It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 am 

I listened to the Lauer interview, (thanks Molly :69 ) Matt has not aged well, he looked like he was wearing a skin suit :eek

I read Rumpole's :rose link that Feigen and Lochte have been indicted. Has this been confirmed? I've only read that there has been talk of an indictment on other links.

Part of Lochte's interview with that girl Matt Lauer;

"It's how you want to make it look like," Lochte said. "Whether you call it a robbery or whether you call it extortion or us just paying for the damages, we don't know. All we know is that there was a gun pointed in our direction and we were demanded to give money.”

"I definitely had too much to drink that night and I was very intoxicated," he said.

"Brazil doesn't deserve that," he said to Globo. "I am sorry that my immaturity caused all this ruckus."

Lochte is not a smart guy, probably below average IQ. He did a short stint with a reality show and though I never watched it I saw clips and the guy is just not too bright.

I'm not defending Lochte. He was not robbed. He lied. He acted like an entitled rich buffoon filled with too much booze, arrogance, testosterone and far too little common sense.

But. Lochte has a publicist working specifically on re-branding him because of this incident.

More importantly he has very very good attorneys guiding him through his “acting immaturely” debacle.

Other than a good publicists and attorneys, Lochte has several things going for him 1) he was intoxicated and he claimed he was still intoxicated during the first interview 2) I don’t think he ever admitted that he lied he said repeatedly “I over exaggerated.” 3) Brazil would rather have money than put a US swimmer on trial 4) The US will not forcibly extradite Lochte to Brazil for such a minor offense.

Also Lochte dumbness works in his favor. And so does the law to some extent. Even in Brazil I doubt that there is a law on the books that allows a security guard to demand money from a vandal at the threat of the business end of a gun. The most that the security guard objectively could have done was hold Lochte & Feigen until the police arrived. So legally Lochte has a defense against not knowing what to call the confrontation with the security guard. It was obviously not a robbery but legally it may withstand the scrutiny of extortion.

My guess Lochte pays a huge fine, and makes a well scripted mea cupola and Brazil is satisfied.

Lochte is 32, and the second most decorated swimmer ever to swim. Technically at 36 Lochet could still be a force at the Tokyo Olympics so the Olympic Committee (or swimming committee I really have no idea who decides Lochte’s fate as to his future as an Olympian) decides whether or not Lochte is of more value to them as a disgraced former Olympian taught his lesson by being banned from the swim team or if he is of more value to them as a redemption story swimming in the 2016 Olympics.

All that said, Lochte's behavior, during the incident and after the incident is an embarrassment to the USA. His stupidity IMO is what made it a an international embarrassment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:17 am 

Just in case some folks think I'm a goof for thinking that Ryan Lochte might not of had a clue as to what really happened at the Rio gas station, I submit the below videos.

But I am not offend by anyone thinking I'm a goof :98

The boy can swim, but drawing rational logical conclusions from his surroundings doesn't seem to be his strong point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:44 pm 

Well, I heard on radio that Speedo and Ralph Lauren dropped Lochte. What a mess this guy has made for himself!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm 

Carmelita wrote:
Just in case some folks think I'm a goof for thinking that Ryan Lochte might not of had a clue as to what really happened at the Rio gas station, I submit the below videos.

But I am not offend by anyone thinking I'm a goof :98
You, a goof? Nah! :Gslap

I agree with you, he was extremely intoxicated and his lie dominoed. Not an excuse, just opinion. He will have to live with his bad choices, as Showpoodles points out, the sponsors are dropping like flies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:52 pm 
ADMIN

I was down on Lochte from the outset... but I think he has "suffered" MORE than enough!!!

Being young and drunk and doing stupid stuff is something I can "relate to" :cool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 pm 
ADMIN

Ryan Lochte to be summoned to testify in Brazil over robbery claim
Published August 25, 2016 FoxNews.com

Ryan Lochte will be summoned to give testimony in front of Brazil's Justice Department in Rio de Janeiro over his claim he and other U.S. Olympic swimmers were robbed at gunpoint, a police official told Fox News on Thursday.

Lochte has since apologized for embellishing his version of events. He cannot testify in the U.S. and would have to appear in person in court in Brazil or be tried in absentia.

There is no penalty for him not appearing in front of the Justice Department, but if he doesn't appear he won't be able to engage in a plea deal, Detective Clemente Braune said. Lochte returned to the U.S. last week.

...more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/08/25 ... rmish.html