It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Move
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 pm 

I fell in love with that breed when they got Bo. I had never heard of Portuguese Water Dogs. Big w/curly hair. What not to love about this:

Bo as a baby!

And now , Miss Sunny!

:86 :86

Post subject: Move
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:28 pm 

:Q17

The puppy Bo is absolutely precious!! :Q17

:N10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 pm 
ADMIN

Cat Reunites With Family After A Year Apart
Posted: Dec 01, 2013 11:09 AM Updated: Dec 01, 2013 11:47 AM

ESSEX, Vt - After a year and a half apart, a Vermont family reunites with their cat.

The Brzoza's cat named "Bluey" got out of their Essex home accidentally while they were on vacation in April 2012.

Bluey was eventually picked up as a stray by the humane society of Chittenden County. They renamed him Calvin and he was eventually adopted by another family.

After some complications with his adopted family, Bluey was on the search for a nice home again.

Michelle Brzoza said she was looking to buy a new cat. She started browsing Petfinder online when she found a picture that looked a lot like Bluey!

Michelle Brzoza says: "we went on vacation in April 2012 and (on cam) a friend of ours was cat sitting for us. She let him out and unfortunately we didn't see him again."

David Brzoza says: "the first time I realized Bluey was gone, I was like devastated. We used to have two cats Bella and Bluey and when Bluey was gone all we had was this cranky, old, scratchy cat."

David Brzoza says: "it just felt so bad that we lost this cute, adorable, little cat."

Michelle Brzoza says: "I found a picture of this cat that looked remarkably like Bluey. Our cat."

David Brzoza says: "I felt like could this be a chance to get back my pet?"

Genevieve Brzoza says: it's actually amazing to have a cat that we that we lost for a year and a half. I never thought I would get him back."

The Brzozas had to prove that they were the original owners of the cat so Bluey could be home just in time for the holidays.

...more at link (VIDEO)
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/241028 ... year-apart

Post subject: Catnip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:30 pm 

http://maricopaanimalhospital.com/index.php?newsletters=19937

What Is Catnip?

I myself have come to the conclusion cats are druggies. :Gslap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
ADMIN

As the article says... not all cats go for it.

I have it growing in the garden for my cats... they seem to go for it at times... but have the habit under control. Occasionally one cat will lay claim to the catnip patch and lie in it... protect it from other cats.

I do recall a doc on TV that claimed the active "smell ingredient" was similar to Tom Cat urine... so it is tangled up with scent marking territory etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm 

My cat likes to sniff and rub against my leather hand bag. :40

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm 
ADMIN

Charlie the kleptomaniac kitty
JENNA LYNCH
Last updated 05:00 26/11/2013

Charlie the cat has put her owner Susie Partington in a spot of bother after making off with her neighbour’s speedos.

Charlie the cat is a gentle soul. She basks in the sunshine with views overlooking Hamilton Lake during the day, and leaves the hunting to her sister, Gucci.

Charlie wouldn't hurt anything bigger than a fly, in fact she dishes out kisses whenever you ask. She's a modern day kitty princess.

But a startling series of events has led her owner, Susie Partington, to believe there might be a little more to Charlie than meets the eye. The 3-year-old moggy has developed a nasty habit.

It started the same way all bad habits do: small, insignificant. Charlie the cat brought home a sock.

She'd taken it from the flat clothes horse and Partington thought it was a once off, a small token of appreciation for the love she dished out. But the mischief continued.

Now Partington stands embarrassed on her side of the fence wondering how she is to return her neighbour's speedos.

"I never see her go away, but then suddenly, there's undies in the hallway," Partington said.

She doesn't believe Charlie is a criminal mastermind.

And although the kleptomaniac kitty hasn't quite mastered the art of gift wrapping, Partington said she appreciated the gesture all the same.

"I'm going to have lots of presents by the time Christmas comes," she said. "Hopefully she finds the winning lotto ticket."

Charlie is not alone in her conquests. Many cats from around the world have made similar headlines.

In 2010, a mischievous moggy had Southampton police puzzled as he made his way around the southern English town pilfering panties, and earlier this year a cat owner in Clyde found herself with a loot of soft toys from her cat Skitz.

As of last night, the neighbours were unaware that Charlie had taken off with their swimmers, but if the freshly swiped cricket ball lying on Charlie's lawn is anything to go by, it might be time to take out contents insurance.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/9441090 ... niac-kitty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:47 am 

>^..^<

For all the cat lovers out there! Saw this somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 pm 

http://maricopaanimalhospital.com/index ... ters=20440

New Uses for Animal DNA

Advances in science have enabled the decoding of several animals' DNA. Knowing the genome of a species has enabled medical professionals to detect some diseases that have a genetic basis. But it also has other uses, even in the criminal justice system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks MBTB... never thought about animal DNA in the third category... as a "witness" to crime.

Quote:
Cases where animals are a witness are usually human crimes. Animal DNA can link a suspect with a crime scene or a victim. Transfer of DNA from saliva, blood, hair, stool, or urine can occur during the commission of a crime. The UC Davis Veterinary Genetics Lab has been involved in solving or proving several serious crimes. One was a kidnapping and domestic abuse case in West Virginia where they analyzed hair from around a drill bit and blood on a hammer owned by the suspect and matched them to two puppies belonging to the victim. Another case in Texas involved a serial rapist who rolled in dog feces during an attack. The victim owned three dogs, and they matched the stool found on the suspect to the victim's chihuahua. He was found guilty after lab personnel testified.

In a triple murder case in Indiana in 2000, a suspect denied he had ever been at the location of the murders. An examination showed that he had a very small amount of dog feces on a shoe. The UC Davis lab was able match this to the only dog on the property where the slayings occurred. The killer is now serving life in prison.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:51 pm 
ADMIN

The Cat & The Ducklings (Animal Odd Couples)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 pm 
ADMIN

Squirrel goes nuts on teen taking selfie
Last updated 13:00 03/05/2014

A teenager who took a selfie with a squirrel found out the hard way that not all creatures are snap happy.

Brian Genest, 17, of the US state of Maine, saw what he thought was a friendly squirrel on a handrail while walking through a park this week.

Being a typical teenager of the selfie generation, he pulled out his smartphone and bent to get closer to the critter.

However, an instant after the picture was taken the startled squirrel scrambled under the teen's shirt and latched onto his back.

Genest reacted just as quickly and ran screaming down the boardwalk.

"He was just in that spot where my arm can't reach him," he said.

"I threw myself on the ground, and that scared him off."

Genest's mother, Paula Wright, snapped photos of the hoopla, originally posted to his Instagram feed along with his selfie.

She thought the drama might have taught her son a lesson.

"I think he got a little lesson from the squirrel that he's not really its buddy," she said.

Neither her son nor the squirrel were harmed, she said.

....more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/1000289 ... ing-selfie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:36 am 

Thank goodness the squirrel wasn't harmed! :84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 pm 
ADMIN

H/T person on fb (you know who you are) :cool

Kitten nearly dies from vegan diet
Kellie Cameron, Moonee Valley Leader
July 22, 2013 5:00AM

A KITTEN has almost died after its owners fed it a strict vegan diet.

The horrific case at a North Melbourne animal hospital has prompted a warning about the dangers of people "forcing ideologies" on their pets.

Lort Smith Animal Hospital veterinarian Leanne Pinfold said the kitten was brought in this month by its owners, who were believed to be vegan.

She said the kitten's diet of potatoes, rice milk and pasta had caused it to become critically ill.

"It was extremely weak and collapsed when it came in. It was almost non-responsive," Dr Pinfold said.

The kitten was given fluids via a drip, placed on a heat pad and fed meat.

It remained in hospital for three days after which the kitten's owners were given meat to feed their pet at home, she said.

Dr Pinfold said as obligate or true carnivores, cats needed meat to survive.

She said people who wanted a pet that did not eat meat should consider other animals, such as rabbits.

"Concern for animal welfare has to include a biologically-appropriate diet," she said. "You can't force your ideology on the cat.

"Carnivores will seek out meat and your cat is possibly more likely to go hunting and kill local native fauna if you deprive it of meat.''

Dr Pinfold said she had not come across a similar case in her 11 years as a veterinarian.

...more at link
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west ... 6682108386

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm 
ADMIN

I don't like posting "bad news" about animals (cats) but at least this has a happy ending.

I do hope as the article points out... people do not impose ideologies on pets... carnivores eat meat. If people have a problem with eating meat, for health, ideology, religious reasons etc or just personal choice...... then by all means follow a vegetarian or vegan diet... but don't impose it on pets. Maybe do not have carnivores as pets? There are non carnivores that people can have as pets... maybe a tortoise?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm 

That kitten is lucky to be alive! I assumed most animal owners were aware (or researched) the proper diet to feed (and what never to feed) each species in order for them to be healthy! I am a vegetarian and I would never force my dog or cat to be vegetarians. (I also don't try to convert meateaters to my diet.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:48 pm 
ADMIN

Yes Mal... "some of my best friends" are vegetarians ;)

But only the Human ones.... :cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:09 pm 

I am not a vegetarian (may be on the way to being one), but I notice I have been cutting down on the amount of meat I do eat because of learning more and more of the horror in the slaughterhouses. I don't currently have any cats (I've had them most of my life), but if I did, I would definitely feed them meat. I do have dogs who like veggies now and then, but their main diet is also meat based as I buy only grain-free dog food. Every creature in this world must survive by feeding on some other creature. In other words, Mother Nature is very cruel and not very "motherly."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:07 am 

Quote:
As the baboon lay dying in the jaws of the lioness, a little baby (less than a month old) slowly disengaged from its mother’s body. Instinct took over and the baby tried to make a go for a tree, but did not have the strength to climb. At this point the lioness noticed the “little guy” and went over to investigate.

Instead of snapping the baby up in a deadly movement, she started to play with the baboon.

“The baby was showing signs of physical harm and fatigue from the whole ordeal. The lioness picked the baby up in her mouth—it was in agony watching the baby’s ordeal—and I kept on turning off the video option on my camera because it was hard to record.”

After a while she picked up the baboon softly in her mouth and walked away, then settled down with the baby between her paws.

In a strange behavioural twist, the baboon started to try and suckle the lioness.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... oic-twist/

Another link:
http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/lio ... vable.html

A most amazing big cat story. :cat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:05 pm 
ADMIN

'She tore us up!' Distressed woman calls 911 after being cornered by Kush the cat who went 'crazy' after owner accidentally stepped on her

• Teresa Gregory called 911 to plead for help as she and her husband cowered in their Florida bathroom on Saturday night
  • She said she might have accidentally stepped on the four-year-old cat before she went 'crazy' and 'ripped' them up
  • Authorities eventually arrived at the home and caught Kush, who will now be in quarantine for 10 days

By Lydia Warren
Published: 13:34 GMT, 8 July 2014 | Updated: 20:56 GMT, 8 July 2014

A Florida woman frantically called 911 on Saturday after she accidentally stepped on her pet cat - and the fearsome feline attacked her and her husband.

Teresa Gregory, 50, told the DeLand Police Department that the four-year-old Russian blue, named Kush, had 'ripped us up' and left them 'pouring blood'.

Mrs Gregory, who was trapped in the bathroom with her 46-year-old husband James, admitted that the cat might have gone 'crazy' after she stepped on it by mistake.

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-her.html

'She's never been like this,' the terrified woman told the dispatcher. 'I don't know what's happened to her. She freaked out on us today. She's sitting right there - there's no way to get out!'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next