It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 am 

FOLLOW UP to story posted above

DELAND POLICE FATAL CRASH
Estate of man run over, killed by officer settles with DeLand

Quote:
"DELAND — Krystal Brown wiped tears from her eyes Wednesday night as the City Commission took up a $550,000 settlement in the death of her ex-husband, who was run over and killed by a DeLand police officer."

Still to come:
Quote:
The State Attorney’s Office continues to gather information in the case and will decide whether to file any criminal charges in Brown’s death.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... ith-DeLand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am 

Thanks, flgirl543. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm 
ADMIN

RT wasn't around to follow the case... so perhaps not worth a thread now.... but of course a significant case.....

Military jury convicts soldier in Fort Hood attack
By WILL WEISSERT and PAUL J. WEBER
— Aug. 23 6:05 PM EDT

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A military jury on Friday convicted Maj. Nidal Hasan in the deadly 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood, making the Army psychiatrist eligible for the death penalty in the shocking assault against American troops by one of their own on home soil.

There was never any doubt that Hasan was the gunman. He acknowledged to the jury that he was the one who pulled the trigger on fellow soldiers as they prepared to deploy overseas to Iraq and Afghanistan. And he barely defended himself during a three-week trial.

The unanimous decision on all 13 counts of premeditated murder made Hasan eligible for execution in the sentencing phase that begins Monday.

...more at link
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/jury-for ... iberations

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm 
ADMIN

The 13 victims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 pm 

Disturbing case of animal cruelty caught on camera
Trio sought after dumping dog in trash dumpster and trapping it there for hours

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/html5/video ... me_tracker

This is how they start...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:03 am 

Yes, it is, flgirl543. Anyone with that kind of vicious cruelty in them is very, very scary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:14 am 

BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • Published: July 31, 2013
BLANCHARD — A judge in Oklahoma has delayed the trial for the alleged accomplice of a man who was shot and killed by a widowed teen mother during an apparent home invasion.

A judge in Grady County granted the order after attorneys representing Dustin Stewart filed a motion to dismiss the first-degree murder charges filed against their client.

Prosecutors allege that Stewart and Justin Martin broke into the home of Sarah McKinley on New Year's Eve in 2011. McKinley, who was 18 at the time and recently widowed, shot and killed Martin.

Stewart was charged under an Oklahoma law that allows murder charges if an accomplice dies during the commission of a felony.

A local newspaper reports Stewart's trial is now set for Oct. 21. His attorney, Chase O'Brien, declined to comment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 am 

That poor young woman - how awful to have suffered so much at such a young age.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 pm 

This is the first time I can recall hearing "ethnic intimidation". Maybe the woman is an immigrant.

Pittsburgh police charge 4 teenage girls with ethnic intimidation in beating of Avalon woman

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/loc ... z2dCJLytw4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 pm 

OK...sounds like a hate crime by another name...

Ethnic intimidation - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 2710

§ 2710. Ethnic intimidation.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the offense of ethnic
intimidation if, with malicious intention toward the actual or
perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender or
gender identity of another individual or group of individuals,
he commits an offense under any other provision of this article
or under Chapter 33 (relating to arson, criminal mischief and
other property destruction) exclusive of section 3307 (relating
to institutional vandalism) or under section 3503 (relating to
criminal trespass) with respect to such individual or his or her
property or with respect to one or more members of such group or
to their property.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crim ... 0.000.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 pm 

By Michael KieferThe Republic | azcentral.comFri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 PM

Debra Milke’s 1990 murder conviction and death sentence were thrown out by a federal court of appeals because of a questionable confession purportedly obtained by a Phoenix police detective with a spotty record.
But a Maricopa County prosecutor made it clear in a Superior Court hearing Friday that he intends to debate the higher-court ruling and keep the tainted confession in evidence — despite the misgivings of the Superior Court judge overseeing Milke’s retrial in the slaying of her 4-year-old son.

The clock is ticking.

The confession was supposed to be argued next Friday; Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Rosa Mroz doubted it will get done by then, especially given that Deputy County Attorney Vince Imbordino asked for more time to prepare his arguments on the confession.

According to an order by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Milke’s retrial is supposed to start by Oct.7 or she must be released from custody. The trial will go forward.

Milke's conviction hinged on a detective named Armando Saldate, who claimed that Milke confessed the murder to him, though it was not recorded and there were no witnesses. Milke denies that she confessed.

In May, the 9th Circuit threw out her conviction and death sentence because her defense in the original trial had been denied the chance to obtain Saldate’s sullied personnel record and question him about it.

Milke’s attorneys want the confession excluded altogether.

But Imbordino told Mroz, “There are things in the 9th Circuit ruling that are false.”

Mroz has said that the opinion will be the law of the case.

“You don’t have to accept a 9th Circuit ruling if they are wrong,” Imbordino said.

There is to be a separate hearing on Friday dealing with whether Milke can be released on bond.

The trial is currently scheduled to begin Sept.30.

Friday’s hearing mostly centered on Milke’s defense attorneys’ contention that the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office should be disqualified from retrying Milke because of its actions during the 1990 trial, when it blocked Milke’s attorneys from accessing Saldate’s personnel record, which mentions eight cases in which he was caught lying or violating suspects’ rights.

Mroz took the matter under advisement and said she would issue a decision next week.

Milke, 49, is charged with first-degree murder in the 1989 death of her son, Christopher; she is accused of having arranged the killing. She spent 22 years on death row before the 9th Circuit decision in May.

Two men are still on death row because of the crime.

James Styers, who was Milke's roommate, is believed to have been the triggerman who shot the boy and left his body in a desert wash in December 1989. The boy thought he was going to see Santa Claus.

The third person convicted in the murder, Roger Scott, confessed that he was with Styers when Christopher was killed, and Scott led police to the boy’s body. Scott also implicated Milke, but he refused to testify at her trial.

The prosecutor from Milke’s first trial and the elected county attorney at the time of her conviction have both retired. But in their briefs, Milke’s attorneys claimed that the new prosecutor and his supervisors worked closely with them and could therefore be unjustly biased against Milke. They asked that the entire office be disqualified, which would require that the case be tried by attorneys from another county or by the state.

At the end of Friday’s hearing, Milke’s ex-husband, who changed his first name from Mark to Arizona, tried to give a packet of papers to Mroz, saying he has been harassed by the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, which prosecuted the Milke case through years of appeals. Arizona Milke told Mroz that the Attorney General’s Office is responsible for his own father’s death because of the alleged harassment. And he expressed his own displeasure with the county attorney, though he has steadfastly lobbied for the punishment of his ex-wife for their son’s death.

Mroz told him it wasn’t the proper venue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
ADMIN

Fort Hood gunman Maj. Nidal Hasan sentenced to death
Published August 28, 2013
FoxNews.com

Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist who killed 13 people in 2009 in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, was sentenced to death Wednesday by a military jury after just two hours of deliberation.

Hasan, who offered little defense, sat motionless as the jury president read the verdict. Hasan has said he acted to protect Islamic insurgents abroad from American aggression and never denied being the gunman. In opening statements, he acknowledged to the jury that he pulled the trigger in a crowded waiting room where troops were getting final medical checkups before deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hasan had one final chance Wednesday to give a closing argument before his case went to the jury, but he declined -- continuing an absent defense that he has used since his trial began three weeks ago. The panel unanimously ruled that Hasan must forfeit all pay and allowances and be dismissed from the service.

...more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/28/fo ... -to-death/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm 

I am on the fence about that one. It seems that he was asking for death so that he could become a martyr for the "cause." There is a HUGE part of me that wants his miserable ass in prison until he dies of natural causes. The smaller part says he was using martyrdom to try to get life, reverse psychology. He is a shrink so he knows a lot of tricks..

Just IMO. I want him behind bars for eternity and a day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:41 pm 
ADMIN

Suicide vest... locked on... let him run around a big Stadium for a while before remote detonation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 am 

I hear ya', DebFrmHell... but from the little I know about the case, I think he wants to die. Have you heard about the explosive emails that show he was discussing killing fellow soldiers with Anwar al Awlaki a year before he did it, and they were ignored by the FBI? He was given pass after pass, so as not to hurt his Muslim fee-fees, which is more important than getting an obviously suicidal murderer-to-be away from our soldiers.

To be clear, what Hasan wants or doesn't want doesn't interest me. A military prosecutor said, "Do not be fooled. He is not giving his life. We are taking his life. This is not his gift to God. This is his debt to society."

Ace wrote:
MOTHER JONES MAGAZINE: EMAILS OF NIDAL HASAN, WELL KNOWN TO FBI AND PENTAGON OFFICIALS, SUGGEST THAT OBVIOUS VIOLENT THREAT AND SECURITY RISK WAS SIMPLY IGNORED

13 (14) people dead is an awfully high price to pay for Political Correctness.

I'm as shocked as you are that this is in Mother Jones. I should also note that the headline is my headline, not theirs.

But theirs is nearly as forward-leaning:

Internal Documents Reveal How the FBI Blew Fort Hood

Nearly a year before the massacre, the bureau intercepted emails between Nidal Hasan and radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki that officials called "fairly benign." They are anything but.

Be prepared to be enraged, and enraged in the worst possible way: Enraged and powerless, because you know damn well, no matter how many people die, they will keep on doing this.

Because NoH8 you guys.

I can only excerpt this. Be aware, the article is fairly brief (2 pages) and packs a lot into those pages. So you should read the whole thing.

Read more at Ace of Spades HQ. In a separate post Ace wrote that he'd eat his hat if President Obama doesn't commute Hasan's sentence before he leaves office.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 pm 
ADMIN

Teen found guilty of murdering baby in stroller
From ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 4:32 PM, August 30, 2013
Posted: 4:28 PM, August 30, 2013

MARIETTA, Ga. — An 18-year-old man was convicted of murder in the shooting of a baby who was riding in a stroller alongside his mom in a town in coastal Georgia.

Jurors deliberated about two hours before finding De'Marquise Elkins guilty in the March 21 killing of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in Brunswick. The man's mother, Karimah Elkins, was on trial alongside him and was found guilty of tampering with evidence but acquitted of lying to police.

De'Marquise Elkins' attorney asked for bond for his client while they appealed, which a judge denied.

Prosecutors said Elkins killed Antonio in an attempted robbery. The baby's mother, Sherry West, also was shot.

Another teen, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, is also charged with murder in the case and is set to be tried later.

Sherry West testified during the two-week trial that she was walking home from the post office with 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in a stroller on the morning of March 21. She said a gunman demanding her purse shot her baby in the face after she told him she had no money.

...more at link

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/t ... KnpCcqSqsN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 pm 
ADMIN

Link from CTH.................

Clearwater Police announce arrest in Jason Paul's murder
Posted: 08/29/2013
By: WFTS Staff

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Clearwater Police announced the arrest of 16-year-old Mychal King on Thursday. He is accused in the January murder of Jason Taylor Paul, the city's first homicide of 2013.

Police said King admitted to killing Paul for no reason other than he had a hard day with his family that night of January 6, and "just wanted to kill the first person he saw."

Police say 22-year-old Jason Taylor Paul was stabbed multiple times while riding his bike home from work late.

Jason's parents, John and Renee Langfritz had been distraught since the news of Paul's death, and desperate for closure, even offering a $10,000 reward for information.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/r ... z2dVxuPtbx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm 
ADMIN

Yet another "I am Trayvon" gone feral.

I think it appropriate that these types of criminals get referred to as "Trayvons" That is a more fitting "legacy" than the silly notion that TM is somehow a role model.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 pm 

Rumpole or anyone else, didn't know where to put this, I just read thread about Kyron. I didn't keep up with much stuff before the KC trial, I don't have cable and didn't have internet... Anyway, I am wondering about the lil Baby Lisa Irwin. My friend Omar use to live near St Louis, and we keep looking, and she kept watching, but we haven't heard anything in FOREVER.

I just find it awful and truly wonder... and also about the lady from Florida Michelle Parker...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 pm 

Hi, Arkansasmimi! Nice to cyber-see you. :)

Do you have any links? I'm not familiar with either case. TIA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next