It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
ADMIN

Late getting to this case... Kyron "went missing" in 2010

Just to start a thread for ongoing discussion her is an article highlighting a time-line of events

Kyron Horman: Timeline of events since boy's disappearance
By The Oregonian
June 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM, updated June 01, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Kyron Horman went missing Friday, June 4 2010.

This is a timeline of events. The Oregonian's reporters and editors will adjust this account over time to add and adjust information.

Searchers have declined to provide some details of the investigation, including when school officials marked Kyron Horman absent on June 4. Here's a basic look at what happened on the day the second-grader disappeared from Skyline School and the following days:

... more at link
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... f_eve.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:15 pm 
ADMIN

Age progression sketch shows what Kyron Horman might look like
Posted: Jun 05, 2012 9:58 AM Updated: June 4, 2012 04:06 PM

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) - Two years ago today, Kyron Horman vanished from his school in northwest Portland, sparking a massive search and investigation that turned up no sign of the boy and no suspects or persons of interest being named in the case.

Now, with years passing, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children shared an age progression artist's image that shows what authorities suspect Kyron looks like today.

Kaine Horman, Kyron's father, said that while he has looked forward to the release of the photo, the process of creating it has been tough.

"I've had the conversation with many people, about just that feeling of how unfair it is to ask a parent ... to take a guess," Kaine Horman said. "So that part, I think that part is difficult, but as far as it getting out there, it's a good thing."

The two-year anniversary of Kyron's disappearance comes on the heels of a $10 million lawsuit being filed by Desiree Young, Kyron's biological mother, against Terri Horman, Kyron's stepmother.

...more at link
http://www.kptv.com/story/18698760/age- ... orman-case

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:06 am 

So glad you put this up, Rumpole. I didn't follow this case closely, but for some reason, that little boy's face haunts me. As you know, I'm on the opposite side of the US from where he disappeared; almost couldn't get further apart in the continental US. But he does... I was just thinking of him again this last week or so. No reason, hadn't heard a word.

So glad that his mom is suing - maybe discovery will help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 am 

His mom dropped her case. MCSO would not help her with any of it. Conversely, the restraining order against TMH was dismissed, and a mutual no contact order was put in place until the divorce is final.
If MCSO has even the tiniest shred of evidence that TMH did anything to Kyron or was involved in any way, she would be in jail. My opinion is they are focusing on her because the real perp had a 6.5 hour head start on them, and it's just easier to point at a step parent. It really helps when the step parent sexts with strange men, and has vented her frustrations about her step child.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:41 am 

Do tell... I haven't heard anything on this in years... Do you know why the mom dropped the civil suit? Or was it dismissed by the court?

The divorce is still not final? Did Terri ever get visitation with the baby girl? Does Kaine still have custody?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 am 

I do not have a theory on what happened. OTOH, I do not discount the possibility that the stepmom was involved because stepmoms have historically been unfairly and cruelly maligned. In my view of the case, from what I recall, there is not enough evidence to convict her, nor is there enough evidence to rule her out. If she's innocent, it's awful the suspicion and suffering she's endured. If she's guilty, it's equally wrong that she has for the most part gotten away with her actions so far.

There are real reasons for the vicious stereotypes afflicting the good step-parents who are often much better parents than bio parents. While the horrific examples are much less common than good, even great examples of step-parenting, they do exist.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 am 

'The divorce has been in abatement for what seems like forever.
DY dropped her civil case because she couldn't get the "evidence" MCSO has that makes them think TMH did something to Kyron. She filed it right at the edge if st statute of limitations for a civil action, so I doubt she will even be able to refile it.
TMH still has no contact with Kitty, but her lawyers are petitioning for visitation.
With all of the chaos at the school that day, and with all of the records the school "lost" deleted, or failed to protect, I doubt anyone will ever know what happened to this little boy. The school didn't even keep the records that would show when the teacher decided to mark him absent, even though he had been at the science fair that morning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 am 

I happen to be one of those "evil step mothers". My oldest two were 10 and 8 when I married their dad. They are now 24 and 22. Their bio-mom is a drug addict who has spent years in prison for cooking meth in their bedroom closet. I treat them no different that I treat the other four, but they still think their lives would be perfect if their dad had remarried their mom.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm 

Clearly, you're not an "evil step mother" - and as I pointed out, the evil ones are the minority. I also pointed out that often the step parents are better than the bio parents, as in the case of your children.

That you are a good mother to all of your children does not indicate to me anything about Terri, good or bad, kwim?

That I am a good bio-mom doesn't mean all bio-moms are good, as is shown in the case of your children's bio mom who is clearly not good.

I guess what I'm trying to say, and was trying to point out from the outset of the thread, this isn't a referendum on step parents. It's just not. The evidence that tends to make Terri suspicious would be no more or less incriminating if she had given birth to Kyron. The evidence that tends to exonerate her would be no more or less exculpatory if she had given birth to Kyron.

Again, this thread is not a referendum on step parents. It's just not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:14 pm 

MzDazie wrote:
'The divorce has been in abatement for what seems like forever.
DY dropped her civil case because she couldn't get the "evidence" MCSO has that makes them think TMH did something to Kyron. She filed it right at the edge if st statute of limitations for a civil action, so I doubt she will even be able to refile it.
TMH still has no contact with Kitty, but her lawyers are petitioning for visitation.
With all of the chaos at the school that day, and with all of the records the school "lost" deleted, or failed to protect, I doubt anyone will ever know what happened to this little boy. The school didn't even keep the records that would show when the teacher decided to mark him absent, even though he had been at the science fair that morning.

Thanks for the updates! I'm sure there are others who either didn't follow, haven't lately, or have forgotten much of what they did know about the case who will appreciate whatever other details you'd care to share.

It's just shocking that she hasn't had contact with her own daughter in three years. Wow. There is absolutely no doubt the baby doesn't remember her at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:16 pm 

So, how old is the baby now? 4? 5? I just could not imagine missing that much of my child's life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm 

Let's also try not to personalize the case details pro-Kaine or anti-Kaine, if we can. Some dads are great, some not so much. Kaine has done a lot of things I wish he hadn't, but I don't know all of the reasons he made the choices he did, and I don't think any of us do.

Edit to add: I'm not suggesting we not discuss him. I'm suggesting we not use his actions as an indictment of all fathers, or vice-versa. Our personal experience with a father (whether our own, our husband, our ex-husband, our sister's ex-husband, etc.) is not likely to have much to do with the facts of this case, or with Kaine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm 

liesel wrote:
Clearly, you're not an "evil step mother" - and as I pointed out, the evil ones are the minority. I also pointed out that often the step parents are better than the bio parents, as in the case of your children.

That you are a good mother to all of your children does not indicate to me anything about Terri, good or bad, kwim?

That I am a good bio-mom doesn't mean all bio-moms are good, as is shown in the case of your children's bio mom who is clearly not good.

I guess what I'm trying to say, and was trying to point out from the outset of the thread, this isn't a referendum on step parents. It's just not. The evidence that tends to make Terri suspicious would be no more or less incriminating if she had given birth to Kyron. The evidence that tends to exonerate her would be no more or less exculpatory if she had given birth to Kyron.

Again, this thread is not a referendum on step parents. It's just not.

LOL.. The one of the two that calls me mom (the other is convinced I ruined her life, because my house had rules to follow, and she resented that) jokingly calls me his evil step mom. He says that looking at the people around his bio mom now, he knows he would be in jail if we hadn't raised him like we did.

I think that you are 100% correct and the reason it is so easy to focus on TMH is because so many people let their new partner mistreat, abuse, and kill their children.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 pm 

liesel wrote:
So, how old is the baby now? 4? 5? I just could not imagine missing that much of my child's life.

She was 16 or 17 months old when Kyron disappeared, and that was just over three years ago... So, close to 5? I couldn't imagine it either. I would be a psycho mess!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 pm 

liesel wrote:
Let's also try not to personalize the case details pro-Kaine or anti-Kaine, if we can. Some dads are great, some not so much. Kaine has done a lot of things I wish he hadn't, but I don't know all of the reasons he made the choices he did, and I don't think any of us do.

Edit to add: I'm not suggesting we not discuss him. I'm suggesting we not use his actions as an indictment of all fathers, or vice-versa. Our personal experience with a father (whether our own, our husband, our ex-husband, our sister's ex-husband, etc.) is not likely to have much to do with the facts of this case, or with Kaine.

I think all three of the parents involved in this have a lot to answer for, but I don't believe any are involved in this child being gone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:34 pm 

MzDazie wrote:

LOL.. The one of the two that calls me mom (the other is convinced I ruined her life, because my house had rules to follow, and she resented that) jokingly calls me his evil step mom. He says that looking at the people around his bio mom now, he knows he would be in jail if we hadn't raised him like we did.

I think that you are 100% correct and the reason it is so easy to focus on TMH is because so many people let their new partner mistreat, abuse, and kill their children.

Very well written, thanks. You said it much better than I did. :)

As you know, being a parent is often a very difficult and thankless job, that we never know if we're doing right, and is different with each child. That's true no matter who was present at the child's birth. As our kids get older though, as you've just posted, sometimes they have the grace and goodness to point out something we did right, like yours did. :) Some of the highlights of my life have been our older ones pointing out specific things they intend to emulate with their own children - if I EVER get any grandchildren! :)

I admit I'm suspicious of TMH, but it's not because of being a step mom. I've seen way too many children saved by good step parents to automatically think negatively of them. In fact, I've seen families saved by good step parents; both bio parents included. Somehow, they managed to be the peacemaker so the bio parents could communicate, put aside all of their old grievances and bitterness. They developed good co-parenting relationships, all for the good of the children. I've been at weddings where bio- and step- parents were all at one big, happy table, and all were recognized for their contributions to the raising of the happy couple. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 pm 

MzDazie wrote:

She was 16 or 17 months old when Kyron disappeared, and that was just over three years ago... So, close to 5? I couldn't imagine it either. I would be a psycho mess!

I don't know how she explains that to herself, much less how she'll explain it to the baby someday. That decision, especially ongoing for all of this time, and with the acquiescence of the court, is one of the things that causes me to be suspicious of TMH. Yes, I know it's not evidence of anything. But to me, it's suspicious behavior. I couldn't imagine going three years without having contact with our (thinks they're) adult children, much less a baby.

She'll be starting school soon... My darling husband always took that morning off from work - neither of us would miss it each year, much less her very first day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 pm 

MzDazie wrote:

I think all three of the parents involved in this have a lot to answer for, but I don't believe any are involved in this child being gone.

I hope you're right. I truly hope you're right. But I don't know enough to be so confident.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:21 pm 

To those of us who've followed this case...this is an interesting new article:

A Blink On Crime Exclusive: DeDe Spicher speaks for the first time about her ordeal in the Kyron Horman investigation.
September 4, 2013

http://blinkoncrime.com/2013/09/04/blin ... -publicly/

(snip) It was only a few weeks ago, during a meeting with MCSO detectives Mark Herron and Keith Krafve , investigators unofficially cleared DeDe Spicher of any involvement in Kyron’s disappearance or of having any knowledge of anyone elses. She is hopeful that Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill will issue a public statement from his office clearing her officially.

To date, neither the Multnomah County Sheriffs Office nor the DA’s office has publicly declared any persons cleared in the active investigation.

DeDe is adamant that she was not involved, nor did she ever see anything that led her to believe Terri Horman was involved.

DeDe spoke freely and without hesitation as to the relentless harassment she experienced at the hands of law enforcement.

However, DeDe is adamant that she does not want this piece to express any sort of “pity DeDe” perspective. She does not want anyone to feel sorry for her.

DeDe hopes that by speaking publicly, the public’s curiosity will be satisfied, and the focus of the investigation into Kyron’s disappearance can return to an actual investigation.

This is her story. (snip)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:25 pm 

Thanks so very much for posting this update, Puzzler. I'm interested in this case, but frustrated there is so little info, and rarely any kind of update. Something about that little guy made me care, even though I've never met him.

My fantasy is that someone swiped him out of concern, and is raising him far from Washington, that he's happy and well. Like I said, "fantasy." I fear the reality is pretty much the opposite.