It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm 
ADMIN

At trial, feds paint 'mayhem' of mobster 'Whitey' Bulger
G. Jeffrey MacDonald, USA TODAY 1:27 p.m. EDT June 12, 2013

James "Whitey" Bulger is no saint, prosecutors and his lawyers agree. They differ on whether his old mob pals are the best witnesses against him in his trial on 19 murder charges and other crimes.

BOSTON — James "Whitey" Bulger made "millions upon millions" in the 1970s and '80s by operating a bunch of criminal enterprises and paying off law enforcement agents — but the guys who call him a ruthless murderer can't be trusted to tell the truth.

That's how Bulger's attorney, J.W. Carney, made the case for his client Wednesday during opening arguments in the long-awaited trial of the 83-year-old Bulger, who was on the FBI's most-wanted list for more than a decade.

"They've done a lot of negotiating with the witnesses, (and) things have evolved with the witnesses," Carney said. "We're going to try to show you what happens in the prosecutors' kitchen."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Kelly told jurors that Bulger wasn't just overseeing bookies, drug dealers and other illegal affairs. He stockpiled weapons, extorted millions from those who crossed his cronies and participated — sometimes brutally — in 19 grisly murders, Kelly said.

....more at link

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... b/2414753/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 pm 
ADMIN

Whitey Bulger Trial Opening Statements Expected To Deliver Fireworks (LIVE BLOG)

Posted: 06/12/2013 8:34 am EDT | Updated: 06/12/2013 12:52 pm EDT

BOSTON -- The trial of one of America's most infamous mob bosses began last week with an extraordinarily challenging jury selection. But the real show starts Wednesday as prosecutors unload their opening statements against James "Whitey" Bulger on charges that he's responsible for 19 murders.

Just 24 hours ago, the chance that assistant prosecutors from the U.S. attorney's office would begin building their case brick-by-brick against the onetime crime chieftain seemed remote. It had taken longer than was originally scheduled to winnow a panel of more than 800 potential jurors into a pool of 12 jury members and six alternates. Plus, there were last-minute motions filed by the defense to further slow down the trial.

.....more and LIVE UPDATES at link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 24657.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm 

I would not want to be a juror on a Mob Boss trial. :eek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am 
ADMIN

James "Whitey" Bulger trial: Mobster played by Jack Nicholson in The Departed was 'hands-on killer'
13 Jun 2013 09:31

The 83-year-old Boston gangster took part in 19 murders while being protected as an informant for the FBI, a court heard

The gangster trial of the century opened yesterday as feared crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger was branded a "hands-on killer" who laughed as he shot his victims.

The 83-year-old Boston gangster - played by Jack Nicholson in Oscarwinning 2006 film The Departed - "ran amok" and took part in 19 murders while being protected as an informant for the FBI, a court heard yesterday.

Bulger faced 23 counts of money laundering, five gun charges, two extortion charges and two racketeering charges after being on the run for 16 years.

The mobster was the centre of "murder and mayhem" for almost 30 years since 1970, said Assistant US Attorney Brian Kelly in his opening statement.

The jury heard how Bulger shot a legendary Boston safecracker called Arthur "Bucky" Barrett and then calmly took a nap as his henchmen buried the body.

...more at link
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... er-1949667

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:26 pm 
ADMIN

EXCLUSIVE: The tragic life of a gangster's moll who Whitey Bulger 'strangled and dismembered because she knew too much and wanted out'

• Debbie Davis, girlfriend of Whitey Bulger's partner, Stephen Flemmi, was 26 when she disappeared in 1981
  • Her body lay undiscovered until 2000 when it was found in a marsh
  • Bulger is accused of strangling and dismembering her - one of only two women out of his 19 alleged murder victims
  • Her teeth had been pulled out and hands cut off to avoid identification
  • Her vengeful brother tells MailOnline of her tragic life and how he believes Bulger killed her 'like a snake' because she wanted to leave Flemmi
  • Claims Flemmi tried to convince Debbie's mother, who died not seeing justice, that she'd run away to Texas
  • Her brother, a self-confessed criminal, claims Bulger once gave him a bullet as an extortion threat

By Laura Collins In Boston
PUBLISHED: 17:42 GMT, 14 June 2013 | UPDATED: 19:01 GMT, 14 June 2013

To the crowds that gather early outside Moakley Federal Court House on the South Boston waterfront, the trial of James ‘Whitey’ Bulger is simply the biggest show in town.

This is the man who once allegedly ruled Boston’s criminal underworld, who stands accused on 32 counts of racketeering, gun-peddling, extortion, money laundering and of being involved in at least 19 murders.

It is gruesome. It is sensational. Corruption, murder, mayhem..the trial which started this week is the stuff of Hollywood movies.

But to the man who sits front left in court room no 11 each morning and who will sit there every single day of a trial which may run four months, it is something quite different.

To Steve Davis, 55, witnessing this is as close to vengeance as he is ever likely to get.

He sits and he seethes, willing Bulger, now 83, to look him in the eye just once.

Speaking to MailOnline he says: ‘It’s like a man looking at a naked woman and you can’t reach out and touch her.

‘Or a starving man looking at a steak and he can’t reach it. That’s the feeling, seeing him. It’s something that you want so bad and it’s out of your reach. I see him and I want to put my hands on him but I can’t.’

For Mr Davis revenge and justice are almost indistinguishable and he wants them for the murder of his sister.

Debbie Davis was 26 when she was murdered. She disappeared in 1981 and her body went undiscovered until 2000 when she was dug out of the marsh at Neponset River. She had been strangled, and like so many of the alleged victims of Whitey Bulger, she had been dismembered - her teeth pulled out and her hands cut off to avoid identification.

Her murder stands out on Bulger’s list of charges as one of only two women he accused of killing and one of the charges he most hotly denies.

Killing women, he has said, is ‘against his code.’

Mr Davis snears: ‘Being a rat was supposed to be against their code but he was the biggest rat in the history of organized crime. He put away the Cosa Nostra.

‘Did Whitey kill her? Oh yeh. Hands on.’

....more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -much.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 pm 

By Svea Herbst-Bayliss

BOSTON | Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:43pm EDT

Reuters) - James "Whitey" Bulger made it clear to Boston bookmakers that murder was among his violent options if they balked at paying thousands of dollars in annual "rent" to the notorious mob boss, two former bookies testified on Friday.

"We have a business beyond bookmaking," Richard O'Brien recalled Bulger telling him in a private meeting decades ago to settle a disagreement. "Killing assholes like you." O'Brien spent decades placing illegal bets on horse-racing and football games.

"Rather than being in the bookmaking business and taking the unknown gamble, they would take rent like you would for an apartment," O'Brien, 84, testified.

On the third day of Bulger's racketeering and murder trial, O'Brien and 72-year-old James Katz, another former bookie, told jurors how the 83-year-old Bulger had earned millions while running the city's violent "Winter Hill Gang."

"You had to comply," Katz told the court, adding that the choice of withholding protection payments from the gang "was up to you but if they caught you, you'd get into trouble: you could wind up in the hospital."

Katz and O'Brien said that from the early 1970s to 1992, they each paid Bulger and his associates over $1,000 a month during football season and $500 a month during the rest of the year. They often handed over the money at bars, parking garages and a liquor store. Both men feared crossing Bulger.

"At that time it was murder and a lot of beatings," Katz said. O'Brien warned his daughter, who had joined the family's illegal business, to go to the Federal Bureau of Investigation if he failed to return within 12 hours from a meeting with a top Bulger associate. He also warned her not to go home to Boston if he ended up dead.

(More at link)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/ ... pe=RSS&amp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
I would not want to be a juror on a Mob Boss trial. :eek

The days of Whitey Bulger's mob are over.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 pm 
ADMIN

I liked him better when he was Jack Nicolson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 am 

Yeah Jack Nicolson could do that Bulger snicker better than anyone.

From stone face to snicker

http://abcnews.go.com/US/whitey-bulger- ... b2rVr4o6h0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:26 am 
ADMIN

Boston trial of 'Whitey' Bulger ends its 1st week
Sunday, June 16, 2013

BOSTON — One of the FBI's Most Wanted for more than a decade, James "Whitey" Bulger went on trial last week. Here's a look back at the first week of the racketeering trial of a man who prosecutors say participated in 19 killings.
[...]
WHAT'S UP NEXT
Hit man John Martorano is expected to testify Monday as one of the prosecution's star witnesses. Martorano admitted killing 20 people and served 12 years in prison. Bulger's lawyers have attacked his credibility and the "extraordinary" deal he got from prosecutors in exchange for his cooperation.

...more at link
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... s_1st_week

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 53006.html
Excerpts

John Martorano served a little over 12 years in prison after striking a cooperation deal with prosecutors. He was released in 2007.

Martorano is one of three former Bulger loyalists who struck deals with prosecutors and agreed to testify against him. Bulger's former partner, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, and former Bulger lieutenant Kevin Weeks are also expected to be key prosecution witnesses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am 

I thought this trial was to be live streamed via the internet? I can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:28 pm 

I thought they said they would have live stream here. Or is it just video afterward not sure.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/whitey- ... l-19426148

By DENISE LAVOIE AP Legal Affairs Writer

BOSTON June 18, 2013 (AP)

A former enforcer for James "Whitey" Bulger who admitted killing 20 people insisted Tuesday that he is not a hit man or a serial killer, but instead is a "nice guy" who was only trying to help his family and friends when he pumped bullets into victims while working with Bulger and his gang.

More at link with picture

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hitm ... cDrlb4o6h0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 am 

Hi Packy
I know that David Lohr (he of one time Court tv) sometimes covers these cases, and I know live streaming was discussed, however, perehaps the defence objected to streaming, I looked around the net but didn't see any mention of that, so was just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 am 
ADMIN

Trial of 'Whitey' Bulger returns to evidence of murders
BOSTON | Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:12am EDT

(Reuters) - The trial of James "Whitey" Bulger on Thursday turns back to evidence of the 19 murders the alleged mob boss is accused of committing or ordering while he ran the ruthless Winter Hill crime gang in the 1970s and '80s.

Family members of some of Bulger's alleged victims may take the stand to identify photos of their murdered relatives.

Three days of testimony from star witness John Martorano - the first of Bulger's former lieutenants to take the stand - included chilling details of hits the now 72-year-old confessed killer described carrying out with Bulger.

Bulger, portrayed by his attorneys as a mild-mannered loan shark, extortionist and drug dealer but not a murderer, has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Now 83, he faces life in prison if convicted.

Boston Police Sergeant Detective William Doogan, a supervisor in the department's cold case squad, followed Martorano on the witness stand to testify about photos related to the cases of eight murder victims in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Jurors saw images including bullet-pocked cars and the body of Edward Connors, a Dorchester bar owner Bulger is accused of murdering, lying dead in a phone booth.

Bulger's trial, which is expected to last three to four months, is one of the most anticipated in Boston history. The most feared criminal in the city fled after a 1994 tip from a corrupt federal agent that arrest was imminent.

He evaded law enforcement for 16 years, most of them on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list, before law enforcement caught up with him in June 2011, hiding in a seaside apartment in California.

His story inspired Martin Scorsese's 2006 Academy Award-winning film "The Departed."

....more at link
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/ ... 8W20130620

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 am 
ADMIN

More family members of victims to testify at Whitey Bulger racketeering trial in Mass.
Published June 21, 2013
Associated Press

BOSTON – More family members of people allegedly killed by James "Whitey" Bulger and his gang are expected to take the witness stand at Bulger's racketeering trial.

Several relatives gave emotional testimony Thursday, describing how they heard their loved ones were killed.

Donald Milano told the jury about hearing on the radio that his older brother, Michael, had been slain in 1973.

A woman who was in Milano's car that night described ducking down as she heard a barrage of bullets being fired at the car. She was shot in the arm, while her boyfriend was left a quadriplegic from the shooting.

Additional relatives are expected to testify Friday.

The 83-year-old Bulger is accused of playing a role in 19 murders during the 1970s and '80s while allegedly running the Winter Hill Gang. He has pleaded not guilty.

....more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/21/mo ... z2Wqw9bliu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:35 pm 

Robert Duvall Spectator At Whitey Bulger Trial In Boston

Updated: 06/21/2013 12:18 pm EDT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 78791.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm 

Wroughead wrote:
Hi Packy
I know that David Lohr (he of one time Court tv) sometimes covers these cases, and I know live streaming was discussed, however, perehaps the defence objected to streaming, I looked around the net but didn't see any mention of that, so was just curious.

I hear you, Wroughead.
I have David as an FB friend and looked around his page to see if he mentioned the Bulger trial but I couldn't see anything. He's been commenting live on Huff about the Travon/Zimmerman case but I didn't watch any of it. I thought it was going to be live streamed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm 

I find the best way for me to keep up to date with the trials is to watch when they're streamed - owing to the time difference for me, it just means I can watch and not miss anything.

Shame it's not streamed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am 

Whitey Bulger Trial Enters 3rd Week; Here's What You Need To Know

By The Associated Press 06/24/13 02:40 AM ET EDT

-- The trial of James "Whitey" Bulger enters its third week Monday with more testimony from prosecution witnesses. Bulger is accused in a 32-count racketeering indictment of a long list of crimes, including participating in 19 killings. Here are some highlights from the courtroom last week:

Highlights and Gallery of who's who.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... de=2554503