass it on." And I also emailed it to the younger ones' teachers. I hope you do the same!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:30 pm 

The gist is they have no new info, but there may be info at some future time, if LE determines whatever info they may have is credible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 pm 
ADMIN

Have I got this conspiracy theory straight?

A second papparazzi gunman on the grassy knoll shot out the tyres of Diana's car with a magic bullet?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:59 pm 

Are you in the right thread?

:66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm 

:Gslap Rumpole!

Maybe, but we don't know yet, but we will know, if there's anything to know, at some unknown future time. Well, we'll know if there's anything to know even if we don't get to know what there is to know, at some unknown point in the future, you know? But at least we know that much! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

Post subject: Miley Cyrus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 pm 

VMAs 2013: Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke performance draws negative reactions from fellow celebrities

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z2d5wfuSFn

Miley Cyrus is showing she can get down in the gutter with the best of them. I'm even more disturbed by the photo of Will Smith and his family showing shock. I heard a comment about what good parents the Smiths are. Then why in heaven's name didn't they remove their kids from that obscenity immediately?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 pm 

How repulsive is she? Her entire family must be so embarrassed...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 am 

Bam! Iowahawk offers spot-on takes on Miley Cyrus, twerking, VMAs (Bonus ‘evolution’ pic)

Be sure to read to the bottom where there is a photo representation of the evolution of Miley; and some of the "Related" links are worth a look too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:12 am 

I am so tired of the "over-sexualization" of our children. In another thread freehate, (er I mean freekate) And the mom saying middle school kids were sexting! Yikes! MC started as a disney "girl" and she is trying to change in order to keep up her career, I get that but the girls who follow her are so much younger. If you wanna pay for it great, but I really don't want that on tv screen. I rally for free speech, etc but i dunno something just seems wrong here. Not Bad but just not right, I dunno, I think I need more coffee. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:53 pm 

:Gslap at "freehate" - I'm gonna have to steal borrow that one! :Gslap

I disagree with you slightly in that I think it is "Bad" with a capital B. (Of course, I suspect you're being too nice again. ;) ) And I agree it's certainly not right. Even without coffee, you're spot on.

Miley did this to herself, imo. She's desperate for attention, and, well, she got it, and from what I've read, she thought it was great. She tweeted something like, "smiles. 306,000 tweets per minute during VMA." I didn't watch it, but I'm revolted by what I've heard. I'm sure seeing it was even worse. Of course, some found it "racist" believe it or not.

You and I have both seen this happen many times before, though not usually in such a spectacular fashion. A girl becomes of age and wants everyone to know they're an "adult" now... or they are finally old enough to wear make up so want to do full-on stripper-at-night caked on make-up... or that girl who was on Saved By The Bell who was in a stripper movie after that children's series... etc., etc. Those former child stars seem too often to go way overboard to drop their Disney image, and, like Miley, end up imploding instead of exploding onto the adult stage.

I so agree that especially girl children are "over-sexualized" - have you been clothes shopping for a young girl lately? Wow. It's unbelievable. But we manage to come up with appropriate and cute clothes for our daughters, and with all of their $$ and advisors, so can the celebrities. They just choose not to, for attention, and/or to follow whatever they think is the trend at the moment, whether it's a good one or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 am 

5 Beloved Celebrities Everyone Forgets Did Terrible Things

Via Maetenloch of Ace of Spades HQ who adds: "And let's not forget that Mark Wahlberg blinded a Vietnamese guy for kicks as a teenager."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next