It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:50 pm 
ADMIN

Trial continues today...

Ken Kalthoff@KenKalthoffNBC5
Police arrested Routh after a family fight in September 2012. Taken to Green Oaks then VA for Psych care. @NBCDFW #AmericanSniper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:52 pm 
ADMIN

Next witness is Jennifer Weed, Eddie Routh's former girlfriend.

Weed says she started dating Eddie Routh exclusively in May 2012. @NBCDFW #AmericanSniper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 pm 

'American Sniper' Trial: Why the Defense Needs to Steer Clear of PTSD

ABC NEWS
Feb 18, 2015, 12:45 PM ET
By MEGHAN KENEALLY

Now that the "American Sniper" murder trial has been handed over to the defense, accused killer Eddie Ray Routh's lawyers are tasked with showing that it was his psychological problems and not his alleged PTSD that are to blame for the double homicide.

They have already laid out claims about the former Marine's mental health -- highlighting the prescription pill bottles in his house and having his mother testify that he appeared more paranoid after going on a humanitarian mission to Haiti – but now they must make the case that Routh was legally insane at the time of the shooting. And in doing so, they have to stick within Texas’ narrow legal definition of insanity.

Claims of post-traumatic stress disorder were at the center of the case originally because that is the reason why former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and Kyle's friend Chad Littlefield arranged to go with Routh to a gun range in the first place. But experts say the connection between PTSD and Routh's actions are not strong enough for the defense to hang its case on.

...more at link (video)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/american-sniper-trial-defense-steer-clear-ptsd/story?id=29049948

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm 

'American Sniper' trial: Defense makes case for Eddie Ray Routh

Ed Lavandera, Jason Morris and Chris Lett, CNN
Updated 4:36 PM ET| Wed February 18, 2015

Incoherent. Talking nonsense. Not the man they knew.

That's how family members have described Eddie Ray Routh, the man on trial for the slayings of Chris Kyle, subject of the hit film "American Sniper," and Kyle's friend, Chad Littlefield, at a Texas firing range two years ago.

No one disputes that Routh shot and killed the two men. But defense attorneys say Routh was insane.

On Wednesday, the suspect's sister and brother-in-law testified about Routh's behavior after the killings.

"He said he had to take two souls before they could take his. And I asked him what he meant by that, and he said they were out to get him," Laura Blevins told the court. "He was talking nonsense."

She said she told him: "I love you, but I hate your demons."

"The man who was my brother was not at my house. The person who came to my house is not the man who I knew was my brother," Blevins testified.

Her husband said that Routh "babbled about other incoherent things."

"I had a sick feeling on what it meant," Gaines Blevins told the court.

...more at link (video)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/18/us/american-sniper-chris-kyle-trial/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm 

From reading Molly’s articles unless the juror’s are dull witted or easily led I imagine that Routh will not be successful in his insanity defense. Texas has a tight definition of insanity and part of the criteria is that “it has to be clear that the individual did not know his conduct was wrong.

I don’t see clear evidence that Routh didn’t know his actions were wrong. I also see a lot of shenanigans and manipulation.

"I asked him if he was seeing things, and he said yes," Jennifer Weed, his ex, told the court, describing a conversation that happened the night before the slayings. "And then I asked him if he was hearing things, and he said yes.”

Someone in a psychotic break doesn’t know to answer yes to the question “are you seeing things or hearing things”, it is their reality. The same area in a schizophrenic’s brain lights up when they hear their own thoughts (voices inside their head) as lights up when someone else is talking to them. For a normal person a different area of the brain lights up when they are hearing someone else speak than when they are just thinking or having an internal conversation.

And every time I read this;

"I'm just so nervous about what's been happening in my life today. I don't know what's been happening. I've been so paranoid schizophrenic all day. I don't know what to even think of the world right now. I don't know if I'm insane or sane.”

I think bad character not mental illness. Sorry I just don’t buy it. Schizophrenic's just don't talk like that.

Mental illness is widely misdiagnosed and misunderstood in the US, it has been stated that Routh was prescribed anti-psychotics but I haven't read which medications were prescribed. Also he spent several weeks in the bin so I don't think that there is much doubt that he is off his rocker, but off your rocker isn't a license to kill.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 am 

Hi, Carm! :)
I am continuing to enjoy reading your thoughts and commentary, as I am sure many others are. Thank you for taking the time. This is a certainly what I would call a speedy trial with more substantial testimony to the longer trials followed on RT. I had a one-day delay before heading to the trial, so I will catch up on any posts when I return.

You are appreciated!
-Molly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 am 

Routh Defense Presents 1st Full Day of ' Sniper' Trial Testimony

NBC5DFW
Ken Kalthoff and The Associated Press
Updated at 5:55 PM CST | February 18, 2015

People close to Eddie Ray Routh took the witness stand in his defense Wednesday for the Feb. 2, 2013 killings of American Sniper Chris Kyle and friend Chad Littlefield. Routh’s former girlfriend testified that he proposed marriage to her the night before the murders and she said yes.

Jennifer Weed, 26, said their relationship that started in April 2012 was marked by many episodes of Routh’s troubling behavior with threats of suicide and paranoia about demons and the government.

Weed said she was upset with Routh for his drinking, marijuana and tobacco use and wanted him to stop. But she also described situations where she though he had not been using drugs or alcohol and his behavior was still extremely troubling. Routh was hospitalized for mental health care several times in the fall of 2012.

Weed described a situation in mid-January of 2013 when Routh was visibly shaking, sweating through his shirt and acting violently.

“He was very upset with me, calling me a crack whore, calling me a demon,” Weed said. “He had never talked to me that way.”
Routh, 27, wound up in the Dallas Veterans Affairs hospital after that and was released on Jan. 23, 2013.

On the night of Feb. 1, 2013, Weed said Routh got down on his knee, asked her to marry him and she accepted. But the next morning they fought again over his tobacco use and she left before Routh went on a planned outing that day with Kyle.

...more at link
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Eddie-Ray-Routh-Defense-Presents-1st-Full-Day-of--Sniper-Trial-Testimony-292405261.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:30 am 

Hi Molly :28 ,

I am happy to have been allowed into Club Rumpole :heart

Thanks mostly I just type out loud. I have never been interested in crime/trials until a little over a year ago when my friend went missing (was murdered) Long story short I was looking for information on her and about murder in general and came across a couple sites that purported to be victims advocate sites, one ended up being in my opinion a bit off and the other was just a hate fest of ignorant folks who could't think their way out of a paper bag, it was a true parade of ignorance and hate on display and they were all proud of it and considered themselves the sages of the internet sleuthing world. It was a pathetic, ugly site all wrapped up in it's own self-righteousness where bullying occurred on a daily basis and if you didm;t go along with the group consensus you were a threat big enough that the moderators would chastise you in public and threaten you in private to not be so controversial. Tow the line, they had determined the truth and it was the only truth. Sickos.

Anyhow a few cases now fascinate me especially after seeing how ignorance and adamance blinded so many online to really exploring the truth.

This case is sickening. Rumpoles is the only place I am reading about it and the links supplied here. So far I hope Routh is not successful in his insanity defense.

I'm pleased that you get to go to s trial and give us an inside perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:24 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Carm and Molly... nice to see you Gals getting on. :38

I see trial pushung on today.. I think our intrepid reporter Molly will be there today..

Routh's mom admits she did not warn Chris Kyle about a recent alarming incident with Eddie @NBCDFW #AmericanSniper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:59 pm 

:69 Rumpole. Waiting for Molly's update. I did hear in passing that Routh was in the bin just a week before he killed Chris and Chad. Do you know if that is true? Do you know what he was diagnosed with other than PSTD? Medications? Is there any documentation of him having a break with reality that has been documented? I am far behind on this one because I knew it would just upset me to read about it.

Just a few questions that have crossed my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:24 pm 
ADMIN

The three prong points that need to be proved to find him insane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm 

That is why Texas is said to have a narrow law, many states have looser wording such as - did not perceive that his conduct was wrong. Texas law is a bit unflinching in it's wording -did not know that his conduct was wrong. Proving Routh did not know his conduct was wrong, that he was in a delusional state, is going to be a rough go.

I don't buy that he was delusional but I don't know his mental health history, it will be interesting to see what is brought forth by the defense. If he was diagnosed as psychotic mere weeks or less before Chris took him to the range but Routh's mother didn't give Chris that information then Routh's mother bears some guilt in the deaths of Chris and Chad. I will look around and see if I can find out what drugs he was prescribed and what dosage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 pm 

Also this;

-as a result of severe mental disease or defect

The prosecution is arguing not only was Routh not insane at the time of the murders but Routh is responsible for whatever mental defect he may have been influenced by because he did not take his prescribed medications (I'm sure part of his release deal), he used marijuana (known to make psychosis worse) and alcohol (ditto).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:19 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/eddie- ... an-sniper/

Accused killer of 'American sniper' Chris Kyle acted bizarrely for years, family says

Routh seemed to be a "nice guy," who was "quirky and had his own weird style," Xeriland said. He was "more of a Forrest Gump-type guy than a serial killer," Xeriland told CNN.

"I didn't see him as a super-motivated, change-the-world-type guy. He needed help, but I didn't realize how much help. He was out of the military, he was struggling and it seemed like if he could get his legs back underneath him, he could be all right," Xeriland said.

Once Routh "got mixed up in drugs" -- an open secret in the neighborhood --- things became more problematic, he said.
"He was living on the edge with all this stuff -- beat down, broken-down car, messed up on drugs," he told CNN.

Xeriland describes the vet's behavior as "jumpy and wired."

Court documents say that Eddie Routh "has a long history of drug and alcohol use. From high school, while in the Marines and after his discharge from the Marines, the defendant has smoked marijuana, drank alcohol excessively, smoked 'K2' or 'spice' (synthetic marijuana) and potentially marijuana laced with PCP or formaldehyde.”

Many of the mentally ill self medicate, but it is not a legal defense.

And as to the prescriptions Routh was on;

Among the drugs were lithium, which treats mania; prazosin, which can help decrease nightmares; and Zoloft, an antidepressant commonly used for PTSD, the article said.

I found one article that says that Prazosin may be effective for psychosis (2011) and protect the brain from damage caused by PTSD.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_event ... -curbs.cfm

Lithium; Used for a myriad of psychiatric disorders and as a mood stabilizer.

Zoloft probably one of the most common anti depressants prescribed in America.

Any or all of these mixed with the wild cocktail of street drugs and or alcohol could cause a chemically induced psychosis or simply hyper aggressive behavior. Again the truly delusional generally do not question their sanity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 pm 

‘American Sniper’ trial puts rural Texas town in unwanted spotlight

Defense questions if fairness can be had in Chris Kyle country

February 19, 2015 6:05 AM
By Jason Sickles, Yahoo

STEPHENVILLE, Texas — A man in weathered work boots and a flannel jacket butters his popcorn at the local movie house before ambling into the 6:50 p.m. showing of “American Sniper” — the blockbuster war film about famed former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle.

Few in this tranquil town — the self-proclaimed Cowboy Capital of the World about 100 miles southwest of Dallas — get rushed about much.

Those arriving for “American Sniper” at the humble Cinema 6 Tuesday night were hardly in a haste. Perhaps because everyone in these parts knows how and where the movie tragically ends.

...more at link (photo gallery)
http://news.yahoo.com/american-sniper-trial-puts-rural-texas-town-in-unwanted-spotlight-202652794.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm 

Defense Rests In ‘American Sniper’ Trial

February 20, 2015 | 5:53 AM
By Arezow Doost, CBSDFW.COM

STEPHENVILLE - The defense team rested its case on Thursday in the highly-publicized murder trial of Eddie Routh. But testimony is not over yet in the Stephenville courtroom. Rebuttal witnesses are being brought in on Friday, including a psychiatrist.

Routh has been accused of killing Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and his friend, Chad Littlefield, at a gun range in Erath County two years ago.

The court swore in Routh late Thursday. His attorney asked if he knew his rights, and Routh said that he did. They also asked Routh if he wanted to defend himself, and he said no. Routh then told the judge that he would not take the stand and testify.

This all came after a day of testimony that was filled with strange stories about Routh’s mental health. Defense lawyers have been trying to prove that Routh was insane when the two killings took place, and that he did not know right from wrong.

A psychiatrist testified that Routh thought that his co-workers were cannibals who wanted to eat him. That psychiatrist said that he believes that Routh is schizophrenic, qualifies as insane, and should not go to jail. Prosecutors will bring in a rebuttal witness on Friday.

The prosecution does not dispute that Routh is troubled, but argue that he was not insane at the time of the killings. He did know right from wrong, they said, because he fled from the scene and told his sister that he was going to Oklahoma afterward. He also visited Taco Bell after the murders, to pick up a last meal before going to jail.

The psychiatrist said that Routh knew that others believed the killings were wrong, and expected to be put behind bars.

Routh’s mother asked Kyle to spend time with her son, to help with his posttraumatic stress disorder, but did not know that they group of men would be going to a gun range.

This case could go to the jury as early as Friday. If he is convicted, Routh will automatically receive a sentence of life in prison without parole. But if the jury finds Routh to be not guilty by reason of insanity, he could receive life in a mental health facility.

The trial has received national attention due to the release of the “American Sniper” movie, based on Kyle’s book of the same name. The film stars Bradley Cooper as Kyle, and was directed by Clint Eastwood. It has earned more than $300 million at the box office and is nominated for Best Picture at this year’s Academy Awards.

...more at link
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/20/defense-rests-in-american-sniper-trial/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:18 pm 

Prosecution in ‘American Sniper’ trial to call rebuttal mental health experts Friday

Dallas Morning News | February 20, 2015 8:10AM
By Tasha Tsiaperas,

STEPHENVILLE — Prosecutors will call rebuttal witnesses Friday in the capital murder trial of a Lancaster man accused of killing former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and his friend in February 2013.

Eddie Ray Routh, 27, is charged with capital murder in the shooting deaths of Kyle and Chad Littlefield. The men took him to Rough Creek Lodge and Resort hoping to help him with post-traumatic stress disorder.

A forensic psychiatrist testified Thursday that Routh suffers from schizophrenia and was in a psychotic state on the day he shot and killed Kyle and Littlefield. The psychiatrist also said that he doesn’t believe Routh has post-traumatic stress disorder.

Routh confessed to killing the men but pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

Prosecutors allege that Routh knew the difference between right and wrong the day he gunned down Kyle and Littlefield. They plan to call rebuttal expert witnesses Friday to testify to Routh’s mental state on Feb. 2, 2013.

...more at link
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/prosecution-in-american-sniper-trial-to-call-rebuttal-mental-health-experts-friday.html/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:46 pm 

Carmelita wrote:
:69 Rumpole. Waiting for Molly's update. I did hear in passing that Routh was in the bin just a week before he killed Chris and Chad. Do you know if that is true?

Hi Carm, Yesterday was fast-paced and wild ... in my little world.
There was still a long line waiting to get into the trial, beginning 7AM. I only heard two expert witnesses' "qualifying" testimony outside the presence of the jury, recesses and waiting on Judge's decisions. Routh's mother, Jodi, was recalled by defense before lunch so it was worth the trip and wait. I will be there for closings and hopefully the verdict.

I see your excellent information on the drugs question. I am looking for Routh's record and will let you know what I find. I have very little computer time today, but wanted to let you know, say "hey" and thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:16 pm 

"American Sniper" Murder Trial Moves Toward Jury

NBC5DFW
Ken Kalthoff and The Associated Press
Updated at 7:05 PM CST | February 20, 2015

Experts for the state testified Friday that Eddie Ray Routh did not meet the Texas definition of insanity at the time "American Sniper" Chris Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were killed two years ago.

Forensic psychiatrist Dr. Michael Arambula was appointed by former Gov. Rick Perry to serve as president of the State Board of Medicine, which oversees all physicians in the state.

As a consultant for the prosecution, Arambula reviewed records in the Routh case and interviewed the defendant at the Erath County Jail on Jan. 30.

Arambula said Routh was was not insane at the time of the shootings but was intoxicated with marijuana.

"With marijuana intoxication, it's 'game over' on an insanity defense," Arambula said.

Arambula said Routh had a history of excessive marijuana use and admitted smoking pot the morning of the February 2013 shootings.

The psychiatrist said he believes Routh did know right from wrong but said only one person knows exactly what led up to the shootings.

"Mr. Routh is ultimately the only one who knows what happened in the second before he killed those two men," Arambula said.

Forensic psychologist Randall Price also testified Friday as a rebuttal witness for the state.

Price said Routh clearly showed that he knew his actions were wrong by running from the crime scene and trying to avoid arrest.

Price interviewed Routh over two days in December 2014 at the Erath County Jail. Price was first contacted about the case by the Erath district attorney in March 2013, the month after the murders.

Price said he reviewed Routh’s medical records, school and military records and spoke with Routh’s doctors.

...more at link
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/American-Sniper-Murder-Trial-Moves-Toward-Jury-292912801.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 pm 

Hi Molly :69 Rumpole and all

Molly, thanks for your first hand experience and the articles I have been running around and in and out all day.

What is anyone else's opinion of Routh's defense?

From posted article;

Price testified that Routh does not have a mental disorder, but rather a personality disorder. Price also pointed Routh’s heavy alcohol and marijuana use that, he said, when combined with the personality disorder, could cause behavior that appears to be psychotic.

Price said he reviewed Routh’s medical records, school and military records and spoke with Routh’s doctors.

Price also concluded symptoms of mental disorders at the time of the crime were the result of excessive alcohol and marijuana use.
“In the state of Texas we call that voluntary intoxication,” Price said.
Price did find that Routh had personality, adjustment and substance abuse disorders but that none of those issues left him unable to tell right from wrong.

This in my opinion is spot on. Price calls Routh’s delusions “suspicious” which is exactly how I view them.

Most schizophrenics have a theme to there delusions, geometric shapes that talk to them, cats which give them verbal clues, everyone else being part of a government agency, and so on. Routh’s delusions are all over the place.

Color me a skeptic but I see a guy who may have suffered from PSTD but he also seems to just be a lazy bum, bad character who overplayed his mental condition for sometime even before he killed Chris and Chad. I am very sensitive to the plight of the mentally ill and I hate to be suspicious of someone who claims to be mentally ill but from what I have read I just don't see schizophrenia presented in Routh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next