It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with a rescue cat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 am 

We have 2 rescue cats. One is about 12 years old and is missing her back paw just below the ankle joint. We have had her over a year. She is very laid back and really just likes to hang out on the bed. Just after Christmas we picked up another female from the shelter who had been dumped almost a month before. When we got her she was very frightened and was mostly hiding. She is about 8 years old. We are having issues with the new cat being aggressive towards the old cat, which there is no reason for her to be as the other cat is clearly not dominate. Along with this aggressive behavior, the new cat will pee on our bed. This has even happened when we are sleeping. I believe she is doing this to dominate the older cat as she likes to hang out on the bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? I am not used to this type of thing because when we have dogs that have injuries or disabilities the other dogs treat them with respect instead of dominating them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am 

I've never had 2 cats, but I've had the peeing problem with my cat Tiger. I bought a plastic baby gate to put at the entrance to my bedroom. He was only allowed in while I was awake and could watch him at all times. It has also been useful after I got my puppy when the cat was 3 years old. I keep the dog in the bedroom when I'm at work and the cat has run of the rest of the house. It lets the cat sleep in peace during the day. (He could jump over it if he wanted to, but he has never wanted to!) When I'm home, they can play with each other, when the cat is in the mood to.

I also starting giving Tiger a (low cal) cat treat every time he used his litter box and told him what a good kitty he was and petted him. That has helped a lot with his behavior.

I know that vets (and friends with cats) suggest that when a new cat is brought into a house with other cats, that it's best to keep them separated at first. This allows them to sniff each other through the space under the door and get used to each other.

I would suggest googling cat behavior, cat peeing outside litterbox, and cat aggression.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 pm 

She has no problem using the litter box, this is clearly on purpose when it is done. She was attacking the older cat last night and I had to scare her away to get her to stop. They are both declawed so that keeps the fights pretty mild, but it is clear that she is trying to dominate the other cat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm 

Mine knew how to use the litterbox...he was also doing it on purpose also. Vet at the time wanted me to put him down for his behavioral issues :94 , but I refused (and got a better vet). The gate and treats worked well for me. Not sure if it'll help with your cat though. :( I wish you and your cat the best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Mung.

Great that you are taking care of the "rescue" cats :6 :cat

(Just by way of showing solidarity.. I have a 3-legged cat... car accident victim... it's amazing that a missing limb seems of little concern)

First things first. I think the cat needs to be checked for urinary problems. I KNOW cats "spray" and pee as a territorial thing.... but also it can be a urinary irritation, kidney problem etc. Has she/he been checked?

If it is a behavioural thing.. then it can be hard to extinguish.

You may have to EXCLUDE it from your bedroom. Our cats sleep on our bed all day.. but KNOW we shut the door when we go to bed... it's no big deal just part of the routine.

There are sprays with smell that put cats OFF areas... like favourite corners they go to to pee etc.

I'll think about it some more :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 pm 

Rumpy, that reminds me. Tiger has crystals in his urine. He was put on special cat food (only available with a script or from a vet). The crystals can cause pain and irritation while peeing, making the cat associate the litter box with pain, hence they avoid it. But peeing on you when you sleep is behavioral, IMO. Tiger did that once :TF and was banished from the bedroom!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

MM will that lead to kidney stones?

My Vet said nothing but canned food for cats - and she recommends the BEST for them!
I do believe we ARE what we EAT!

I started Lilly on it today. I swear her fur looks better. She is going thru this thing, getting the kibble out of
her system. She will be getting supplements too, fish oil and general.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Hi Mung.

Great that you are taking care of the "rescue" cats :6 :cat

(Just by way of showing solidarity.. I have a 3-legged cat... car accident victim... it's amazing that a missing limb seems of little concern)

First things first. I think the cat needs to be checked for urinary problems. I KNOW cats "spray" and pee as a territorial thing.... but also it can be a urinary irritation, kidney problem etc. Has she/he been checked?

If it is a behavioural thing.. then it can be hard to extinguish.

You may have to EXCLUDE it from your bedroom. Our cats sleep on our bed all day.. but KNOW we shut the door when we go to bed... it's no big deal just part of the routine.

There are sprays with smell that put cats OFF areas... like favourite corners they go to to pee etc.

I'll think about it some more :)

She had a full vet check shortly before she was dumped at the shelter and they did an exam there. She is putting on weight so I don't think it is anything like thyroid issues. Because of the way it is done, I am 99% sure it is emotional and not physical.

We used to foster for a Beagle rescue but we haven't had any fosters in a while which is a good thing because we are very busy. We have an older Beagle, a Manchester Terrier, and the 2 cats all came from the shelter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
Rumpy, that reminds me. Tiger has crystals in his urine. He was put on special cat food (only available with a script or from a vet). The crystals can cause pain and irritation while peeing, making the cat associate the litter box with pain, hence they avoid it. But peeing on you when you sleep is behavioral, IMO. Tiger did that once :TF and was banished from the bedroom!!

She was actually peeing where the other cat was, but that happened to be by my feet, when I moved my feet and put them in the puddle, I wasn't too happy. That has only happened twice and the first time we thought it was the old cat, but I think now it was the new cat jumped up did it then jumped down making us think it was the old one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm 
ADMIN

If behavioural... perhaps some vet advice... meds even. I have vet who swears by Homeopathic/herbal remedies (I refer to them as Homeopathetic... but worth a try.)

I do NOT like the idea of say scaring the cat with noise or squirt from water pistol... that will make the thing MORE neurotic.

Patience will be required.

(BTW you have a PM)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 pm 

Mung sometimes a good Vet can help too. I get such good advice about many things from my new Holistic Vet.
Love her.