It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

Just reading here ... wonderful memories.
My Gram used to have a gooseberry bush in her yard. We had a cement driveway behind our
row house ... no yard.
Anyhow, I used to LOVE to play in my Gram's yard. Used to lay on the grass, and discovered that CLOUDS MOVED!!!! WOW!
She had a gooseberry bush ... used to pick them and eat them!! FUN!

Thanks For The Memories :DN4

Post subject: Re: Random Food Stuff
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 am 

Has anyone watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? Great info!

Edit Mal:
Added YouTube

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:40 am 

just us HI. Was ready to shut down here. This looks great and I am going to look at it tomorrow.
I see they talk about "juicing".

I have a Vitamix. It can use everything - if you want. I wonder if that is better? OR would it be better
just having juice and no pulp whatsoever?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:25 am 

Hi Joni, the key is your intake of vegetables and fruits. Watch the show, it's really is educational.
I have a juicer that is a bit of work assembling and cleaning. It separates the juice with no heat and leaves the remainder in an additional compartment which I use to compost.
I juice for 1 day a week and the rest I eat normally. I may increase to every 3rd day...I have lost 17lbs and 3 pants sizes in 9 months but most importantly, I feel great. :17

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:30 pm 

just us (justice?) :28

Thanks for that. I will watch. So you juice one full day week now? A kind of cleansing?
I have hypoglycemia pretty bad ... better try to find out if that is ok for me.

Thanks for putting us onto this. :84 Maybe I can adapt this if I have to ... like half a day or something. Or maybe 2 mornings a week? Will look into it. DARN this hypoglycemia! Had it for 35 years. So far - - no diabetes. WHEW!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 am 

Dare I watch it because . . .

Thanks for sharing, Just Us.

I do drink green tea and addicted to tomato juices but otherwise I eat unhealthy so I may watch this when I get the nerve.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:07 pm 

Packy ... friends in Canada put me onto Mott's Garden Blend. I like that Veg juice better than V8. Sometimes I am not into that soooooo tomatoey V8. Mott's seems to me to be more vegetable juices ... somehow. Thought it does have a tomato base. Little pepper kick too. I do LIKE Mott's. You might have a hard time finding it. Write to Motts.com and ask where in your area they carry it. I have to drive a little bit, so I order a case of 9 I think. Easier on me.

Pack being sick interfers with my LIFE! lol Do try it.

THANKS for this info - JUST US!!

Just The Two (3) Of Us :DN4

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:46 am 

Joni wrote:
just us (justice?) :28

Thanks for that. I will watch. So you juice one full day week now? A kind of cleansing?
I have hypoglycemia pretty bad ... better try to find out if that is ok for me.

Thanks for putting us onto this. :84 Maybe I can adapt this if I have to ... like half a day or something. Or maybe 2 mornings a week? Will look into it. DARN this hypoglycemia! Had it for 35 years. So far - - no diabetes. WHEW!

yes (justice)
sorry to hear of your hypoglycemia :(
One full day, it's not as hard as it sounds really...
To start out, Joni, maybe you could just add a 'green juice' with breakfast...kale, cucumber, celery and apples.
Have fun with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am 

packy wrote:
Dare I watch it because . . .

Thanks for sharing, Just Us.

I do drink green tea and addicted to tomato juices but otherwise I eat unhealthy so I may watch this when I get the nerve.

Hi, Packy,
It's not a scary movie....it's just good advice. Simple stuff I wasn't aware of and thought it was a great idea to try. Have fun with it if you try the drinks...don't make it a chore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 am 

Just learned how to make a beautiful "tight" poached egg!
Put some vinegar in the water, AND swirl around the outer edges getting a good circle going with the water. I use a wooden spoon.
In the center of the VORTEX, slide in the egg from a shallow dish, to be poached.
YOU will look like a real Pro!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 am 

I have a Vitamix. Would it be good to make a juice and keep all the pulp as a Vitamix does? There are no strings of celery left. Everything is gone!! All liquefied.
Loved Mott's Garden Blend when in a hurry. MUCH better than V8. Can't find it now. It's BIG in CANADA I hear. IF they try it around here, doesn't fly, so they stop carrying it. I don't understand.

I always put some fresh lemon juice into V8 or Mott's Garden Blend too. Always feel better when I drink it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:34 am 
ADMIN

I KNOW that trick Joni... ( I much prefer salt in water to vinegar)...... BUT....

A LOT of messing about.. and can only do a SINGLE egg successfully.... I am usually cooking 4 eggs (two each)... and I quite like the spread out version for a simple poached eggs on toast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 am 

Reading your post reminds me of an earlier time ... My Fiance' and I used to go to this French Restaurant and get their poached eggs (tight package), on toast for Brunch, with Great MORNEY SAUCE on top. Oh... so delicious!
We should all have it, at least once.

Eyes at half mast, and I think mind too. lol

'nite xxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:46 am 
ADMIN

Yes a "Tight" poached egg can be desirable for presentation.... I think most people (and restaurants) "cheat" by using an egg poacher ( I am sure I have one at the back of a cupboard.. but I never use it).. little cups immersed in water to place the eggs in... IMO they do not taste the same :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm 
ADMIN

I mentioned in my description of my recent vacation.... a favourite food in Singapore is Roti Prata (pratha).

For years I have enjoyed this breakfast dish when visiting Singapore... plain or egg pratha served with a bowl of curry sauce for dipping. It is a simple bread dough... flour and water... with some oil or gee. The secret is to kneed and rest the dough until very elastic and then stretch it very thin and fold to give a flakey "pancake" when fried.

This is how Roti Prata is made in Singapore

It is often eaten plain... but also there is an egg version where an egg is cracked and spread by hand over the large sheet before folding. Either way it is delicious as a breakfast dish. As shown in my photo from my recent trip.

Anyway.... Tonight I will attempt to make Roti Pratha for dinner :eek

I am cheating... I have found an Indian supply shop which sells pre-formed (but raw) pratha... frozen. Large bag containing several smaller bags with 5 in each.... about right for a meal for two. They are round, whereas the pratha in Singapore are square by the time they are folded. I would like to make them egg pratha... but that would mean stretching each one out again... adding an egg and re-folding.... "stuff that for a game of soldiers".
I will just fry in oil as they come.... Plain Pratha......fry an egg separately.
(I have sampled one and it DOES taste authentic.)

Nice curry sauce is CRITICAL.... in fact the Prathas themselves are much of a muchness where ever you go... provided that they are fried fresh to order. What varies is the curry sauce. It can be bland or spicy... often more of a lentil stew.... I like it with strong curry flavour... and at least a bit spicy.... so I have already had a go at making curry sauce.

Onions, garlic, green pepper, seasoning sautéed then curry powder added (a brand I like... they do vary widely). That would be a base I use for many curries... I added carrot to give it some "body" and a little sweetness... simmered a while... and it was a bit limp so I added first tomato paste... then a can of chopped tomatoes... tastes pretty damn good to me. Enough for 4 servings (for two) since its just a sauce on the side. :)

I have frozen 3 aliquots... so if it all works out... I have three quick meals in stock... just take a pot of curry sauce and a pkt of prathas out of the freezer :)

I'll let y'all know how it tastes. :cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 pm 

Sounds delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:39 pm 
ADMIN

It better be :)

You might say "where's the beef".... it is more of a breakfast dish than a dinner... but that fits in with my "diet"... sure some calories in the fried bread... but just two each and one egg as a bit of protein... :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 pm 

No... I'd never say that... being a vegetarian and all! :Gslap

I'd love the recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:47 pm 
ADMIN

I meant Metaphorical "Beef" in your case. :cool

Even as a vegetarian meal there is not a lot of substance.... mainly carbs (bread) not even much vegetable... only a little in the sauce.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 am 
ADMIN

Pleased to announce the meal was brilliant!

Mind you.... my meals always are :cool

It really is more of a breakfast meal than a dinner... but it's ok as a dinner. Today I added half an avocado each... since I had an avocado in stock.... but it would have been OK without it. I even took a picture... since I had posted about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next