It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 am 

AndrewBranca wrote:
Zimmerman Redux: The Breaking Louisiana Self-Defense Case of Merritt Landry

Merritt Landry, a 33-year-old “white caucasian” shot the victim, a 14-year-old black boy, in the head. A single spent cartridge case was recovered at the scene, indicating that a semi-automatic weapon was used and suggesting that a single shot was fired. The hour of the shooting was approximately 2:00AM, on Friday, July 26, 2013. As of this writing the victim is reported to remain alive, in critical condition at a local hospital.

The victim was shot within feet from the rear door of Landry’s dwelling in New Orleans, in an area accessible only by having to scale a locked fence, suggesting forcible entry onto the property by the victim.

Read more at Legal Insurrection.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:50 am 

A neighbor saw the teens casing houses and thought about calling the police but didn't want to be thought of as racist. :wall

Congratulations, race baiters and the scheme team who persecuted GZ - YOU caused this kid to get shot. YOU told him he is entitled. YOU said anyone who questions him or his actions is a racist. YOU told him he's not responsible for his behavior; somehow "racists" he'd never met were. YOU caused the neighbor to not intervene, to not call LE to stop this before it started. YOU caused this. And YOU caused many other injuries and deaths and YOU continue to cause them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:47 pm 
ADMIN

Sundance at CTH describes it.....

Natalie Jackson Almost Kills Another Black Boy – This One 14-years-old In New Orleans….
Posted on July 27, 2013 by sundance
[...]
The neighbor put their common sense in a box, and decided to listen to the embedded narrative from the Natalie Jackson, Sybrina Martin, Ben Jealous, Al Sharpton crowd.

Like a good little white-guiltiest he/she put her common sense in the PC lockbox and decided to shut up.

Result = Another KID Shot

...more at link
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... w-orleans/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm 

Well put and exactly right. Those leading race baiters and haters are all about lining their own pockets and settling scores that are literally hundreds of years old, existing these days almost exclusively in their twisted minds. They don't seem to take the next step in their thinking to how much damage they do to those they claim to be helping - or they don't care. :wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:25 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:53 am 

Quote:
In the developing case of Merritt Landry we will have the opportunity to see what happens when the forces of racial agitation and hatred are confronted early on by the forces of truth and lawful self-defense.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/me ... innocence/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 pm 

The good guys were paying attention and apparently are fighting back early, before a narrative takes hold. Good. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm 

liesel wrote:
The good guys were paying attention and apparently are fighting back early, before a narrative takes hold. Good. :)

I don't see how there could be *much* of a narrative. The kid scaled an 8-foot fence, and was within feet of the door. There's video of his gate-scaling trespass.

The only "narrative" could come from the kid's accomplice - and surely his testimony could have no credibility.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm 

Oh, it's already started, Chip. The poor guy was arrested and charged with attempted 2nd degree murder! He's out on bond now. Make no mistake, there are lawyers in New Orleans who'd love to get an Anderson boot-camp multi-million dollar payout. The same game book was used very successfully in that case, as we saw in the (mostly failed) TM™ case; old photos, etc. It would have or will be tried again in this case, and any similar cases, until it no longer works. Even in the GZ case, the schemers got a payout from the HOA, despite all of the evidence.

I am very sincere in my belief that those who support Landry learned a lot from the GZ case and are taking steps to avoid a similar fate for Landry and their community. Yes, GZ was acquitted, and hopefully (if there is any real justice) he'll be a very, very rich man. However, GZ went through hell for the last 18 months, and there's no end in sight; in many ways GZ's life was taken from him and will likely never be normal again. GZ and his family will be looking over their shoulders for the rest of their lives, and have been ruined financially for at least the time being. None can work, etc.

I haven't done a 5T* run since last week (we went out of town for a few days) but the last time I looked, one idiot was tweeting about running across someone named Zimmerman, and demanding to know if they were related. I don't recall exactly the purpose, what the person intended to do if there was a familial connection, but I'm sure it wasn't pleasant. I mean, I don't think he said he would have killed the person, but he intended to say/do something negative if the Zimmerman he met was related to GZ.

*Traipsing Through The Twitter Toilet

Edit - correct error and clarify

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm 

This is a difficult situation to take sides at this point. My upbringing, personal morals etc - is that a human life is of far greater value than material stuff.
Had the homeowner been retrieving valuables from his vehicle when confronted by the burglar & fired due to a perceived danger to his life, I'd back him 100% without hesitation.
I struggle to reconcile shooting a person over material things unless it's to prevent a criminal from stealing a firearm which they'd very likely use to victimize society.

I'm hesitant to back the Mr Landry because the thief wasn't attempting to invade the home or otherwise endangering him or his family.
Don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't hesitate to fire upon a burglar/home invader that's endangering the life of another.

I truly hope Mr Landry didn't shoot the thief for breaking into his vehicle, that'd be a real tragedy.
I'm going to reserve judgement until more is known of the actions of both persons involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm 

I agree that more evidence and information needs to be made known before taking too strong of a position; however, every indication is that the kid wasn't going for the car, but rather was attempting a home invasion. (Who scales an 8-foot gate for a vehicular smash-and-grab?) Bear in mind: the car was parked directly in front of the home's back door.

Who knows? Maybe the security camera video shows the kid attempting to break into the car, rather than walking *past* the car, toward the home's back door. Or maybe the video shows him walking past the car, toward the back door.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hi, 70scarrestoguy! Always a good idea to reserve judgment until the facts are in, but based on what is being reported now, I strongly lean toward not guilty. Maybe it's a GZ hangover, and I'll certainly look at all information with an open mind, but scaling a tall fence is pretty strong evidence to me. He wasn't going into a neighbor's yard to get a carelessly thrown ball or something that belonged to him or his buddy. Whether one agrees that shooting someone over material things only is morally right, it's Landry's legal right and I support him. Plus, we'll never know whether the previously charged thief intended to stop at the vehicle or intended to try to get into Landry's house. Like you, though, I do hope more details are forthcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:51 pm 

Dustin Louis Stewart; The accomplice of a home invader armed with a 12" hunting knife that was killed while charging towards the armed homeowner is scheduled to go on trial 8/12/13.
Although Dustin Stewart didn't directly kill the home invader Justin Martin, he was an accomplice to the felony which caused Stewarts death & was charged with Felony Murder-1 as a result.
See: http://www1.odcr.com/detail?court=026-& ... F++1200006

Last edited by 70scarrestoguy on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

:lol When will I learn to read on before posting? What I should have posted was, "What Chip said." :)

I'd also like to add that differences of opinion are fine here, so long as everyone is respectful, which is an almost 100% certainty with the quality of the members here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 pm 

70scarrestoguy - yes, as it should be - law breakers should be held accountable for the crimes they commit and/or aid and abet, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:04 pm 

Good afternoon Chip. "however, every indication is that the kid wasn't going for the car, but rather was attempting a home invasion".

I'd read elsewhere that the teen was attempting to break into the homeowners vehicle.
If there's evidence that the teen was attempting to burglarize the home, then I'll back Mr Landry 100% regardless of what he could've done differently.

My qualm is that a human life is far more valuable than materialistic possessions & that I can't support killing a person over things except as previously stated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm 

Yeah, anyone breaking into a home is inviting an armed response, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 pm 

70scarrestoguy wrote:
Good afternoon Chip. "however, every indication is that the kid wasn't going for the car, but rather was attempting a home invasion".

I'd read elsewhere that the teen was attempting to break into the homeowners vehicle.
If there's evidence that the teen was attempting to burglarize the home, then I'll back Mr Landry 100% regardless of what he could've done differently.

My qualm is that a human life is far more valuable than materialistic possessions & that I can't support killing a person over things except as previously stated.

This is all speculation, so: caveat emptor. That said:

The police said that Landry shot the kid from 30 feet away. Landry approached the kid from the "front yard" (I don't totally understand what "front yard" means, looking at the one or two pictures available). The driveway itself appears to be barely 30 feet from the street gate to the back door of the home. I don't know exactly where the kid was when he sustained the gun shot, but it sure seems like he would have had to have been moving past the car and toward the back door of the home. The distances involved would seem to corroborate Landry's statement.

At this point, the primary legal question appears to be: can the state prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Coulter was NOT trying to enter Landry's dwelling, or that Landry did not have reason to believe that Coulter was attempting to enter his dwelling? Regarding the first point: we have been told that Coulter was unarmed. If he was intending something other than a home invasion, what was he doing? Was he attempting to break into the car? How was he going to do that, unarmed? The second point cannot be proven, absent some evidence yet unknown. Coulter had scaled an 8-foot fence at 2:00 in the morning. He wasn't there selling Boy Scout popcorn, or to steal Landry's daughter's Big Wheel from the driveway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 pm 

AndrewBranca wrote:
Merritt Landry case: Overview of Louisiana's Self-Defense Statutes]

We’ll be covering the second degree murder trial of Merritt Landry, who was charged with second degree attempted murder for his shooting 14-year-old Marshall Coulter (described as a “professional thief” by his brother in news reports).

Coulter had scaled a spiked metal fence to enter Landry’s property at 2AM, in a Louisiana neighborhood riven by burglaries, home invasions, and car-jackings.

Landry, alerted to the presence of the intruder by his dog, and acting in defense of his pregnant wife and infant child, as well as himself, fired his licensed handgun at Coulter when it appeared the “professional thief” was reaching for a weapon.

Landry’s single shot struck the intruder in the head, severely wounding him. As of this writing, Coulter remains alive, albeit grievously injured.

(The Landry’s pet dog which alerted the homeowner to the presence of an intruder within his gated and secured driveway at 2:00AM.)

Read more at Legal Insurrection.