It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:34 am 
ADMIN

Australia won't give guarantee for Corby

The Australian government will provide a letter of support for Schapelle Corby's parole application, but has refused to say if it will give a guarantee needed to help her win a release from jail before the end of the year.
Corby, who was caught in 2004 attempting to import 4.1 kilograms of marijuana into Bali in her bodyboard bag, will be eligible to apply for parole in two weeks if a recommendation that another six months be shaved from her sentence is approved.
The 35-year-old had her 20-year prison term slashed by five years in May after she won an appeal for clemency from Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
A fresh recommendation for another six-month cut, if approved as expected within the next two weeks, and combined with more than two years in remissions the 35-year-old has already received, will mean she would have served two-thirds of that sentence.
Under Indonesian law, prisoners that have served two-thirds of their sentence are eligible to apply for pembebasan bersyarat (parole).
The Australian government has confirmed to AAP that a letter of support for Corby's parole application was being prepared.
But the government has refused to say whether it will provide a guarantee that Corby will adhere to a strict set of conditions that would likely be imposed during her period of probation.

If she fails to win parole, the earliest Corby could walk free from Kerobokan jail is mid-2015, so long as she continues to win the maximum eight months per year in remissions.

The latest development comes amid ongoing resentment in some quarters in Indonesia following a clemency decision in May.
The National Anti-Drugs Movement lost a case against Dr Yudhoyono's decree and plans to lodge a second appeal.

....more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/ ... -for-Corby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:37 am 
ADMIN

This case was very BIG in Australia, NZ and in Asia back in 2004.

It had similar drama to the Casey Anthony case with Schapelle's family (especially her mother) creating media spectacles akin to Cindy Anthony.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:46 am 

I remember this case quite well and was sick over the fact she got 20 years at the time IRC. It was big news and I posted a lot about it on one of the smaller board that was an offshoot of CTV. I wondered how it would all turn out.

She had maintained the drugs were not hers. Seemed awful hard to me to get 9 lbs. of pot into her boogy board bag onto the cargo section if I remember right.. I remember there were pics of her with a drug smuggler which could have been faked. And they knew there were rings ramping up in that place and she could have have been an unwitting interstate drug courier.

And later I read that in that same place there was an Aussie model who was arrested for having ecstasy but she later covered her head and called herself a muslim and she got off easy. Don't have a link to verify it though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 pm 
ADMIN

It pre-dated my discovering forums.. that started with the Anthony case... but I did read a lot of comments attached to news items and became aware of online discussions. The family were portrayed as "trailer Trash" (or the Australian equivalent) and they were popping in and out of Bali a lot. The "defence" was that Australian airport workers were using unwitting travellers luggage... all a bit far fetched IMO. I think there is a slight possibility that Schapelle's younger brother was the main culprit? He was travelling with her.
In NZ and Australia we are all VERY aware of harsh drug laws in Asia.... death penalty for some drug offences.. and severe sentences. 20 years was not an unusual sentence.. and as we can see she may well be out soon.. and so serve only 8 years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:49 pm 
ADMIN

The Sydney Telegraph continue to do "In Depth" stories... more recent ones at this link..

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/i ... elle-corby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 am 

You do so well on message boards that I would have thought you'd been around for longer than that. I found bulletin boards in the 90s and then found CTV around 2002. Good ol days I'd say, and now it seems some boards are dying and facebook and twitter etc. seems to be more popular.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting and I've read a lot of the comments too. Does seem a lot of people are down on her especially with all the drama. Either way if she's guilty or not I think 8 years is plenty of time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm 
ADMIN

I do think she "did it" and... like I say.... she should have been well aware of the harsh penalties for any drug offences... drug crime is a HUGE problem in some Asian Countries.. so some did decide to get "tough" on drugs a long time ago. It was not a small bag of dope for personal use or to share with friends.. It was a 9lb sack full.... that does make a difference. It was clearly for profit and not personal use. The whole point of having harsh sentences is to DETER people like Corby from trying. So she will will be very lucky if she gets out soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm 
ADMIN

Schapelle Corby 'positive' on parole hopes
Suff NZ 18/08/2012

Australian Schapelle Corby's lawyer says the former beauty student could be released from prison in Indonesia next month after her sentence was reduced.

Lawyer Iskandar Nawing says they are arranging necessary guarantees from the Australian Consulate and Corby's family to apply for parole next month. He says he expects Corby to be released late September.

Corby's mother says the convicted drug-smuggler is in good spirits and "quite positive" about her chances of being released from a Bali jail on parole.

"Everything seems to be going positive now," Rosleigh Rose told the Seven Network on Friday, as Indonesian authorities confirmed Corby would have another six months shaved from her sentence.

This leaves the 35-year-old able to apply for parole immediately.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/ ... role-hopes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:19 pm 

Interesting topics on the Expendable Project Facebook page

The political Sacrifice of Schapelle Corby.

https://www.facebook.com/PeopleForSchapelleCorby

(Did they withhold evidence?)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:00 pm 
ADMIN

I followed this case when it went down..... I can't remember all the details now.. but I had no doubt she was guilty.... her family put on a bit of a media circus... much like the Anthonys... and there were conspiracy theories... but Schapelle was carrying a large plastic sack of weed in her boogie-board bag.. not easy to be unaware of it. The family's movements in and out of Bali were a bit suspect...

The Support Schapelle sites were about as popular as Support Casey Anthony sites.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm 

I watched a movie yesterday, Brokedown Palace (1999), that was about 2 women vacationing in Thailand, who were in a rush to go to Hong Kong, and were arrested for having a large amount of drugs in their backpacks, supposedly put there by the bell hop or taxi driver. I don't think it was a true story, but it seemed believable to me that something like that could happen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm 
ADMIN

In this case... the conspiracy theory was.... baggage handlers working a Australian airports were putting drugs in luggage.

It WAS investigated at the time.. it is a bit far fetched.....

It never was made clear how the imaginary drug smugglers would retrieve the dope in Bali.

As I say .... there was a LARGE bag in boogie-board bag.. She would have known as soon as she picked it up. She tried to carry it through customs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm 

Not sure what to make of this as far as being true or not but I do think she may have been screwed by evidence that was held back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm 
ADMIN

I don't even understand what they are saying?

Whatever weight she checked her bags in at... still allows for some of that weight to be weed.

In my limited experience of international travel (including Qantas)... small overweight in bags is rarely (never) actually charged as overweight.
It has to be a lot of overweight to trigger a charge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 pm 

I hear you. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am 

Not sure how this will post but it is shared with her facebook page -- thanks to Auckland.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 1685948823

FB page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1748813 ... pelleCorby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
ADMIN

Eh?

Not sure what Auckland did to be linked..... I deny being part of it, whatever it was :45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 am 
ADMIN

Indonesian release looms for Schapelle Corby
Last updated 00:55 18/08/2013

Schapelle Corby should go free before the end of this year after a correctional board approved her parole and reduced her sentence, officials said.

The parole recommendation was handed to prison officials on Friday and Schapelle Corby could be released from her cell in Kerobokan jail soon after all legal process and supporting documents are completed, said Bali's corrections board chief Ketut Artha.

Corby, 35, was convicted in May 2005 of smuggling 4.2 kilograms of marijuana onto the resort island of Bali and sentenced to 20 years in prison.

In 2010, she asked for clemency, citing her poor mental state and last year, Indonesia's president reduced her sentence by five years. It means, she has served two thirds of her sentence and was eligible for parole late last year.

But complicated bureaucracy and legal processes have been hampering her parole bid, Artha said. He expected Corby to be released before the end of this year to live with her sister in Bali.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/ ... elle-Corby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 am 

Her book is being reprinted. Has anyone read it? She's still in prison and still claiming innocence. Reading those expendable reports does make me wonder if they did withhold evidence and put a political need above all else.

http://www.qbd.com.au/product/978174261 ... onella.htm

Author: Schapelle Corby & Kathryn Bonella

Seven years after first publication of her number-one bestelling memoir, Schapelle Corby remains in jail, and her book remains her only direct communication with the Australian public.

Rumpole, you wondered about why they thanked Auckland and I found this article about support through Occupy Auckland. Not sure how credible all the info is as it seems to be some kind of alternate news source but apparently there may be some sense of support from Occupy Auckland.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1302/S ... -corby.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:47 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks, Packy.

Not read the book... but followed case closely at the time.... long time ago to remember details for an old guy like me :)

But.... at the time I had NO DOUBT about her guilt. The only OUT might have been that her brother was involved too... but that would not have helped her.... he may well have been convicted as well as her.