It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 am 

WARNING: This thread is very graphic, and very sexually explicit in describing the crime(s) allegedly committed by Kaitlyn Hunt.

This case has been going on for months and while I'll bring over several articles, there is no way I can completely update this thread with all info. I hope you follow the links embedded in the posts to get a full view of the story. While the posts I tend to read have one view of the case, there are links embedded that show another side. Also, if you've been reading different info, please post it. We want the whole story told. As you'll notice, most of what I'm posting was written by Robert Stacy McCain, who has owned this story, so other views are very welcome. If you have a link to an article that you'd like added as a rebuttal to any of those posted, please let me know and I'll try to add it to that post. Thanks!

This is the first post I saw on the story:

RStacyMcCain wrote:
Liberals Now Arguing for a Lesbian’s Right to Have Sex With a 14-Year-Old Girl

But it’s consensual! And . . . equality!

Also, Kaitlyn Hunt — the lesbian charged with two counts of felony lewd and lascivious battery on a child — is a blonde who’s kinda cute, and who could object to cute blonde teenage lesbians? Here’s a local news video:

While some readers may be struggling to resist the temptation to Google “blonde + teen + lesbian,” let me remind you sick freaks that if you were to download photos or videos of what Kaitlyn Hunt is charged with doing to a 14-year-old girl, that would be a federal crime.

If the feds could send you disgusting perverts to prison for those photos, how do the enlightened minds at Think Progress manage to portray the perpetrator of these acts as a victim of bigotry?

Because it was “a consensual, same-sex relationship,” that’s why!

Also, Kaitlyn’s mom (who apparently can’t spell “zealot”) says that the parents of the 14-year-old who pressed charges are “out to destroy my daughter [because] they feel like my daughter ‘made’ their daughter gay,” and these “bigoted, religious” parents “see being gay as a sin and wrong, and they blame my daughter.”

See? You deviant weirdos thought Jailbait Lesbian School Girls was just a popular DVD title, but now it’s a civil right.

And the only people who disagree are bigoted religious zealots — including the authorities in Indian River County, Florida:

“If this was an 18-year-old male and that was a 14-year-old girl, it would have been prosecuted the same way,” Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar said during a Monday news conference. . . .
    “The idea is to protect people in that vulnerable group from people who are older, 18 and above,” said Bruce Colton, state attorney for Florida’s 19th circuit, which includes Indian River County and other parts of the Treasure Coast. “…The statute specifically says that consent is not a defense.”
    Colton said . . . this case exemplifies the purpose of the current law and added he would not support any effort to make consensual relationships among peers legal.
    “There’s a big maturity difference between them,” he said. “You’re talking the difference between a senior in high school and a freshman in high school. That’s what the law is designed to protect.”

But . . . consensual! equality!

These are the only arguments offered by the “Stop the Hate” crowd at Daily Kos, evidently willing to declare open season on Florida 14-year-olds in order to be consistent in their ideology. And if you disagree with them, you’re just a hater.

Read more at The Other McCain.

From The Other McCain: Kaitlyn Hunt Redacted Affivdavit Redacted by Sergio Nahuel Candido

Post subject:

McCain's fisking of Mrs. Hunt's face book post is italicized.

Mrs. Hunt's facebook post excerpts are indented.

RStacyMcCain wrote:
Can You Count All the Rationalizations and Lies Offered by Kaitlyn Hunt’s Mom?

The Kaitlyn Hunt sex crime case was featured on NBC’s ‘Today’ show, May 23

Below, you will find the full text of a 1,500-word appeal by Kelley Hunt Smith, mother of accused sex offender Kaitlyn Ashley Hunt. This is the original May 17 Facebook message that started the “Free Kate” firestorm. I’d seen it quoted elsewhere, but never saw the whole thing until Jeanette Runyon linked it today. I apologize that it has no paragraph returns, other than the ones created by my own interruptions:

What I’m about to share with you is extremely private and difficult on myself and my family, but mostly my daughter Kaitlyn. However im at a point where I don’t know what else to do. Sharing personal family matters with anyone, let alone total strangers is extremely scary but my daughters life is at risk, so im willing to do whatever it takes, no matter how difficult. Anyone who knows me, even a little, knows what kind of person I am. Anyone who knows my daughter Kate, knows how wonderful she is. Kate is an 18 year old senior about to graduate from SRHS. She has an exemplary record at school and home. She has always been a wonderful student, respected and well liked. She has cheered on the varsity cheer team all throughout high school, shes sung in chorus and was voted most school spirited. She has never been in trouble, ever, she truly is the model student and child.

(We can call this the set-up: She’s telling you how wonderful her child is and, if you don’t know either her or her child, you have no reason to doubt this glowing testimonial.)

At the beginning of this school year, she started dating a fellow student, who happened to be another female. This girl also played varsity sports, was in the IB program, so she was in classes with upperclassman. There was an age difference between my daughter and the other girl, of 3 years, my daughter was older, however you would have thought it was the opposite by just looking at the girls. My daughter is tiny, looks very young, and the other girl looks much older and is much taller, either way there was a 3 year age gap.

(Were I the prosecutor and this were offered as testimony by the defense, I’d stand up and object: “Irrelevant, your honor. Who cares how tall they are? If Kaitlyn were a midget and the younger girl were a giant, this would have no bearing on the law as regards the difference in their ages. And the prosecution does not dispute the fact that 18-year-old young adults attend the same schools as minors below the age of consent, or play together on the same sports teams. It’s not the school or the sports that are at issue in this case, it’s the sex. And, in point of fact, the age difference is 44 months — the younger girl was 14 and Kaitlyn was 18 throughout the sexual involvement.”)

They were both students in the same high school, it was a mutual consenting relationship on both parts.

(The Florida law specifically states that “consent” is not a defense when an adult has sex with someone 15 or younger.)

Post subject:

RStacyMcCain wrote:
#FreeKate? Movement to Normalize Pedophilia Finds Its Poster Girl

In January, Rush Limbaugh warned that there was “an effort under way to normalize pedophilia,” and was ridiculed by liberals (including CNN’s Soledad O’Brien) for saying so. But now liberals have joined a crusade that, if successful, would effectively legalize sex with 14-year-olds in Florida.

The case involves Kaitlyn Ashley Hunt, an 18-year-old in Sebastian, Florida, who was arrested in February after admitting that she had a lesbian affair with a 14-year high-school freshman. (Click here to read the affidavit in Hunt’s arrest.) It is a felony in Florida to have sex with 14-year-olds. Hunt was expelled from Sebastian High School — where she and the younger girl had sex in a restroom stall — and charged with two counts of “felony lewd and lascivious battery on a child.” The charges could put Hunt in prison for up to 15 years. Prosecutors have offered Hunt a plea bargain that would spare her jail time, but her supporters have organized an online crusade to have her let off scot-free — in effect, nullifying Florida’s law, which sets the age of consent at 16.

Using the slogan “Stop the Hate, Free Kate” (the Twitter hashtag is #FreeKate) this social-media campaign has attracted the support of liberals including Chris Hayes of MSNBC, Daily Kos, Think Progress and the gay-rights group Equality Florida. Undoubtedly, part of the appeal of the case is that Hunt is a petite attractive green-eyed blonde. One critic wondered on Twitter how long activists have “been waiting for a properly photogenic poster child of the correct gender to come along?”

Portraying Hunt as the victim of prejudice, her supporters claim she was only prosecuted because she is homosexual and because the parents of the unnamed 14-year-old are “bigoted religious zealots,” as Hunt’s mother said in a poorly written Facebook post. The apparent public-relations strategy was described by Matthew Philbin of Newsbusters: “If you can play the gay card, you immediately trigger knee-jerk support from the liberal media and homosexual activists anxious to topple any and all rules regarding sex.”

None of Hunt’s supporters seem to care about the possible consequences of issuing what Philbin calls a “Get Out of Jail Free” card to their teenage lesbian hero-victim. Some have deliberately falsified the narrative of Hunt’s crime, claiming that the sexual relationship began when she was 17, when in fact Hunt turned 18 last August and the incidents at issue occurred between November and January. According to the arrest affidavit, the 14-year-old ran away from home on Jan. 4 and spent the night at Hunt’s home where, in the words of a Sheriff’s Department detective, the two teens “put their fingers inside of each other’s vaginas, put their mouths on each other’s vaginas, and both of them used a vibrator on each other to insert it in each other’s vaginas.”

What is remarkable — and alarming to many parents — is that liberals appear to be unashamed to argue for legalizing sex with 14-year-olds.

Read more at The American Spectator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am 

NSFW PHOTOS BELOW

RStacyMcCain wrote:
Kaitlyn Hunt’s Big Gay Pride Day: Is ‘Jailbait Rights’ Now Mainstream?

[photo omitted]

The Hunt family continued their campaign to make their 18-year-old daughter America’s Most Famous Sex Offender™ by taking her to New York for Sunday’s 44th annual Gay Pride Parade. Because defending Kate’s right to have gay sex with 14-year-olds isn’t all about lawyers and petitions, you know. It’s also about marching in parades and sightseeing in Manhattan and riding around in limousines.

[photo omitted]

For those who aren’t familiar with the NYC Gay Pride Parade, it’s a wholesome family-friendly celebration of perversity diversity.

[photo omitted]

[much omitted]

Amid all this wholesomeness, certainly there were many people who agreed with the ACLU that it is ”fairly innocuous and extremely common” to play Spin the Dildo with a 14-year-old runaway:

[The 14-year-old] ran away from home to spend the night [of Jan. 4] in Kaitlyn’s bedroom where, to quote the affidavit by Sheriff’s Office Detective Jeremy Shepherd, the two girls “put their fingers inside of each other’s vaginas, put their mouths on each other’s vaginas, and both of them used a vibrator on each other to insert it in each other’s vaginas.”

Happy 14th Birthday! (Batteries not included.)

For some strange reason, a search of news sites doesn’t turn up any mainstream media coverage of Kaitlyn Hunt’s Gay Pride Parade appearance in New York City. It’s almost as if the media don’t think the “Free Kate” movement is good for gay rights....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am 

If you're familiar with the case, feel free to start commenting. Others, I'm trying to get it done. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am 

place holder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am 

RStacyMcCain wrote:
Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Returns to Jail; Hearing Today

Accused Florida sex offender Kaitlyn Hunt returned to jail Monday night prior to a hearing today in which prosecutors will argue that her bond should be revoked and that the 19-year-old former cheerleader should be kept in custody until her trial on felony charges of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Hunt, whose case has attracted nationwide media attention, voluntarily turned herself in at the Indian River County Jail about 9 p.m. Monday night. She had been out on $5,000 bond since her February arrest, but last week prosecutors filed a stunning document alleging that Hunt had repeatedly violated the court-ordered terms of her pretrial release by contacting the victim in the case, who is now 15.

Ron Barnett of Barnett Bail Bonds in Vero Beach told the Palm Beach Post that it was Hunt’s decision to return to jail pending today’s 1 p.m. hearing before Circuit Court Judge Robert Pegg.

Kaitlyn's mugshot, after she turned herself in Monday night

Gay-rights activists and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) rallied to support Hunt in May, when her family launched an online “Free Kate” movement urging prosecutors to drop felony charges of “lewd and lascivious battery” against Hunt. Prosecutors in state attorney Bruce Colton‘s office had offered a plea bargain that would have let Hunt stay out of prison, but Hunt rejected that offer May 24. Her supporters said the charges should be reduced to a misdemeanor, and blamed anti-gay prejudice for the felony prosecution.

The legal age of consent in Florida is 16. Hunt was an 18-year-old senior Sebastian River High School and her girlfriend, a freshman teammate on the basketball team, was only 14 when their sexual affair began in December 2012, according to an affidavit filed when Hunt was arrested Feb. 15. The first sexual encounter occurred in a restroom toilet stall at the school, according to the affidavit, and the younger girl subsequently ran away from home the night of Jan. 4 to spend the night having sex with Hunt.

Hunt’s case was featured in national media, including NBC’s Today show, portraying her as a victim of homophobia. Hunt’s mother, Kelley Hunt Smith, blamed the younger girl’s parents: “They are trying to send an innocent young girl to prison because they are full of hate and bigotry.”

Hunt had remained free on bond pending trial and in July rejected a second plea deal offered by prosecutors, but on Thursday, prosecutors said Hunt had violated the no-contact order that had been a condition of her pre-trial release. since her February arrest, Hunt had sent the younger girl more than 20,000 text messages, according to prosecutors, and had also sent the victim “lewd and lascivious” photographs and an “explicit” masturbation video. Hunt had also secretly met with the younger girl for “intimate contact,” prosecutors said, and both Hunt and her mother had encouraged the victim to conceal the continuing contact between them.

Read more and see video at Viral Read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am 

RStacyMcCain wrote:
UPDATE: Kaitlyn Hunt’s Bond Revoked; Evidence ‘Overwhelming,’ Judge Says

[photo omitted]

UPDATE 3:10 p.m. ET: Elliot Jones reports at WPTV-TV:

Circuit Court Judge Robert Pegg revoked bond for Kaitlyn Hunt, and she’ll remain jailed until a trial, that’s so far unscheduled.
    The judge also added a new charge to her court record — transmitting material harmful to a minor by electronic equipment, a third-degree felony.
    “The evidence is overwhelming,” Pegg said in ordering Hunt held in jail without bail.
    A tearful Kaitlyn Hunt, in a bright orange jail jumpsuit and shackles, periodically glanced at her father in the Indian River County courtroom, as Sheriff’s Detective Jeremy Sheppard testified about new evidence in her teen sex case having to do with being in contact with the victim via electronic equipment.

If you're familiar with the case, feel free to start commenting. Others, I'm trying to get it done. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 am 

I'll be adding more throughout the day and hopefully others will be adding info/comments/articles too. Meanwhile, you should have the gist of the case, especially if you've followed the links and the embedded links. :)

I know already that we have multiple members on both sides of the issues, so it should be a great debate!

:Q23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am 

The only thing I know about the case is what I have seen here at RT. The law forbids underage from consenting.

Here in South Texas, there is a lot of these type case (ie older guy 18, 19 and younger girls 14, 15, 16) Most of the time the families allow this and nothing is done, life goes on. But every now and then the parents file charges, and the young man (who is not pedophile) goes on the live under the stigma of sexual predator. And in Tx there is an online data base of the names and addresses of these people. I think it takes away from true crimes.

Now does this apply in this case, I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:48 am 

It applies quite a bit, BertaBlue. Supporters of Kate are demanding "equality" which they describe as being one of those cases that are ignored, rather than one of those cases that are prosecuted. It's my understanding that most cases that are reported are prosecuted. Those ignored are not reported.

I'm a mom. I have daughters that were once 14, and will have another that age before I can blink twice. But for me, my reaction would be the same if it were my son. If my son at age 14 was having sex with an 18 year old, whether male or female, I would demand it stop. I don't think 14 is an appropriate age to be making those kinds of adult decisions. My 14 year old could become an unwed father, for example. Yes, I know it happens, but it's our job as parents to try to protect and guide away from unwise choices.

Putting my son into the facts of Kate's case, I have tried to stop this relationship, but Kate keeps contacting my son. She even picked him up and helped him run away from home. Can you imagine how terrified I am when my son's bedroom is empty that morning? Kate's parents don't care and tell me it's not the 1950's anymore, or refuse any contact from me. I've tried going through the school, because they actually had sex in the school, which really shouldn't be allowed, kwim? I'm at my wits end on what to do to protect my son. Yes, I would file a police report under those circumstances.

I can see your point much better if the minor is 16. In Florida the age of consent is 16, and if Kate had sex with a 16 year old, instead of a 14 year old, she wouldn't be in trouble now. If she had stopped when she was told to stop, she wouldn't be in trouble now. If she had accepted the latest plea deal, no jail time, no offender registry, just stay away from the 14 year old and other children under 16, it would be over. But her parents decided to go on a media campaign and frame it as a gay thing, when it isn't. It's a "parents having a right to raise their children and protect them from young women four years older than them who want to have sex with them" thing.

For those who believe 14 years old is not too young to have sex, how young is too young, generally speaking? If she were 13 would it be ok? 12? 11?

For those who believe there should be an exemption for a four year age difference, how old is too old to have sex with a 14 year old? If Kate were 40 would it be ok? 30? 20? Don't forget - Kate knew what she was doing was illegal and said so in writing.

I'll be posting an article later that posits that Kate was abused/molested, and is acting out on it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 am 

I am sincerely trying to understand the views of those who think what Kate did was ok, or at least shouldn't be punished legally. Please post what you think, and why if possible (I know sometimes things can be hard to put into words). Please do not be discouraged from posting because of the tone/viewpoint of what has been posted so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

Sorry for the blown margins - I'm aware and trying to figure out how to fix it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm 

Bertha it applies to this case 100%. They were 2 people dating who had consensual "sex". Yes she did break the law and should have some kind of penalty for it. But here are my rubs.

A) People are calling her a pedophile and predator. This isn't even close to the truth and they wouldn't be saying that about her if she wasn't gay
B) The 14 year old was at minimum a willing participant and possibly much more
C) The 14 year old obviously has feelings for Kate
D) 14 year old kids know a lot more than anyone is giving her credit for
E) The parents of the 14 year old made this into something it didn't have to be and I suspect is is because they think Kate "made" their daughter gay
F) I suspect this type of "sex" between girls has been going on at slumber parties and the like since the beginning of time, but because the two are in a gay relationship it is now taboo
G) This happens on an all too regular basis with older boys and the only reason this is news is because she is gay.
H) 2 kids in the same peer group shouldn't be worried about charges being filed against them for getting to second base if one of them is under 16.

That is a good enough start I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 pm 

liesel wrote:
Putting my son into the facts of Kate's case

Take that from the other side for a second. Suppose your son were the 18 year old and thought he was in love with the 14 year old. Suppose they started fooling around and he was charged for it. Would you want the world calling him a pedophile and a sexual predator? Would that be an accurate description of what took place? Would you lump your son in with one of the dirt bags on "To Catch a Predator"? Would you want your son to be dragged out into public and chastised for being in love? Would you want your son to have the stigma that goes with these types of charges for the rest of his life?

Isn't there some kind of compromise where charges can be filed, a penalty is served, but a federal case doesn't need to be made out of it?

That being said, there is a possibility that she could have gotten away with not having to register as a sex offender through the Romeo and Juliette law, but I think that was blown with the text messages, which I think were mutual by the way. That 14(now 15) year old didn't get 20K messages and not want them. Lets be logical here. They both still want to be together or that ipod would have been turned over or thrown out after the first message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 pm 

mung wrote:
... They have a story about Kate Hunt the 19 year old (18 at the time) lesbian who is now back in jail because of charges that she had sex (if that is what you want to call it) with her 14 year old girlfriend. The story title starts with "Predatory Sex Abuser". While I agree that she broke the law and should be punished for that, she is hardly a "Predatory Sex Abuser" and I know that the CTH wouldn't even be concerned with the story if she was not gay. I also know that if she had been with a 14 year old boy instead of a girl, not only would they not have an issue with it, they would be cheering on the boy for getting someone that cute...

Though I'm unable to comment at CTH, I still read there a few nights weekly.
I doubt the majority of commenters at CTH give a damn whether the perpetrator is male or female, straight or gay. The issue is that of an adult having a psychological advantage over a child & the adult's criminal exploitation of that child's innocence for their selfish sexual gratification.
Though not technically accurate, I think many people view the individual that's been sexually assaulting that child as a podophile.

To Hell with gender or sexual orientation, what we're discussing here is the ongoing sexual assault that an adult is perpetrating against a child.
In my opinion; A 19 year old is an adult that should be well aware a 14 year old is a child (barely a teenager) & that the average 14 year old child is far too psychologically undeveloped to be able to conscent to having sex.

I'd see that adult brought to trial, convicted & imprisoned for their ongoing sexual assault against a child. I'm confident that adult would find plenty of willing sexual partners to satisfy their need while in state prison.
Had anybody sexually assaulted or abused one of my children, I can assure you that the opinions of commenters at CTH would be the least of their worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 pm 

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, mung!
THIS is exactly what I hoped for in this thread! I thoroughly disagree with your conclusions, as you do mine, but you put forward an excellent, thought-provoking, argument to support your views of the case. Thank you! :D

liesel wrote:
Putting my son into the facts of Kate's case

mung wrote:
Take that from the other side for a second. Suppose your son were the 18 year old and thought he was in love with the 14 year old. Suppose they started fooling around and he was charged for it.

We have raised all of our children to respect themselves and others, and so far, none have been sexually active at age 14. If he at age 18 was sexually interested in a 14 year old, I'd be very, very concerned. He would be either a)trying to hit an "easy" target, which is wrong, imo; b) may have been molested (heaven please forbid, I pray); c) totally ignoring all we've taught him; d) ignoring the law that we've explained to him since he was 13; e) maybe suffering from other psychological issues that would need to be addressed. And that's off the top of my head. There is a huge difference between a 14 year old and an 18 year old, under normal circumstances.

Furthermore, we wouldn't ignore her parents; we would take away his car keys and implement other consequences; we wouldn't allow him any unsupervised contact with her or any other young girl of a similar age; and we most certainly would not allow the 14 year old to stay over at our house, in our son's bed, after she ran away from home. We would be mortified and working with the other parents to stop the unacceptable behavior, not facilitating it.

mung wrote:
Would you want the world calling him a pedophile and a sexual predator? Would that be an accurate description of what took place? Would you lump your son in with one of the dirt bags on "To Catch a Predator"? Would you want your son to be dragged out into public and chastised for being in love? Would you want your son to have the stigma that goes with these types of charges for the rest of his life?

What I would want and what would be the right thing aren't necessarily the same thing. If our son, like Kate, knew that it was illegal but did it anyway; if he, like Kate continued after parental involvement, etc.; if we, as his parents, failed in our job to curb his behavior, well, if he's man enough to ignore us and the law, he's man enough to suffer the consequences, no matter how harsh.

mung wrote:
Isn't there some kind of compromise where charges can be filed, a penalty is served, but a federal case doesn't need to be made out of it?

Kate had the opportunity to stop the behavior before charges were filed. She chose not to. One gets the impression that Kate has pretty much always gotten what she wanted from her parents, but not what she needed, kwim? Did you see the video of her at the beach, cursing and egging her sister on to beat up another girl? Multiple tattoos, and pierced navel as a high school student, likely when a minor? Etc. etc. etc.

Kate was offered a plea deal with no jail time, but no guarantee whether she'd have to register as a sex offender or not, which she flatly rejected. A second plea deal was offered, and withdrawn yesterday iirc, where she'd get zero jail time and would not have to register as a sex offender. She should have taken it. All the minor's parents wanted was for Kate to stop having sex with their daughter. She wouldn't stop. Kate's parents wouldn't stop her - they helped her! What would you do? What kind of compromise can be reached when Kate's and her parent's only response to date is that whatever Kate does is ok with them because, um, because Bigot! Homophobe!

mung wrote:
That being said, there is a possibility that she could have gotten away with not having to register as a sex offender through the Romeo and Juliette law, but I think that was blown with the text messages, which I think were mutual by the way. That 14(now 15) year old didn't get 20K messages and not want them. Lets be logical here. They both still want to be together or that ipod would have been turned over or thrown out after the first message.

Our youngest want ice cream way more than we want them to have it. Our son has been busted sneaking treats out of the kitchen to the point we started keeping them in our bedroom for a while. We don't let them do whatever they want. We also don't let others manipulate, guilt-trip, and threaten* them, as it's my understanding was going on with the ipod that magically appeared in the minor's locker.

I'm not saying what the 14 year old did by hiding this from her parents was ok, it's not. But she wasn't under a court order and Kate was. Kate and her parents seem to be manipulative people who feel that laws don't - or at least shouldn't - apply to them. Even when 14 year old children are being harmed.

Again, thank you, mung! I'm looking forward to your response! It will be later today or tomorrow before I can reply again though. :)

*not suggesting physical violence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm 

PS - Don't forget that the Smith's weren't anxious to publicize their daughter's situation. The Hunt's, otoh, actively courted the media, developed a false narrative, and tried to gain supporters who would make multiple and ma$$ive donation$, to help their daughter evade the consequences of her actions.

Yes, their hubris, and/or arrogance, and/or sense of entitlement, and/or lack of whatever it is that would cause most to protect one's child from such exposure, and/or maybe just plain old greed, actually caused the Hunt's to go full-force-media, otherwise we'd have never heard of this case.

Post subject: old
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is appropriate and I have a now 15 year old daughter that was allowed to have a boyfriend at 14 against my wishes (my ex now realizes she made a huge mistake). We keep talking to her and I hope that she is being honest with us that she is not doing anything we wouldn't approve of. But just in case she is on birth control because we don't want any grand kids yet. If I found out that they were doing things already, I would not be happy, I would sit down with all interested parties and explain my concerns and we would address the situation. I would not; however, have him arrested (he is 16) and ruin his life over it.

Post subject: Re: old
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

mung wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is appropriate and I have a now 15 year old daughter that was allowed to have a boyfriend at 14 against my wishes (my ex now realizes she made a huge mistake). We keep talking to her and I hope that she is being honest with us that she is not doing anything we wouldn't approve of. But just in case she is on birth control because we don't want any grand kids yet. If I found out that they were doing things already, I would not be happy, I would sit down with all interested parties and explain my concerns and we would address the situation. I would not; however, have him arrested (he is 16) and ruin his life over it.

Sounds like you're a good, interested parent who avoids these kinds of issues rather than facilitates them like Kate's parents.

At 15 and 16, in Florida, there would not be criminal charges, iiuc. At 14 and 18, there is. Think about your daughter a year or more ago, and how much influence a much older (and experienced) person 18 years old could have had on her.

What would you do if the boy's parents refused to sit down with you, as Kate's parents did? What if after your efforts, and speaking with him directly, he not only didn't stay away from your daughter, but your daughter ran away, and his parents allowed her to stay the night in their son's room with him, as Kate's parents did? Is there no point where you would call LE, if what he was doing was illegal?