It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:03 pm 

Fox Lake Officials Expected to Announce Officer's Death Believed to Be a Suicide
NBC Chicago | November 3, 2015, 2:44PM

At a Wednesday press conference investigators are expected to announce that they believe veteran Fox Lake police officer Lieutenant Joseph Gliniewicz committed suicide, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the findings.

The update is expected to come at 10 a.m., Lake County officials said Tuesday. The briefing will reveal what led investigators to their conclusion.

After reports about the content of Wednesday’s press conference began to surface, the Lake County Sheriff’s Office released a statement.

EDITOR'S NOTE: NBC Chicago will live stream the press conference right here at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

More at link (videos): http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Fox-Lake-Officials-to-Reveal-Significant-New-Information-in-Investigation-into-Officers-Death-339944352.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:12 pm 

Thanks Molly, I haven't talked to anyone from the area and to my shame hadn't really thought about Officer Gliniewicz lately. When John Kass said that something was off the best guess was suicide, along with some things I heard from the locals and the condition of Joe's body. Damn, there are better ways to do it Joe, ways that would not have put an entire community on the edge and your family in the spotlight. Suicide is a terrible death and who knows if he was thinking at all, except that his family would think he died the way he lived fighting the bad guys, but damn damn damn .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:15 pm 

Fox Lake officer's death to be ruled suicide: law enforcement sources

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html

My guess is that the chest shot did not occur when Joe was wearing his vest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm 

Fox Lake cop stole from youth program, shot himself: officials
By Dan Hinkel and Lauren Zumbach | Chicago Tribune | November 4, 2015, 2:46PM

Upending the portrayal of Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz as a hero cop tragically gunned down in the line of duty just before his planned retirement, authorities on Wednesday said the Fox Lake officer died in a suicide he staged as it became clear he could face consequences for years of criminal behavior.

At a news conference, Lake County Major Crime Task Force Cmdr. George Filenko said Gliniewicz, 52, shot himself in a "carefully staged suicide" designed to look like a murder after he had engaged in "extensive criminal acts."

Gliniewicz ran the village's Explorers program, which gave youths interested in policing exposure to the field, and he had been stealing and laundering money for years, Filenko said. Gliniewicz stole a dollar amount in the five figures and used the money for personal expenses, including mortgage payments, travel and adult websites, Filenko said.
[...]
On Wednesday, authorities laid out the stunning details of what they believed happened.

Gliniewicz staged his death by leaving a trail of his equipment around the scene to try to mislead investigators, Filenko said. He fired a shot into his protective vest and aimed a second, fatal bullet beneath his vest in his upper torso, Filenko said. With the help of FBI behavioral experts, authorities concluded he'd shot himself, in part because he was not dragged after being shot and there were no physical signs he'd fought for his life.

More at link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-cop-suicide-20151104-story.html

PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO: 11:25min
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-fox-lake-cop-press-conference-video-20151104-embeddedvideo.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:11 pm 

Hi Carm :28

This is so tragic. After listening to the presser, I have a feeling it has been known since early on. Guessing after they called off the search. You were right from the beginning. I feel for the people living in the area who were affected by the constant fear during the search period. And the wife and children, OMG. Just too sad to make sense of it all. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am 

Honestly I am so pissed about Joe and his bullshit masquerade, pissed that he made people live in fear of 3 cop killers, pissed that he has given ammunition to BLM, pissed that his brother LE didn't come clean sooner. I have the feeling the corruption at Fox Lake goes very deep.

I do believe that for the first few hours the Fox Lake LE really didn't know exactly what had happened and given Joe called in a pursuit FL LE had to pursue that lead.

That said Joe was supposed to be on his way to work from home but where Joe was was not in between his home and work, and he called in suspicious activity? Eh, no LE says, possible breaking and entry, possible drug deal, not some nebulous "Suspicious activity."

I think pretty early on that Fox Lake LE knew what happened. Joe's funeral was very odd, there was no talk by LE (that I remember) of anyone paying for Joe's death or vows of getting the perpetrators. Plus they talked about their "Battle buddies" but I cringe and digress.

Round Lake Chief George Filenko just said that it was only over the last two weeks that they believed Joe’s death was a suicide and they changed their mind because of new information that came through in a bank/paper trail and recovered texts. I call BS, I believe that they knew from very close to the first hours. Forensics determined suicide a long time ago you little liar.

Joe knew that he was caught for embezzlement, he was going to be exposed as a fraud, GI Joe was going to prison, the police chief knew Joe was caught. No way no how that suddenly 6500 texts and a bank trail makes them realize “Oh, this is a suicide!” IMO the information about the embezzlement was going to go public so LE finally had to come clean about the suicide.

There was GSR inside of Joe’s vest to the extent that they knew that the muzzle of Joe’s gun was inside his vest when he was shot. There was GSR on Joe’s hands, they knew Joe was shot with his own gun. Keep in mind it was days before LE said, “Oh what no? Did we say Joe’s gun was missing?” “It was right there next to his body all along”

Nope, I believe this would have gone down as an unsolved homicide if there had not been the public outpouring of support for Joe which turned out to be a double edged sword as it was followed by public scrutiny. This one is going to run very deep.

And sadly it is going to be used as a tool by the BLM. The LSM will say see the BLM are not encouraging people to kill cops this one incident was not their fault thereby (liberal logic) no cop killing is their fault.

I am also pretty certain that Joe's wife knew about his embezzlement and the pending charges, an exact figure hasn’t been released to the public yet but the documentation so far is that Joe's theft was in the six figure digits, that is a lot of money to hide from a spouse. Two others people are still under active investigation so there is still not a lot of information being let out.

Joe was a dirtbag masquerading as a hero. I still feel deeply sorry for his sons. Someone wrote LIAR over Joe’s face on one of his memorial signs. I hope his son’s don’t suffer for the sins of their father.

Also interesting is that Joe’s wife has not applied for his benefits yet, if Joe had died in the line of duty she would have received 100% of his benefits as it is she is likely to receive 75%.

The only way to lose his pension would be if Joe was indicted on a felony. Had he lived Joe would have been indicted on a felony. So right now it seems to me the legal benefits from Joe’s death are likely in some sort of limbo even though I think his wife's attorney or the Fox Lake spokesman has said there is no reason that Joe’s wife should not receive the 75%. I think that might be a bit of a battle given Joe acted with malfeasance and fraud when he committed suicide, you can’t indict a dead man. Also "Explorers" the group Joe stole from can sue his estate, I don't know what the law on pensions is in IL but his pension may be untouchable by a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:47 am 

Here we go, Joe's wife and son under investigation.

Dead Fox Lake cop's wife, son under investigation

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1 ... cop-killed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:07 pm 

Police Charity To Ask Joe Gliniewicz Family For Money Back

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/04/ ... oney-back/

CHICAGO (CBS) — When Fox Lake Lt. Joe Gliniewicz died on Sept. 1, a charitable organization that comes to the aid of families of police officers gave his widow $15,000.

Now, the 100 Club is going to ask for the money back, after an investigation found Gliniewicz was stealing money from a police youth training program, before he killed himself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:37 pm 

Thank you for the links, Carm, and your heartfelt narrative.

Surely he had insurance to help pay back the money.

I haven't caught up yet, with the most recent news, but will. :)

:69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:05 am 

This is a copy and paste from over at the Tree;

For anyone still following the Gliniewicz case do you think that we are ever going to get the whole story? One of the earliest reports said that the figure being looked at was 6 figures, yet Joe’s texts are talking about a $3000.00 balance in one of the Explorer accounts. The police chief resigned a day before Gliniewicz’s death and there are long standing allegations of wide spread corruption in the Fox Lake PD.

It does seem that Gliniewicz was not too bright, or simply corrupt, brazen and arrogant because it appears that he never had a plan to be able to pass on his position to someone else. Gliniewicz was worried about taking a new job because the next person would see what was going on and Gliniewicz’s embezzling would have been exposed. I am suspicious that every trail is going to be curtailed to Gliniewicz to buy other corrupt cops a free pass. Gliniewicz was dirty, dirtier than is being widely reported it seems.

Also Joe shot himself in the chest but it hit his cell phone and bullet proof jacket yet he still maintained control of his gun and still managed to get the muzzle of his gun inside his vest after essentially taking a mule kick to the gut or chest depending on which version of the first shot is true to shoot himself a second time?

Death of Fox Lake cop divides Illinois village

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/us/fox-la ... index.html

IMO something is still not right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:13 am 

And another;

I’m not sure though, if it was done just to get rid of him, why the culprits would want to make sure the suicide angle were made public. why not just let him r.i.p.?

Her name is Anne Marrin and she was going to expose the whole gig, the whole thing was only a couple of days away from being brought to the attention of the public before “LE” announced that Joe committed suicide. At this point it became more beneficial to anyone who is corrupt at Fox Lake LE to have every sin of the department to be dropped at the feet of Gliniewicz who was after all guilty of embezzlement.

Gliniewicz was dirty I don’t think that is a question how many other sins are going to be dumped into the Gliniewicz crime wave? I still have a hard time with Gliniewicz shooting himself in the vest and having the wherewithal to then shoot himself in the chest. But if the GSR on his hands is true I would ted toward suicide. It is Gliniewicz voice calling in the suspicious activity and for back up.

Gliniewicz certainly deserves to be called a betrayer, dirty and a fraud but he was not allowed to behave in this way in a vacuum. I am just skeptical of everything landing in Glimiewicz lap thereby trying to end the investigation. The hit Gliniewicz supposedly was looking into is based on sketchy evidence.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/us/fox-la ... index.html

And suddenly we are hearing about Gliniewicz and a sexual misconduct suit?

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicag ... -years-ago

Really ? LE didn’t say from the beginning we are stepping because there are a few question here. Everything suddenly coming out seems terribly convenient for any other corrupt LE in Fox Lake.

I haven’t read the accounts of Gliniewicz boozing it up to the point of blacking out often but that would not necessarily be frowned on in that area nor impact his hero status in a negative way. It could very well be a chance for a good guffaw for days afterward. It’s cultural thing.

I do agree that they are trying to vilify Gliniewicz. At this point he is a dead dirty cop who stole none from children, understood, Gliniewicz was corrupt and abused his power, why the desire to bring everything else out when he has 3 innocent boys who will certainly suffer from the vilification of their dad. My uneasy speculation is that every dirty deed committed over the last 10 years by anyone in the Fox Lake department is going to be laid at the feet of Gliniewicz.

IMO there is one alternative to the suicide, Gliniewicz was there with someone, (remember he was not where he should have been and he was there for at least 20 minutes before he first radioed in) perhaps a discussion was had and it was decided that Gliniewicz would continue down the hero path by being shot in the line of duty, so he took the hit to the vest and the other person unilaterally thought it would be even more convenient for Gliniewicz to tell no tales. <<< This is a purely speculative scenario based on my distrust of how the how case was handled, the long standing belief of wide spread corruption and the deluge of evidence that is suddenly being released abut Gliniewicz and the lie perpetuated by LE that Gliniewicz gun was missing.

I still believe if it were not for Marrin and the embezzlement coming to light this would be classified as an open homicide investigation.

(Sorry for the long post :( ) you are correct about the pension. Mel was eligible for 100% when believed that Gliniewicz was murdered, now she is eligible for 75%, I think it is going to enter murky legal waters because although Gliniewicz was not convicted of a felony there is evidence that he did commit a felony and his death in and of itself as a suicide is a crime, a crime committed with malfeasance and with the goal of his wife benefiting from Gliniewicz’s fraud. I think Mel is going to have to fight for it, I doubt that is a battle she will choose, more likely she will give it up as part of a plea bargain in her pending co conspirator embezzlement charges. I think it is curious that she has as of yet not applied for her husbands pension. Keep in mind she already has her own attorney.

And since this post even more dirt on Joe has "come out"

FOX LAKE'S LT. GLINIEWICZ MAY HAVE ARRANGED 'SHAM MARRIAGE' BETWEEN SON, MISTRESS, REPORT SAYS

http://abc7chicago.com/news/gliniewicz- ... s/1071246/

And this

LT. GLINIEWICZ'S PERSONNEL FILE PAINTS HIM AS CHRONIC WOMANIZER, DRUNK

http://abc7chicago.com/news/lt-gliniewi ... k/1072437/

So either the Fox Lake Police are the most incompetent force rolling to have allowed Gliniewicz to roll on and on or they are thoroughly corrupt and before they are through with Gliniewicz he will be Hitleresque.

Joe was a dirty cop, he committed suicide or was duped into his own murder by someone he trusted, I don't think that we will ever know the full truth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:17 am 

And what are the chances of Gliniewicz shooting his own cell phone? This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm 

It is likely that Gliniewizc's wife will not get his pension. Good. Melodie Gliniewicz has as of yet (as far as I know) not even applied for it.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015 ... 151109008/

I was down there today and only saw 4 blue ribbons everything else is down or defaced. The articles show the GI Joe with the blue Solo cups was still up but as of today even that has been replaced with R PLEDGE not sure where they are going with that but just a few days ago it still read GI Joe.
Even the sign in front of the PD is defaced, I don't know if they finally took it down or if they are allowing it to remain in order to appease the community.

I wonder how deep the corruption goes. I think most of the LE there are good a couple of years ago a letter was sent to the Mayor and some one else (can't remember who) it specifically called Joe out as corrupt along with the chief, and was said to represent 20 officers. No one was willing to go against the chief or at least that is what I am understanding the story to be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 pm 

the mom in me feels so bad for the kids with the backlash they'll have to deal with, yet a cop stealing from kids program he is administering raises question of were kids released from a hidden hell with Glinewitz death regardless of how it came about?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:42 am 

Bank freezes account with donations to Fox Lake cop's family
By Lauren Zumbach | Chicago Tribune | November 11, 2015, 5:05PM

A bank account set up to collect funds for the family of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz has been frozen while police investigate the officer's death, now believed to be a suicide, and years of criminal activity he allegedly feared would come to light.

The fund was set up before the Lake County Major Crime Task Force ruled Gliniewicz's Sept. 1 death a suicide and announced that he allegedly stole thousands of dollars from the Explorer youth police training program he ran, during a time when the officer was widely lauded as a community hero.

BMO Harris Bank spokesman Patrick O'Herlihy confirmed Wednesday that the funds were being held "pending the results of the police investigation."

It's not clear how much money is being held or who will determine what happens to it, as O'Herlihy said he could not answer questions about the account during the investigation.
[...]
While there was a Fox Lake police officer who sold T-shirts honoring Gliniewicz to benefit the family, it was not an official village fundraiser, Covelli said. According to records from an October meeting of the village's Fire & Police Commission, the shirts raised $126,000.
[...]
Joe Ahern, CEO of the 100 Club, said last week he handed Gliniewicz's widow a check for $15,000 at a vigil shortly after his death. Normally, that would have been followed by another $35,000, along with financial assistance for the officers' children's educational expenses, he said.

But after learning Gliniewicz's death had been ruled a suicide, the organization asked for the donation to be returned, Ahern had said. The check was cashed, he said, and he's now working with an attorney representing the family.

More at link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-lns-fox-lake-donation-fund-frozen-st-1112-20151111-story.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 am 

Hi LR :28
Good question. Only time will tell. Looks like his oldest son was allegedly involved in one of his father's money schemes. :(

Hey, Carm!
Thanks for all the links, I am finally catching up on the stories from last week. Had not heard about the son/mistress allegation. And thank you for the firsthand info about what is happening in Fox Lake .. very interesting. :69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:35 pm 

Threats against Gliniewicz investigators 'minor issue,' ex-cop's lawyer says

By Susan Berger | Chicago Tribune | November 12, 2015, 1:34PM

The lawyer for a former cop accused of making threats to authorities investigating the death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz said he hopes to resolve the case soon.

Retired Chicago police officer Joseph Battaglia was accused of calling the Lake County coroner's office 10 days after Gliniewicz's death and threatening to harm investigators if they did not rule the death a suicide.
[...]
Battaglia, 54, of Oak Lawn, is charged with disorderly conduct and telephone harassment, both misdemeanors, and pleaded not guilty in Lake County court on Thursday. He has been released on bond while he awaits trial and the judge reminded him that he cannot possess any weapons or have contact with the targets of his alleged threats.

More at link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-fox-lake-officer-shot-threat-met-20151112-story.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:51 am 

Fox Lake Authorities Investigating Stockpile of Military Items in Gliniewicz Explorer Post
Disgraced lieutenant had accumulated hundreds of items earmarked for police, not scouts
By Phil Rogers | NBCChicago.com | November 12, 2015, 11:31PM

Authorities in Fox Lake have locked the door of the former Police Explorer post, in the basement of a community center on the city’s west side. That basement is packed to the rafters with military equipment, which investigators say the Explorers, and their controversial leader, Lt. Joe Gliniewicz, never should have had.

A week after declaring that the lieutenant’s death was a “carefully staged suicide,” investigators took NBC5 Investigates into Gliniewicz’s former Explorer headquarters, revealing the mountains of military gear which even now is the subject of an intensive internal review. Acquired through an agency known as the Law Enforcement Support Office, those items are supposed to be requisitioned for use in bona fide police departments -- not Explorer Posts.

But in the Gliniewicz post, there they were: Kevlar helmets, radios, ballistic vests, combat boots, gas masks and gun belts by the hundreds. And investigators believe it was the increasing pressure to account for those items, which caused Gliniewicz to take his own life.
[...]
“When a department obtains the equipment, it’s not meant for Explorer posts,” he said. “The police department doesn’t even have this equipment. Many police departments don’t have this equipment.”

The former Explorer clubhouse is literally packed with military gear. Holsters by the dozens, ballistic helmets, combat fatigues, army cots. And, a find which Keller found especially disturbing, manuals on SWAT tactics and sniper training.

More at link (videos): http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/Fox-Lake-Stockpile-Military-Items-Gliniewicz-Explorer-Post-347342121.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:10 am 

Glad to hear it, she is appealing the freeze on money people gifted her when they believed Joe was a decent human being. I'm not sure whatever happened about the pension, the last I heard she was having a rough time setting her paws on it.

Widow of Fox Lake Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz indicted

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/27/us/fox-la ... -indicted/

The widow of an Illinois police lieutenant who tried to portray his suicide as murder was indicted Wednesday on six counts accusing her of participating in her husband's stealing of charitable funds, authorities said.

The Secret Life of GI Joe was pretty interesting it was on CNN yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:06 pm 

Hi Carm :28

The Secret Life of GI Joe was pretty interesting it was on CNN yesterday.

I didn't see it, but I saw the article promo come across my news TL on twitter. I didn't get a chance to read it. I'll look for a video.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next