It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 pm 

This cool cat really enjoys swimming in the ocean

Most cats shriek at the mere suggestion of water. But not Neo, a feline resident of a dive resort in Indonesia. His owner says she takes him swimming in the ocean several times a week, treating him to a hot bath and shampoo afterwards to wash off the salt water. If you think that's cruel, Neo's owners claim "he never complains, never tries to scratch us, never tries to run away." Now all Neo needs to do is learn to ride a board so he can take on those surfing dogs.

From MSN: http://now.msn.com/now/0703-cat-swimming

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
ADMIN

Great Video... Thanks, Mal :86

I have long know of cat breed "Turkish Van" that do swim... I wonder if Neo has some Turkish Van in him?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Turkish Van

The Turkish Van is a longhaired breed of domestic cat that is descended from the landrace of Van cats found near Lake Van in modern Turkey. The breed is rare, and is distinguished by the van color pattern, where the color is restricted to the head and the tail, and the rest of the cat is white; this is due to the expression of the piebald white spotting gene, a type of partial leucism. A Van may have blue or amber eyes, or one eye of each colour (heterochromia iridis). Also known for its unusual love of water and swimming, the Turkish Van is nicknamed the swimming cat. The breed was developed in Britain from a selection of Van cats obtained from Eastern Turkey in 1955. It was first recognized in Britain by the GCCF in 1969.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 pm 
ADMIN

I have also seen (At Singapore Night Safari) a Malaysian Fishing cat....a breed not averse to water.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Fishing cat

The fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) is a medium-sized wild cat of South and Southeast Asia. In 2008, the IUCN classified the fishing cat as endangered since they are concentrated primarily in wetland habitats, which are increasingly being settled, degraded and converted. Over the last decade, the fishing cat population throughout much of its Asian range declined severely.
Like its closest relative, the leopard cat, the fishing cat lives along rivers, streams and mangrove swamps. It is well adapted to this habitat, being an eager and skilled swimmer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:07 pm 

The Malaysian Fishing cat is absolutely gorgeous! :8

I have a couple of cats who love to get in the bathtub right after we've taken a shower when it's still wet, and another one who wants to get in when the shower's running!! LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
ADMIN

As I say.... I saw Malaysian Fishing cats at Singapore night safari... and you can get close...

They were like chunky domestic cats.. not swimming but splashing about in a small stream.

My LBC loves (insists on) following people into the bathroom.. loves to run around full sized bath chasing her tail... not sure what she would do if it had water in it.. I might try it :24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 pm 

Wow! My cat's terrified of running water, but I wouldn't be surprised if I caught him jumping in the tub when the tub's drying. I've caught him trying to hide in it before! :84 The look on his face when he doesn't want to get caught doing something!!! :31

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
Wow! My cat's terrified of running water, but I wouldn't be surprised if I caught him jumping in the tub when the tub's drying. I've caught him trying to hide in it before! :84 The look on his face when he doesn't want to get caught doing something!!! :31

I have a longhaired Calico who will sit on the countertop in the bathroom waiting for me to turn the faucet on so she can drink the running water! She loves to get up there in the morning when I'm trying to do my make up. Sometimes it's a challenge not to have Calico hair in my mascara! :84

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 pm 

I bet all your co-workers wonder how you get your lashes so long and full...little do they know the secret is the Calico hair! :84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 am 

How wonderful MM!! The swimming cat video. I am new with cats and LOVING it! :19
IS he just trying to get back home? A survivor? But - he doesn't look panicky does he even while going out?
I will look on youtube about how to give a bath to a cat. I might try with Lilly... :40

This morning Lilly greeted me in all her fur fineness, with a big "smilie" on her wide tail ... mid area. :24 I was looking at a sheet of them the other day. Magic cat! :37

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 pm 

My cat is now 7 or 8 years old, and I have given only one bath ... his first year! It was awful for both of us. You'd think I was torturing the poor guy. (I wound up full of scratches from him trying to escape the whole time.) By the time I finished, we were both completely exhausted. I could never put either of us through that again, but I hear that some cats do like water. If he ever should get dirty now, I use a wet washcloth on him. He doesn't like it at first, but is happy to be clean afterwards and it's not so traumatic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 pm 

Yankee or is it Southern ingenuity!! Sounds good to me! :8

I was thinking of having a thick towel ... to defend myself! :34 :12

She is such a good girl. When I had her for a couple months, she even let me trim her nails.
I saw a video on youtube that showed me how!

I can't believe a life without a pet can you? How empty, shallow it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 pm 

Oh ... and you too!

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:38 am 

Joni wrote:
Yankee or is it Southern ingenuity!! Sounds good to me! :8

I was thinking of having a thick towel ... to defend myself! :34 :12

It's both. I grew up in New Jersey, but have been a "Southerner" (if South Florida is considered "the South"...there's almost as many Northerners here than Florida born!) for 14 years.

Joni wrote:
She is such a good girl. When I had her for a couple months, she even let me trim her nails.
I saw a video on youtube that showed me how!

I can't believe a life without a pet can you? How empty, shallow it would be.

Yes...it would be so lonely and empty without them!! :81 :8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 am 

Great! A jersey tomato! (I MISS THEM!!!) I have friends too who lives in FL half the year. They have a condo down there. Smart to miss the awful witners of PA.

I am bi-coastal. Most of my life in Philadelphia and it's suburbs ... then to Eugene Oregon 7 years ago.
It is wonderful out here - the weather. No extremes where I live. But I love my friends back home - and miss them... so much. :97

I am glad we are all smart enough here to have honest 4 legged friends sharing our homes with us, who have no guile... just pure honesty and love. How blessed we are.

A House Is Not A Home :DN4 :81 :8