It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:14 pm 

WGN live coverage: http://wgntv.com/on-air/live-streaming-sc/

Manhunt continues for suspects in slaying of Fox Lake police officer

ChicagoTribune.com | September 1, 2015, 2:03PM
By Dan Hinkel, Dan Moran and Frank Abderholden

A massive manhunt with helicopters and camouflaged officers with high-powered guns continued Tuesday afternoon in Lake County after a Fox Lake police officer was shot and killed while chasing three suspects, authorities said.

The officer, who has not been identified, radioed shortly before 8 a.m. that while on routine patrol he was going to check on some suspicious activity, Lake County sheriff’s spokesman Chris Covelli said during a news conference.

He then radioed he was in a "foot pursuit" but communication was lost after that, Covelli said. Other officers responded and found him shot near Route 12 and Sayton Road, he said.

The officer was discovered in a marshy area, stripped of his gun and other gear, according to Lake County Undersheriff Raymond Rose. He died at the scene, the undersheriff said.

Police established a perimeter and sent helicopters into the air as they sought three suspects, described only as a black male and two white males, Rose said. Several canine units were also dispatched, as well as SWAT teams in camouflage.

More at link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-school-lockdown-20150901-story.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:42 pm 

Massive Manhunt Targets Suspects in Illinois Cop Killing
Police in helicopters, with dogs and armed with rifles were conducting a manhunt in northern Illinois on Tuesday after an officer was fatally shot.

NBCNews.com | September, 1, 2015, 11:05 PM ET

16 PHOTOS

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/massive-manhunt-targets-suspects-illinois-cop-killing-n419986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 pm 

Authorities in Illinois hunt for 3 in officer's slaying

The Associated Press
Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 9:45PM

Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz

FOX LAKE, Ill. — Police in helicopters, with dogs and armed with rifles were conducting a widespread manhunt in northern Illinois on Tuesday after an officer was fatally shot while pursuing a group of men.

An emotional Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit described the slain officer, Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, as a personal friend, a three-decade member of the department and a father of four sons.

“We lost a family member,” Schmit said. The 52-year-old officer was known around town as “GI Joe.” “His commitment to the people of this community has been unmatched and will be dearly missed.”

Authorities said Gliniewicz radioed in to tell dispatchers he was chasing three men on foot in the village of Fox Lake, 55 miles north of Chicago. Communication with him was lost soon after, Lake County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Christopher Covelli said.

“His backup arrived shortly thereafter and found him injured with a gunshot wound,” Covelli said. “The officer has succumbed to his injuries.”

Undersheriff Raymond Rose told the Chicago Tribune that the officer had been stripped of his gun and other equipment.

Less than an hour's drive from Chicago, the area is popular with boaters and for other outdoor pursuits because of its forest preserves and a chain of lakes that partly encircles Fox Lake. Some longtime city dwellers move to the region for what is normally a quieter lifestyle.

Authorities urged residents throughout the area to stay home while they conducted the search for three men, two of them white and the other black.

More at link: http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/9018311-74/officer-lake-fox#axzz3kY7PiPmf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:12 am 

Due to community concerns, the following Fox Lake area schools will be closed Wednesday, Sept. 2:

Grant Community High School District #124
Fox Lake Grade School District #114
Gavin School District #37
Gavin Central School
Gavin South School
Big Hollow School District #38
Saint Bede Catholic School

Village officials said the decision was in the best interests of the students, community and law enforcement.

The Lake County Sheriff's Dept. identified the slain officer as 52-year-old Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, a 32-year veteran of the force and married father of four sons in their teens and early 20s who was well-known and well-liked in the community. Lt. Gliniewicz went by his middle name, and was nicknamed "G.I. Joe."

Gliniewicz grew up in the Fox Lake area where he served as a peace officer, graduated from Antioch Community High School and obtained a Master's degree in criminal justice from Kaplan University. He was a leader of the Fox Lake Police Department Explorer Post, which helps mentor young people interested in careers in law enforcement, and an Army veteran who served in active duty and reserve from 1980 to 2007. He left the military with a rank of First Sergeant.

Gliniewicz had been married for 26 years and was to retire at the end of September. He met with Fox Lake's mayor Monday to talk about his retirement plans and ensure that the Explorers troop he led continued without him.

Source: http://abc7chicago.com/news/manhunt-underway-in-fox-lake-after-officer-killed/965033/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 am 

Maps of Search Area at Fox Lake, IL

star indicates where Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was killed, Sayton Rd. at Hwy 12.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 pm 

Woman charged after lying about spotting Fox Lake suspects in Volo, authorities say

ABC7Chicago.com
By Jade Hernandez | September 3, 2015, 11:06AM

Kristin Kiefer, charged with two counts of
disorderly conduct for falsifying a police report.
One of those charges is a felony.

VOLO, Ill. (WLS) -- A 30-year-old woman is charged with filing a false police report after she lied about spotting the suspects in the Fox Lake murder of Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, authorities said.

Kristin Kiefer's claim prompted a massive five-hour search in Volo and Lakemoor overnight.

A woman's claim about spotting the men wanted in Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz's murder in Fox Lake prompted a massive five-hour search in nearby Volo.

The Lake County sheriff's office said Kiefer told officers she pulled over at Rt. 12 and Rt. 120 in Volo for car trouble on Wednesday night. She alleged that two men, one white and one black, who were in a cornfield approached her and tried to steal her car. She said they ran away.

Nearly 100 state and local law enforcement authorities searched the area along with 11 canine and three air units from around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday until around 2:30 a.m. Thursday. Nothing was found.
[...]
A judge set Kiefer's bond at $100,000 on Thursday. She is due in court on Sept. 10.

More at link: http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-charged-after-lying-about-spotting-fox-lake-suspects-authorities-say/967998/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:00 pm 

I wonder if this was done to distract LE or if she is simply a complete idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:52 pm 

Hi Carm :28

This is what she claims.

Authorities said Kiefer later admitted to fabricating the entire story because she wanted attention from the family that she nannies for.

But I would tag on "idiot" also ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:32 pm 

Police may have video of killers of Illinois cop

FOXNEWS.com
By Cody Derespina | September 3, 2015

Police hunting the killers of an Illinois cop may have caught a break when a resident in the area of the murder turned over security footage that could have captured the individuals responsible.

George Filenko, commander of the Lake County Major Task Force, said during a Thursday afternoon press conference that a “private resident” turned over “home video security footage” Wednesday night that allegedly showed “individuals” in the area where Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was shot and killed Tuesday morning.

The suspects have been described only in vague terms so far as a black male and two white males. That description is based on what Gliniewicz radioed to his dispatcher before he was killed.

Filenko twice described the development as “significant,” and said the footage had been turned over to the Department of Homeland Security.

“Homeland Security has got advanced equipment,” Filenko said. “This video in particular is on a particular type of hard drive that they have the technology to retrieve it off of.”

More at link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/03/police-may-have-video-illinois-cop-killers/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm 

They also recovered a Officer Gliniewicz gun, that is very good news. Three subhumans that need to be tethered in a swamp for however long it takes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:29 am 

The video seems promising and the talk is that they are locals.

It seems that they are not releasing whether Gliniewicz was shot with his own gun or not.

I am thinking of going to his service on Monday, I didn't know him but I will definitely know people there and probably some who knew him.

I would feel odd going since I didn't know him but they would like the community to show up in support of LE and the family. I had a boatload of friends who went to Antioch High school which is where his visitation is being held on Labor day.

I hope that they have caught the perps by then. I am wondering if they have a pretty good idea who they are but don't want to spook them since they are still in the area. Someone has to be helping them, they are not three teenagers hiding out in fishing shanties, they are very likely being harbored by misguided family members or friends in the area. School was in session so I would guess known drug dealers and drug users who were absent are being looked at. Local small time drug dealer will be one of the three is my guess.

My best guess is that given the possible racial mix and the "suspicious activity" that it was a drug deal. Possibly the quick assessment by Gliniewicz as to race was not 100% accurate. Fox Lake is mostly white and more middle class with some upper class and a few seedy spots. Round Lake right next to Fox Lake is much seedier and racially diverse.

The whole area is a nightmare to search.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:29 pm 

Manhunt continues for 3 men suspected of killing officer in Fox Lake

WGNTV.com | Sept 7, 2015, 12:55PM
By Adrienne Balow, Judy Wang & Erik Runge

FOX LAKE, Ill. - Hundreds of police officers spent the weekend in Fox Lake looking for new evidence and leads in the murder of Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz. Monday is day six of the manhunt for the three men suspected of fatally shooting the veteran officer last Tuesday.

Investigators say they are waiting to see if images of the suspects were caught on surveillance video a resident handed over to police last week. "Significant" evidence recovered at the scene Friday is still being evaluated.

The FBI took the unusual step Saturday of using Twitter to ask for help in the case. The agency sent a tweet asking for new leads in the investigation. They are also encouraging people to call a special (800) phone number to report information. That number is (800) CALL-FBI (225-5324) or tips can be sent to http://www.fbi.gov/foxlake.

Over the weekend, members of the Lake County Sheriff's office were appointed to lead the Fox Lake Police Department.

More at link: http://wgntv.com/2015/09/07/manhunt-continues-in-fox-lake/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:27 am 

I went to Lt. Gliniewicz viewing today. It was an open casket.

I didn't stay for the service because I had my dad with me. I am not up much to talking about it but I'll say this, the perps will be caught, GI Joe was the real deal, the media is way under reporting turnout for Lt. Gliniewcz, the streets were lined with love, there were huge American flags on the road, the boys on two came to support the boys of blue.

One story; several officer's told me that they love the picture of G.I. Joe where he is smiling in the front of his cruiser and looking back. They said that is the exact look the perps in the back seat got. Smiling Joe.

And just to toot Joe's horn a little louder, of his Explorer group members, (young folks interested in becoming law enforcement or going into the military), after spending time with Joe his kids have a 70% enrollment rate into LE or the military. If anyone walked the walk it was Joe. Monsters took a good man from this earth, from his wife and from his boys, payment is due.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:51 pm 

Hi Carm!

Thank you for the personal observation of the viewing for Lt. Gliniewicz and what all you learned about G.I. Joe :)

A sort of "you'd have to be there" kind of thing, to feel and know the amount of support. I can only imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:21 pm 

Men seen in video cleared in Illinois officer's death

USA TODAY
By John Bacon | September 8, 2015, 2:45PM ET

Three men seen on video surveillance near the site where an Illinois police officer was killed last week were not involved in the shooting, Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Commander George Filenko said Tuesday.

Investigators also were trying to find a match for DNA evidence collected from the scene, Filenko said at a news conference in the northern Illinois town of Fox Lake.

Filenko said investigators interviewed the three men and were confident they had nothing to do with the death of Fox Lake Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz, 52, who was found dead about 50 yards from his patrol car Sept. 1. There was no camera in the patrol car, Filenko added.

Federal, state and local law enforcement officials have been following up on almost 200 tips, Filenko said. He said he doesn't think the killers have fled the area.

"A comfort zone for anyone committing a crime, surprisingly, is not to flee to Canada or Mexico," Filenko said. "The tendency is to hide in place."

More at link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/08/men-seen-video-cleared-illinois-officers-death/71882972/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 am 

They have transfer DNA. First responders have been ruled out for the DNA. I hope it is only a matter of time. This is not going to be a snitches get stitches situation, someone who knows what happened is going to come forward for the reward. Fox Lake is very middle class, the surrounding towns, RoundLake, Round Lake Beach , Ingleside all have lower incomes and IMO are much seedier. Any which way I believe the reward is going to be claimed by someone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:16 pm 

Hi Carm! :69

I am also hopeful the DNA is the beginning to the end.

I often wonder if they know more than they are telling and closer than we know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:18 pm 

Coroner: Illinois police officer killed by single gunshot

Macon.com, The Telegraph
AP - September 9, 2015

WAUKEGAN, ILL. - An Illinois police officer found dead last week after telling dispatchers that he was pursuing three suspicious men suffered a "single devastating" gunshot wound, according to a coroner who said Wednesday that he can't yet rule whether the death was a homicide, suicide or accident.

[...]
Lake County coroner Dr. Thomas Rudd said Wednesday that while he has determined the cause of Gliniewicz's death, he needs the findings of the Lake County Major Crime Task Force to rule on its nature.

"I don't know the manner of death yet, whether it was a homicide, suicide or an accident," Rudd said.

"I can't give you that because I don't have the evidence that the police have finalized," he added.

More at link: [url]Read more here: http://www.macon.com/news/nation-world/ ... 02186.html[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:28 pm 

((((Molly))))

Coroner: Fox Lake officer died of single gunshot wound

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:50 pm 

I've read quite a few articles on this today, many opinion pieces. This is a good article with opinion and many facts, and where the case seems to be currently. I quoted only a small portion of the article. Reserving my opinion until some of the tests are released.

Secrecy and feuds mar Fox Lake police death case

Chicago Tribune
By John Kass | September 16, 2015

en Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz's body was found more than two weeks ago now, in the marsh grass in a semirural area, it instantly became national news.

His was the latest in a string of police killings across the country, so some 400 cops fanned out in Fox Lake, with six helicopters overhead, police dogs hunting for the suspected killer or killers.

As that happened, a retired Chicago police lieutenant with two sons now on the job talked to me about the feelings among police, about the shootings and anti-police protests and the sense that they were all under siege.

But a couple of days later, he called me again, saying simply, "I've got a feeling there's something wrong with this one."

[...]
The tragedy is that it's been more than two weeks since Gliniewicz's body was found and there is still no definitive word whether it was murder or a suicide.

The Tribune reported this week that the death investigation was being conducted as a homicide — but also as a possible suicide. Yet even the slightest mention of suicide infuriates local cops and his grieving family.

Complicating matters is that, oddly, ballistics results on Gliniewicz's gun have not yet been returned, nor has a gunshot residue test, said a spokesman for the task force. Two weeks at the lab in the death of a police officer?

The task force spokesman also would not answer questions about how close the gun was to Gliniewicz's chest when it was fired, or even if the fatal shot came from the lieutenant's own gun.

More at link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-john-kass-fox-lake-met-0917-20150916-column.html