It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: RT Members Pets
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:31 am 

Tiger pretends he doesn't like being picked up... and cuddled... and kissed, but I do it anyhow! (And he sometimes forgets to act like he doesn't like it.) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 am 
ADMIN

LBC does NOT like being picked up... and she has always had very sharp "pins" for claws even as a kitten. What she will tolerate is if you pick her up and put her front legs straight on your shoulder so that she is more or less "in charge" sitting on your shoulder.

Cerys is a "tart" she LOVES being picked up, carried around....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:34 am 

Mal, :heart I continue to pick Lilly up. (BATTLE OF THE WITS HERE?) :D My desk chair moves, and when I turn slowly, a little, I think she likes that. Looks like she is being hypnotized?
She gets very quiet and still. As if I were rocking her. Shhhhh I think I am winning. :86

R... :heart I think you mentioned that before and I DO that. It DOES work, putting her legs over my shoulder. She seems to be ok in that position. She can look around, and feels like Top CAT I think. :6

Probably Lilly always has to keep me off balance, letting me KNOW SHE IS a CAT and will
DO as **SHE** PLEASES - WHENEVER she PLEASES!! What a funny trip this is with her. I had no idea.
Always had dogs.

I just learned something. When she tears through the place, I think she is telling me she has a LOT of energy. She wants me to get a toy and play with her I think, which OF COURSE, I do!! She is training me too, R.
But this baby loves me, and won't leave my side. OR is that always the way with "Rescues"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:12 am 

I think rescues are very special. My rescue cat is so affectionate and seems to be happy to have a nice home. He adopted me. He came up to my house when I moved to a new neighborhood. I started petting him. I noticed he was out in rain and cold and was hungry. I fed him and gave him a warm place to stay. The day I moved from there the negligent "owner" told his name was Ben and I could have him. I scooped Ben up and never looked back. I have both dogs and cats. You are on a wonderful new jorney Joni. I can tell you have already fallen in love with each other. You are doing great as a cat owner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:20 am 

I am so tired here, maybe too tired to think, but what a sweet post. Will reread it again tomorrow.
It's been a ~

Hard Days Night :DN4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 pm 

Oh, noes, I have a new rescue dog that appeared when I wasn't looking. It was 28 degrees at my house in Florida today. I woke up this morning and stumbled into the living room. I didn't have my glasses on. My husband was in his recliner with a fluffy blanket and a face peering out of it. I thought it was one of our dogs. My husband shook his head no. On closer inspection I saw it was young small chihuahua, mocha in color with white on the face that looked like Minnie Mouse, big ears, and female. My husband said the neighbor behind us found it in his yard. He didn't want to take it in and passed off on my husband. It was trembling, nearly frozen to death, and extremely hungry. We put up signs and my husband went around the woods looking for it's owner. No takers. She has made herself at home and now wags her tail. Oh, how I hope I find where she belongs. I already have three chihuahuas, two labradors, and two cats. One more and it will be a pack, I will be considered an animal hoarder. Ever since I was little strays found their way to my home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:01 pm 

Just... a sweet one you are! If you can't find her owner, maybe you can do a good job finding a new home for her? You have to deliver, and check with neighbors, AND a Vet reference. There are so many bad ones out there! Someone might just take her and sell her! Are there Chihuahua Rescues there? Maybe as a last resort?
I wonder IF selling her would help insure she will get a good home? I won't say here what goes on ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm 

I would never advertize any pet as free to good home. They will usually meet a horrid end. I foster for a Chihuahua Rescue and they are nationwide in the US. Maybe she can contact someone on their website for help? Website is: http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/

There are other ways to find good homes for pets, but I would absolutely ask for a rehoming fee. That will insure the person is serious about wanting a pet. The rescue I foster for also does a home check as well as checks references, etc. It's important to us that the pet go to a good loving home since it has already endured some kind of neglect or abuse. We sure don't want to take any chance of allowing that to happen again. I'm always delighted whenever I hear of someone rescuing a pet!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm 

Yes seeing_ eye :86
I was so into that when back home in PA for about 30 years. Thanks for that.
There are Rescue Groups for many breeds. Some wonderful people out there!
We have a shelter here in OR that is NO KILL. They are in cages though...
I think it would be so loving to go to one of these places, and take the animals for a walk.
If I had good knees, I sure would!!
Maybe a cat can go outside too for some fresh air, petting ... on a leash or carrier? Sit somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:07 pm 

I'm also disabled and can't get out or I'd be going to the shelters to volunteer to walk or pet the animals. My daughter does though and she also takes them food and other supplies. I have no problem fostering Chihuahuas. I have 3 of my own and currently only 2 fosters. All together they don't even make one big dog!! They're really not much trouble. I have a house with a large fenced back yard and I also have a doggy door. I daily enjoy their company and feel really good about helping them. That's why I do it, knowing how they have been helped after suffering usually some kind of neglect or abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:15 pm 

A place for you in Heaven. :84 You do have a good set up.
My husband has dementia, and because of that, his decisions, we lost our
BIG house. I listened to him, was a CEO/Owner of a company.
We are in an apartment... allowed 2 pets.
Not sure how much longer we will be here, and not sure about what to do,
about getting another one. We are older now... Never been OLD before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 pm 

Joni wrote:
Just... a sweet one you are! If you can't find her owner, maybe you can do a good job finding a new home for her? You have to deliver, and check with neighbors, AND a Vet reference. There are so many bad ones out there! Someone might just take her and sell her! Are there Chihuahua Rescues there? Maybe as a last resort?
I wonder IF selling her would help insure she will get a good home? I won't say here what goes on ...

Today we did locate the owner of Chula. They had made no effort to find her. We knocked on doors and one neighbor said they were missing a dog and described her. Chula had fit in here nicely and I would have kept her, such a sweet tiny baby. She did not seem to be happy to be leaving us. If she runs away again I will keep her. I have seen this woman's minpins running loose before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:09 pm 

seeing_eye wrote:
I'm also disabled and can't get out or I'd be going to the shelters to volunteer to walk or pet the animals. My daughter does though and she also takes them food and other supplies. I have no problem fostering Chihuahuas. I have 3 of my own and currently only 2 fosters. All together they don't even make one big dog!! They're really not much trouble. I have a house with a large fenced back yard and I also have a doggy door. I daily enjoy their company and feel really good about helping them. That's why I do it, knowing how they have been helped after suffering usually some kind of neglect or abuse.

I too have a nice fenced back yard and warm fleece blankets for my chihauhuas. I have three of them. I have had chihuahuas for years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 pm 

OH that "owner" doesn't deserve her! Can you tell her you would keep her, and would LOVE to have her? Don't tell her how many you have. Not HER business.
They say any pet out there alone - - is equivalent to a 3 year old child. I just can't do that with any of mine. Never did, even before I read that. I know some don't think like me... but that's what makes horse races!! :78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm 

Justfactsplz wrote:
Today we did locate the owner of Chula. They had made no effort to find her. We knocked on doors and one neighbor said they were missing a dog and described her. Chula had fit in here nicely and I would have kept her, such a sweet tiny baby. She did not seem to be happy to be leaving us. If she runs away again I will keep her. I have seen this woman's minpins running loose before.

Oh, I wish you had been able to keep her. I'm sure she noticed the love she felt in your house. I don't think she has such love in her current home. I hope if you see her again you snatch her up. You don't have to keep her. Just see to it she does go to a loving home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:48 pm 

Here's CRT's latest rescue (DFW area). Notice the difference in the facial expression in the pictures after being fostered for only a week. Like I said, I always shed tears when one of my fosters leaves my home, but this difference is what makes it all worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:56 pm 

Awww she looks like she KNOWS she is loved now. Where is she now?
How old?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 pm 

She looks so much better I love her ears. She has character and lucky to be saved from the shelter. If Chula runs away again I will snatch her up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm 

Her happiness and knowledge of being loved does show in her face, doesn't it? She's being fostered in San Antonio. All our foster volunteers in the DFW area are all filled up. I don't know how old she is. I wasn't involved in the actual rescue. I just read about it in emails and on Facebook. She was picked up as a stray so her age will be estimated anyway.

I hope Chula can be saved too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

I was just wondering ... on Sept. 4, I lost my Lucy at age 15 or 16. Estimate too. Rescue.
I couldn't take a young pet, wouldn't do that to them. There is an AIRLINE that flies nothing but PETS! They are NOT in the luggage compartment, but IN the body of the plane. IT is not that expensive! BRAVO!!! Isn't that fantastic? FINALLY!
A Stewardess I know told me the baggage compartments are just heated ABOVE freezing so the LUGGAGE won't freeze! The flying pets in there don't count? So what do they do - make it 34 or 35 degrees? NO WONDER poor Lucy laid in front of the fireplace for 3 days and nights!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next