It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 am 
ADMIN

This story caught my eye... because Stilton has long been my favourite "exotic" cheese.

Day to day (every day) I eat "Tasty" NZ cheddar... but I do buy small pieces of other cheese as a treat.... Stilton being my fave. It is an import, and expensive, and my wife works for the Worlds largest exporter of Dairy Products.. so we do tend to eat NZ versions of blue vein cheese... especially since she gets staff discount from time to time. :)
Genuine Stilton is a rare treat.

Stilton's boost in cheese war: Village aims to win back right to make famous blue that bears its name

By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 23:46 GMT, 24 April 2013 | UPDATED: 23:46 GMT, 24 April 2013

A great British cheese is under threat -- because young people are afraid to eat the mould, according to a new report yesterday.

Sales of Blue Stilton have plummeted among younger age groups, and most people who buy the traditional delicacy are approaching middle age, the latest research shows.

Industry experts say that the number of people under 45 buying Blue Stilton has dropped by 18 per cent in the last two years alone.

Consumption by those under 30 has slumped by 23 per cent and few people under 25 would consider buying it regularly.

But cheese experts are warning that if the trend continues it could mean that Blue Stilton, which has been in production in the UK for almost 300 years, would only be available overseas.

Now The Co-op has decided to step in to lend British Stilton producers a helping hand.

It has issued an emergency SOS - Save Our Stilton - to shoppers to protect Blue Stilton’s unique flavours and taste.

Said Co-operative cheese buyer Mark Cloudy: “ This cheese is part of Britain’s heritage. We can’t stand by and let it fade away - yet the people who like it are getting old.

'Millions of young people have been taught not to eat food with mould on it, and that view is having a catastrophic effect upon Blue Stilton. They take one look at the blue veins running through the cheese and then turn away.

'We want to tell everyone just how good Blue Stilton is. It is one of the best cheeses in the world, and it’s produced here in Britain - but yet few people realise what a gem they have on their own doorstep.'

Ironically, while Blue Stilton is declining in popularity in Britain, overseas buyers can’t get enough of it. The cheese is regarded as a supreme delicacy in Europe and across America, with buyers prepared to pay up to £30 a kilo - over three times the UK price.

....more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -name.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am 
ADMIN

I will be doing my bit to help with flagging sales... Stilton is on the shopping list for this Saturday

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm 

I love cheese, but I don't think I've ever tried Stilton. I'll look for it next time I go shopping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 pm 
ADMIN

It is a "Blue Vein" cheese.... so you need to like that type of cheese. It is not as smelly as some.... Stilton was a good cheese as an intro to blue cheese.

It does have to be made in "Stilton" or nearby

from Wikepedia
Quote:
For cheese to use the name "Stilton", it must be made in one of the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire, and must use pasteurised local milk. The manufacturers of Stilton cheese in these counties applied for and received Protected Geographical Status (PDO) in 1996.

IF you can find it...... NZ cheese "Kapiti Awa Blue " is similar in taste (not quite as good)
http://www.fonterrafoodservices.co.nz/c ... uct&id=116

Wife works for NZ company Fonterra... I have tried most of their cheese type... the "Awa Blue" is a fave.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm 

Speaking of English cheeses, Wensleydale containing cranberries is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 pm 
ADMIN

Speaking of Wensleydale.....

What was I thinking!! :eek

How can you have a Cheese thread without THE CHEESE SHOP sketch from Monty Python

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm 

:Gslap

Mr. Wensleydale really needs to stock cheese in his cheese shop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 am 

I've never tried Stilton and I love almost all cheese. I eat cheese everyday.

Probably wouldn't find it down here in the boonies but when I lived near Chicago I bet it was available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 am 
ADMIN

Not everybody likes "Blue" cheese... but as I said.... Stilton is a good place to start.

It is exported and known world wide... you might find it packy.