It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am 

Bulger lawyer wonders why FBI agents should be believed

By Shelley Murphy
Globe Staff
June 26, 2013

A Justice Department agent testified Wednesday that a corrupt FBI agent fabricated some reports in James “Whitey” Bulger’s informant file to protect the gangster from prosecution, but he rejected defense arguments that the entire file was falsified.

In his fourth day on the stand, James Marra, an agent with the inspector general’s office, said Bulger’s disgraced FBI handler, John J. Connolly Jr., “fabricated some reports, but I have no reason to believe that Mr. Connolly fabricated all of the reports that were in that file, nor do I have information that other agents fabricated reports.”

Marra said Connolly had often talked of Bulger as “one of the most valuable informants in the battle against the LCN,” referring to La Cosa Nostra.

(More at link)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/0 ... story.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 am 
ADMIN

Thanks for the update, Packy... keep up the good work :give

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 am 

'Whitey' Bulger Trial Details FBI Corruption

By MICHELE McPHEE

BOSTON June 27, 2013

Former FBI supervisor John Morris thought he had left his sordid relationship with James "Whitey" Bulger back in Boston along with the envelopes of money, the cases of expensive wine, the home-cooked meals he had prepared for the accused mob boss.

"I wanted to break as many ties as I could with Boston," Morris told a federal court in Boston today. He transferred to FBI headquarters at Quantico, Va., and thought it was over.

Then the phone rang one night when Morris was working late. It was 1995 and Bulger had become a fugitive from justice, tipped off to a pending indictment by Morris' FBI underling, special agent John Connolly, who was also his best friend.

In the days before he picked up the phone, Morris testified, he had received messages from a "Mr. White." But Morris never thought he would hear the voice of the accused assassin.

But it was Bulger on the phone. And he was livid. A Boston newspaper had reported that Bulger was a longtime FBI informant, and Bulger wanted Morris to have the story retracted.

"He told me he wanted me to use my Machiavellian mind to contact my sources at the Globe to get them to retract the story about him being an informant," Morris told the court. "If I didn't, he said, 'Remember the box.'"

Morris knew the reference, he said on the stand. It was about $1000 in an envelope stuffed into a wooden box that contained imported wine, among the countless bribes Morris accepted from Bulger and another FBI informant, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi.

More at link with pictures

http://abcnews.go.com/US/whitey-bulger- ... c2HpL4o6h0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am 

Drug dealer's account elicits laughs from Bulger at trial

By Kristina Sgueglia, CNN

updated 12:03 PM EDT, Tue July 2, 2013

Boston (CNN) -- A federal jury Monday saw a rare display of emotion from reputed mob kingpin James "Whitey" Bulger when he laughed while reveling in his former drug dealer's nostalgia as the dealer testified in his federal murder trial.

Jurors also saw the family of a man shot to death, allegedly by Bulger, react to disgraced former FBI supervisor's tearful public apology for his role in two 1982 deaths.

Former FBI agent John Morris apologized in court to the family of Michael Donahue, whom Bulger is charged with killing, for leaking sensitive information that eventually made its way to the reputed South Boston crime boss, and according to testimony, cost Donahue his life.

More at link

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 am 

"Whitey" Bulger Told By Witness He Was Going to Kill Him

By MICHELE McPHEE

BOSTON July 2, 2013

William Shea was a South Boston cocaine dealer. He made his money. He paid tribute to the neighborhood's accused mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger and in 1986 he wanted out.

There was one problem, Shea testified at Bulger's trial today. Bulger didn't want to let him out, he said.

Shea was the latest confessed hitman, bookie or drug dealer to testify at Bulger's trial. The aging alleged mob boss is accused if 32 crimes, including 19 murders. Shea's testimony appeared to be intended to bolster the prosecutor's contention that Bulger was feared because of his reputation for ruthlessness.

"I told him I'm not looking for a pension plan,'' Shea told the court. "I put my a**, my butt, on that street for six or seven years. It was time for me to cash in."

Bulger said no, Shea recalled on the stand.

"He said it wouldn't run without you, Bill,'' Shea told the court.

But Shea was wiling to take his chances, he said. He went to Florida and didn't plan on coming back, until he got a call from Bulger.

"I angered him,'' Shea told the court. "He called me. He said, 'If you don't come up, I'll come down there."'

"Was he coming down there to vacation with you?" Kelly asked.

"No,'' Shea answered. "I came back."

When he came back he saw a side of his longtime friend "Jim" that he had heard about, but had never seen face-to-face. Shea told the court Bulger had "tell signs that he was getting aggravated" and those signs were showing.

"He makes it very, very clear I cannot leave,'' Shea told the court. "Now I'm back, I listen to the riot act."

It has been 30 years since Shea last saw Bulger and he still glanced at his old boss nervously in court today. Sometimes when Kelly asked a question, Shea answered it by addressing "Jim."

And when asked to point to Bulger in the court, Shea smiled and said: "He's that young fella right there in the green shirt."

More at link

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tearful-apolog ... dRF674o6h0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am 

http://www.wbur.org/2013/07/01/boeri-bulger-reddit-ama

David Boeri Discusses Bulger Trial On Reddit

By Nate Goldman July 1, 2013

WBUR reporter David Boeri, who has reported on Bulger for the last three decades, has been inside the courtroom since the trial began, and on Friday took to the social sharing platform Reddit to discuss his intimate knowledge of the case in an “ask me anything” with the site’s community.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am 

Bulger and protégé curse each other out during trial

G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Special for USA TODAY 12:21 a.m. EDT July 10, 2013

BOSTON — Sparks flew Tuesday in the racketeering trial of James "Whitey" Bulger as the gangster's longtime protégé described a house set up for murders, threatened a defense attorney, called Bulger one of the "biggest rats" and swore at him from the witness stand.

Kevin Weeks' second day on the stand ended with Judge Denise Casper jumping in to restore order after an outburst from Bulger and increasingly testy testimony from Weeks. It capped Weeks' recollections of Bulger's most gruesome alleged murders.

More at link with pictures

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... l/2503397/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 am 

Ex-partner: 'Bulger just kept shooting' in 1982 homicides

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/08/justice/m ... lger-trial

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am 

Judge denies ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s lawyers' request to delay trial

Published July 11, 2013
FoxNews.com

A federal judge in Boston denied the request by lawyers for James "Whitey" Bulger to delay proceedings in his racketeering trial for several days due to being overworked.

The reputed mobster's lead lawyer filed a motion Thursday asking for a suspension of the trial until Tuesday so the defense team can prepare for prosecution witnesses expected on the stand.

Attorney J.W. Carney Jr. says the "volume of paperwork is enormous," and that he and Bulger are exhausted and have "hit a wall." Bulger wakes up every day at 4 a.m. and the team has “struggled mightily” to spend time with their client and keep up with the trial, The Boston Herald reported.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/11/bu ... z2YkRt2UYX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 86165.html

Excerpt

Bulger is accused of playing a role in 19 killings. Jurors have heard from at least a half dozen relatives of people allegedly killed by Bulger and his gang in the 1970s and `80s.

On Friday, jurors are expected to hear from the brother of Debra Davis, a 26-year-old woman who prosecutors say was strangled by Bulger in 1981. Patricia Donahue, the widow of a man allegedly shot by Bulger in 1982, is also expected to take the stand.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 am 
ADMIN

You are doing a great job of updating Packy :give

I know it looks bad with one name on post after post... but it does provide a reference to follow the trial... I have done the same myself on other cases.

The GZ trial....is using up my time and energy... but I do look in here to see what's happening .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am 

I like to post the updates so we have them for future reference or just to have the info in one place. So I thank you for providing this site. Hate it when boards go down and all that stuff gets lost or when the news sites drop the articles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 16972.html

Stephen Rakes Dead: Key 'Witness' In Bulger Trial Found Dead In Lincoln, Massachusetts

Posted: 07/18/2013 11:06 am EDT

Excerpt

"There were no obvious signs of trauma," the Middlesex District Attorney's office said in a statement. "The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is conducting an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death."

Rakes was 59 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013 ... n/2524521/

Bulger trial witness: 'He threatened me with a machine gun'

G. Jeffrey MacDonald, USA TODAY 1:35 p.m. EDT July 17, 2013

Businessman, latest to testify against Whitey Bulger, says alleged crime boss used machine gun to extort $400,000

Excerpt

Michael Solimando Jr. described terrifying moments in 1982 when he said Bulger held a handgun to his face, then pushed a machine gun to his groin. Solimando says he eventually paid the money out of fear, even though he was a legitimate businessman.

At least a half dozen drug dealers and bookmakers have testified that Bulger demanded money from them. Another drug dealer is scheduled to testify Wednesday, along with relatives of people allegedly killed by Bulger's gang.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am 

Three Highlights From Wednesday's Bulger Trial Proceedings

http://www.wgbhnews.org/post/three-high ... roceedings

12:55 pm

Wed July 17, 2013

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm 

"Whitey" Bulger Trial: Stephen Flemmi, ex-associate of reputed gangster, accuses former mob boss of pedophilia

July 23, 2013 12:47 PM

CBS/AP) BOSTON - The star witness at the trial of James "Whitey" Bulger, the reputed gangster's former associate, tried Tuesday to counter the defense's claims that he's a pedophile by lobbing the same accusation back at Bulger.

Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi had acknowledged in testimony that he engaged in oral sex with his longtime girlfriend's teenage daughter, Deborah Hussey, who had called him "Daddy."

Flemmi also testified that Bulger strangled Hussey after she started using drugs, getting arrested and dropping their names when she got in trouble.

More at link

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... edophilia/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 am 

The Whitey Bulger Trial

Entry 11: What it’s like when one of the world’s most terrifying criminals puts a shotgun in your mouth.

By Seth Stevenson|Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013, at 5:45 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... fying.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 pm 

Great work, packy, thanks! I wasn't interested in this before... but now... It's going to take me a bit of time to get up to speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 am 

Thanks, Liesel.

I am trying to follow this one and wanted to post articles with links for reference since I can't follow it everyday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... l/2591383/

July 27, 2013

Excerpt

BOSTON — As prosecutors rest their case against most-wanted mobster James "Whitey" Bulger, the case now hinges on one key element: credibility.

The government called its final witnesses Friday in a 32-count racketeering trial that has so far featured graphic testimony from a parade of killers, drug dealers, bookies and corrupt FBI agents. Sixty-three witnesses have testified over 30 days.

Last edited by packy on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am 

Boston (CNN) -- After 30 days and 63 prosecution witnesses -- including extortion victims, shooting victims, federal law enforcement agents, former drug dealers, and families of alleged murder victims -- defense attorneys began making their case Monday for James "Whitey" Bulger, allegedly Boston's most feared underworld crime boss.

Their first witness, a former FBI agent, testified that he was sent to clean up the "leaks" at the FBI in Boston in 1981, and that one of his assignments, given by the special agent in charge, was to evaluate Bulger as an informant and perform a "suitability study."

After an evaluation, he recommended "terminating" Bulger as an informant.

"You have a guy telling you he is not an informant ... telling you he has his own gang ... he pays, they (the FBI) don't pay him," Robert Fitzpatrick, the former agent, said Monday. "That automatically, in my opinion and according to the book, would nullify him as a trusted informant."

"You may call him an informant by name. According to the bureau, according to the file, he is an informant," Fitzpatrick, who spent more than 20 years with the FBI, said before a federal jury in Boston on Monday. He ultimately recommended that Bulger's file be closed.

On cross-examination, prosecution attorney Brian Kelly asked Fitzpatrick rhetorically, "You wouldn't go to close a window if it wasn't open right?"

Much more at link with pictures of a younger Bulger.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/29/justice/m ... index.html