It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:34 pm 
ADMIN

Where Is Pope Francis Right Now? Stay Up To Date With Our Official Pope Tracker
He's got a busy week ahead of him.
Carol Kuruvilla, Associate Religion Editor
Posted: 09/22/2015 01:38 PM EDT | Edited: 3 hours ago

Pope Francis has arrived in the United States and faces a jam-packed itinerary for his upcoming trip to Washington, D.C., New York City, and Philadelphia. In just six days, he’ll canonize a saint, lead large scale public Masses, and speak to both Congress and the United Nations.

In between, he is making time to meet one-on-one with those on the margins -- immigrants, prisoners, and the volunteers who have worked for months to help organize the trip.

Check out The Huffington Post’s official Pope Tracker to stay up-to-date on the whereabouts of this fast-moving pope over the next few days.

...more at link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/whe ... 20d91a478e

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:08 pm 

This is what surprised me!

Pope shuns limo, rides in tiny Fiat

The Kansas City Star| By Vera Bergengruen | September 22, 2015

Pope Francis waves from a Fiat 500 as his motorcade departs from Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015. Andrew Harnik AP

WASHINGTON - The pope’s ride was not what people were expecting.

As the pontiff’s plane touched down at Joint Base Andrews, he was greeted by a red carpet, cheering fans, a band and a welcoming committee including President Barack Obama and the First Family.

So it seemed a little anti-climactic when the famously humble leader of the world’s 1.2 billion Roman Catholics climbed not into a limousine but into a modest dark grey Fiat 500L for his drive to the Vatican Embassy in Washington. The small car was dwarfed by the bulky SUVs of the president’s motorcade.

As the pontiff rode off in his humble ride, waving at the crowd through the open window, Twitter exploded with praise for the ‘people’s pope,’ calling the choice of car everything from “adorable” to “sending an environmental message.”
[...]
In stark contrast, when Saudi Arabia’s King Salman landed at Andrews earlier this month he came with four airplanes, was greeted by dozens of cars and rented every single room at the Four Seasons in Washington.

More at link: http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article36226770.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:40 pm 

Pope Francis' U.S. arrival: 19 photos that will make you feel like you were there

Politico | By Diana D'Abruzzo | Sept. 22, 2015, 6:51PM EDT

U.S. and Vatican flags are seen on the plane carrying Pope Francis. AFP/Getty

More at link: http://www.politico.com/gallery/2015/09/pope-francis-us-arrival-photo-gallery-002112?slide=1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:37 pm 

The Pope's flight to NYC :)

http://www.flightradar24.com/AAL9420/7848b8b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:40 pm 
ADMIN

THX Molly.... Da Pope has landed now :)

I went to visit his place... it's a bit crowded there.. but he has some nice statues and paintings and stuff :cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:15 pm 

Lol about statues and paintings. His place as in DC or Vatican? In DC they likely have a lot of numbered reproductions that still aren't cheap. NYC went to reproductions in the 70's and Orlando went in late 90's to thwart art thieves. The really cool stuff is hiding in small retreat centers with museum quality security systems backed by obsessed people who have ruined many a piece of work with over care :lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:20 pm 
ADMIN

Vatican

On my list of "things to see/do" in Rome when I visited.

Of course the "Cat Sanctuary" .. cats living amongst the ruins of ancient Rome was top of my list :cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:59 pm 

Pope Francis at 9/11 Memorial

Pope Francis at Ground Zero (Image by Susan Watts of EPA)

Pope Francis speaking at United Nations

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 pm 

My friend flew to NY because her son is the organist (Michael Hey) at St. Patricks. He is phenomenal, he received a full scholarship to Juilliard including room and board. If I remember right he received the only full scholarship available to a freshman. Sweet guy I can't believe he is all grown up. He used to play for hours at St. William's church here just for the joy of playing. They bought a new organ maybe 6 years ago and he was literally there everyday. (I heard he drove the secretary a little nuts but don't tell anyone :roll )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:58 pm 

Michael Hey is phenomenal and that's very cool he got mom a seat in the Pope's Mass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:12 pm 

He injured his foot a couple of years ago, before he was at St. Patricks and he thought he might have to give up his career :( Thankfully it all worked out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 pm 

Thanks for sharing the vid (and story), Carm :)

Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:12 pm 

You're welcome Molly, his mom Chris is a good friend, I know she is over the moon. Juilliard was intense even for a prodigy. She gave me a CD of Michaels a while back, but I don't know what I did with it :roll .

Funny thing is even though Michael knows that he is gifted he really doesn't appreciate how good he is. He was nervous about Juilliard, nervous about getting the job at St. Patricks and when he got the call back (I think they narrowed it down to 2 ) he was still nervous but we all knew he would be the only choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:00 am 

I wonder if the ability to have that humility is one of the things that gets people into Juliard. My uncle went and has recommended several people who got in....everyone of them says in one way or another that they have met people with ten times the talent. The owner of WagonWheel when I worked there went for singing, guy sang while cooking which were amazing till....he let loose after closing and Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:43 am 

Well admittedly I am not a fan of organ music but people who are tell me Michael is the best they have ever heard so I don't think humility has anything to do with his getting in to Juilliard . I think it comes down to the the difference between self-esteem and self confidence. Studies have shown people with high self-esteem tend to do worse than they think they will do and evaluate themselves better than objective observers rate them. People with self confidence on the other hand hold themselves to extremely high standards which they may not meet in their own minds but they generally exceed what other people are expecting of them.

So when I say Michael doesn't appreciate how good he is, it is not because he is humble about how talented he is it is because he holds himself to an inscrutable level when it comes to playing the organ. Michael is well aware of the magic at his finger tips.

One thing I can tell you is that Juilliard is not full of humble folks. They are overachievers, prodigies, top of the field talented people, first chair folks competing against other first chair folks, but from the stories I heard they are not humble. Like anyplace else I'm sure money opens the door for some of the less talented.

One example; First year Freshman must live in the dorms, some of them have their parents pay for service people come in and clean their dorm rooms, do their laundry, food and personal hygiene shopping because they do not have time for the "mundane".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:11 am 

Lol my dads siblings all chipped in and uncle Jerry has never done the ordinary...they all march to their own beat. Hearing Ralph sing or Gerry play with fellow alums you know when they hit the note they're looking for.

Michael doesn't just 'play' the organ like a monkey grinder he sends notes out to farthest corners that resonate and linger like a well blended perfume.