Post subject: Kate Steinle Murder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 pm 
ADMIN

Kate Steinle Murder... verdict watch

Shooting of Kathryn Steinle - Wikepedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... yn_Steinle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm 

Thanks, Rumpole. I forgot about this going on.

I see they finished deliberating for the day and the jurors will return back on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 pm 
ADMIN

Mexican illegal immigrant who has been deported five times is found NOT GUILTY of murder for 'shooting and killing a woman, 32, on San Francisco pier' in slaying that became a rallying cry for Trump's stance on sanctuary cities

• Jose Ines Garcia Zarate has been found not guilty of second-degree murder
  • Garcia Zarate admitted to shooting 32-year-old Kate Steinle last week
  • But he said he was holding gun on San Francisco pier when it accidentally fired
  • Garcia Zarate is a Mexican illegal immigrant who has been deported five times

By Abigail Miller For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:43 AEDT, 1 December 2017 | Updated: 12:58 AEDT, 1 December 2017

The Mexican illegal immigrant who admitted to shooting Kate Steinle in the back while she was walking with her father on a San Francisco pier on July 1, 2015 has been found not guilty of second-degree murder.

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was charged with second-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon. Though he admitted to shooting the 32-year-old in the back, he said the gun went off accidentally.

He was also not found guilty of involuntary manslaughter or assault with a firearm, and was only indicted on being a felon in possession of a weapon. Garcia Zarate now faces between 16 months and three years in state prison.

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urder.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 am 
ADMIN

Quote:
Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was charged with second-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon. Though he admitted to shooting the 32-year-old in the back on July 1, 2015, he said the gun went off accidentally.

He was also not found guilty of involuntary manslaughter or assault with a firearm, and was only convicted on being a felon in possession of a weapon. Garcia Zarate now faces between 16 months and three years in state prison, and US immigration officials have said he will be deported.

Post subject: Re: Kate Steinle Murder
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:22 am 
ADMIN

I see a lot of hysterical OUTRAGE... Understandable given the publicity, and importance this case has been given over the 2 years since the killing, but......

Although I did not follow details of this case, I now see the fatal shot was a ricochet and so it is plausible, perhaps likely, that Zarate did not aim to hit Kate, let alone cause her death. Obviously I have no sympathy for a POS repeat illegal criminal... and personally I would not afort him citizen rights of a trial at all.... but given that the Judicial System is "softer" than me... and a trial was to be had... then MURDER as a charge seems to me to be an overcharge. This same mistake many prosecutors make... in high profile cases... an appeasement of the Mob.. to OVERCHARGE.
I do wonder if the Prosecution presentation may have been different, and the Jury more inclined to reach a guilty verdict if Involuntary Manslaughter had been the LEAD charge?
As I say... I dont have any sympathy for this perp... but in general I'd like to see Prosecutors paying the price of overcharging.. just to appease lynch mobs.

People are upset that Zarate's immigration status, and previous deportations for being an illegal alien were not allowed into the trial.... but THAT is normal Judicial process... Any crime is assessed on the evidence around that crime. IF this guy was to suffer penalty just for (repeat) immigration violations... that should have been done BEFORE this killing... That is kinda the point of Kate's law and tougher immigration enforcement generally.
His repeat flaunting of immigration law may well be considered when sentencing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 am 

Kate Steinleā€™s accused killer found not guilty of murder, to be deported
By Elizabeth Zwirz | FOX News | December 1, 2017

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was found not guilty Thursday of murdering Kate Steinle on Pier 14 in San Francisco in July 2015 in a case that sparked a heated national debate over illegal immigration and so-called sanctuary cities, and U.S. immigration officials said he will be deported.

Zarate was acquitted of first and second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. He also was found not guilty of assault with a semi-automatic weapon. He was found guilty of possessing a firearm by a felon. The jury had deliberated for six days.
[...]
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced late Thursday: "Following the conclusion of this case, ICE will work to take custody of Mr. Garcia Zarate and ultimately remove him from the country."

ICE Deputy Director Tom Homan added, "San Francisco's policy of refusing to honor ICE detainers is a blatant threat to public safety and undermines the rule of law. This tragedy could have been prevented if San Francisco had turned the alien over to ICE, as we requested, instead of releasing him back onto the streets."

In a response to the verdict, Attorney General Jeff Sessions released a statement saying that despite California's attempt at a murder conviction, Zarate was able to walk away with only a firearm possession conviction because he was not turned over by San Francisco to ICE.

"When jurisdictions choose to return criminal aliens to the streets rather than turning them over to federal immigration authorities, they put the public's safety at risk," the statement said. "San Francisco's decision to protect criminal aliens led to the preventable and heartbreaking death of Kate Steinle."

More at link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/30/ka ... urder.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm 
ADMIN

Martha MacCallum interviewed one of the ALTERNATIVE jurors

He seemed smart and serious and he outlined GOOD reasons why his fellow jurors in deliberation came up with not guilty verdict.

No details were discussed as to MURDER charge... which I have already mentioned was an OVER CHARGE from the get go (IMHO)

However... in regards MANSLAUGHTER... There are 2 requirements... action taken while committing a felony, and those actions likely to be likely cause the death.. as viewed by a reasonable person

Martha suggested that simply "in possesion of a firearm" was a felony crime, but the Juror stated that the instructions to the jury included the SPECIFIC crime of "Brandishing a firearm"... and there was ZERO evidence of Brandishing put into evidence. No witness description etc. So..... no evidence of specifically BRANDISHING... meant Manslaughter was not proven.

It sounded Kosher to me!

I repeat...
PROSECUTORS not only over charged ... as prosecutors do.... but they were so focused on a Guilty verdict for murder... they FAILED to even present the evidence required to prove Manslaughter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 pm 

Ed Lee, San Francisco mayor and 'sanctuary city' proponent, dead at 65

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... at-65.html