It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:28 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/elephant-mother-rescues-baby_n_1663465.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D177720

(Slide show featured in article) :79

A mother elephant comes to the rescue of her baby elephant in Spain's Cabarceno Wildlife Park

There's nothing quite like a mother's love. And elephants are no different than humans in this case, as seen in this breathtaking photo series.

According to the Rex USA photo caption, the shots were taken in Spain's Cabarceno Wildlife Park in Cantabria, when a family herd came across a watering hole that the whole group had to cross over.

Captured by photographer Marina Caro, the shots show a determined elephant mother rescuing her month-old calf trapped in the mud, notes MSNBC.

Cano comments on Rex USA, "The younger one started to slither because of the mud. His mum saw it in seconds and helped him before he fell deeper into the water and what would have been a much more difficult situation. She crouched in the mud and picked him up with her trunk ... It was magical to see what seemed like human behaviour - a mother helping her baby. It was breathtaking and I felt honoured."

Although this baby elephant was rescued, other elephants face an uncertain future due to habitat loss and degradation. Another major threat to the species, poaching linked to the illegal ivory trade, was highlighted in a recent Discovery Channel documentary. . . . . .

figg :69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 am 

Sorry, figg, somehow I didn't see this story until today...

:79 I love these type of stories!! :79

Image Image Image Image Image Image

One of my favorite books, Peaceful Kingdom: Random Acts of Kindness by Animals by
Stephanie Laland (1997)
, is filled with stories such as this!