It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 pm 

Shrien Dewani [murder of Anni Dewani November 13 2010]

Anni Dewani was a Swedish woman who, while on her honeymoon in South Africa, was kidnapped and then murdered whilst taking a slum tourism trip through Gugulethu township near Cape Town on 13 November 2010, with her husband. Why they would have wanted to take such a trip beggars belief - it was not a safe area.

Taxi driver Zola Robert Tongo later admitted guilt on the charges of murder in a plea bargain, and was sentenced on 7 December 2010, to 18 years in jail.

Mziwamadoda Qwabe pleaded guilty to her murder in August 2012 and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Xolile Mngeni, 23, was convicted of her murder on 19 November 2012, and sentenced to life in jail.

In his plea bargain agreement, Zola Tongo stated that Anni's husband, British national Shrien Dewani of Bristol, had offered R15,000 to have his wife killed. Following an application by South African authorities, Senior District Judge Howard Riddle ruled in August 2011 that Shrien Dewani could be extradited to face charges in relation to the murder. The extradition order was approved by Home Secretary Theresa May on 28 September 2011. However, a High Court ruling of 30 March 2012 put the extradition on hold, based on expert witness opinion of Shrien Dewani's mental health and prospects for recovery. Shrien Dewani continues to claim innocence within the kidnap and murder plot, while his family described the allegations of Tongo as "totally ludicrous."

Following a long legal battle, in January 2014, the British High Court rejected Shrien Dewani's plea against extradition to South Africa. It means that he will be extradited to South Africa sometime in April to face trial. His trial is scheduled to take place on April 8th.

I have no idea if it will be televised, and will see what information I can get regards this, if anyone is interested, it could be quite an unusual trial.

This case has received a lot of publicity here in the UK and various documentaries have been made - I think if it is televised or live streamed on the net, a lot of people in Britain will be watching.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 pm 

If anyone is interested in this case - here's the background, and it will shortly all play out in court in April.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:55 am 
ADMIN

Snippet from Guardian report on Pistorius trial:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... dc52cb9940

Quote:
When the Pistorius trial resumes on 7 April, it looks set to clash with another high-profile murder case – that of Shrien Dewani, accused of orchestrating the killing of his wife Anni while on honeymoon in Cape Town in November 2010.

Dewani, having lost a legal battle in the UK to avoid deportation to South Africa, is due to travel to Cape Town on 7 April and to appear in court there on 8 April.

Dewani denies any involvement in the killing of his new wife, and two men have already been jailed over the murder. They testified that Dewani had ordered the hit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:23 am 
ADMIN

Shrien Dewani 'to be extradited to South Africa on 7 April'
BBC News, 23 March 2014

A man accused of arranging the murder of his wife on their honeymoon in South Africa will be extradited on 7 April, the government there has said.

Shrien Dewani, 33, from Bristol, is expected to leave London and arrive in Cape Town on 8 April.

He has been fighting a return to South Africa to face the charges, which he denies, over the death of his wife Anni in November 2010.

The extradition date was confirmed by South Africa's Department for Justice.

Mr Dewani lost his latest appeal against extradition at the start of March.

Following this a 28-day period during which he must be extradited was triggered - which is due to end on 14 April.

...more at link
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-26705011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:56 pm 

I was reading about this again this afternoon. I remember when I saw another documentary over here last year how devastated Anni's family were. Her sister was interviewed and she said that Anni was deeply unhappy. This was not an arranged marriage or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:48 am 
ADMIN

Dewani case postponed
April 8 2014 at 01:05pm
By SAPA

Cape Town - The case against honeymoon murder-accused Shrien Dewani was postponed in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

“The State and defence have agreed that the matter will be postponed until 12 May and that the accused be remanded in custody,” provincial director of public prosecutions Rodney de Kok told the court.

The State and defence had agreed that Dewani needed further care and treatment.

“We agreed then that Mr Dewani will be transferred in custody to the Valkenberg Hospital.”

Francois van Zyl SC, for Dewani, said he agreed with May 12.

Judge John Hlophe said the exact terms of the order, in terms of mental health, would be drawn up.

Dewani, wearing a charcoal suit and black tie, appeared to be struggling to hear what was being said.

Hlophe confirmed the postponement date and Dewani was excused.

The British millionaire claimed he and his wife Anni were kidnapped at gunpoint as they drove through Gugulethu in Cape Town in a taxi in November 2010.

The couple had been on honeymoon in the country. He was released unharmed, but his wife's body was found in the abandoned car the next day. She had been shot dead.

Xolile Mngeni was convicted of the murder and jailed for life. Prosecutors allege Dewani hired him to kill his wife.

Two other alleged accomplices are also already serving jail terms in connection with the crime. Dewani has denied any part in the murder.

...more at link

http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/dew ... 0PhlKJWhug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 am 
ADMIN

Dewani's case postponed to the 12th May

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:38 am 
ADMIN

BBC Panorama The Honeymoon Murder Who Killed Anni Dewani? BBC documentary 2013

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 pm 
ADMIN

Finding that vid has at least given me an overview of the case.

I view any news doco with some caution... but with that proviso this looks like a bit of a "fit-up" to me.

I can not see WHY the British authorities would grant the extradition based on what I see?

I do have HUGE concerns about Police and Judicial incompetence and corruption in SA... a sobering thought as we all follow the Pistorius trial

The trial and proceeding look kosher for OP... but the POLICE investigation and evidence analysis is so botched as to warrant a mis-trial... and yet they proceed with it. I do have concerns about OP and Dewani getting a FAIR trial.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 am 
ADMIN

There is a Pre-trial hearing today......

Live courtroom TV, Season Two: Shrien Dewani
Marianne Thamm, 11 May 2014 09:57 (South Africa)

After a month of psychiatric observation, British murder accused Shrien Dewani is expected to make his second pre-trial appearance in the Cape High court on Monday. In February this year, Judge Dunstan Mlambo made legal history when he ruled that parts of the Oscar Pistorius trial could be broadcast live on television. Media houses are bound to apply for the same privilege in the Dewani matter. In the meantime, Dewani's iPad and iPhone were confiscated and handed to the investigating officer, Captain Paul Hendrikse. By MARIANNE THAMM.

...more at link
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/ ... 3B7fXZWhuj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 am 
ADMIN

Shrien Dewani's murder trial date set for October
UK businessman, who faces five charges over wife's murder, to undergo psychiatric evaluation similar to that of Oscar Pistorius
David Smith in Johannesburg
Friday 20 June 2014 13.26 BST

British businessman Shrien Dewani will stand trial on 6 October for the murder of his wife on their honeymoon if a panel of psychiatric experts deems him mentally fit, a South African court ruled on Friday.

Dewani, making a third court appearance in Cape Town since his extradition from the UK in April, was ordered to undergo a similar mental evaluation to that of athlete Oscar Pistorius, who is also charged with murder.

Prosecutors applied for the 30-day test after receiving two conflicting psychiatric reports on Dewani, the Western Cape high court was told. Defence lawyer Francois van Zyl did not oppose the application and said he believed Dewani would be able to stand trial.

"The accused will be ready, fit to plead for the trial to proceed on 6 October, but of course it is subject to what the panel finds," he told the judge, John Hlophe.

....more at link
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... -pistorius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 am 
ADMIN

Shrien Dewani’s court date set as judge orders psych evaluation
By Sertan Sanderson on 23 June, 2014 11:52 am

As Shrien Dewani is ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric evaluation ahead of his trial starting in October, a psychiatrist at Valkenberg, where the extradited businessman is being treated, has ruled out depression as Dewani’s condition. Dr Sean Baumann said Dewani’s current mental state of post-traumatic stress is more likely to be related to his current situation facing a serious legal trial rather than grieving his wife’s death.

Shrien Dewani has been ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric evaluation similar to the one that Oscar Pistorius is currently being subjected to. He will reportedly return from the evaluation and stand trial in Cape Town as of 6 October 2014.

The British businessman, who is accused of orchestrating the murder of his wife Anni on their honeymoon in Gugulethu (Cape Town) in November 2010, continues to deny his involvement in the notorious crime.

....more at link
http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/shr ... uation.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:30 am 

I look forward to hearing the results of this 30 day assessment - see there's a difference right off the bat, he is assessed before his trial unlike OP whose trial is stopped temporarily for an assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 am 
ADMIN

Hi Wroughead :28

Yes :)

There is a difference though in that Dewani may well be not competent NOW to stand trial (or claim that).
It's not as if (like OP) he admits he did it and it is his mental state at the time of the crime that is being questioned (as in OP case).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:00 am 

I don't think Dewani is ever going to admit he arranged his bride's murder somehow - I wonder and I've put out my feelers, if this will be streamed - time will tell.

Interesting read - this will be the next trial I personally, will be interested in.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... BLtOPldV5M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:12 am 

According to an ex-pat friend living in SA, he seems to think from what he's heard that the trial will be televised because of the wide interest.

Would be terrific if it was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:19 am 

There is a lot of intrigue in this case. I've been on to the Cape Town newspapers and found this article about something which also featured in the OP case i.e. the Call records - they don't lie.

more here

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... BRD4fldV5M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
ADMIN

I saw a doco on this case... and will follow it when trial starts. I have forgotten the details of the doco and docos generally push one theory and there are no doubt other interpretations. The doco left me a bit worried about some sort of the deals with the bad guys involved, now giving evidence... ransom money that went missing.... Bent cops etc. But I can go into the trial genuinely NOT biased. The details and evidence presented will be new to me.

"Adrian Mopp and Shareen Riley are expected to put the charges to Dewani on October 6, to which he will formally plead."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:52 pm 

I am looking forward to this case beginning next week.

I saw an interesting series of interviews with the girl's sister and parents, and your heart just goes out to them really. They've suffered such a lot and now all they want is answers. I felt so sorry for them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 pm 
ADMIN

Feel free to update... I'll try and catch up. :)