It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
ADMIN

Marmite, the most constant thing in my life
REBECCA TERRY
Last updated 05:00 03/10/2012

I'd just finished university study in Dunedin when I moved to Burnham in Canterbury to live with my soldier partner (now husband).

In February of 2006 he had to leave me home alone for the first time to attend a course at Trentham Camp for approximately nine weeks.

Being my first time in a house on my own for such a length of time, I was naturally nervous and lonely - I had not long been living in a completely new area of the country.

I had grown up with cats and longed for a new furry companion. My partner finally gave in when he went away for his course.

...snip.....

In March of this year, despite upping his medication and a temporary lift in condition (I now believe this was 'the calm before the storm'), we took Marmite to the vet one last time. All he had been able to do for a few days prior was focus on eating and breathing.

We knew it was no real life, so made the most difficult decision possible. We let our beautiful boy go. The vet took him away to put him to sleep, I couldn't bare to see it be done, and my husband didn't want me to see it. I was already devastated enough. I told Marmite how much I loved him, what he meant to me, and that I was sorry for what we had to do. I kissed him one last time.

Marmite saw me through my husband's two deployments to Afghanistan, the upheaval of moving to a new place, dealing with a partner who was always away and many other life events. He was just always there and now he's not.

Now, many months later, I focus on the happy memories. The cats tag-teaming to steal food from the kitchen - Scooter on the lookout for us while Marmite pilfered whatever he wanted. Marmite trying to drag a full rubbish bag out of the cat door. The many play fights between the two of them.

Thank you for always being there Marmite. You were the most constant thing in my life; I don't think I could ever express adequately how much I appreciate you, nor how much I miss you still.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/775 ... in-my-life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:59 pm 
ADMIN

A sad story.. one I can empathise with, having "lost" several much loved cats over the years.

But... I do have fond memories of them all

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 pm 

:97 Me too. After I lost my first dog, I didn't think I would be able to get another. It was just too painful to lose them. But as the years passed, it got easier to just think about all the wonderful times we had together. :89 And then I wanted another dog to share my life with! :81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 am 

I lost my 20-year old cat, Petunia, a couple of years past. I still think of her everyday. So grateful of 20 years of memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 am 
ADMIN

Hi Bodacious

Sounds to me like you need...............

KITTENS! :91

I too have grown to love cats and genuinely grieve when they die..... but it does not diminish their memories to have more cats since.

I have twice ended up with litters of 4 kittens... and a group of kittens like that all at once is a sheer joy.
They are, of course company for each other and so you get to see more normal feline interaction as well cat to human.

:8 :8 :8 :8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 am 

You're right it does leave us with fond memories when we think of our lost pets, but it also hits me at least with a terrible pang that hurts now and then when I think of them. My cat lived to approx. years but all the dogs go sooner. Wish it didn't have to be that way. What a trick of life!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm 

Rumpole, you are so right! A few weeks after I lost my sweet girl my vet called. He had found a box of kittens at his front door that morning, and thought of me. I adopted two of those babies, Max and Bob. A few weeks later a woman appeared at my door with a very angry cat in a trap. Her husband caught this feral cat, and had called Animal Control. She felt badly about this and sorry for the cat, and thought I might take it. I did. She is now a loving companion, gets along with everyone (the other cats and the dogs). But, of course, I'll always miss my little loved ones who are gone now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm 
ADMIN

Well... you are doubly welcome here as a cat person :91

There are a few cat nuts here (especially me) kjnelson is a friend who has hand reared abandoned kittens on a few occasions... there are some pics in members pet thread...
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8&p=19278#p19132

Have you got any photos of cats past or present?

If you need a hand with posting pics etc there is some info in the "Help" thread..
viewforum.php?f=15

or send me a private message.

:8 :8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

Hello BODACIOUS Welcome!!!!! :51
I hope you come here often, we love fresh meat! LOLOLOL
We love cats!!!!!! We would love to hear your stories and share your memories and pictures! :87
If you like to read, we can offer book choices, too :86
Hope to visit with you soon! :28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm 

Hi Rumpole and Kjnelson!

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I'm always very pleased to meet men who love cats. I know precious few who do. I love cats! The bad news is that I am low tech, and have no idea how to post pics. I'll need to go to the "help" thread because I would love to post photos of my beautiful furry companions. I used to do rescue but no longer have the time. I do have my three cats and eight dogs. Yes, the dogs out-number the cats, but CATS RULE!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm 
ADMIN

I'll send you a PM so we have contact to discuss posting pics if needed.

PM's show top right of the page as "new messages"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am 

Thank you Rumpole.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 pm 

Hi cat people!

I am a drooling crazy looking old dog lady. I sit by the front window and scare kids. lol jk

I have four little dogs. I had five, but lost one 2 years ago of kidney failure. When she was struggling to stay with me, I knew it was time to let her go. She was suffering and I was being selfish.

My others are aging and vet bills are mounting. So sad because I know they will be gone sooner than later. I do have one cat too.

I always remember it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I don't know who originally said that, but it's mine now!!

RIP sweet Sunday. :32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
ADMIN

As I have said... we do tolerate dog people here.... if you have any photos or amusing anecdotes there is a Members Pets thread.

http://www.randomtopics.org/viewtopic.p ... 278#p19278

Always sorry to hear of people "losing" pets (even dogs) I know how it feels.

Good that you have seen the light and are moving up to cats...

Joni is a recent convert from Dog to Cat Person. Like you, she has an ageing loved dog.. but has a cat now too.

:81 :8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 am 

murderbythebook Hi!! :86 It is hard to lose any loved one ... isn't it. :97

edit Rumpole
I moved your post to "Members Pets" Joni.