It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 pm 

Unforeseen complications delay Fox Lake officer's death investigation

By Craig Wall | SEP 18 2015 07:29PM CDT

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - A critical meeting between investigators and the coroner in the case involving the shooting death of Fox Lake Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz is finally about to happen. It could mean the task force is a step closer to determining how he was killed.

But FOX 32 News has learned that there have been unforeseen complications in critical ballistics tests that have delayed the investigation. Lake County Sheriff’s Detective Chris Covelli confirms that the Northeastern Illinois Crime lab was unable to do all the necessary ballistics test, requiring that some highly sophisticated camera equipment be brought in from another lab to conduct additional tests to make sure nothing is missed.

Those tests are focused on reconstructing the trajectory of the bullet that killed Gliniewicz, as well as the distance from which it was likely fired. Tests are still also being done on the bullet that killed the officer.

Law enforcement sources have said the fatal shot was fired in a downward motion from the top of Gliniewicz's bullet proof vest. He was found face down and his gun about two feet away. Police have not disclosed if it was the gun used to kill him, saying that's part of the ballistic tests they are still waiting on. They also have not disclosed the caliber of the bullet that was recovered from Gliniewicz’s body.

Next week, Lake County Coroner Dr. Thomas Rudd will have his first face-to-face meetings, first with the task force commander, George Filenko, and then with other investigators.

More at link: http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/21619159-story

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:52 pm 

I can't access the Kass article it says that I have to sign up or get a subscription.

I respect Kass, he is generally solid.

Never mind I got through to the article.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:59 pm 

Officials Reveal 'New Details' in Fox Lake Investigation

NBC Chicago | By Natalie Martinez | Updated, September 22, 2015

Officials on Monday said that gunshot residue and ballistic tests done during the investigation into a veteran Fox Lake, Illinois, police officer's shooting "do not support or exclude any theory."

The reports came in Monday morning, just as authorities were scheduled to meet following reports that they were at odds in their investigation, according to task force spokesman Chris Covelli.

Covelli said they are still investigating the shooting as a "homicide," based on Fox Lake police lieutenant Joseph Gliniewicz's radio call that he was pursuing three suspicious suspects just before his death and the fact that a canine managed to trace a path from the crime scene.

Covelli addressed DNA evidence found at the scene, which investigators earlier reported did not match Gliniewicz. He said the DNA is currently being analyzed against a database of all convicted felons along with anyone interviewed during the process of the investigation.

More at link (video): http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Officials-to-Reveal-New-Details-on-Fox-Lake-Investigation-328562781.html

Carm :28 , Covelli's first statement in the video is both surprising and confusing (to me). :40

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:11 pm 

And the mystery continues ...

VIDEO: K-9 trail from where Fox Lake Police Lt. Gliniewicz shot, killed

Northwest Herald | Sept. 22, 2015 8:54AM CDT

FOX LAKE — During a news conference Monday, Lake County Sheriff’s Detective Chris Covelli discusses the K-9 trail leading from the crime scene where Fox Lake Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz died.

Video: http://www.nwherald.com/2015/09/22/video-k-9-trail-from-where-fox-lake-police-lt-gliniewicz-shot-killed/adgxtq1/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 am 

Hi Molly :69 (Started this last night and fell asleep :roll )

I have to say that I agree with Kass that something here is not passing the sniff test. I can't put my finger on it but there is a piece of the puzzle that is not being released. First reports were that Gliniewizc gun, radio and belt were missing, none of which seems to be true. HIs gun was found two feet from him. Two shots one to the vest and one above the vest neckline and into the cavity of Gleniwicz's chest

Fox Lake was under going a shake up due to perceived corruption.

The reason given for this investigation to be continued as a homicide is that he called in the 3 suspects. That means the manner which Joe was shot is not inconsistent with a suicide, because if it was they would say, the manner in which Joe was shot is inconsistent with a suicide.

It could at this point be a very elaborate suicide. Live as a hero die as a hero mentality.

Nothing that has been done so far has ruled out a suicide, if it could be ruled out it would be ruled out.That says to me GI Joe had GSR on his hands. LE knows if it was Joe's gun which killed him. Foreign DNA at the scene? Until more is known about this it really is meaningless. The dog who caught a trail leaving the scene is a vote in the opposite direction. But again what was the trail? Where did it lead? How much did the trainer subconsciously lead the dog given it was a fellow beloved officer down.

The fact that the three suspects are not on any of the multiple videos including DOT video which is everywhere is disconcerting. There is no car driving anywhere in the scene fast, erratically no three men (who have not been accounted for) with the racial profile getting in a car, walking, running, splitting up, nothing.

As to the 3 chaps walking around an abandoned area racial make up being 2 whites and 1 at 8 in the morning also begs some questions.

Something isn't right.

I was in Antioch last night and stopped in the Walgreens next to the school where Joe went to school and where they had his public viewing. I asked the lady at WG if there had been any progress in Joe's case. She said "Just the same double talk. I just wish they would tell the family."

I'm not making a call one way or the other, I know what I observed at the funeral, I know what the towns people are whispering, I know where the public release of information seems to be pointed. But I wasn't there. The evidence released is not conclusive. I do know something is off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:27 pm 

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015 ... 150929643/

K-9 tracks gunshot residue a quarter-mile from Gliniewicz shooting scene

Just more hmmm....

The dog handler suffered heat exhaustion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:18 pm 

Hi Carm :28

Yes, it is getting more complicated, and I think the (lack of) DNA finding is going to drag this out much longer. :(

Covelli said the task force collected DNA from the scene to be run against samples from known offenders in a national database. Authorities have not yet found the source of the DNA.

The Lake County Major Crimes Task Force also has collected DNA samples from nearly 80 members of the public since the investigation began and is comparing those samples with what was found at the scene, Covelli said.

"What I can tell you is there was unknown (source of) DNA located at several locations at the scene, more than just one," he said.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 pm 

:69 Molly!

It is a very perplexing case. I wish I was friends with an officer in the area.

If two shots were fired at the scene why would suicide not be ruled out. Do they really think it would be possible for Joe to shoot himself in the vest at close range and then shoot himself above his vest ? I t makes no sense a shot to the vest at that close range would be like a mule kick. So why don't they rule out suicide?

Maybe they caught the perps and applied swamp justice, that is one place a body or three would never be found. But then why no video anywhere of matching perps? Every thought has a question attached to it.

Something is just off kilter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:42 pm 

Oh, I totally agree with what you are saying about the two shots. I'm going to see if I can find out if the medical examiner is talking, after getting to meet with the task force on Monday.

and ..

The tests that were FINALLY returned. :40

"Gunshot residue and ballistic tests do not support or exclude any specific theory in this investigation."

.. or words to that effect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:40 pm 

Officials to Provide New Information in Fox Lake Investigation Thursday

NBCChicago.com | September 30, 2015

After weeks of remaining silent, Fox Lake officials will to give an update in the investigation into a veteran police officer's fatal shooting Thursday.

On Thursday, Chief George Filenko, Commander of the Lake County Major Crime Task Force and Detective Christopher Covelli, Public Information Officer for the Lake County Sheriff’s Office will be holding a press conference at 10 a.m.

Police said they will "provide limited new information" in the investigation.

More at link: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Officials-New-Information-Fox-Lake-Investigation-330048311.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:04 pm 

HI Molly :69

I look forward to the new release of "limit information." I talked with my friend who is a retired police chief and he firmly believes it was 3 locals who made way to a safety zone in the area.

He said anything is possible but he leans toward 3 thugs he also points his finger right at Obama's demonizing officers. He said the likely scenario is Joe pulled up on the 3, they moved out of site Joe upholstered his gun followed them into the swamp and was ambushed.

FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:45 pm 

Fox Lake officer was shot with his own weapon, commander says

WGNtv.com | October 1, 2015, 12:37PM
By AP, Charles Hayes and Tahman Bradley

FOX LAKE, Ill. — There are several new developments in the investigation into the death of Fox Lake Police Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz.

The lead investigator revealed on Thursday the fallen officer was shot twice with his own weapon, and there were signs of a struggle at the scene. The first shot knocked him out, and the second one is believed to have killed him. No word, though, on how the gun went off.

Authorities also disclosed they have recovered nine pieces of unknown DNA from the scene. One of those samples has already been confirmed as belonging to a male.

They also believe Gliniewicz was at the scene 20 minutes before he radioed that he saw three men, two white and one black.

More at link (videos): http://wgntv.com/2015/10/01/9-unidentified-dna-samples-found-where-fox-lake-officer-died/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:42 pm 

More useless double speak from the PTB

The first shot knocked him out, and the second one is believed to have killed him.

How did he knock himself out and then shoot himself? Eh? Double tap because he tripped and there was a perfect storm of sequences? Something is just rotten here, the location Joe was shot was not between his home and work, (Joe was on his way to work from home).

Evidence that he was at the scene for 20 minutes before he radioed in?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 pm 

Hi Carm :28

Yes, the lack of information was disappointing. The article says suicide has not been ruled out, so the results of the two shots from his gun, is senseless, until they say suicide was not the cause of death.

This is just a guess on the 20 minutes he was at that location before calling in -- how they know, not what he was doing. If he had a cell phone or GPS in his car, this may have shown the time lapse.

Did you happen to listen to the vid in the article on the results of the GSR tests from "several" agencies? It's about a minute long. If so, I need a translation please ... I have listened to it three times and still asking WTF? :40

I'll look for current news. :69

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:59 pm 

I didn't listen but I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:22 pm 

My take, the short of of the GSR tests is that Joe's hands tested positive for GSR but that doesn't necessarily mean that he shot his gun during the incident that morning. He could have shot at the perps, he could have shot himself, (accidentally in the vest, knocking himself out then miraculously and fatally shot himself above his vest) <<<on which I call total bullshit. Also the GSR report gives room for the fact that Joe could have shot his gun earlier in the day or late the day before.

The poor son stating that someone contemplating suicide does't make plans for the future is just wrong, I knew a guy, a doctor, well respected in the community, he went and had his hair cut, wrote checks to pay his bills but stamps on the envelopes put the "outgoing" mailbox upside-down over the bills so as not to get blood on them then proceeded to shoot himself in the head. The suicidal mind is really a terrible unknown.

That doesn't mean I think Joe committed suicide, I think the scenario which LE states must have taken place in order for Joe to have committed suicide is 10 shades of folly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 pm 

I totally agree with you, Carm. Imagine that. :D

The GSR on the hands could also be if he grabbed his chest as the first "mule kick" shot knocked him down. Who knows?

I've been searching for more updated news, the articles more recent say the same thing as two days ago.

The MOST resent is basically an Op-Ed showing the author's frustration with the investigation. :eek

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/7/71/1007740/editorial-call-fbi-solve-case-slain-fox-lake-cop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:21 pm 

New details emerge in Fox Lake; possible connection to fallen officer

BY Mark Suppelsa | WGNTV.com | October 13, 2015

FOX LAKE, Ill. -- There is new information out of Fox Lake, where it has been six weeks since the death of Lt. Joe Gliniewicz.

WGN Investigates has learned that the village sought approval to pay more than $25,000 to a private detective agency to investigate its former chief of police.

The chief was placed on paid administrative leave after a village administrator started questioning what she called lax discipline of another officer.

That officer was accused of verbally and physically abusing a man in custody. The incident happened in December, but the village review didn't begin until eight months later.

The chief resigned after being put on leave. Two days later Gliniewicz was asked by that administrator to help with an internal police review.

The next day, Gliniewicz died after being shot twice with his own weapon.

More at link: http://wgntv.com/2015/10/13/new-details-emerge-in-fox-lake-possible-connection-to-fallen-officer/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 pm 

Police: Conclusions in Gliniewicz Case Could be Revealed Soon
By Amie Schaenzer | Patch.com | October 20, 2015

There have been few details revealed in recent weeks surrounding the investigation into the Sept. 1 shooting death of Fox Lake Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz.

But, that could soon change. George Filenko, task force commander for the Lake County Major Crimes Unit, told ABC 7 that conclusions in the case could be coming in the next couple weeks. He estimates the case will be completely closed by the end of November.

“I think what we are looking at here is at least a finding by the coroner’s office,” Filenko told ABC 7. “I’ve been in contact with Dr. Rudd, our coroner, continuously, sometimes several times a week discussing the case. We have been working in unison, he has been extremely cooperative.”

Source: http://patch.com/illinois/grayslake/police-conclusions-gliniewicz-case-could-be-revealed-soon-0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:26 pm 

Some Details Still 'Classified' In Fox Lake Police Shooting
By Katie Finlon | Northern Public Radio | October 26, 2015, 8:50AM

It’s been almost two months since Fox Lake Police Lieutenant Joseph Gliniewicz was shot on duty.
[...]
WNIJ checked in with Chris Covelli, who is the Lake County Sheriff’s spokesman.

“One of the rounds hit his bullet-proof vest in the lower-right region of the bullet-proof vest,” Covelli said. “That specific area where he was shot, being shot in the bullet-proof vest, was described as being somewhat near the equivalent of being hit with a sledgehammer.”

Covelli says the other shot, which was in Gliniewicz’s upper chest region, was the one that killed him.

Covelli says there was gunshot residue found on Gliniewicz’s hands, but it’s unclear whether the residue was from Gliniewicz’s gun.

Asked how far the gun was from Gliniewicz’s body, Covelli says that information is classified.

“There’s certain information that -- if it gets out there -- when we speak to or interview anybody in connection with this investigation,” Covelli said, "we need to insure the information we’re receiving from them is first-hand information, versus information that they’ve heard through others or they’ve heard directly through the media."

Source: http://northernpublicradio.org/post/some-details-still-classified-fox-lake-police-shooting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next