It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 pm 

packy wrote:
I'm with you about setting that precedent, SheStone. Since they overturned her conviction it would seem to me that there was reasonable doubt. Hopefully appeals will work because she may have a hard time fighting extradition if it comes to that.

Could it be that they're just totally mad about the slander she has been charged with.

Her conviction on the murder was overturned by an appeals court improperly according to the Italian Supreme Court so that doesn't necessarily mean there was reasonable doubt.

We have similar things happen here in the US. For example here in the US the convictions of Howard K. Stern and Dr. Eroshevich were set aside by a judge on the basis of a lack of evidence for any jury to be able to find them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt then the judge dismissed the charges. Many articles referred to this as the two having been acquitted of the crimes. The prosecutor appealed and the appeals court found the trial court judge erred, that there was sufficient evidence and ruled the convictions be reinstated. Although that order isn't final yet as there is an appeal to the California Supreme court on part of the ruling that the DA believes miss applies the double jeopardy rule. Basically two of the three appeals court judges state that when the case is remitted if the trial court decides to grant Mr. Stern's new trial motion then the trial judge will have to dismiss the case on double jeopardy grounds. The DA argues that with the original guilty verdict reinstated that since it would be Mr. Stern requesting the new trial he would be waving the double jeopardy issues since it is not the state requesting to retry him but Mr. Stern himself. The DA points out they are perfectly willing not to retry him and simply let the convictions stand. Having followed the case and read the briefs, I agree with the DA on that case as did one of the appeals court judges. The California Supreme Court has already granted the petition for review and the case has been fully briefed. Waiting to see if they want oral arguments or will simply make a decision.

The Amanda Knox decision is a bit different based on how the Italian Court system works which according to reports did seem to actually acquit them. That is what I am relying on for my support of not extraditing her. If it turns out the reports of their acquittal aren't accurate I may have to change my position on that, but I really haven't seen any reports that contradicts that.

As I understand it our extradition treaty with Italy does show that we won't extradite people who have been acquitted and then tried again and found guilty. So I don't think we will extradite her unless it does turn out that it wasn't actually an acquittal by the Italian appeals court. I don't know for sure though.

Amanda Knox was already found guilty of the slander and that conviction was upheld. She already served her four year sentence for that. She confessed to police of being in the home at the time of the murder but implicated Patrick Lumumba for the murder. It turns out the Mr. Lumumba had an alibi. That is who she was guilty of slandering. He also sued her and won some money. I don't know if he ever collected it from her or not.

*With looking further the slander conviction for which she did jail time appears to have actually been her claim that police beat her and/or used threats of physical violence to intimidated her into making the false claims against Mr. Lumumba.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:52 pm 

Having looked back over things I can't tell for sure if she was ever convicted for sure on the slander of the police. I am only sure she was convicted of slandering Mr. Lumumba. Since the two issues are intertwined it gets a bit confusing. I am not sure for which she actually served the jail time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 am 
ADMIN

Amanda Knox's Parents Angry, Stunned Over Guilty Verdict
Jan. 30, 2014
By NEAL KARLINSKY, LAUREN EFFRON and NIKKI BATTISTE

The parents of Amanda Knox said they were stunned and angry that an Italian court again convicted their daughter of murder and vowed to continue to fight to clear her name.

"Amanda's upset, we were all shocked and upset, but we're all ready to fight too," said Knox's mother Edda Mellas. "Everyone in the family, everyone in the extended family are all ready to continue to fight for truth and fight for her freedom and it's not going to stop."

Once again, Knox, 26, was found guilty of the 2007 murder of her former roommate Meredith Kercher by an Italian court, the latest twist in a case that has been at the center of an international media firestorm for more than six years.

Knox's former boyfriend, Raffaelle Sollecito, 29, was also convicted after nearly 12 hours of deliberations by two judges and six jurors.

Knox, who remained in her hometown of Seattle for the trial, watched the verdict with her family live on television.

"I am frightened and saddened by this unjust verdict," Knox said in a statement. "Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system. ... This has gotten out of hand."

...more at link
http://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-knoxs-p ... d=22305362

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 am 
ADMIN

Amanda Knox vows to fight murder conviction, won't 'go willingly' to Italy
By Laura Smith-Spark and Hada Messia, CNN
January 31, 2014 -- Updated 2211 GMT (0611 HKT)

Florence, Italy (CNN) -- Amanda Knox vowed Friday to fight her conviction for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher "until the very end" and said she "will never go willingly" back to Italy.

Speaking on ABC's "Good Morning America," Knox said news of the guilty verdict Thursday "really has hit me like a train."

"I did not expect this to happen. I really expected so much better from the Italian justice system," she said. "They found me innocent before. How can they say that it's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?"

...more at link
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/31/world ... x-retrial/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 am 
ADMIN

Why Knox verdict baffles us
By Nina Burleigh
January 31, 2014 -- Updated 2323 GMT (0723 HKT)

(CNN) --
When Amanda Knox was convicted again on Thursday, Americans reacted with bafflement. The appeal was the third round through Italy's grinding, multi-level legal system, with its numerous checks and balances. But the saga is also confusing because, while the crime is simple, the case built around it is a grand spectacle combining aspects of national pride, sexist archetypes and race.

Knox and her co-defendant, Raffaele Sollecito, were first convicted by a jury in 2009 for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher in 2007. An appellate judge overturned the conviction in 2011 and Knox returned to the United States after four years in jail. The prosecutor then appealed the acquittal to the Italian Supreme Court, which sent the case to the new appellate panel that reinstated the conviction.

It isn't over yet. The defendants will now appeal and the case eventually could be returned to another appellate panel for yet another review.

...more at link
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/31/opini ... Stories%29

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 am 
ADMIN

Judge in Amanda Knox case says he agrees with guilty verdict
By The Associated Press

The judge who presided over Amanda Knox's second murder conviction says he suffered over the verdict but that he and the jury agreed about her guilt in the death of British student Meredith Kercher.

Judge Alessandro Nencini said he agreed to be interviewed by Corriere della Sera for Saturday's editions because he knew the sentence would create a media storm.

...more at link
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014 ... rdict?lite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 am 
ADMIN

Amanda Knox: What Happens Next?
By Jeff Truesdell
01/31/2014 at 05:40 PM EST

Amid debate over whether Amanda Knox could face extradition to Italy following her second conviction for the 2007 murder of her roommate, her defense attorney says the case is far from over and that answer is far from clear.

"I can understand that people are discussing it as a question," says Philadelphia attorney Theodore Simon. "But it is not a question or issue for today or tomorrow or for a very long time."

"Under Italian law, even though she was convicted, she's still presumed innocent until the appeal to the Supreme Court of Italy." He adds: "We will make every effort and take every available step to challenge this wrongful conviction."

Others take a different view while waiting for the Italian appellate court to put its guilty verdict in writing and start the appeal anew.

"She's convicted of murder, but she's not a fugitive. She's free to do whatever she wants right now," says says Julian Ku, a law professor at Hofstra University and expert on international law. But, he adds: "The Italian government could at any point ask for her detention and her extradition. It's my view that they would have a good chance of getting her if they asked."

...more at link
http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 20,00.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:09 am 
ADMIN

Knox trial: Both sides say the truth is in the evidence
By Mallory Simon, CNN
February 1, 2014 -- Updated 0137 GMT (0937 HKT)

Editor's note: This is an edited version of a story first published in November 2009 during the first murder trial of Amanda Knox and Rafaelle Sollecito looking at the disputed evidence in the case, which has largely remained the same.

(CNN) -- Within weeks of British student Meredith Kercher's death in the vibrant college town of Perugia, Italy, in 2007, prosecutors and police declared the case closed.

They'd seized two knives in their search for the murder weapon. They took DNA from the room where Kercher was killed. And at least one suspect had confessed to being at the murder scene. Or so they said.

Kercher had been stabbed in a sexual misadventure, officials said. And they knew the killers.

American Amanda Knox, Kercher's roommate; Italian Raffaele Sollecito, Knox's former boyfriend; and Ivory Coast native Rudy Guede, a drifter known in the area, had their pictures splattered across the world's media.

Knox's photo was even hung in the police plaza alongside Italy's most infamous mobsters and criminals.

....more at link
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/31/world ... Stories%29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:15 pm 
ADMIN

Knox judge faces allegations of impropriety
02/03/2014

MILAN (AP) — The judge who announced the guilty verdicts against Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito for murder is facing allegations of impropriety that could result in disciplinary proceedings.

Defense lawyers for Sollecito, Knox’s co-defendant, said Monday they will request disciplinary action against Florence Judge Alessandro Nencini as a result of comments the presiding appellate court judge made on Sollecito’s defense strategy to Italian media following Thursday’s guilty verdict — and that the comments could form part of their planned appeal of the verdict.

“This is not a vendetta because a judge handed down a sentence other than what we expected,” defense lawyer Luca Maori said by telephone on Monday. Maori said Sollecito’s defense will ask the the magistrate’s governing body, the Judicial Ministry, and Italy’s supreme Court of Cassation to take disciplinary action, calling the comments on defense strategy a “serious” breach.

...more at link
http://www.wildabouttrial.com/knox-judg ... propriety/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm 
ADMIN

A gross misinterpretation of the blood evidence by the Scientific Police
By Ron Hendry

This article contains graphic crime scene photographs.

The Scientific Police White Suits reexamined the cottage crime scene on December 18, 2007. During this reexamination, they removed a large number of shoes and other items that had been shoved under the bed during the original workup of the crime scene. After removing everything, investigators noticed and photographed dried blood drippings on the floor under and near the head end of the bed.

The photos above were taken on December 18, 2007, after stored items had been removed from under bed, revealing two small areas stained by dripping blood. Note how the nightstand is jammed up against the bed frame, covering a bloodstain that was part of the original crime scene.

The Scientific Police subsequently determined that this was important blood evidence that had been intentionally hidden by Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. Photos and analysis of these blood drippings were included in a report prepared for the prosecutor and the Court. The photos of the blood dripping area and the police interpretation of what they meant were also included in the large Scientific Police crime scene exhibit, ostensibly produced for the jury’s consideration at the trial of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito.

....more at link
http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/RonHendry11.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:50 pm 
ADMIN

Raffaele Sollecito reveals he DOES have questions about Amanda Knox's behavior after murder - but he denies he's distancing himself from her

• In an interview in Italy, Sollecito said he asked his then-girlfriend why she had spent so much time at her apartment after it had been broken into
  • He said he still did not have answers to his questions
  • Sollecito and Knox were reconvicted of the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Kercher in January but Knox has refused to return to Italy
  • Earlier this month, Knox released a photo of her holding a sign that reads 'SIAMO INNOCENTI' - which means 'We are innocent'

By Lydia Warren
PUBLISHED: 14:59 GMT, 24 February 2014 | UPDATED: 17:19 GMT, 24 February 2014

Raffaele Sollecito has said he has unanswered questions about Amanda Knox's behavior after the murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher in 2007.

In an interview that aired on Italian television, Sollecito said that Knox left his house the morning before Kercher's body was found and when she returned hours later, she seemed 'very agitated'. She said her front door had been broken into and that she had found spots of blood in the bathroom.

'Certainly I asked her questions,' Sollecito said in the interview, which aired in part on the Today show on Monday. 'Why did you take a shower? Why did she spent so much time there?'

The interviewer asked what answers he had to these questions.

I don't have answers,' he responded.

NBC legal analyst Lisa Bloom said Sollecito seemed to be distancing himself from Knox - his girlfriend of just a week at the time of the murder - with these latest comments.

'He's saying that there's some evidence that may apply to her that doesn't apply to him,' she said.

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2uGLbVCi1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm 

Alan Dershowitz has been commenting on the case and extradition.

Alan Dershowitz: "Lots of evidence against Amanda Knox"

Also here is an article with a video of an interview with Dershowitz as well:

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/alan-d ... /id/550244

Dershowitz: I Wouldn't Want My Son Going Out With Amanda Knox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:44 am 

I think the best thing Amanda Knox did was to immediately leave Italy when she was released.

I have my own opinions about this case, and sadly, I doubt she would ever be willing to return to Italy, her ex-boyfriend wasn't so lucky as he lives there.

The months ahead will be interesting. I feel so sorry for Meredith's family.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm 

The court in Italy released its 337-page explanation of its decision in the case.

Here is an article about it in the Daily Mail.

Amanda Knox and Meredith Kercher argued over money on the night the British student was murdered 'by multiple aggressors', Italian court papers reveal

By Chris Pleasance

Published: 10:08 EST, 29 April 2014 | Updated: 12:17 EST, 29 April 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eveal.html

Here is an interesting bit from the article that I wasn't previously aware of:

'The principal evidence was mixed blood traces from which were extracted mixed DNA of Amanda and Meredith. The only explanation for that mix is that Amanda was bleeding and touched objects that were covered in Meredith's blood. There's no other explanation.'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks SheStone.

It seems this case will never go way.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:51 am 
ADMIN

Surveillance footage casts doubt on Amanda Knox alibi

The recently released footage shows a woman who resembles Knox walking towards her Italian home the night her roommate, Meredith Kercher, was murdered. But Knox maintains she spent the night with her boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, who was also accused of Kercher's murder.

BY Joe Kemp
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Monday, May 5, 2014

An Italian news station compared the CCTV footage (L) with an image of Amanda Knox (R).

More doubt was cast on Amanda Knox’s alibi after footage from a surveillance camera showed she may have been at her Italian apartment the night her roommate was murdered.

The stunning clip, which was released by the Italian investigative program Quarto Grado, shows a woman who resembles Knox walking through a section of Perugia on Nov. 1, 2007 — the night Meredith Kercher, 21, was killed in her home.

But Knox — who was convicted after a second trial earlier this year of killing the University of Leeds student — has claimed she spent the night with her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, who as also accused of the murder.

The television program claims that Kercher was also captured on the camera as she walked by just two minutes earlier.

...more at link
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/c ... z30xHpKJIg

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:22 am 

This case is confusing to me. Bringing up stuff that did not come up before? Shestone's article shows that supposedly there was mixed blood evidence but Amanda claims there was nothing of her DNA there.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/us/amanda-knox-interview/

New York (CNN) -- If she had been at the scene of the crime, forensic evidence would prove her guilt, but Amanda Knox says there is nothing -- no DNA, no hair, no footprints, no handprints -- to show she was there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:06 pm 
ADMIN

Knox’s ex: We weren’t together the whole night of the crime
By Associated Press
July 1, 2014 | 11:06am

ROME — The former boyfriend of Amanda Knox, on trial with her for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher, distanced himself from his co-defendant on Tuesday, saying the two had not been together for the whole evening when the crime took place.

Raffaele Sollecito, convicted alongside Knox of the murder in 2009 and cleared on appeal four years later, was reconvicted in January this year after a retrial and sentenced to 25 years in prison. He is currently appealing the verdict.

Speaking at a news conference in Rome on Tuesday, he said he was convinced of the innocence of Knox, who has returned to the United States and shows no signs of wanting to return to Italy, but that he could not speak on her behalf.

...more at link
http://nypost.com/2014/07/01/amanda-kno ... of-murder/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm 
ADMIN

Amanda Knox 'Not with Lover Raffaele Sollecito Minutes before Meredith Kercher's Murder'
By Umberto Bacchi
July 1, 2014 13:20 BST

Raffaele Sollecito maintained he believes Amanda Knox didn't kill British student Meredith Kercher, although his lawyers are seeking to distance him from his co-defendant and ex-lover as part of a new defence strategy.

Sollecito's lawyer Giulia Bongiorno told a press conference in Rome that Knox lied to her client about key evidence in the case, proving that the two were not together minutes before Kercher was killed.

...more at link
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/amanda-knox-no ... er-1454879

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 pm 
ADMIN

Knox’s ex-beau: Evidence points to my innocence

ROME (AP) — Amanda Knox’s former Italian boyfriend said Tuesday the American student provided alibis for him that he will use to try to persuade Italy’s court of last resort to dismiss his conviction for the murder of her British roommate.

Raffaele Sollecito hopes the Court of Cassation will rule he deserves yet another trial and throw out the 25-year sentence he received in January from a Florence appeals court, which convicted both him and Knox for the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher, 21.

His lawyers will stress apparent contradictions in the Florence court’s 337-page verdict explanation.

That court signaled it believed a memo Knox wrote, while being held for questioning, in which she indicates Sollecito had no role in the murder.

“She herself lets me off the hook and gives me an alibi,” Sollecito, 30, said. He noted the court accepted findings that a Knox text message, shortly before the murder, to the owner of a Perugia pub where she worked, had been sent while outside Sollecito’s house.

Yet he insisted he wasn’t trying to pin the murder on the American.

...more at link
http://www.wildabouttrial.com/knoxs-ex- ... innocence/