It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm 
ADMIN

The cat came back - the very next spin cycle
7:37 AM Monday Oct 1, 2012

Tate Willson and Possum the cat.

Not many people can tell you about that awful moment when they opened the washing machine lid and realised they had washed the cat.

Adele Law from Gisborne can.

"I lifted the lid and it was the most awful sight I have ever seen."

The family's 6-month-old kitten had been through a full 55-minute wash cycle that included a rinse and two spin cycles.

She screamed to her son Tate, 7, "I just washed the cat!"

Miraculously, the kitten survived... although Tate does think she has used all her nine lives.

It was early on a school morning. Ms Law threw in half a load of washing, added the laundry soap, then had a shower.

A while later, she came back and added more clothes to the wash, closed the lid and pushed "start".

While she was showering, Possum the kitten had crawled in and curled up in the top-loader.

The family went out and came back after the load had finished. That was when Ms Law heard a "terrible" high-pitched whine.

"It was the most horrendous sound you have ever heard. I looked at the washing machine and said, 'You've got to be joking'."

Inside was Possum, who Tate said looked like "a flattened starfish" against the side of the machine, with wet fur and looking like a "half-dead skinny rat".

...more at link
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10837639

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 pm 

OMG!!! How awful. I can't believe it survived! I hope the kitty wasn't damaged in any way! :8

I never allow my cat in the room with me when I'm doing laundry for that very reason.

When my cat was a kitten, he loved to climb in the frig when I opened it. I always had to pay attention!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm 
ADMIN

Cat seemed to be OK after... I don't think I would have posted story about "cat wizzed to death in washing machine" :13

As chief censor, I spare RT members from the awful side of life :24

But what an awful thing for the poor cat to go through.... first to stuggle though clothes to get to the surface.. and not drown.. then swish... swish back and forth.... then........ SPIN!... the damned thing goes so fast!!!!

I wonder...... if the cat caused an imbalance? At least the machine would have shut down after wash and before spin went on too long?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm 

:95 And cats hate water! :39 Poor, poor kitty. Bet he smells good now though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:50 pm 
ADMIN

The fabric softener might have given him a nice glossy coat... but I don't think it should be recommended to wash the cat....
...maybe hand washing if you do? :8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 pm 

But it does seem like it's a much easier way to wash a cat! :8

:47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 pm 

Poor little baby ~ he must have been literally scared to death. Hopefully he's also been taken to the vet for a check-up; this is no way for a kitty to get a bath. :8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm 
ADMIN

This story was on my mind when I did a load of washing yesterday... hard to imagine it happening... even with a naughty kitty?

And as I stood there for the final spin... horrific to think of a kitty in there... is goes so fast and goes on a long time..

I think if the story is true at all the machine would have been unbalanced and stopped early on... but still a very unpleasant experience for the cat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:20 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
This story was on my mind when I did a load of washing yesterday... hard to imagine it happening... even with a naughty kitty?

And as I stood there for the final spin... horrific to think of a kitty in there... is goes so fast and goes on a long time..

I think if the story is true at all the machine would have been unbalanced and stopped early on... but still a very unpleasant experience for the cat.

I just can't imagine the cat surviving without any injury at all. How could he possible stay above water, then like you said, to go through the spin cycle. I know when my washer gets unbalanced it makes a lot of noise, but doesn't necessarily stop. I also know my cats would be screaming at the top of their lungs. :8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
ADMIN

And now for something a bit similar...............

Dryer drama puts Chica in rat race
Last updated 05:00 22/10/2012

IN A SPIN: Marilyn Jones talks about her guinea pig Chica who survived some time in the dryer.

Chica, a 5-month-old guinea pig, has spat in the face of death, surviving more than four hours in a tumble dryer.

The New Plymouth rodent's brush with the Kelvinator began when Chica somehow found herself in the folds of a fitted bedsheet, hanging on the clothesline near her pen.

Chica's owner, Marilyn Jones, then collected the sheets and shoved them in her dryer for 30 minutes to get rid of any damp.

"It was pretty hot in there," Jones said. "I thought I better go and turn it off because I could smell it. You know, that hot sheet smell. I don't know how she survived."

Because even when her world stopped spinning, Chica's fight for life was not over. The fluffed-up furball stayed in the dryer with the sheets another four hours before finally being freed during a bed-making spell in the half-time break of the All Blacks' Australia test.

"My brother was making his bed and she fell out of the sheet. He said he either had a guinea pig or a rat in his bedroom and I came in and there was Chica under the bed," Jones said.

Apart from a slightly increased level of guinea quiver and a delightfully soft coat, the South American pig appears to have come through unharmed. As have the sheets.

Despite owning six guinea pigs, a dog, numerous fish, a singing tree frog and an axolotl called Alex, Jones said this was her first animal-appliance incident.

The tale of survival is similar to that of a Gisborne cat called Possum which survived a 55-minute cycle in a washing machine earlier this month.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/7845901 ... n-rat-race

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 pm 

Image Those Aussies have got to start paying attention when they do their laundry! Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 pm 
ADMIN

Both stories are from NZ :62

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm 

Oops! Besides, I don't have cute Kiwi smileys. :84

:47