It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden State Killer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 pm 
ADMIN

After searching for more than 40 years, authorities say an ex-cop is the Golden State Killer
By Ray Sanchez, Elizabeth I. Johnson and Alanne Orjoux, CNN

Image Image

(CNN) A former California police officer has been identified as the so-called Golden State Killer believed to have committed 12 killings and at least 50 rapes across California in the 1970s and 1980s, authorities said Wednesday.
Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested after investigators matched a discarded DNA sample from his home to evidence collected at some of the crimes, according to law enforcement officials at a news conference outside the crime lab where the key break in the case was uncovered.
"We all knew that we were looking for a needle in a haystack," Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said.

"It is fitting that today is National DNA Day. We found the needle in the haystack and it was right here in Sacramento."

...more at link
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/25/us/g ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:36 pm 

I've been reading about this Serial Killer. I'm glad they found out who it is but, I'm slightly disturbed by how they did it. They used online DNA site. They somehow grabbed the DNA info from one of his relatives and used it to check against DNA at the crime scenes. Again, I am glad they found him I just don't agree with how they found him. I would think privacy laws would come into play here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:20 pm 
ADMIN

I take your point, Froggie,,, but I guess (in theory) there has to be some evidence (probable cause) strong enough for a JUDGE to grant a warrant to get the DNA evidence. Although my faith in Courts and cops and Judges has been dealt a few blows lately. :roll

It is an extra step to be impounding DNA of a relative.. and not the target of the investigation.

ETA
I just heard on fox that the Website involved (genealogy site) was a place where people WILLINGLY shared Genetic profile publicly
I would caution people no NOT share DNA samples and data online

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:05 pm 

In this case the sharing did something good.

This was always the one case, that when asked, I always said was first on my list to want to be solved.
I am from OC, and he killed 4 people that lived there.

What do you think will be done with DNA info that would be negative?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 pm 
ADMIN

I dont buy the argument that says you shouldnt be worried about your info being looked at if you are not up to any wrong doing.
I think all the revelations about what "Intelligence Agencies" have been doing for political reasons reinforces the point.

Obviously LE had a clue who the perp was.... and so sought out DNA from his relative.... and they did so legally from a PUBLIC source.. so I have no real issue with that.

As far as what COULD go wrong with Gov agencies getting hold of DNA info..... I would say LOTS could go wrong... my brain is not capable of sinking to the evil depth they are capable of.