It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 pm 

Since this is the "Food Court" section, let it be known for the record, I love taking baking requests and if anyone wants me to post a specific recipe, or, a 'how-to' tutorial for anything, please let me know. I only wish I could bake for all of you in real life so you could sample some treats. (Rumpy, I'd be leaving a pie or cake etc. at your doorstep every day!) :) :) :)

Post subject: Re: Random Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 pm 
ADMIN

I could start any sub forums you want eg Jenzeppelins favourites... or whatever you want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 pm 
ADMIN

Since Jen is a self proclaimed cook/chef/baker......

Here is a thread to ask her advice on recipes and techniques

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:04 am 

jenzeppelin wrote:
Since this is the "Food Court" section, let it be known for the record, I love taking baking requests and if anyone wants me to post a specific recipe, or, a 'how-to' tutorial for anything, please let me know. I only wish I could bake for all of you in real life so you could sample some treats. (Rumpy, I'd be leaving a pie or cake etc. at your doorstep every day!) :) :) :)

Hello Jen!

I love scones...the ones that Panera Bread bake (in U.S.), especially...Wild Blueberry, Strawberry & Cream, Glazed Orange. :35

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm 

Y'all just made me hungery. I love recipes & cooking. I've been trying to hange my food. I want to be healthier. I like smothies so that is one of the places I made a major change. I use tempa & tofu for the most of my protein.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm 

I'm just the opposite. I hate cooking but love to clean. And I should eat healthy food but I'm a junk food addict. I did buy some bananas though, hard to eat a half. Never eat meat and rarely eat veggies. I may be dying young. Hahaa

So I wish Jen was my neighbor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 pm 

Packy Hi!! :28

Peel your bananas, break in half, and freeze them. They make a GREAT ice cream like no other.
In your blender, banana, milk, drop of vanilla maybe.

Can also put frozen fruits in a blendor too. Make a sorbet. Try white grape juice in it, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:21 pm 

jen ... HI! Thanks for being here. :50

I have a nagging question. When making pie crusts, I so often see like shortening, etc.
But - I once read by Jack Peppin that you can "taste" it. He suggest for fragile fruit pies, to use butter
in your crust. Is the other way "traditional"? I want to do a lot of baking this Fall and Winter.
Some use half shortening and half butter - Julia Child? Why do they suggest crisco, shortening or whatever they call it?

Isn't butter better? :40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

packy ... just re-reading before I leave.

Please drink Mott's Garden Blend. THAT is the new but much better I think - V8 juice. I really like it. Seems lighter and has a slight pepper kick to it. Vegetables fight Cancer - we know. NONE of us get enough vegetables.

I often add some fresh lemon or meyer lemon juice to my juices, either fruit juice or my Mott's Garden Blend.
You might have to write to http://www.motts.com to find out who has it in your area. I found out and order it by the case now - 9 bottles. It is about 15-20 minutes away. WELL worth it. I feel stronger when I drink it!!
WE MUST BE STRONG!!! :77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:18 pm 

Packy I wish Jen was my neighbor - too.

I have a Jen, but not THIS one!! :97

Post subject: Moved
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm 

What a great place!!

Just got a Vitamix. LOVING IT! Made Sorbet, Hummus, Asparagus soup ... so far. People were calling in QVC and saying THEY TOO LOVED theirs!
One was upgrading - hers is 36 years old. If anything happens, free shipping both ways to Ohio.

I got the one that fits under the cabinets. Then I can leave it out all the time. The bigger one ... (container) won't fit under the cabinets. These are used in all those smoothie shops... always voted #1 among blenders. BUT it takes the place of **12 appliances**. Easy to use!

Comes with a great cook-book too. Can't wait to make fresh peach ice cream. Love ice creams with no eggs in it. Don't need that! It makes REAL
ice cream, not the soft kind. Can hold it upside down!

Grind your own hamburger, (THEN you will KNOW what you are really getting, and it will be FRESH!), and make your own peanut butter or almond butter. NOT to mention smoothies, veggie drinks, breakfast drinks!

I feel like I have a Rolls Royce in my kitchen and want to make everything with it. Shhhh even a safety "on" switch ... on the side, in the back, for kids.

Try to get yourself one for Christmas ... and ... on sale!! :86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 pm 

Congrats Joni!! :91

Mmmm...sounds like you'll be making some wonderful dishes!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm 

Hi MM!! :28 :79
I think I will be making great things. Good cook-book that comes with it, and many more recipes on their site. They say it makes you a good cook, even if you are not. I love to cook, anyway! They are around $400. - less on sale - but WE are worth it!! Good health is priceless!! Ask a cancer patient.

Every morning I drink Mott's Garden Blend too. I truly think if I didn't take good care of myself, I wouldn't be alive today!

Imagine a great breakfast drink? Have a healthy breakfast even if you don't have time - if you work. Some people make it the night before. They put it in the freezer, then take it out when they first get up. Great and ready for the car by the time they leave!! Mine came with a metal travel mug for the car.

I really want ice cream ... the way I want to make it. NO cream ... but maybe some yogurt, or whole milk, fresh fruit, maybe a little white grape juice for sweetner - maybe? I will try their recipes, then experiment.

Maybe I will look for SALES for them and write here about it? OR SOMEWHERE??

Where am I? :18 I was used to a very small place where we talked about children. This place is HUGE!

Post subject: Re: Joni's Food Tips
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 pm 

Getting into Panini's. Not sure the advantage of them, over regular grilled sandwhiches. They are Panino's ... Italian. They call them Panini's here. I have a great stove grill and just bought a Lodge heavy grill lid.

If you are EVERY tired of cooking after 30 years, and running out of ideas ... I got a new cookbook. It has soooo many ideas, including a section on Panini's. Each page is almost like a thin cardboad. Beautiful book with many, many hints and gorgeous color photos.
It is from the Food Network - called 1000 Easy Recipes from the Food Network. Each recipe is only a small paragraph. You will NEVER be stuck regarding wht to make!! I think they have 35 hot dog recipes, soups, cold drinks, hot drinks, desserts, appetizers, pastas, eggs, beans, salads, can't think of all the categories. Amazing book!

Post subject: Re: Joni's Food Tips
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 pm 

We don't have to spend ALL THAT MONEY on Le Creuset! The Best Of America's Test Kitchen did a test -
The Best Inexpensive Dutch Oven. Here are their results:

"So what should you consider when selecting a Dutch oven? Look for one that is roughly twice as wide as it is tall, with a minimum capacity of 6 - 7 quarts. The bottom should be thick to prevent food from scorching, and the lid should fit tightly to prevent excessive moisture loss. Looking for a less expensive alternative to our favorites made by All-Clad and and Le Creuset, we tested Dutch ovens in the under $100. range.

THE TRAMONTINA 6.5 QUART CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN is comparable in size to the All Clad and Le Creuset ovens and perfoms nearly as well. Better yet, at $45., it costs a fraction of the price of either!"

Great Christmas gift? :23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:58 pm 

I liked the salad at Olive Garden and tried hard to figure out WHAT was in their dressing.
Finally, I got it! :52 They put some "pickle juice" into their dressing! THAT was it. Since then, I have heard of that being done. DON'T THROW AWAY your pickle jar juice - after you have eaten all the pickles!!!

Maybe we can put a little in something else? Have to think ...
Maybe a little sweet pickle juice in potato salad?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 am 

Onions!
I remember when red onions were catching on... now they are used in just about everything I think.
When in my food market, the white onions looked very fresh and hard. The red ones were somewhat softer, AND much more expensive.
Thought I remembered the white ones were stronger in flavor. Do I see a win-win there?
Buy white onions, cheaper, and use LESS?
I am trying that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am 

I miss Jen. :79

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

Love my Slow Cooker especially when I need a break, or know I will be having a hard day.
(Cleaning out the garage, for example). So nice to walk back into the house smelling a delicious dinner.
Brown your meats first on the stove.
Spray the inside of your cooker with spray or rub with olive oil. Easier clean up.
I think there is a site ... www.crockpot.com ... with recipes.
If you work (OUTSIDE the home), you can prep some things the night before, put them in a baggie
in the refrigerator, and quickly get it started in the morning.
I usually put in a little V8 or Mott's Garden Blend in stews... makes it taste so good!
BTW ... a little dry mustard rubbed on stew meat makes it taste soooo good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:02 am 

I hear you, Joni, but I'm a chocoholic and a carb addict, and probably gonna die young anyway. Haha that's a joke.

I do walk thirty minutes each day and can still do a lot of bending while working around the house and outside and I'm still kind of skinny. I don't really eat any meat, but it's because I don't like it and then I think of the poor animals and it turns me off. So maybe I do have some healthy habits -- I hope.